Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just started a new job and they're a bit stuffy so I can't really browse SA during work so I thought "oh I can probably check out some tech sites when there's downtime, that's at least semi work-related so I decided to start poking around HN in earnest.

holy poo poo this place sucks man. is this just like pure distilled tech bro culture or is there something specific to this site that makes it particularly awful?

edit: :bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Let's play "Guess the article topic!"

quote:

somenewaccount1 19 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]
I just wish the movie Idiocracy would stop turning into a f*&cking documentary. Is that so much to ask?!?!?!

US Senate unanimously votes to make daylight savings time permanent

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wolverine876 36 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

It feels like we live in such a post-truth world, even the clock will now be an untruth. Couldn't we just use standard time, and let people wake and sleep when they choose, instead of creating an illusion for them?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A HIERARCHICAL FILE SYSTEM INTO THE SLOT. ITS NTFS (NEW TECHNOLOGY FILE SYSTEM) AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE OS (OPERATING SYSTEM). I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I DO A LOT OF TREE WALKING, SEARCHING, COPYING, DELETING, ETC.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I hope someone replied to that post with “check out this wordsalad”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the nazis were very nice to me though (I am also a nazi)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NY Senate Bill S5474 proposing a universal single payer health plan for NYers (nysenate.gov)
258 points by KoftaBob 2 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 332 comments

lettergram 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Why would you want it nation wide?

Even if you “support it”, I’d much rather watch the implications from the various experiments across states. Then we can select the best option.

Personally, I’d like to see some states ban healthcare outright. Others have full coverage and everything in between. Then wait 10 years and we can see the results. I strongly suspect there would be states willing to do this.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Ask HN: Why is HN so good with keeping quality posts up and the bad ones down?
13 points by anon115 10 days ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 7 comments

a variation of this gets posted every week and the answer is always “it’s all dang” (name of the head mod) when I’m just thinking how lovely the whole site actually is

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the people he was referring to in this post formed a union because, in part, they weren’t getting a $20/hr minimum rate that newly converted temps got

even $20/hr is too much for that guy apparently

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

so the guy just wants a 1u short depth chassis with a keyboard and monitor attached?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fritz posted:

rafale 12 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

Why would u enjoy people losing their life savings? Just because they told you to have fun staying poor on the way up?

this is in response to someone on hn saying “Buttcoin”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

a random commenter actually figured out why both the primary and secondary servers went down at the same time and it’s kind of interesting: too much uptime!

https://twitter.com/jonahedwards/status/1545648218158993409?s=21&t=5aC4NhY4OBqkCdGnonperw

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

adolph 19 hours ago | prev | next [–]

DNS is a scam and has been from the start. It’s just SEO with the gravitas of ICAN and the combined biz ethos of payday lending and rental furniture. Just market your IPv6 and self-sign your certs. Provide a hosts file for people who really want to type something in to Mosaic but don’t know how.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

I’m going to become the first successful Twitch streamer with content that’s just replaying 100% not-live well-edited Let’s Play videos, with live commentary on top for the ADHD kids. If Slowbeef wants to do it then I’ll quit and help him, or any other ambitious goon who wants to make Gen Z understand that carefully edited and curated LPs are better than stream-of-consciousness uncool nerd rambling

Twitch bans video replays (must be live content is the stream is tagged live). Facebook Gaming doesn’t and the most watched live streams are just Indian YouTubers who rebroadcast old PUBG Mobile games.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dougdrums posted:

Doesn’t California have universal school lunch?

starting this year, yeah

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/sn/cauniversalmeals.asp

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fritz posted:

puffoflogic 32 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I have a theory about Twitter's often odd actions since Musk took over, although I fear HN won't like it because it may tend to paint Musk in a reasonable light:
I think that we are seeing the symptoms of a team (Twitter) who is not yet used to Musk's management style, whereby he says something like, "we should do X", and he means, "we should investigate and take reasonable actions which have the same effect as (the too-bold action) X". The team interprets the first statement too literally and actually does X, which isn't really what Musk intended. I developed this theory in the roll-out of Twitter Blue, because it matches what happened very closely: Musk publicly said "hey we're going to start charging for verification and it's no longer a mark of validated identity". The team jumped and made something overnight, but this was rolled back because it's not what Musk meant for them to do. Rather, what he meant for them to do was sit down, plan what to do, and then execute it - quickly, but not immediately. And that's what happened in the end, i.e. in the past few days.
This effect is exacerbated by the remaining employees at Twitter including those who are most eager to suck up to the new boss, frankly, leading to them jumping and doing what he said (over-literally).
Anyways, the same theory would explain the elonjet thing. Elon says, "hey posting people's real-time location is generally seen as a bad thing, like that elonjet guy, we should look into a policy against that." Overeager underling takes this as a commandment to ban elonjet. More reasonable people who are beginning to catch on to the management style go and actually develop the policy; once it's developed, it makes sense to just Ctrl-Z the actions of the overeager group.

:negative:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Re: 285k people purchased Tesla FSD

Queue29 39 minutes ago | prev [–]
I wonder what percentage of those feel they got their money's worth.

fnordpiglet 32 minutes ago | parent | next [–]
I bought it, but I bought it as a donation towards funding R&D in the space of autonomous driving. I’ve found FSD useless outside of highway driving, which adaptive cruise control does ok at. That has however changed in the last year and the FSD has improved dramatically over months to the point I can reasonably navigate door to door in a hostile and negligently adversarial driving environment like seattle without fear of imminent death. If I were evaluating it on “what could I have materially attained for the price of FSD” I don’t think I got a good deal. But again, I didn’t spend the money with that in mind. I bought it with the idea that $3b in consumer crowd funding of FSD will materially advance the end of human intermediated driving - which I think is akin to curing cancer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

apparently a bunch of people on hn just leave all their cabinet doors in the kitchen open all the time?

quote:

Ask HN: Something you’ve done your whole life that you realized is wrong?
547 points by coreyhn 10 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 1536 comments

quote:

rjmill 8 hours ago | next [–]

When my then-gf/now-wife and I first moved in together, I got really mad at her because she kept "hiding" my stuff when I left it out for more than a day. I couldn't find anything!

At some point, I yelled, "It's like you don't even want to see any of my things when I'm not using them!" Then I stopped for a second. For the first time in my life, it made sense.

The whole point of putting things away is to hide them! No one wants to look at your crap when you're not using it.

quote:

DontchaKnowit 8 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

This is so absolutely hilarious to me because this is 100% something I'd do. I had a friend come over once and then he came over again a week later and all of my kitchen cabinet doors were open and in the exact same position as they had been a week prior. He was like "dude did you not shut your cabinet doors? Wtf"

Its just not even on my radar

quote:

rjmill 8 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Can confirm. Have bonked my head on cabinets multiple times. The danger is primarily in bending-over-then-standing motions.

Life hack: if you keep all your bottom cabinets open, you don't have to bend over to see what's inside :^)

quote:

kuhewa 1 hour ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

An illuminating experience for me was a housemate and a fairly sharp one at that who wondered if we would get visited by ghosts at night because cabinet doors were always open in the kitchen in the morning. It didn't occur to her that the extremely more likely scenario was that I would scavenge around after she went to sleep and never shut doors.

quote:

ryanianian 8 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I do this. Unless the organization system is super well-mapped in my brain, I don't trust that I know where things are. Opening all the cupboards makes me feel like I can actually approach the problem of finding the toolkit I need to perform a task. Hyper-organized kitchens have the toolkits pre-assembled in bins placed in cupboards. That's hard to do.

(Perhaps related: a `util` class is basically a junk drawer in a kitchen. Some kitchens are basically just giant junk drawers. Good luck finding anything, but hey putting things away is super easy - just put it wherever it fits!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

local man bewildered by sun going down

Ask HN: The sky was orange and purple for a few minutes today in Cardiff
4 points by acheong08 2 hours ago | hide | past | favorite | 2 comments
Today I woke up at around 4 pm to see a strange orange around my window blinds. I rushed to open it up and saw the sky quickly change to a purplish hue.
I thought I had been sleeping too long so I asked a friend living nearby. Same phenomenon.

It quickly returned back to normal within a few minutes.

What happened?