Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

The government is a PAAS business. They have various customers, both direct B2C, like you and me, and B2B relationships with other companies that run business on their platform. Either way the customers pay quarterly or yearly for the services through a system called taxes.

Political activists and are a type of white /gray hat hacker who seeks to demonstrate exploitable flaws in the platform and may benefit through bug bounties from backers or through getting advantageous features implemented. Lobbyists are a kind of social engineer that also wishes to influence feature decisions.

Legislators are a type of software developer. Their job is complicated by the lack of adequate test and simulation environments, and the presence of competing interests who frequently oppose the suggested features or implementation decisions but whose approval is often needed for the PR to garnish approval.
Think of america as a network instead of a system, the hackers have seized control of the domain controller and other critical systems but they haven't compromised all systems or prevented admins from kicking them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

dgzl 1 minute ago

I think people are missing a few big points.

1) It's extremely difficult being a cop

2) It's extremely terrifying being a cop

3) It's extremely unpopular being a cop

It boggles me every time I hear people say cops need "stricter requirements" and "less pay" but never hear anyone volunteering to join the force and make real change. Look around, how many white knights want to be a cop?

The videos from Thursday/Friday night Minneapolis shape my framework for these riots, not the supposed abuse to protesters and reporters. IMO, given the circumstances, the cops overall have been very civil while taking an onslaught of verbal and even physical abuse. And don't get me wrong, I'm not ignoring police abuse and brutality.

mystes
May 31, 2006

salisbury shake posted:

if dopamine is the pleasure chemical, testosterone is the crime chemical

jlawson 13 minutes ago [–]

The other way is to just keep criminals in prison until they age enough that their hormones change and they no longer feel the urge to violence.

The good thing about this is that it works very consistently and predictably. If he's in prison, he can't rape, murder, or brutalize anyone else (prison crime notwithstanding).

Human males naturally enter their criminal phase around age 16 and exit it around 30-35. The factors governing this are biological and can literally be measured in the bloodstream. The stuff you're talking about can help some people, but for many... you can't train someone into lower testosterone levels.

This is written in typical hn style but I'm actually surprised to see an HN comment saying that men aged 16-35 are less than 100% perfect in every way.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

do you really think that poster is talking about all men 16-35, or maybe just ones with a certain ethnic background
Ah yeah yo're right. I was imagining it being like some sort of feminist "testosterone poisoning" thing, but I guess it being HN they weren't actually suggesting that all men age 16-35 should be put in prison.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

google chrome is going to hide full urls. why? let's head over to hn to find out

cletus 1 hour ago [–]

"SJW" is a pejorative at this point because the key part isn't about the ideas being expressed but the motivations behind advocating those views. It implies that despite outward appearances it's all rather self-serving, a form of getting validation and superficial virtue signaling.

So when you see major rewrites, major redesigns and controversial changes in popular products you'll often find an agenda behind it. Someone making a name for themselves, getting promoted, trying to become a "thought leader" [1] and so on. But this self-serving motivation is always wrapped up in a much purer rationalization.

These people tend to be the weeds in any organization. Left unchecked they'll grow to the point of pushing out everything else. They need to be pulled out roots and all. Some will be doing this knowingly to "get ahead". Others are simply lying to themselves. And these are often the worst.

So whenever you see anything about "protecting users", be skeptical. Look for the SJWs pulling on the strings.

[1]: As an aside, pretty much anyone who posts to LinkedIn should forever be excluded from a leadership position of any kind. That's my handy tip for the day.
Gee, an HN poster who is accusing "SJWs" of being behind the decision to only show domains in the Chrome url bar by default. I wonder where they work?

quote:

I am from Perth, Western Australia but currently live in New York City and work for Facebook (formerly Google).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oneiros posted:

unintentionally.
That's what people mean when they say "A Good Post" / "A Good Comment" / whatever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

Technically there’s no reason the web couldn’t be replaced with 1:many via Wireshark key sharing based access control to local content.
What?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

tailscale, but somehow also a CDN but also decentralized

feels vintage, like ‘rewrite google search in c’
Oh, ok. Assuming they meant "wireguard" when they said "wireshark" at least makes it just sound stupid rather than timecubeesque gibberish and there are actually other distributed encrypted vpnlike systems like cjdns that are aimed approximately in this direction.

"Wireshark key sharing" sounded like they were sharing session keys for SSL traffic for some bizarre reason.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 20, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also the only people more boring than ufo deniers are evopsych deniers. Denying the basic economics that mathematically play out in gene pools. In brains that are indifferently assembled by gene pools. Really, it goes back to nearly everyone having poor intuition about the power of exponents, such as after n generations.

Or pretending that gender is not an important variable in gene pools, under the delusional view that the act of reproduction requires that both genders pay a remotely comparable investment cost.

Not just people who hate chud evopsych evangelicals, but who flatly rule out the whole inquiry because of that association. Boring.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh wait, that wasn't from HN.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe he's catholic?

mystes
May 31, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

i went and read the blog in question and it read more like someone who was ESL rather than GPT-3 but i guess if he was doing minor edits to it then that makes sense.
I saw it on hn but didn't read it because it sounded like a generic content farm article. Now that I know what it is, I went and read it and I'm actually kind of terrified at how similar it really is to a content farm article.

I can actually understand why that poster got downvoted for saying it was gpt-3 because even thought it seems like it's just filler and it doesn't really make sense, it's hard to believe that a computer wrote it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

people seem to get really excited about being able to use x11 on a computer on the other side of the world, as if you could do this without wishing you were dead. it's worse than any other way of sending screen contents long-distance except that it narrowly beats out having your elderly mother explain to you over the phone what she's seeing on her screen
Yeah I don't get it. It seems to be completely unusable now anyway. Rather than whining about network transparency, people should just focus on making something that works as well as RDP for Wayland.

mystes
May 31, 2006

btilly 3 minutes ago [–]

The answer to the implicit question is simple and obvious.

The stereotypes that proved accurate were often ones which people, for political reasons, wished to be inaccurate. Finding or quoting evidence that supported the stereotype was likely to be career suicide. By contrast insisting that the stereotype was wrong was not.

A simple example will demonstrate this. There is a stereotype that blacks are stupid. In fact on IQ scores, the average black scores in the bottom quartile of whites. (See https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-black-white-test-scor... for a reference.) The traditional response is to criticize the IQ test as racist, and not to accept that there might be merit to the stereotype.

This is not to say that there aren't very smart blacks - very few whites are as intelligent as blacks like Neil deGrasse Tyson or Barack Obama. But according to the data, the average black is significantly less intelligent than the average white.

Now imagine your average progressive leaning social sciences department. You can guess the reaction to anyone saying, "According to the data we should expect the average black that we encounter to be unintelligent." Data notwithstanding, the reaction will be much better if you say, "There is no evidence for the widespread bigoted opinion that blacks are stupid." So people say the second thing, and avoid the first.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GordonS 13 hours ago [–]

I've been using Marten for maybe 3 years now, and I absolutely love it! It's extensible too, so you can do just about anything with it - for example, I use it with views, multi tenancy, a base for aggregate queries and all sorts, and it works great.

The core team is really responsive on both GitHub and Gitter too, and are happy to both accept and help with PRs - it's (almost) the model of a well run OSS project.

One small thing tho... the original developer, Jeremy Miller, can be a bit... spiky; like you ask a question and he just assumes bad faith and will snark at you. I imagine this behaviour has put at least a few people off contributing and using Marten. I almost feel bad about mentioning this, because I'm a fan of his work, but OTOH I kind of hope Jeremy reads this comment and takes it constructively.

jeremydmiller 9 minutes ago [–]

Jeremy finds your “comment” behind an anonymous name on a very public board to be extremely obnoxious and a prime example of the kind of online interaction that tends to sour me on OSS.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xik posted:

Men can be fired for taking paternity leave (boingboing.net)

startrek9921 4 hours ago
Not saying I condone this but... Sometimes you gotta read the room.
Disney streaming was probably about to launch. There are certain times in life (initial launch being one of them) that you don't want distractions. A new family is a HUGE distraction.
Also, not sure the snark was necessary:
> Could universal paid parental leave finally be the issue that unites Men's Rights Activists and Actual Normal Gender Equality Activists?
You don't want employees to have the distraction of new kids, so clearly you should fire them even if they don't take parental leave.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

ciaphas is the only person in the world who can write 2000 lines of C and have it compile and work the first time
C tends to compile and segfault, but c++ is apparently like a magic eye puzzle where if you spend enough time looking at it, there's a modern language hidden inside.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm amazed that there's still anyone who cares about correct rest verb style between the people who are like "gently caress it just dump it in the json and call it a day" on one hand and the megalomaniacal graphql fetishists on the other.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 31, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

clearly each page loaded should make a separate POST request to the server to update the last page read
Each individual post as you scroll down.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SMS 2FA is weak, but it does two things: it shifts the attack from a passive opportunistic one to a targeted one, and, 2. in unionized environments you can add a second compliance factor without distributing new devices, "training" people to use TOTP apps, or "forcing" people to install an app on their personal devices.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Almost every comment in this thread about racism at coinbase is horrible: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25229544

There's one sane comment trying to call out the other comments:

quote:

Reading through the comments as black person is depressing.

Many of the comments question whether the accusations are even true or collusive attack because of an unfounded accusation that black people tend to be SJWs (stereotyping). Others blame affirmative-action, bad schools, etc. (classic misdirection). Some even venture into the possibility that a black person complaining about being passed over for promotion might just not be good enough for the job and then just blame discrimination rather than facing the truth (pure gaslighting). Others just go on to attack the New York Times (attacking the messenger). I am waiting for the data science guru to synthesize statistics about how everything is just fine!

I am not going to pretend to be the arbiter of truth here, but can we just take a moment to imagine the possibility that racism (specifically against black Americans) is a problem in America in 2020? Is it such a stretch of the imagination? I mean if we can unquestioningly believe that cryptocurrency is viable currency, we can certainly give the benefit of the doubt to the black workers who have abandoned the company.
But it has some crazy responses:

quote:

I apologize in advance because you seem to be emotionally invested in this, but I really do not understand the questions you pose in your comment. What did you actually expect from the discussion? Were there not enough comments against Coinbase? Were there not enough comments outraged about the perceived racist behavior of it? Do you think none of those commenters "imagine the possibility that racism is a problem in America in 2020"?

Let's assume that I am 100% certain of all the accusations. How many types of comments do you expect to see about this? Condemn the company, point out systemic racism doesn't just affect Coinbase but everything, offer condolences and sympathy, support efforts to reduce racism. All of these comments exist in the thread.

What if I don't believe all the accusations are true? There are multitudes of reasons why that could be the case, which reflects in the number of possibilities being commented on. By your own contention, racism is a problem in America, so you would expect at least some of the comments to be racist, or at least controversial. You seem to have focused only on the worst ones, ignoring the discussions that followed them, whether positive or negative. You've ignored all the nuanced positions or straw-manned them. You're dismissive of people's comments or concerns while simultaneously asking people to not be dismissive of your concerns. I really don't get it.

quote:

When accusations of racism are being thrown around carelessly and people are having their reputations destroyed and lives turned upside down because of a single thing they (allegedly) said, the potential future targets of these accusations realize that the stakes just became much higher for them. So why would they support and enable those that might come for their own heads next?

It's rational to be antagonistic in such a situation.
That last one really seems like it was written by a psychopath.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 28, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

xtal posted:

A lot of companies copied or even reached out to coinbase after their post
Clearly the solution to this type of problem is to preemptively fire any employees who aren't white straight men but have somehow miraculous made it past your discriminatory hiring process.

mystes
May 31, 2006

roenxi 3 hours ago [–]

> ... an “all star” culture, with mostly young white and Asian men.

Up until yesterday I was very confused at how a tech company could be accused of racism while simultaneously having a (presumably) vast over-representation of Asians who - to the surprise of some - are a minority.

I have since learned [0] that there are literally a large group of people who have redefined "racism" to "unequal distribution of privileges between white people and people of color".

I think it would be necessary for the NYT to be using that definition here to distinguish this from an ordinary labour dispute. I've seen non-black teams where half or more the people quit.

[0] https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art

tomp 4 minutes ago [–]

> You can be racist about other minorities even while enthusiastically supporting one minority group

How do you in your mind construct a person with this kind of mindset? Historically, a lot of "racism" or other kinds of ethnic "othering" hatred was between very similar ethnicities - e.g. Nazis and Jews, or Japanese & Chinese & Korean. Even nowadays the "racist" far factions in the US are "white supremacist", and dislike pretty much everyone across the board - Jews, blacks, lations, ...

So my prior is that it would be highly unlikely to find a non-trivial number of people who are racist against blacks yet pro Asians, let alone a whole industry (in California, a generally left-wing state!).

mystes
May 31, 2006

pyrrhotech 9 minutes ago [–]

I felt like that until I got to around $2.5 million liquid net worth. Now I still like money, but each additional dollar is starting to show diminishing marginal utility. Though of course I'm still trying to grow my net worth, it's no longer the main focus of my life, especially now that I'm "retired" from my main career at least. I split my time between gaming, running, reading, socializing and working on my trading bot (got rich the old fashioned way of saving my salary, the bot is for fun and to grow hopefully faster than SPX with better Sharpe ratio, so far so good).

I think while you don't have "FU money" it's important for money to be the main focus of your life. You don't have freedom if you don't have a lot of money and you can't be 100% happy without freedom, at least in my experience, though I know opinions vary here.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just wait until these people hear about a great new framework I just made that allows you to write css just by adding new "style" attributes without having to deal with separate css files at all.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I find it hard to evaluate stuff like that because, first of all, it's hard to know who to believe from the outside in this kind of situation, but also because lots of Googlers seems to feel like it's their job to go on HN whenever Google is mentioned and defend it from any criticism.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

MattGaiser 1 hour ago [–]

It is mentioned in the article, but I also have seen this anecdotally.
How often do school libraries have things boys want to read? In high school, even among those who did read, very few of us ever used the library because it mostly had fantasy novels, fiction, etc. My friend group wanted to read about history and economics, topics not really covered.
I'm surprised the Young Libertarian Club didn't want to shut down the school library entirely.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i bet mr gaiser's friend group was the kids who wore top hats and capes to school
Those kids probably actually read fiction. His friend group were the kids who wore ties even though there was no dress code.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Someone posted this ("Most of What You Read on the Internet is Written by Insane People") on hn.

In this title, "insane people" is just a humorous way of saying that people who spend time doing things like writing reviews on the internet are not representative of average people simply by virtue of doing those things, which most people don't do, so I'm sure hn can totally have a reasonable discussion about this without people immediately deliberately misunderstanding the meaning of "insane people" and disingenuously twisting the point to suit their own agenda, right?

quote:

jcims 10 hours ago [–]

I'm a middle-aged, white, cis male heterosexual married father that has started and run companies, hired and managed engineers, make ok money, lean a bit right of center politically, worked for the government, large banks, healthcare and retail and lives in a rural location in the midwest.

What you've described is something I experience in almost every facet of my life. I'm so blandly stereotypical it hurts yet somehow the rampant generalizations that are used to describe me, my values and my motivations are so hilariously wrong the vast majority of time that I don't even bother to argue because there's nothing to even work with as a ground truth.

The most recent reality check I've had is this year when I finally started using Twitter. I loaded up on folks in my industry only to be blindsided with a barrage of insanity. Honestly think that 75% of the people in my feed in serious need of a wellness check. I can't imagine the damage being done to young folks observing the behavior of adults on that platform.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

lognoise 37 minutes ago [–]

I'd work for the devil himself for 500k/year, and just convince myself he was misunderstood.

"Blood on your hands" - oh boo-boo.

Blood washes out.
I feel like that person at least has more self awareness than most HN posters.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine being a straight white male brain genius who's working from home making six figgies developing a platform for evil corporations and far right fake news while other people are dying of coronavirus and starving to death and trying to figure out a way to justify that to yourself with a generous application of the just world fallacy and eugenics. Furthermore, imagine that everyone you work with is racist and sexist and encourages you to cultivate a belief in :biotruths:.

Then imagine that you find a perfect site where like minded capitalist apologists and temporarily embarrassed entrepreneurs like you frantically try to justify the corrupt system in the hopes that your internet farts are going to prop it up for long enough for you to make even more obscene amounts of money from investors while the rest of the world burns to ashes from global warming.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 10, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

As an hn poster you are acutely aware that programmers in India earn far below US minimum wage. Since this is clearly good and just, you MUST make american exceptionalism the core of your moral philosophy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

the 'myers' of 'myers-briggs' wrote a couple of detective novels back in the day, the second one was about a rich family whose members kept killing themselves and the big reveal as to why was that they had a black ancestor whose blood was in their veins

Chris Knight posted:

it's just corporate phrenology

mystes
May 31, 2006

On an article titled "A MeToo scandal means an average 1.5% loss ($450m) in company value" there's a single comment right now:

quote:

commandlinefan 28 minutes ago [–]

The linked article doesn't make a distinction between accusations that are found to be true or false - suggesting that bad-faith accusations are just as damaging as those found to be accurate.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Article:
America's 1% Has Taken $50T From the Bottom 90%
(It's about income stagnation.)

Top comment
Correction: The Fed's policies have taken $50T of wealth from the Bottom 90%.

:sigh:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine being a guy with a happy family making 6 figures and waking up every day and being miserable because you can't stop thinking, "man if only I had ignored my family for 10 years and gotten divorced so I could be more like TechLead on youtube."

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

hasn’t he been job hopping between FAANGs because everyone hates him
He's also divorced because his family hates him.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean I don't think his ex-wife is causing his job hopping

mystes
May 31, 2006

mrmcd posted:

So trying to sell yourself as "ex-Google Tech Lead and coding god" is a hilarious bit of YouTube grifting tbh.
I thought it was supposed to be a joke when I first saw it and I have to say that if the youtube money ever dries up he should consider shopping his story out because I would absolutely pay to watch a fictionalized tv show about him destroying his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even if you aren't going to freeze to death or whatever, why would you really want to micromanage your power usage on that level to hopefully save a few bucks?