Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

A few hours ago, the shard you see was still attached to the glass. A little crack was going down the curved side before.
After I noticed the crack a while ago, I tested its strength by putting pressure on the sides. Worked totally fine and I used that glass for years.
Today while doing the dishes when I put my hand and a sponge into the glass, the shard broke off.

So, please don't hand wash any glasses that have a small crack. Throw them out! Even if they seem stable.

If you want to see what can happen when you hand wash a glass that suddenly has a sharp edge, click this link. It's a bit bloody and maybe NMS. https://imgur.com/a/YrqgzQL

PSA End

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How does one cut the outside of the hand when washing dishes?! Sorry about your fingat tbh

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Colonel Cancer posted:

How does one cut the outside of the hand when washing dishes?! Sorry about your fingat tbh

RabbitWizard posted:

when I put my hand and a sponge into the glass, the shard broke off.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Colonel Cancer posted:

I’m guessing OPs hand was inside the glass when it broke.

Efb

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
That cut looks like Jack Skellington's smile

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

"Oops, I sharded"
- OP's cup

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

My father once had that happen to a wine glass he was cleaning. When he went to the ER to get it stitched up, they called it a 'housewife's cut' since only women wash dishes.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I just heard that you need an imgur account to view those? Here are the timg's

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I have that exact same glass, I'm pretty sure I stole it from bar or restaurant by walking out with it.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Glass is chaotic evil and not your friend. Same goes for your windshield.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
eat rear end not glass.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

It is 2019 who the hell handwashes dishes? Just put it in the dishwasher and push the start button.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You got years of reliable service from that cracked glass until you clumsily aped your oversized paw inside it, you belong behind bars OP.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
On the second day that I lived in my first by-myself apartment, I decided to do the responsible adult thing and wash my dishes right after I used them. I ended up getting cut in a similar but not NEARLY as severe fashion, and 10 years later the scar is still (barely) visible.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

How’s that chunk of glass not covered in blood?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Get get a bottle brush pronto, OP. I cut myself on a hurricane glass in a similar way years ago, and I learned my lesson.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I had one of those big glass pint mugs that they use at lovely sports bars. You can pick them up for cheap at your local thrift store, because they almost always have a crack in them. The one I had was like this, big crack around the circumference of the bottom, but it hung in there for years, until one day when I made myself a big old whiskey coke and the entire bottom dropped out. What a mess. Nowadays I just throw a glass out if I even think it might have a crack in the near future.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i did this once and it sucked

it healed ok and i actually just let the skin fuse back

good luck friend

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Traxis posted:

It is 2019 who the hell handwashes dishes? Just put it in the dishwasher and push the start button.

I know, like, this was Enrique's first holi(half)day in 8 years and this happens!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ITT, OP thought that crack was ok until it was too late

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone mention masturbating with a bandaged hand yet? Soaks up the blood, soaks up the cum, and now you have a homemade cum covered boxing glove. :hehe: :fh:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I live in the USA and don't have insurance so if that happened to me id probably either just lose my hand or sell all of my possessions and have to move back in with my parents.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

cinni posted:

Did anyone mention masturbating with a bandaged hand yet? Soaks up the blood, soaks up the cum, and now you have a homemade cum covered boxing glove. :hehe: :fh:

you could really sock it to em with a cumbination of punches

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i have a small v shaped cut from a glass breaking while i hand washed it. thats the shape you get when you pull your hand out and away really fast instead of whatever crazy reaction op had. looks like he removed his hand with a twisting back and forth technique

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
Everytime I look around, I see
So much fakeness goin down
broken glass is a natural predator of humans

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have the same glasses

You can pretend youre Mediterranean and drink wine out of them or Arabic and drink esspresso out of them.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I live in the USA and don't have insurance so if that happened to me id probably either just lose my hand or sell all of my possessions and have to move back in with my parents.

I had this happen to me. Cut some tendons so I couldn't move my fingers, I had to have surgery and a few months of occupational therapy.

And it was all free haha suck poo poo americans.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Womp posted:

I had this happen to me. Cut some tendons so I couldn't move my fingers, I had to have surgery and a few months of occupational therapy.

And it was all free haha suck poo poo americans.
by ensuring only the fittest survive we will give rise to the next stage of human evolution
go to any of our wal-marts. the mutant genes are thriving

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

I want to run my finger down the bumpy stitches

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i had this happen to me but i didn't cut myself because i'm strong and manly

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

A few years ago, I snagged and cut my lip on a glass that I had forgiven for being damaged and kept to have the set complete. Even after the cut, I still washed it in the sink. Then, one night, I was washing it and it just broke in my hands. I threw it away thinking that I was lucky that I didn't break it on my face. So, from then on, I just toss glasses with chips in them. They're not worth the harm.

I do this with the wine glasses at work, if I see a chip on them, Id rather toss it and get a new one than have a guest slice up their face.

I hope for a speedy recovery for everybody itt with injuries, and kudos for being neat and tidy <3

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

I'm Australian so it was deadly venomous glass unlike placid American glass

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Paul Bunyan blessed us with plain glass so that he and Johnny Appleseed can travel the countryside unpoisoned

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
bright side: sick hand scar to woo the ladies and/or men with

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

you used that glass for years and today you thought, you know, it's getting about time I washed this

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
They say you shouldn't use cracked dishes and glasses because bacteria move into those cracks and hang out in there and eventually move out to kill you.

Mooey Cow fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 16, 2019

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Mooey Cow posted:

They say you shouldn't use crashed dishes and glasses because bacteria move into those cracks and hang out in there and eventually move out to kill you.

Empty Nest Syndrome can be quite fatal

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personal anecdote, thanks for reading: I live with my grandparents, who historically have hated throwing out absolutely anything that has some feasible use remaining. There are several glasses in the cupboard that I'm afraid will just explode in my hand if I try to drink from them because, according to my grandma, "the scratch doesn't go all the way through so it's okay". We share ownership of the house, so technically if I wanted to I could just get rid of them and buy new kitchen-ware, but then they would hold a grudge against me until they trip and fall into their graves and I don't wanna spend the last 5 years of their lives with them sniping at me about cups

edit: For reference, I accidentally dropped a jug of arnold palmer arizona tea because I was weak from crohns surgery literally 2 years ago, and any time I am seen with one in my hand they go "wooAAHH watch OUT CJ don't DROP it ha ha ha". Why are old people like this

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

They say you shouldn't use cracked dishes and glasses because bacteria move into those cracks and hang out in there and eventually move out to kill you.

im fine with bacteria. it's my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Is playing the Ol Switcheroo with the cups a possibility?