Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If you're a car, I expect you to drive. If I'm moving towards your lane of traffic, it's because I intend to walk behind your vehicle as you continue on your way. For the love of god and all the traffic behind you and all the incoming traffic in the lane I'm currently in, do not loving stop for me. And then don't roll down your goddamn window to yell at me because you were idiot enough to throw everything off. Stop being terrified of jaywalkers and just keep driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
You're supposed to use the sidewalk to walk OP

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

yes. the people assuming the scrub without a car would be dumb enough to walk into traffic and get killed are the ones who are wrong.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It's a city. How do you function without walking through traffic?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I am NOT a car

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

if you're in a city and you don't cross at a loving crosswalk then you are at fault for "throwing everything off" as you say

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

food court bailiff posted:

if you're in a city and you don't cross at a loving crosswalk then you are at fault for "throwing everything off" as you say

Yeah, man, but it's another 50 feet down the road! That's so much effort!

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Here its give way to pedestrians generally and everywhere.

But I know when im at a crossing and I can look and see the cars and I step back and gesture please car go forward.

Its my right to walk but im saying no, theres no cars you go...

and they dont and I walk and they are stuck for the next 10mins

and im like gently caress you

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Don't stop for me. I'm walking my dog and she's smelling the pole on the corner. Don't wave me along after I already waved you along. I'm not even going that way.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
apparently this is a real issue if you're a pretty girl, or just any girl, people will start slowing down "to let you across" from halfway down the block if you look like you might be planning on crossing the street sometime in the next month

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

Actually many cities it's legal to cross at unmarked areas so long as you give way to motor vehicle traffic, which is exactly what this thread is about. I'm sure you're a very good driver though and never make any mistakes ever, not like all those other idiots!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Here are some things that grind my gears when I am driving: my clutch

lol just kidding folks. A little automotive humor. I actually have no idea what a clutch is.

Anyway:

People not accelerating quickly enough. Don't go 15 miles per hour for 200 feet after a light turns green. People expect you to ramp up your speed.

People who brake way before a turn lane. Turn lanes exist so you can get in them without braking and then slow down once you're in the turn lane. If the turn lane isn't packed with cars and you're hitting your brakes to get into it, you're driving too danged fast.

Overly cautious people. There's no need to slow down to 1 mile per hour to make a turn.

People who back into spaces. Unless you're a getaway driver there's no need. I'm tired of waiting 2 extra minutes for you to figure out how to get into a spot and make 5 mistakes when I simply need to get to CVS.

Don't go the exact same speed as the car next to you on a two lane road.

Stop honking your horn at the car in front of you .000002 seconds after the light turns green.

Sincerely,

an utterly infallible driver

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The Walrus posted:

apparently this is a real issue if you're a pretty girl, or just any girl, people will start slowing down "to let you across" from halfway down the block if you look like you might be planning on crossing the street sometime in the next month

Huh. This reasoning never occurred to me before and now I feel like I'm going to be even more pissed off the next time it happens.

Blank McBlankerson
Feb 21, 2013

me your dad posted:

Here are some things that grind my gears when I am driving: my clutch

lol just kidding folks. A little automotive humor. I actually have no idea what a clutch is.

Anyway:

People not accelerating quickly enough. Don't go 15 miles per hour for 200 feet after a light turns green. People expect you to ramp up your speed.

People who brake way before a turn lane. Turn lanes exist so you can get in them without braking and then slow down once you're in the turn lane. If the turn lane isn't packed with cars and you're hitting your brakes to get into it, you're driving too danged fast.

Overly cautious people. There's no need to slow down to 1 mile per hour to make a turn.

People who back into spaces. Unless you're a getaway driver there's no need. I'm tired of waiting 2 extra minutes for you to figure out how to get into a spot and make 5 mistakes when I simply need to get to CVS.

Don't go the exact same speed as the car next to you on a two lane road.

Stop honking your horn at the car in front of you .000002 seconds after the light turns green.

Sincerely,

an utterly infallible driver

You forgot blinkers. Assholes who dodge in an out of traffic without using blinkers then honk at you for cutting them off when you have had your blinker on for 2 minutes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dazerbeams posted:

If you're a car, I expect you to drive. If I'm moving towards your lane of traffic, it's because I intend to walk behind your vehicle as you continue on your way. For the love of god and all the traffic behind you and all the incoming traffic in the lane I'm currently in, do not loving stop for me. And then don't roll down your goddamn window to yell at me because you were idiot enough to throw everything off. Stop being terrified of jaywalkers and just keep driving.

So for every person like you there are 20 people that will expect the car to stop. I Stop for idiots like you because if I don't I will go to jail when your dumb rear end gets splattered on my car. Use the goddamned crosswalk.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Dazerbeams posted:

I loving feel this my man. My job requires me to walk across streets all day long, and that awkward pause where I'm waiting for them to pass, and they're having a crisis deciding whether or not to stop is loving excruciating. It shouldn't be; they're probably just being polite. If they even slow down a little or hesitate, I'm going for it. If I get hit, oh well, I'm on the clock.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

pixaal posted:

So for every person like you there are 20 people that will expect the car to stop. I Stop for idiots like you because if I don't I will go to jail when your dumb rear end gets splattered on my car. Use the goddamned crosswalk.

If you can't make a quick judgement call to confirm that I will not be in front of your vehicle as you drive past, maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
loving. old. people.

old people do this all the time where I live it's infuriating

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

:same:

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Please just make passenger vehicles have the legal right of way on all roads everywhere always regardless of circumstances. Then if pedestrians want to roll the dice on running across the road they do it with the full knowledge that they will 100% be at fault if a car collides into them up to and including paying for damages to the driver's vehicle. This will allow drivers to keep the flow of traffic going without having to make split-second judgements about whether the person attempting to jaywalk is a competent person who can gauge the flow of traffic or a dimwit with no sense of self preservation.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Oh yeah:

People behind you who see you have your blinker on, and then they swerve into your lane without letting you get over. Jerk.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Dazerbeams posted:

If you can't make a quick judgement call to confirm that I will not be in front of your vehicle as you drive past, maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Keep Driving: Stop Driving

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
I'm sorry you got yelled at OP

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
baby wont you drive my car

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
If you look like you're gonna cross, I'm probably going to slow a bit. If you do something like step out into the street before I get to you, I'm gonna stop. Not because I'm being nice, but because in general, people have pretty lovely situational awareness and an inflated sense of self importance, and if I run you over because you walked out into the street without looking it's my rear end that's going to get nailed to the wall. I mean, yeah, you're gonna get maimed or dead, but I'm the one getting sued or going to jail because you weren't paying attention or just assumed I would stop, and I'd rather not deal with that.

In short, I ain't doing it for you. I'm doing it for me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dazerbeams posted:

Huh. This reasoning never occurred to me before and now I feel like I'm going to be even more pissed off the next time it happens.

It happens to me occasionally, my gf tells me it happens to her daily. Even the most charitable explanation is sexist as hell, and the far more likely explanation is that it's insanely creepy.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Please just make passenger vehicles have the legal right of way on all roads everywhere always regardless of circumstances. Then if pedestrians want to roll the dice on running across the road they do it with the full knowledge that they will 100% be at fault if a car collides into them up to and including paying for damages to the driver's vehicle. This will allow drivers to keep the flow of traffic going without having to make split-second judgements about whether the person attempting to jaywalk is a competent person who can gauge the flow of traffic or a dimwit with no sense of self preservation.

Also, it's far easier and faster for a person to stop walking than it is to stop a 3000+lbs vehicle traveling 35+mph.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
There's no reason to ever be mad at anyone, especially when i'm under the wheels of a car.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

me your dad posted:

Oh yeah:

People behind you who see you have your blinker on, and then they swerve into your lane without letting you get over. Jerk.

People who swerve into the right lane at the last second at a red and block up a line of cars waiting to turn right, and then don't even accelerate away faster than the person now on their left.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The speed limit is a minimum and gently caress anyone who disagrees.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I AM a car

vroom

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Walrus posted:

People who swerve into the right lane at the last second at a red and block up a line of cars waiting to turn right, and then don't even accelerate away faster than the person now on their left.

We had a false fire alarm today at work. While one of the fire trucks was leaving someone cut them off so the truck was blocking a lane of traffic someone tried to go around the fire truck by going into the parking lot, they had to hop a curb to do this. Their car was struck by the firetruck because of course the driver couldn't see this moronic move and the car was pushed into another vehicle. People are really really monumentally stupid especially on a road.

I do not trust anyone or any thing in a road and the safest thing to do if you are unsure is to loving stop so you don't get anyone killed. Who cares if it takes 20 more seconds longer to get to the red light that you are going to wait 5 minutes at because it's poorly setup?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Resting Lich Face posted:

The speed limit is a minimum and gently caress anyone who disagrees.

this is very dependent on where you are and frankly it really shouldn't be this way at all

if you're going 55 on the 55 highways all around chicago you are a huge rear end in a top hat and liability to yourself, if you get even close to the 30 mph it's posted around my current residential neighborhood (with two parks in walking distance, no sidewalks, and nary a stop sign in sight despite several blind intersections) you are also an rear end in a top hat and a liability to yourself. in both cases though it's the limit being set wildly wrong that's an issue.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Dazerbeams posted:

am i supposed to make that judgement call using my psychic abilities or what? use the loving crosswalk

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Please just make passenger vehicles have the legal right of way on all roads everywhere always regardless of circumstances.

this, as long as bikes aren't counted as passenger vehicles (they are childrens' toys, and should not be on the same roads as 1000+ lb vehicles going four times as fast)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It always scares and confuses me whenever I see people crossing the street through busy incoming traffic while they're less than a block from a crosswalk.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
99.9 percent of complaints in these types of threads are rendered moot by a little bit of defensive driving. If you put your life in other people's hands by expecting them to behave perfectly then you are going to die.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

99.9 percent of complaints in these types of threads are rendered moot by a little bit of defensive driving. If you put your life in other people's hands by expecting them to behave perfectly then you are going to die.

Defensive driving is what I call never riding my bike in this sprawling hellscape of a city.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How can people drive and not be able to figure out how fast everyone else is going and what their trajectory is going to be? That's an essential part to being on the road, which sometimes includes things other than cars. It's not that hard, you just have to pay attention.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I know that’s your plan. I stop out of spite and to make you look bad to my fellow drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This is easy. If the pedestrian can look the driver in the eye, the driver has to stop and the pedestrian can start crossing. If the driver can manage to keep looking straight ahead without eye contact, the pedestrian has to wait. Once you have eye contact the pedestrian can just jump in the road and the driver either has to commit cold blooded murder or come to a stop. Them's the rules of city driving