Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I read a bunch of EU books when I was a kid. Here is what I recall:

You can ride Rancors. Jabba's was just a baby.

The second Death Star was being controlled by IG-88 - the imperial assassin droid turned bounty hunter. He was about to lead a droid uprising.

An Ewok gets genetically enhanced to be an X-Wing pilot.

Some kind of talking bird people were enslaved to build the death star and they would do math until their brains exploded.

Corellia is inhabited by humans and giant talking marmots.

Hutts consider it disgraceful to move under their own power.

Bevel Lemelisk (sp) designed the death star and was executed for the design flaw in ANH, but he was cloned. The Emperor keepts killing him and bringing him back. He's like a Weyoun.

The Hutts build their own deathstar but they cut so many corners it's nothing but the laser and it doesn't work.

Oh and it's mentioned over and over: X-Wings are more maneuverable in atmospheres but TIEs were more maneuverable in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There's a book that ends with Leia defeating a Dark jedi Hutt in a lightsaber duel. I remember nothing else.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Everyone remembers The Crystal Star for being tonally as far from Star Wars as possible

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Animal-Mother posted:

Star Wars died on the toilet.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Space Kablooey posted:

also throw in mando S1 because it's genuinely good (s2 sucks balls, except the first episode)

The first three eps of S1 are good. The bounty of the week eps are mediocre. And the last two eps, where it returns to the main plot, are garbo

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRRVVqevv0k&t=14s

I thought these were officially licensed because they loving suck but now I'm not sure.

I originally heard this on the radio in like 2002.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stonehouse Beach posted:

The first three eps of S1 are good. The bounty of the week eps are mediocre. And the last two eps, where it returns to the main plot, are garbo

was it s1 that had baby yoda eating the eggs, because that was a good episode

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's about some disagreements regarding how galactic trade routes are taxed.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Phantom menace had a lot of potential but they coulda had more politics and less racist frogmen. Almost came close to an ok sci-fi.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Phantom menace had a lot of potential but they coulda had more politics and less racist frogmen. Almost came close to an ok sci-fi.

i mean it could have had less of both

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They should make a movie about Kyle Katarn, he's a stone cold badass who makes the other jedi seem like weak little baby-men.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Has there been like a really fat Jedi but they’re still a bad rear end because they do everything with their mind, like just flinging lightsabers around with the force while sitting in a chair.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yes there was a hutt jedi

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Darth Porkins

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Max Rebo died with Jabba's Barge, RIP.

Yeah well lots of people were presumed dead that day. Life finds a way

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
you ever uhhhhhhhhhhhh babu FRIK

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

olives black posted:

Anyone remember that really complex Star Wars 4X game that had 3D starship battles, a thick-rear end manual and a thousand different submenus? I'm pretty sure that it was a pos but I think about it sometimes. Wish I could remember the name of it

Are you thinking of Star Wars Rebellion? It had a gigantic manual detailing all the franchise ships plus a bunch of others from the expanded universe.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Elentor posted:

Are you thinking of Star Wars Rebellion? It had a gigantic manual detailing all the franchise ships plus a bunch of others from the expanded universe.

Yeah, that was it! I wonder if it holds up today. I remember the manual being a treat to read.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

olives black posted:

I remember the manual being a treat

Manuel Bothans?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Is Shadows of the Empire still canon? I know ths rest of the books from that era are not.

I just googled and is not. Kinda hosed up. It started the whole revival.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 20, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

sigher posted:

Max Rebo died with Jabba's Barge, RIP.

true evil never dies

it is only

REBOOOOO

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

he played the jizz box

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

olives black posted:

Yeah, that was it! I wonder if it holds up today. I remember the manual being a treat to read.

Sort of. It was always janky even at its time but it works today more or less the same way it worked back then. It didn't age like Goldeneye having its textures suddenly going from acceptable to fugly, and there were mods at some point (not sure how active the community is today or if they even exist) that improved the battle graphics. It retained a fanbase because, despite it being a very weird game, its spiritual successors did not really offer anything close to it and diverged a lot.

It's also a peak case of the kind of game that if you liked then, odds you'll like it now, because it bombed super hard critically. It sold well because it had the name Star Wars and most SW games of that era were good games for all kinds of consumers but SW:R requires a very specific mindset for someone to enjoy and most people did not.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

someone has to explain rise of skywalker before this thread archives god drat it

pretty wild that you would necro a 3yo (pre-covid!) thread just for this. ros deserves to stay dead

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

kalel posted:

pretty wild that you would necro a 3yo (pre-covid!) thread just for this. ros deserves to stay dead

the dead speak! somehow, Explain Star Wars movies has returned,

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Elentor posted:

Sort of. It was always janky even at its time but it works today more or less the same way it worked back then. It didn't age like Goldeneye having its textures suddenly going from acceptable to fugly, and there were mods at some point (not sure how active the community is today or if they even exist) that improved the battle graphics. It retained a fanbase because, despite it being a very weird game, its spiritual successors did not really offer anything close to it and diverged a lot.

It's also a peak case of the kind of game that if you liked then, odds you'll like it now, because it bombed super hard critically. It sold well because it had the name Star Wars and most SW games of that era were good games for all kinds of consumers but SW:R requires a very specific mindset for someone to enjoy and most people did not.

It deffo strikes me as the sort of game that mainstream critics at the time would have been cranky about because most of them are and continue to be barely sentient unofficial PR shills

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So many dicks

Oven-toasted-owl
Dec 20, 2022

Randarkman posted:

Episode 1 is actually the only one of the prequels I kind of appreciate on a certain level because it's the only one that had lots of effort put into making it, with sets, locations and non-cgi designs. II and III are just so goddamn lazy, I mean Jesus Christ. Episode I is by far the biggest trainwreck of all of them, but that's partly because II and III don't really try as much so they can't fail as badly at everything. Episode I is also a frighteningly boring movie overall (only II exceeds it in boringness in the series), so I can't watch it anymore, because Jesus Christ is it the boring kind of trainwreck. Still I somehow manage to have a bit more respect for it than the following two, out of appreciation for what went into making it and that they were trying to make a real movie, rather than just finishing up the rest of the prequels on a sound stage with a greenscreen because they had to, because they made money (both on the movie itself and on related toys and video games).

Also don't forget Liam Neeson as qui-gon Jinn

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

a politician gets access to infinite cosmic power, and then rapes the concept of life itself. The result tries to kill him, succeeds, but because he cloned himself he's fine. Proceeds to try and corrupt his granddaughter and kinda-sorta grandson and they both try to kill him too.

nothing and nobody outside of this family feud matters.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk if doin the holy ghost is really antithetical to life, now if he made Annie a skeleton that would be evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

SRQ posted:

a politician gets access to infinite cosmic power, and then rapes the concept of life itself. The result tries to kill him, succeeds, but because he cloned himself he's fine. Proceeds to try and corrupt his granddaughter and kinda-sorta grandson and they both try to kill him too.

nothing and nobody outside of this family feud matters.

sounds accurate

these movies are poo poo from a butt