Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok I'll explain them real quick in chronological order.

Ep1: Boy meets girl.
Ep2: Boy falls in love with girl.
Ep3: Boy is breaking her heart.

Solo: People you recognize from other franchises have a party.
Rogue One: Great sacrifices are made to discover the weaknesses of the Death Star and evade it.

Ep 4: Great sacrifices are made to discover the weaknesses of the Death Star and destroy it.
Ep 5: Only entry that isn't meant with furious argument when you say it's good.
Ep 6: Great sacrifices are made to discover the weaknesses of the Death Star and destroy it. Ewoks.

Ep 7: Great sacrifices are made to discover the weaknesses of the Death Star and destroy it. Harrison Ford finally free.
Ep 8: Rian Johnson ruthlessly trolls both Disney and anyone who ever liked Star Wars.
Ep 9: (Coming soon) JJ Abrams "Oh god how do I piece this back together... uh, time travel???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
TLJ was bad and anyone who isn't an idiot realizes it. However, there is a contingent of people who bend over backwards to come up with contrived reasons for why it was totally good and has nothing at all to do with the current slump in the franchise. Generally this is because they are Extremely Online and consider dislike of TLJ to be an attack on women or something ridiculous, and that defending TLJ is virtuous activism, like punching a chud, because movies and politics are the same thing. Often they will go so far as to deny there is any slump at all, as if Disney suddenly cancelling multiple film plans is just something they do, that comes and goes with the tides, and you cannot explain it. Always, the evidence they cite for Star Wars being stronger than ever is "I saw a little girl dressed like Rey".

Inevitably they will cite some number of ticket/disk sales, ignoring any and all relativity, as if total sales for everything have not been going up every year for decades. I can only imagine they are astonished every single year, when whatever Marvel movie was just released takes the perpetually updating title "biggest selling movie ever", in total glee that they get to see world's best movie again, just like last year.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 18, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Machines break down after heavy use, as opposed to humans who grow stronger and more experienced. You don't want a battle-hardened droid army, you want a brand new one.

It just don't make no sense!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Wars can't handle sex. It's already too steamy in here with these snub-nose fighters launching their torpedoes up exhaust ports.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Credit where credit is due. The hyperspace ram was visually stunning, and that not easy to do anymore with CGI being as advanced as it is.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiberius Christ posted:

its about a bunch of losers that gets their entire rebellion killed and despite all the efforts of their parents winning against the space nazis decades ago theyre back and theyve blown up five times as many planets

Moral of the story: if you strike down the nazis, they will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tylersayten posted:

If you like Disney Star Wars i feel bad for you

.... son

I watched 99 movies and these ain't one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know maybe between that and the Holiday Special it's understandable that Lucas decided to kick everyone else out of the decision making process lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

You know I've seen this before. But I think between being distracted by the obvious, and probably looking at smaller, lower quality versions before, I never noticed before that Solo is balancing on a giant alien vertebrae .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kazak posted:

That character was shockingly bad and clumsily written. A smarter writer could write a strong b plot around the way droids are treated but this felt like a caricature of woke activists (but I sense it was v sincere and self congratulating)

L3-37 is just perplexing as hell. I am honestly not certain if her actions and views were supposed to be inspiring or humorous. And that's not a backhanded "lol, can't tell parody from reality with those sjws!!!". I mean that I earnestly cannot determine if the authorial intent was that her fight for droid rights was something that the audience should find endearing and cheer for, or if it was all just wackiness played for laughs. I'm not even sure they knew.

Just a very bizarrely written character all around.