Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Vader stuff in Rogue One is loving stupid which makes it an appropriate end to Star Wars as a storytelling force. Three movies about how a man sinks into evil through the failure of his society and friends to provide the emotional and philosophical support that he instead gets from fascism? Sounds like some bullshit there’s probably bad dialogue and CG frog people in there too, lets just skip to the part where he’s “bad rear end” chopping people to shreds with a sword while they scream in horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The worst thing about Rogue One is Forest Whitaker though. Wtf even was that

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

lol you thought the prequels were canon

“Canon” is a conceptual plague. The dark side of the force of imagination that we as viewers of fiction bring to the table, if you will

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I hope it has Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor. That's the only thing that will make see part of it. Him as the Emperor is a cinematic delight almost regardless of context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BedWowuRdyU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lambert posted:

I like the Star Wars where Ben Sisko's father runs a creole restaurant on earth.

Same dude who plays Sisko’s dad also voiced Darth Vader in the old Star Wars radio play. He’s no James Earl Jones but I kind of like his take on the character.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, which is why The Last Jedi was the best-selling Blu-ray of 2018 in the US and the 31st best-selling Blu-ray ever. Because it's extremely unpopular and no one liked it at all. I'm sure that's it. :rolleyes:

Maybe people didn't see Solo because the troubled production (especially after they canned Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who are close to household names because of the mega popular Lego movie), strongly negative reviews, and poor word of mouth killed the movie. Maybe people were turned off going to the theatre to see a garbage movie that all their friends and family said sucked hard????

TLJ made a huge amount of profit and was a success relative to other movies released around the same time, but its performance was disappointing relative to TFA. They started about as well, but TFA lasted much better and ended up grossing over $2 billion. TLJ didn’t get even close to that. It made about 2/3rds as much, which is still an absurd amount of money but it’s a huge drop. One way to look at it is that the gulf between the box offices of TFA and TLJ is about as big as the entire take of The Empire Strikes Back. Despite being the hot new entry in the biggest franchise on the planet, it didn’t really have legs.

Solo definitely had its own (enormous) problems in both concept (was anyone really crying out for a movie about Han’s misspent youth?) and execution (Disney firing everyone, etc) but its failure to make money was literally unprecedented for Star Wars. The loving Clone Wars movie made money, and that was a terrible, warmed-up tv cartoon pilot that Lucas bumblefucked into a theatrical release at a time when his cachet was about as low as it ever has been and prevailing opinion was still that Lucas had ruined everything and the prequels were poo poo. I think there is probably more to the failure of Solo than just that the movie itself was bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TFA still sucks. It’s carried by marketing, nostalgia drummed up by marketing, and Driver’s completely wild performance. TFA had its script thrown out immediately preproduction and was rewritten almost from scratch as filming began. It’s a series of unrelated action set pieces strung together with quips and twists. Rey has no motive, Poe contributes nothing, Finn’s only motive is to get away from the movie’s plot. Rehashing “Star Wars” wasn’t actually the worst idea of all time. Phantom Menace did it and nobody noticed because they were too busy boggling at all the weird poo poo in Phantom Menace. KOTOR did it and everyone loves KOTOR. The script is just a dog, compounded by TLJ which is a totally different breed of dog.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

they should remake star wars but as a raunchy comedy

Spaceballs: A Star Wars Story

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

You're right, but the hook is that she edited 4, 5 and 6(the "Good Ones™"), she had nothing to do with 1, 2, 3(The "Bad Ones™"). While yes, it is the editors job to tell the director/writers when what they did isn't good no matter how much they like it, this is a special case where we can see exactly the difference between a good editor and a bad editor(or lack of one at all).

Marcia Lucas didn’t edit Empire Strikes Back and she wasn’t the only editor to work on Star Wars or Return of the Jedi either. She’s a very talented editor who was justly awarded for her role in making Star Wars, but there’s more to making a good Star Wars movie than having Marcia Lucas edit it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zoran posted:

the incontrovertible truth is that episode 3 is peak Star Wars. It is the most Star Wars of all the Star Wars

Correct. Even Star Wars was not more Star Wars

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Wars can't handle sex. It's already too steamy in here with these snub-nose fighters launching their torpedoes up exhaust ports.

I used to bullseye womp rats back home

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kase Im Licht posted:

Did the original trilogy ever talk about Jedi not being allowed to sex each other up or is that just a dumb thing that got added later for some minor plot convenience?

Jedi have always been allowed to bone down, just not catch feelings

SHISHKABOB posted:

The original trilogy doesnt really go into what the jedi stood for, its just yoda and obi wan desperately trying to get luke to kill darth vader.

This is true too. Lucas chose to tell a story in the prequels that makes the behavior of the Jedi in the original movies seem really suspicious and hypocritical. Yoda trains Luke to kill Sheev and Vader while also telling Luke that war is bad and he should be passive and nonviolent, which turns out to be good advice in Luke’s case, but around the time Luke was born Yoda himself was a mad oval office army commander flipping around killing people with a sword.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's almost as if George Lucas has no idea what made Star Wars good: A simple hero defeats the evil dudes story with lots of cheesy sci-fi window dressing like fun, super weird aliens, sarcastic dialogue, cool laser swords and blaster battles, and spacecrafts that look rad and make awesome noises and shoot each other.

Every Disney SW movie has all that and its all dogshit, check your premises

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Most of what people think of when they think of the Star Wars “universe” is the stuff created in the 90s in the big media blitz that led up to the prequels coming out. If you go back and check out the 70s and 80s stuff it’s really loving weird by comparison. Not terrible necessarily, but weird.

I don’t think I’d say that the early drafts of Star Wars and the Journal of the Whills and poo poo constitute inventing the universe first. This is not a situation like Tolkien deciding to bolt his sequel to The Hobbit together by saying it all takes place in the future of his pre-existing mythology of Beleriand. Lucas was trying to write a script for a movie from the start, not create and flesh out a setting as its own thing. But he DID go back and mine stuff from that early material for the other movies. It’s especially noticeable with proper names like Anakin or Valorum or Utapau popping up again in different contexts, but there’s also stuff like how part of the concept of the really early spinoff novel Splinter of the Mind’s Eye (Luke crashes on a weird hostile swamp planet where he encounters a Jedi master and fights Darth Vader) clearly got recycled into Dagobah in the second movie.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

I love the fact that the was a book where Luke and Leia straight up get it on, no wordplay that would allow denial. Apparently a good series too 😂

Wait really? I would have thought Star Wars was always too sex averse for this

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

"Splinter of the Mind's Eye" written as a sequel to ANH before ESB came out. It is literally why Lucas changed the rules so he had final editorial control over all things Star Wars, because it was so insane even beyond Luke and Leia loving

Yah I’ve read Splinter, it’s one of the old really weird spinoff things I was thinking of, together with the old Lando adventures where he’s this space libertarian huckster who fights an evil cop Big Bird alien. I don’t recall them loving though they are flirting and breathing heavily at each other throughout

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

I haven't read it in 20 years so I'll admit my memory might be corrupted by time and the internet

I do know the space weasel thing was real tho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rogue One is just a big old mess. You can tell it had half its guts edited out. Nobody in it has a personality and there are no good lines in the movie. In look and feel and especially tone, I think it does succeed. There’s not much in there that makes you take your head out of the movie and say “really?” like the dumb joke at the start of TLJ. The problem is, it’s because there’s not much in there at all. It certainly does depict a star war, but it’s charmless and unengaging. It wants to be tragic, but it’s not quite strong enough in its characters to achieve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I don't think you can call it worse than Phantom Menace.
It's the worst of the original trilogy, but it's totally not worse than THAT catastrophe.

ROTJ’s problems are part of the structure of the movie, TPM’s problems are mostly in execution. Also nothing in TPM is as bad as Jedi Rocks