Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Never understood why laser swords are better than laser guns and deflect them when they’re presumably the same kind of laser. If they aren’t, why didn’t they make the guns outta the same crystals? I think one good thing the prequels got as a story telling beat was making it clear Jedi were assholes, that always felt not clear enough in the OT

They aren't better, that's why nobody uses them except the extinct warrior monks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Also just watch the original three and stop

If you really are a glutton for punishment watch the prequels i guess. Don't if you value your time though

Do NOT watch the Disney ones they suuuck

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

FogHelmut posted:

Rogue One is the best of the modern films because it has full power invincible Darth Vader wrecking poo poo.

Don't bother watching it, just watch the last scene on youtube

This applies to all the disney star wars

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

:goonsay:

Yeah, nope. I'm not the biggest fan of the new sequel trilogy either, but also I don't think it's "the worst thing ever" like goons have such a hard-on for when it comes to anything popular in existence. Goons forget their personal cynical feelings on any given mega popular media franchise have little to nothing to do with the mass market and Star Wars is just as popular as an iconic cultural staple as ever. There's literal 10 year old girls walking around with Rey and Leia t-shirts goddamn everywhere these days. But nah, I guess goons are right and Star Wars is dead.

If anything, Solo releasing just 5 months after The Last Jedi, getting critically panned, and underperforming horribly in the box office hurt Star Wars so much more than any of the new mainline Disney movies, which were both massive box office superstars.

People didn't go watch Solo because Last Jedi was so bad

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, which is why The Last Jedi was the best-selling Blu-ray of 2018 in the US and the 31st best-selling Blu-ray ever. Because it's extremely unpopular and no one liked it at all. I'm sure that's it. :rolleyes:

Nobody buys blurays but morons who buy stuff for completeness amd people trying to peove a point

Might as well talk about laserdisk sales

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

skasion posted:

TFA still sucks. It’s carried by marketing, nostalgia drummed up by marketing, and Driver’s completely wild performance. TFA had its script thrown out immediately preproduction and was rewritten almost from scratch as filming began. It’s a series of unrelated action set pieces strung together with quips and twists. Rey has no motive, Poe contributes nothing, Finn’s only motive is to get away from the movie’s plot. Rehashing “Star Wars” wasn’t actually the worst idea of all time. Phantom Menace did it and nobody noticed because they were too busy boggling at all the weird poo poo in Phantom Menace. KOTOR did it and everyone loves KOTOR. The script is just a dog, compounded by TLJ which is a totally different breed of dog.

This. TFA was such poo poo I decided to never watch a star wae again

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Icochet posted:

The droid army in 1 was described as "battle hardened". They were veterans. What kind of
war could those pieces of poo poo survive?

I assume they were slaughtering local militias and civilians

The cases where two well trained and equipped militaries actually fight each other are extremely rare. And even thrn usually they got trained by putting down rebellions or subjugating peasants

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Propitious Jerk posted:

Star Wars is, at its core, a parable about how much its creators, George Lucas and Disney, hate sex.

Not having sex grants you great spiritual and magickal powers. This isn't Disney's doing this is just real-lifec

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
REEEEEEE-in'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

super sweet best pal posted:

Like I've said before, if 4-6 were a WW2 allegory, the sequels should've been a Cold War spy series with both sides having Death Stars to represent mutually assured destruction.

Hairy Busey posted:

And the Jedi are the commies while the New Republic is America