Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I've been using a lot of Worcestershire sauce lately, it's an excellent source of umami, the fifth flavor I keep hearing about.

Also Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute, that stuff goes great on everything.

When I'm sauteeing onions which happens a lot because onions are used in everything I splash some Worcestershire sauce halfway through and it starts smelling great when I take it off the heat.

What are some other sauces I'm missing out on? Any good recipes that involve worcestershire sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fish sauce is amazingly versatile, the fishy flavour cooks off very quickly and you are left with meaty umaminess

try drizzing it on your roasted veggies, or, and this is a huge fuckin pro tip, in your tomato sauce

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you are reading this and you cook meat and don't make pan sauces every time, you are doing it wrong. keep some fresh herbs and broth and some cheap white and red on hand at all times.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oyster sauce

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
gotta throw out a recommendation for Yellowbird Blue Agave Sriracha - it doesn't really taste like sriracha but it's freakin delicious

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Cockler posted:

oyster sauce

its good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Pro tip: salt

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
El Yucateco Kutbil-ik

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Aardvark Sauce
Fry Sauce
Sweet Baby Rays
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Mayo
Lemons
Dill

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

invest in some delicious pedro ximenez sherry vinegar and add it to savory sauces and dressings. then get laid. or, cry in the shower. i dont really care as long as you use px sherry vinegar

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Tartar sauce with capers

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
the spices

shichimi
gochugaru
za'atar

the sauces

sweet baby rays

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ketchup. :munch:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Grate ginger the long way, along its side. It works so much better that way.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Walrus posted:

fish sauce is amazingly versatile, the fishy flavour cooks off very quickly and you are left with meaty umaminess

try drizzing it on your roasted veggies, or, and this is a huge fuckin pro tip, in your tomato sauce

I do that recipe where you boil diced tomato cans woth a cut up onion and some butter for 40 minutes. What point should I add the fish sauce?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
garlic salt on everything

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Walrus posted:

if you are reading this and you cook meat and don't make pan sauces every time, you are doing it wrong. keep some fresh herbs and broth and some cheap white and red on hand at all times.

I have a tendency to drink open bottles of wine :ohdear:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

gleebster posted:

Grate ginger the long way, along its side. It works so much better that way.

You can just give it a little smack with the flat of a knife and then chop it the long way. Less dishes to wash that way

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i put MSG in basically anything savory

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've recently discovered smoked paprika and probably using it too much but it's good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Lawry’s seasoned salt is killer, a little bit of that works in so much stuff.

As far as sauce goes I have about 20 bottles of hot sauce in my fridge. There’s a couple superhots (The Last Dab has a lot of flavor to go with the heat, so that’s my favorite there), but there’s a lot of milder sauces that do cool stuff with ingredients like fruit, mustard, or horseradish.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Wasabi

spread it liberally on your raw fish sandwiches

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Walrus posted:

Oyster sauce is another super condensed sauce that cooks off and totally changes flavors. It and fish sauce are both fantastic.

Edit: gently caress beaten multiple times!!!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The_Continental posted:

invest in some delicious pedro ximenez sherry vinegar and add it to savory sauces and dressings. then get laid. or, cry in the shower. i dont really care as long as you use px sherry vinegar

I've had scotch partially aged in PX casks. If it's anything like that, then I've definitely been missing out on something.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Fish sauce and oyster sauce are great, perfect to keep around the office, cooks off perfectly in the microwave

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I do that recipe where you boil diced tomato cans woth a cut up onion and some butter for 40 minutes. What point should I add the fish sauce?

at the beginning, butter is weird in tomato sauce though use olive oil if you absolutely need an emulsifier (you don't really but it's good)

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

R.L. Stine posted:

the spices

shichimi
gochugaru
za'atar

the sauces

sweet baby rays

Za'atar spice rules. Would also add dukkah to the spice list

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heavy cream. Goto easy recipe is roasted chicken with some lemon, garlic, onion, salt, water, and some aromatics. When the chicken is done I take the leftover juices and blend it, then re add it to the dutch oven with some heavy cream and reduce to thicken, sometimes with some flour. poo poo is delicious poured over the chicken and/or rice if I bothered to prepare it.

Also use heavy cream with tomato sauce/marinara and toss it with penne for a nice rose, usually accompanied with salmon or shrimp.

Kurt Loadeater fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 18, 2019

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

DC's own mumbo sauce

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbo_sauce

It's like a mix of sweet & sour sauce with BBQ.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The Management posted:

Pro tip: salt

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Bring cup of milk to a boil. Reduce heat, stir in about 2 tbs of flour.

Take about 8 oz of shredded cheddar (sharp and xtra sharp cheddar also good)

Add a tablespoon of hotsauce of your choice. Add a bunch of finely chopped chives. Stir regularly until cheese is melted. Add milk if too thick, cheese if too thin

Take the sauce, pour over whatever youd regularly use cheese wiz for. Or eat it from a bowl, or funnel into a poweraid bottle or thermos if you are on the go

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I like that korean fermented bean paste.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tumeric from Bangladesh is ~80% lead

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
This is a pretty saucy thread

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Yes try to the only buy sauces made in the USA if possible, especially for things like chinese or indian food

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

i am harry posted:

Tumeric from Bangladesh is ~80% lead

What about the turmeric?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
mayonnaise and Cholula is a safe bet for almost any meat-based sammich

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kecap manis, pomegranate molasses, tamarind paste. My mouth just did that thing when you imagine the flavour of super sour candy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

stubbs spicy bbq sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Chili pickles