Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Oh that's really a shame. The all-caps email was hilarious and perfectly in-character for Laura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Oh that's really a shame. The all-caps email was hilarious and perfectly in-character for Laura.

I also appreciate how Fie's stuff is not capitalized for the most part.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really, I wouldn't call the localization garbage, its just that it clearly needed another editing pass to unify everything and snip out repetitive stuff. The underlying translation of the main stuff is mostly fine.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
It's like, a 7/10 that unfortunately happens to be following a 10/10.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree, it really isn't that bad, and Laura's second e-mail wouldn't be noticeable if the first weren't brilliant, but I think we're forgetting something.

Why can't OUR phones summon fireballs and dimensional vortexes?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I agree, it really isn't that bad, and Laura's second e-mail wouldn't be noticeable if the first weren't brilliant, but I think we're forgetting something.

Why can't OUR phones summon fireballs and dimensional vortexes?

Mine can, but holy hell, the bill afterward ain't worth it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

Really, I wouldn't call the localization garbage, its just that it clearly needed another editing pass to unify everything and snip out repetitive stuff. The underlying translation of the main stuff is mostly fine.

It's not garbage, but a lot of the problems people expected with NISA still popped up here.

Mofos need to rework their process, as editing clearly ain't their strong suit.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I noticed the occasional typo and some repetition (Sharon saying embrace a lot really sticks out for me) but there was nothing so bad that it stopped me enjoying the game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's frustrating, because there are some examples of out-standing flair in some of the text. I find most of it in incidental dialogue, and not so much in voiced or major scenes. Laura's emails, like everyone said, is inspired and perfect.

It's not just the typos, it's the allowing the characters to say the same things over and over again, or to say things that an English speaker wouldn't say. Like, instead of a "please look forward to it" every time, throw in an "I can't wait for you to see it". I know the Japanese verb is "to play", but Shirley doesn't have to want to "play" with everyone later - Ash doesn't have to "go wild" all the time. It's not criminally bad, but it doesn't feel like a lot of love went into it, where the others did.

Totally agree though that some of the VA makes up for it. There are some great actors in this.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

I agree, it's a huge step forward for NISA in general but it's just so dry. There's so much dialog cruft that I find myself speeding through scenes because I already know what ever character's one-line chime-in is going to be. It's a game that really doesn't respect your time. I am really kind of sad we wont see an XSEED style improvement of the dialog one day like we did for the PC versions. I had gotten so spoiled by them that I had forgotten how weird silent-Rean was. Those extra lines of dialog they recorded really did a lot for the overall feel of CS1+2.

I'm in what I assume is the final dungeon now and while the story is actually pretty cool at this point, man does the game take its sweet time to get there. It really feels like it's aping (minor spoilers) the story beats of TitS1 in how it's unfolding too. I kind of see Lughman as the Wiessman analog but I'm worried that CS3 wont touch on that too much either.

I will always have a soft spot for this series but NISA's efforts have made it clear that a lot of the love for these games was born out of the love put into the localization by XSEED.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Captain Lavender posted:

It's not just the typos, it's the allowing the characters to say the same things over and over again, or to say things that an English speaker wouldn't say.

That's basically most localization, Hatsuu was the 1%.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Whew, late to the party but finally beat it. The game really dumps a lot on you in a VERY short amount of time. It's a real "gently caress you" cliffhanger too, kind of like if FF6 ended on the floating continent. I hope Rean gets some therapy soon. The deaths seemed pretty legit but it's also Trails so no one every really stays dead.

Overall I found it a lot more uneven a game than CS1&2. Not bad by any stretch but it's just too bloated and doesn't say much until the climax. I really do want to play CS4 even though I know in my heart of hearts it's probably going to be even more on that front. Too many teases not to pay off later.

Edit: Also I really do have to say I didn't think the soundtrack in CS3 was that great. The first form of the final boss didn't even have its own unique music. Compare to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPU0HD9hvmg and it's just night and day. CS3 didn't really seem to have any orchestral-y sounding tracks that I can recall other than the quiet operatic theme that played whenever they were talking about mysterious poo poo.

Also for my nightmare playthrough: I missed a (or some) treasure chest(s). Are there any easily missable ones in places you wouldn't expect? I thought I followed that PSN Profiles guide pretty well but the trophy didn't pop for me. I also forgot to scan like one robot from chapter 1 or 2 but I know which one it is so I'll get it when I get there. Otherwise it's a pretty easy Platinum.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 21, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As I play this game, it's getting ridiculous how 100% of the cast has a nickname. It was already a bit much, but the showdown on top of that tower in chapter 2 was awful. Hello, I'm Shinjobi the Kneejerk.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'd love to live in a world where everyone got some badass nickname as a matter of course.

Just call me The Man Of Many Js :smug:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well Well Well, if it isn't Machias Regnitz, the Justice Uke.

"Excuse you, I'm the Justice Seme!"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This game starts out much harder than the first two, but then somehow, breaks itself open even harder than they did once you're able to get going.

I can't tell if my favorite thing is "Cast something like 6 high level arts in a row with no pauses for other characters" thanks to master quartz + elemental cool down + instacast brave order

or

109% evade, counters from long range, does +600% damage on an evade-and-counter, draws enemy fire 80% of the time, all counter-attacks are critical hits, and gently caress it, let's start the fight with Insight too, why not?!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

As I play this game, it's getting ridiculous how 100% of the cast has a nickname. It was already a bit much, but the showdown on top of that tower in chapter 2 was awful. Hello, I'm Shinjobi the Kneejerk.

typically it's to help you figure out who the really tough guys are, except it's the 3rd game now so there's like 20 of them at this point

just finished it, the localization is fine even if not up to earlier quality. I'm willing to let more slide because it seems like they were trying, at least. also holy poo poo i literally have no idea how they're going to resolve the cliffhanger

there's a lot of assholes in this game but my favorite rear end in a top hat Move is probably rufus just casually walking away while rean is taking the emotional fallout for crossbell's occupation, what an amazing dickhead

e: also rean had better adopt altina in cs4

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 25, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

This game starts out much harder than the first two, but then somehow, breaks itself open even harder than they did once you're able to get going.

I can't tell if my favorite thing is "Cast something like 6 high level arts in a row with no pauses for other characters" thanks to master quartz + elemental cool down + instacast brave order

or

109% evade, counters from long range, does +600% damage on an evade-and-counter, draws enemy fire 80% of the time, all counter-attacks are critical hits, and gently caress it, let's start the fight with Insight too, why not?!

I dunno, "break the enemy incredibly fast, then proceed to take infinite turns" is pretty great too against anything relevant in the lategame.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you don't even need to do that much, gungir is hilariously busted with how much you can up crit rate in this game

why yes i'd love rean to start off every fight with a 30kx2 arcane gale

e: though endgame enemies actually take these kind of shenanigans in mind and have tons of hp

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
For those who don't want to play New Game+ for the bonding events. The two characters you should max out with the tickets in the 4th chapter are Jusis and Muse as there final events have some plot relevance.

Spoilers:

Jusis explains that his brother knew of the airship with the 100 Calvard spies but did not intercept it. Probably to use them as a reason to invoke martial law.

Muse does drop the mask in her final bonding event.

Rean asks her what her plans are considering what's happening to Erebonia, implying that he has an idea who she is and the position she holds. She replies that she has a backup plan in place should the whole thing go south, even though they defeated the dragon. She then thanks Rean for treating her like a normal person/student. He replies that she can have her secrets as he has his own.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You should also max Altina because it’s adorable.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RevolverDivider posted:

You should also max Altina because it’s adorable.

But filling out that adoption paperwork one letter at a time is tedious as hell

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

But filling out that adoption paperwork one letter at a time is tedious as hell

if rean doesn't officially adopt altina in cs4 i riot

man rufus easily has the highest "oh you motherfucker" count in rpg history at this point

interesting how jusis holding his own against him is the first time he looks genuinely pissed off

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 27, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some scattered thoughts having finished it like 30 minutes ago.

Kurt enters some sort of boring singularity that would make the likes Gaius* and Zin blush that is almost sort of impressive in its own right, it's like they drew him up to get it across. Ash has nothing going for him that is not grating until maaaaybe the very end and even then it's very much a "wait and see what they do with him in the next game" so both of these blokes broadly speaking get a thumbs down. I waxed and waned on Musse but in the end I guess she's basically just repeating the beat for beat same role that Emma did in CS1, but just with more smugness rather than awkward deflection, which I guess is an overall improvement? All in all I'm pretty ambivalent.

Juna and Altina though more than carry just about everything else and them alone probably makes the entire game just about. They're real good kids and they make the Rean-as-a-teacher subplot land perfectly. Just about everyone else in the game, such as the old Class VII, fulfills their role very satisfactorily; if I were being negative about it I'd say it wasn't really surprising but all in all it's about what I wanted out of those returning characters both major and minor. I hope Becky fucks Hugo up!!

Ranking the CSs in relation to one another is so loving weird and hard to do. The formula and structure of these games is almost painfully obvious from the word Go, and on one hand that sort of familiarity when paired with the story Falcom is telling is still quite compelling, and on the other hand whenever you step back from them you really start to see the seams from everything getting stretched. I guess if I were to put it one way, the individual chapters are often great, and I love all of the downtime story bits and the characters just like interacting with one another, and I ALSO like the big story beats and reveals, but the second I look at it from a storyboarding standpoint it feels I keep thinking "wait they only got through THAT much in that entire game?" It feels a little silly when they are as long as they are. Like for all the grief Sky FC gets I feel that it is a much tighter experience and gets across a fairly complete story that only evolves into the behemoth that is SC by necessity at an appropriate time. If nothing else this third game feels like a strong entry but it makes me look back on the first two and REALLY wish they had found a way to squish those first two games together. I'll probably feel less miffed about it once CS4 is out and I can just look at the whole picture.

Finally, I can't loving believe they actually had the balls to pull the same "the weird professor you keep bumping into throughout the game is secretly evil".

*I like how people were like "No THIS time it's Gaius' time to shine" and it's the most predictable and on-brand boring development for him and not even because he's really special, he just happened to be there when his priest-teacher died and got the buck passed to him. Oh, Worzel.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kurt would be less boring if he picked a second plot point. It's fine to have a doubter, but all of his bonding moments were the same thing repeated - he doubts, Rean gives him a pep talk, he's fine until the next bonding event rolls round. He really needed something like a sit down with Mueller to cap him off, or a more fleshed-out sequence at his dojo.

Yinlock posted:

if rean doesn't officially adopt altina in cs4 i riot

'family and found family' is the fundamental all-encompassing Trails plot point so this is basically guaranteed

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

This game is rotten with amazing voice acting. But I'm continually impressed with Altina's voice actor. She's nailing the 'emotionally stunted' yearning to understand herself and fit in. Nearly monotone, but a lot of nuance. Plus when I get on my bike, and she says, "Time to ride!" I love it.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I struggle to remember any plot significance Kurt had after about chapter 2. He's such a non-character in this game that I hope he gets a chance to shine in cs4.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Initiate cooking mode" is the best cooking line and it's not even close (and there are some real good ones, too!).

Also re: bikes I love Altina's "Go! Go! Go! :geno:"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Captain Lavender posted:

This game is rotten with amazing voice acting. But I'm continually impressed with Altina's voice actor. She's nailing the 'emotionally stunted' yearning to understand herself and fit in. Nearly monotone, but a lot of nuance. Plus when I get on my bike, and she says, "Time to ride!" I love it.

"Yahoo."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Ranking the CSs in relation to one another is so loving weird and hard to do. The formula and structure of these games is almost painfully obvious from the word Go, and on one hand that sort of familiarity when paired with the story Falcom is telling is still quite compelling, and on the other hand whenever you step back from them you really start to see the seams from everything getting stretched. I guess if I were to put it one way, the individual chapters are often great, and I love all of the downtime story bits and the characters just like interacting with one another, and I ALSO like the big story beats and reveals, but the second I look at it from a storyboarding standpoint it feels I keep thinking "wait they only got through THAT much in that entire game?"

then don't look at it from a storyboarding standpoint because that's weird

I agree it's probably worse because it's a cliffhanger though

Nate RFB posted:

"Initiate cooking mode" is the best cooking line and it's not even close (and there are some real good ones, too!).

Also re: bikes I love Altina's "Go! Go! Go! :geno:"

I miss Millium's "death tolls in the thousands!"

e: my main voice complaint is that jusis doesn't make that weird "nyeh" noise when he casts arts anymore

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 28, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
News: I, too, have now beaten this game.

Views: :stonk:

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Time to wait for CS4?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah really

you could see how TITS1 and CS1 could continue, but CS3 is like

how on earth do they resolve any of this

hell how on earth can they even get into a position to solve any of this

also crow what the hell you'd think he'd be super on board for some osborne murder

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Watching the opening movie and Trailer/PV for CS4 (because there was never going to be a way I was just going to sit on them for a year+) it seems the answer is something along the lines of fully embracing (even more than before) the mecha and going with what feels like a Code Geass revenge story, combined with a "And everyone is here!" with all of the heroes from the previous games. "The End of Saga" and "The Legend of Heroes" indeed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not surprising considering how Code Geass is like the biggest influence on CS after Giant Robo.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

not reading even that spoiler because i love driving myself insane for the wait, but rebellion comes up a bunch in the game(most notably, sieg's moveset and a lot of the best weapons/armor) so I can figure out where the story in general is going, I'm more talking about how the hell they're going to get out of the immediate situation

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The last 5 boss fights in the game I don't think I saw a single enemy attack animation outside of one: that would be McBurn's opening attack that nearly was a full party wipe. 3x Break damage into infinite turns finish with quadruple S-crafts on Nightmare. I can count the number of difficult fights in the game were from Juna not being in the party, either through story or because I forgot to.

I don't know if I can wait for Cold Steel IV if it's going to take a year+ to get it. I waited to play CS1+2 until I had both copies in my possession, same with the Sky games. NISA delays are inevitable and I think they probably want to force CS3 on PC platform first. Cliffhangers are the worst when you have to sit on it for years but I guess that comes with the series.

I didn't play with any sort of guide and barely hit instructor S rank. Was there a lot of hidden AP in the game I missed? My chapter 4 evaluation was B despite hitting every single green exclamation point and visible AP bonus from fights I could get.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Beat the game tonight and I guess my pre-4 plan now is to watch an LP of Sky FC since I continuously stall out on it's molasses-like build, and then play SC and Third.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Oh Snapple! posted:

Beat the game tonight and I guess my pre-4 plan now is to watch an LP of Sky FC since I continuously stall out on it's molasses-like build, and then play SC and Third.

That’s how I played Sky and I liked it a lot. I bounced off FC three separate times due to the pacing but SC and Third kept me interested the whole way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord Ephraim posted:

I didn't play with any sort of guide and barely hit instructor S rank. Was there a lot of hidden AP in the game I missed? My chapter 4 evaluation was B despite hitting every single green exclamation point and visible AP bonus from fights I could get.

not sure what you missed, chapter 4's APs are pretty easy to get. did you screw up on the midterms? or fail to catch up the the calvard agents? get every choice on the girls school mission right the first time?

those are the only easy to miss points in ch4 i can think of

the final chapter is the only one that really pulls dick moves with ap, hello 2 hidden bosses

Oh Snapple! posted:

don't forget to memorize the battle theme so you can be extremely disappointed in SC's

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 1, 2019