Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

GOON FRIEND CODES
robot roll call SW-2142-7039-8040
bushisms.txt SW-3499-6684-7486
LeafyOrb SW-3184-4832-9901
Junpei Hyde SW-7930-5907-2202
njsykora SW-3268-7789-9768
Blackbelt Bobman SW-2662-4564-1515
Soysaucebeast SW-2507-2988-9383
dihaploidy SW-7017-0648-4603

Price: $79.99/99.99CAD/£69.99 Digital only available in Japan

Adventure Mode
Explore a fantastical adventure world to defeat a bodybuilding dragon and his minions using real-life exercises! Traverse grass-swept plains by jogging in place, attack enemies with overhead shoulder presses, and refill your health meter by striking some yoga poses.

The new Ring-Con™ and Leg Strap accessories respond to your real-world movements, allowing the game to turn them into in-game actions. With additional minigames and customizable workout routines, Ring Fit Adventure is a great escape for players of all skill levels and schedules.

Silent Mode
Multiple reasons don't allow for jogging in place, so you can change that.

Challenges and Minigames
Take a quick sweat break with bite-sized minigames and challenges, or pass the Ring-Con to a friend and compare scores!

Custom mode

Create customized workout routines that mix exercises and minigames. Worried about waking the neighbors? Try Silent Mode for a quieter workout.

Multitask mode
Grab your Ring-Con and go for an off-screen adventure! Press and pull the Ring-Con to gain reps that you can sync with your game later.

Reviews

Goon Online Leaderboards

robot roll call posted:

People were wondering if there was something like the gyms in Wii Fit... it looks like there are friend leaderboards that let you compare workouts. You can also gift people any presses you do in the multitask mode if you want. My code is SW-2142-7039-8040 if anyone wants someone to compare with!

Goon Testimonials, more added as they appear

bushisms.txt posted:

First thing I checked was the leg strap, had to make sure it could fit around my voluptuous thighs. Can safely say it's goon approved.

Gentleman Baller posted:

So I've played around with Ring Fit Adventure for two 20 minute sessions now (one adventure mode, and one custom training) and I have to say so far it's passed all my expectations, so here is a quick, early review.

20 minutes in adventure mode isn't really enough to get a good gauge of all the RPG mechanics, but the art is good, and the collectibles (only coins and XP so far) thrown around the level makes it a relatively fun, or at least low-level engaging, way to keep the heart rate up with cardio between workouts (the encounters). For me, cutting weight and keeping cardio up has always been the hardest part of being fit and I'm pretty impressed by this so far.

The exercises themselves are great. Not only do they have the guided body weight resistance exercises all these games have, but I'm genuinely surprised at what the ring itself adds. As an example, back when I went to the gym, fly presses were my favourite exercise. There's really nothing quite like the burn you get isolating the pectorals, and to my shock the ring gives you a really simple way to do it.

As for accessibility, I have rheumatoid arthritis, a disease that basically made me give up the gym. I thought being able to choose from the big variety on exercises was good enough as an accessibility option for me, but game does another thing, in addition. If you go into the settings you can find an option that lets you use buttons instead of motion to do the exercises that stress your choice of areas. I'm not really sure how I feel about this to be honest. I feel like it kind of enables people like me to do some of the exercises until the pain is too much, at which point they can finish the rest of the set with buttons at no penalty. That would be incredibly bad idea. Maybe most people don't have that voice in the back of their head telling them to push themselves, rise above their disability, but according to my doctor, many do. Still, it works for me. Some days some of my joints shouldn't be used, but other days they can, and not having to go into the options menu each time is kind of nice. Regardless, if you have a disability this game could accommodate you but please consult your doctor. Trust me, they will be very impressed with you.

I've seen a lot of people on the internet echo Nintendo's official stance; this game isn't an exercise solution but can be part of an exercise plan. I think this is wrong. You can get real fit with only yoga and cardio, and you can get real fit with only bodyweight resistance training and cardio, so you can, almost by definition, get real fit with this game. If you want to lose weight and get a good, base level of strength all over, I feel confident in saying this is a fantastic solution. The only problem with that plan, really, is that the ring and strap can't measure your form on their own and it is so, so important for getting the most from the exercise, and to avoid injury/long term damage. Either get a friend, or record yourself to check your form for each exercise just to make sure.

Junkie Disease posted:

Full disclosure, If you don't regularly exercise at all and this game asks you how much you exercise, don't be a tough guy, don't a fool, call me.
I'll tell ya to tell the truth, pull up your adult pants and dig deep, this job/game will kill you and the people that surrounding you in life and who rooted for you will know your a fraud.
Tell the game/world the truth you're a clown, fat, stupid and unqualified,
but with a little help Ring Fit Adventure can mold you into a better person
or we'll throw you out

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Got this today and went through the first world. I think it will fit right in with my current home exercise routine, which was basically this except without fighting a swole dragon

Edit: Oh cool I didn't even know about that multitask mode, that will fit in with where I currently get most of my daily exercise, which is doing a set every time I lose at Magic the Gathering Arena as self-flagellation

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 19, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

First thing I checked was the leg strap, had to make sure it could fit around my voluptuous thighs. Can safely say it's goon approved.

I have a desk bike I want to use instead of jogging in place, hope that's possible.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

bushisms.txt posted:

I have a desk bike I want to use instead of jogging in place, hope that's possible.

I want to give this a try too. I do appreciate the silent mode since I live on the second floor and my downstairs neighbor would probably not enjoy all the jogging in place.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Really excited to try this. It seems a lot easier to jump in and out of sessions than with Wii Fit where I had to make room for the board each time.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I need a gif of Tipp reacting with shock/double taking to the text next to him.

Also squats are hard holy moley

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Squats are probably the most important exercises you could do so keep at them!

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I think between this and Beat Saber I might lose like two whole pounds

The first world kicked my rear end

Worth it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't suppose there's a way to put the game in its entirety onto my Switch so it can be there in perpetuity, as opposed to the game card occupying the slot forever?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Argue posted:

I don't suppose there's a way to put the game in its entirety onto my Switch so it can be there in perpetuity, as opposed to the game card occupying the slot forever?

Not without :filez:

It's similar with Labo, so I guess this is Nintendo's way to prevent players from buying the game without the necessary hardware.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Weird, why does Japan have a digital-only option

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It is weird: the Ring-con is more that just a piece of plastic.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, after you beat the "second" boss you unlock enemies elemental weaknesses, so that they die faster to exercises of their own colour.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I played Wii Fit regularly for about a month and enjoyed it but eventually, my lack of personal motivation and willpower won over my minimal desire for health and fitness.

I need hardcore gamification, numbers rising on more than just a piggy bank, and this seems to be exactly that.

For those that have played it, does it include exercises like push-ups/planks? Not sure how those would work with the leg strap or ring-con but I do want to do those but I won't if the game doesn't make me. :(

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Has anyone said "buff the magic dragon" yet?

My legs are on fire after last night. This is exactly the type of stick and carrot I need to stop being so lazy. I'm generally unmotivated to work out because apparently my natural body state is "not fit, not fat" but I don't trust things to stay that way as I age. Also, if I'm on my own w/r/t what the workout is, I'll never actually push myself hard enough. I imagine I'm not the only one in this boat and I'm really glad it exists. I wish it would allow you to connect a wii fit balance board for weight tracking.

Can't wait to see the speedruns.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm too much of a lazy jerk to play this, but the concept of training all the muscles in your body by fighting in a video game is a pretty brilliant one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm too much of a lazy jerk to play this, but the concept of training all the muscles in your body by fighting in a video game is a pretty brilliant one.
Wii Godfather let you punch you way through Godfather with motion controls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanna get this game since I think it would be a really good way to ease myself into more regular exercise.

Only problem is it looks like it involves a ton of jogging in place right now and I just can't do that anymore. I got diagnosed with some irritating "flat feet" issue by a PT this year and I'm apparently hammering my legs joints every time I do strenuous leg movements. I used to be able to manage it but the pain has gotten so bad this year, hence why I went to a doc in the first place. Until I get expensive custom inserts molded for my feet, I can't be applying tons of pressure to em.

Eventually I'll get that resolved, but I've already seen the effect cutting back on my more active movement has add over the last few months and it troubles me. Bottom line; are there exercises in this game you can do to work out the upper body and not put a ton of stress on the legs in the process?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I need to put the silent mode in the OP, I see.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

I wanna get this game since I think it would be a really good way to ease myself into more regular exercise.

Only problem is it looks like it involves a ton of jogging in place right now and I just can't do that anymore. I got diagnosed with some irritating "flat feet" issue by a PT this year and I'm apparently hammering my legs joints every time I do strenuous leg movements. I used to be able to manage it but the pain has gotten so bad this year, hence why I went to a doc in the first place. Until I get expensive custom inserts molded for my feet, I can't be applying tons of pressure to em.

Eventually I'll get that resolved, but I've already seen the effect cutting back on my more active movement has add over the last few months and it troubles me. Bottom line; are there exercises in this game you can do to work out the upper body and not put a ton of stress on the legs in the process?

I can't speak on the rest of the exercises, but there is a silent mode for the jogging that involves jiggling in place doing tiny squats instead of jogging in place.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Unlucky7 posted:

I can't speak on the rest of the exercises, but there is a silent mode for the jogging that involves jiggling in place doing tiny squats instead of jogging in place.

Unfortunately squats are one of the things that stresses my joints :(

I used to them a lot since they were something I could do at home but they got to the point where the pain was too much. Sometimes I can do them without issue but other days I'll do like 6 and then suddenly my joints scream like someone stuck a knife in them. Its awful.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Depending on when you get the things they need, there are a couple other modes and a bunch of mini games you can do that can target whatever you want. Just think of adventure mode as the campaign.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am wondering, am I supposed to only choose cooldown only if I am done for the day, or if I just want to take a break (Which, shamefully, is after every major course)?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Unlucky7 posted:

I am wondering, am I supposed to only choose cooldown only if I am done for the day, or if I just want to take a break (Which, shamefully, is after every major course)?

I think cool down is for when you're wrapping up since it returns you to the main menu and gives you your daily total stats.

Day one and this game is super fun and way more engaging than Wii fit ever was. Exp makes everything better.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I am never removing chair pose from the move list. It's such a chill move compared to the rest.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

I am never removing chair pose from the move list. It's such a chill move compared to the rest.

WHAT?? Chair pose kicked my rear end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a list of the exercise skills you can get in the adventure mode? I'm hoping that there's more core/lower body resistance stuff pretty soon, the tracking for the one leg lift you start with is not the best and also since it is using the leg strap it can be easy to go uneven with it. The ab guard is good but you aren't doing it too often

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
The best thing about leveling up is the game calls your stat increases 'gains' and it makes me smile every single time.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gentleman Baller posted:

The best thing about leveling up is the game calls your stat increases 'gains' and it makes me smile every single time.

The best is the phantom chest that goes from flabby to Abby when you use yellow moves.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I got this yesterday, I'm really excited to get more into to. Day one was rough, but I'm excited to do more.

Both of my Achilles tendons are tight, so chair pose and squats are really hard for me. I'm hoping to get into less ankle flexibility based exercises pretty soon, cause those are real tough for me physically.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If you die in the game you die in real life

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

You're not supposed to actually sit in a chair.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I tried doing the jogging on my exercise bike instead of silent mode, definitely more of a workout if it's an option. Might not have calibrated it right but it seems like you really gotta go for it to make the game think you're jogging fast enough. I'll mess around with it more my next session.

People were wondering if there was something like the gyms in Wii Fit... it looks like there are friend leaderboards that let you compare workouts. You can also gift people any presses you do in the multitask mode if you want. My code is SW-2142-7039-8040 if anyone wants someone to compare with!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

My copy arrived today and I completed the first world, and I'm surprised by how much fun I had.
Sure I was covered in sweat and my legs were burning, not exercising for years will do that, but I'm actually looking forward to doing it again tomorrow.

I'll have to pace myself for the first week or so, since I really don't want to have to call into work and say "I can't come in today, Mister Nintendo kicked my rear end", but I'm eager to track my progress.

Doing this has also got me thinking about other things I can do, cutting back on soda and certain foods for a start.
Honestly, it's crazy how much easier it is too exercise when you have something that both tracks what you're doing, gives you goals to aim for and is constantly rewarding you and pushing you to do just one more awkward squat.

Also, GAINS!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No one has posted this? Shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-HX2UmLu5g

Game is good for my large, but also a cook for years so I have stamina and some fitness, self. I chose the, second hardest difficulty because of that. Got through first world in an hour, so difficulty is set at 21 now. Seems a good starting place to me.

Also swole fitness dragon is kinda hot ngl.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Grabbed this as well tonight since goon reviews seem really positive. I'm in decent shape strength wise, but my cardio and flexibility are rear end. Did all the setup stuff tonight and just doing the warm up stretches felt great on my stiff back. Art direction seems fun and I can't wait to start going at this for real tomorrow.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm apparently way more of a sad, out of shape weakling than I thought. I hike 20-25 miles every week, I'm usually at the gym once or twice a week, but the first world had me drenched in sweat and seriously sore. Jogging in place is... hard.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I probably need some advice on recovery after a session, I had to skip a day - shocking, I know - so my legs could recover and not be two sore stumps. Might protein drinks work?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Add me to the list of feeling it hardest in my legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I'm somehow #5 in the world ranking for people of my age in Chair Pose. WTF, it's literally the easiest thing.