Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tagichatn posted:

Ugh, gently caress Dragaux's fire breath attack. It went on forever and was way too difficult to hit each projectile. At least it can't kill you.

It can’t? Lame, but also I remember that causing my arms to hurt really badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Oh god. I have done no exercise for months and months, and basically spent all of lockdown getting sadfat on whiskey.

I recently started flinging weights around again, and five days ago got back into Ring Fit. Five days in a row, around 20-25 minutes at a time. It *kills* me. Each time I'm left dripping with sweat and whispering "gently caress you" at the screen.

Game good goons. Game good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I’ve been yelling gently caress you at the tv a lot to protest planks, then the game saw fit to introduce me to mountain climbers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’ve been yelling gently caress you at the tv a lot to protest planks, then the game saw fit to introduce me to mountain climbers.

Mountain Climbers are the one exercise I refuse to do. I very nearly twisted my ankle the first time I did them, had to stop the game and was hobbling around for the rest of the day.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hated mountain climbers earlier but they’re my jam now. I’ve always liked Planks although what you do in this game isn’t really a plank it’s like a plank into dolphin dog into plank weird thing

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I hated mountain climbers earlier but they’re my jam now. I’ve always liked Planks although what you do in this game isn’t really a plank it’s like a plank into dolphin dog into plank weird thing

I just do them as plank -> downward dog -> plank and ignore the video about how to do it. Mountain climbers are a good exercise though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

M. Night Skymall posted:

I just do them as plank -> downward dog -> plank and ignore the video about how to do it. Mountain climbers are a good exercise though.

Dolphin is just downward dog but on your forearms. Unless you lay your forearms flat with your palms facing down, then it’s puppy pose.

Anyway forearm plank to dolphin is a fine flow and works your core very well so I enjoy it.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Yeah I just got to the mountain climbers today. gently caress that seven ways from Sunday.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wish I could use the healing skills for damage. I'm probably going to finish NG+ this week and I haven't had a reason to use a healing skill (or a healing item, for that matter) since the first third of my first playthrough, so I only ever do those exercises when they come up in fitness gyms.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ahahahaha my ring con has decided to not work. Tried it with two different joy cons, tried cleaning the contacts, hard resetting the switch, updating console and controllers (everything up to date). Anything else I can try?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Day 1: 3 minutes

Day 2: 5 minutes

Sweating buckets

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The first time the game had me do mountain climbers (one of those fitness gym minigames) I was befuddled and sore, but now they're one of my favorite exercises. Especially since the motion sensor in my left joycon still plays nice with it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm on world 22 and mountain climbers has never worked for me. Just did a gym that contained it and probably was the worst I've ever done it

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

yeah I can't quite figure out the angles the joycon needs to be at for mountain climbers.
Does it need to go from like, parallel to the floor with the joystick pointing down to then being as close to 180 degrees around with the joystick pointing up or something? I can't get it to work consistently.
I do like planks and mountain climbers otherwise since they seem to help with upper body strength.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

It was posted earlier in the thread but does anyone have the guide on how to do Ab guards right?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

ketchup vs catsup posted:

It was posted earlier in the thread but does anyone have the guide on how to do Ab guards right?

squeeze it hard against your clenched abs. don't focus on the arms. is it not registering for you? i stand about 7ft from the switch and haven't had issues.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Flex your abs like you’re shirtless at the beach (as hard as possible) while bending your knees just a little bit but pull the ring as hard as you can because that’s what the game measures.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

I wasn't sure either and have been following this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebPFVWUVGU4
I'm not sure if this is correct either as doing it in this stance is more involved and harder.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ok cool that’s how I was doing it. Can it be done in a particular way to avoid all damage?

Cause I usually take 3/4 of a heart each time even. When doing it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There's a tip that shows up in the game where they talk about reverse breathing, i.e., pushing your stomach out while breathing out, that might help isolate the muscle. Pushing out with your stomach while using your arms to press the ring in only as much as to trigger the golden animation should probably do the trick

Ok cool that’s how I was doing it. Can it be done in a particular way to avoid all damage?

Oh for this yeah, you'll have to get skills that trigger an RNG chance for no damage or use items to boost your defense, even with gold animation you will usually take damage

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

you take damage regardless typically

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Once you get the skill tree you can unlock Lucky ab guard which gives you a chance of taking no damage when you block an attack with ab guard.

You always take a little bit of damage, make sure the shield is huge and shining so you take the least amount of damage. Early on can be tough but eventually you’ll be strong enough that you barely take damage.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ahhhh ok so I think I am doing it right. Thanks, goons.

Day 3, 8 minutes, did 1.2 again and then beat dragaux. I hate squats but recognize they’re the single most important exercise so that’s gonna stay in the rotation as long as possible.

Still sweating buckets by the time I’m done.

In even better news I got my 70-something year old father to start. He’s on day 2 and hems and haws about doing it but afterwards is very enthusiastic to go again.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I hate squats but recognize they’re the single most important exercise so that’s gonna stay in the rotation as long as possible.

Oh, don't worry. The game won't let you not do squats, at least in Adventure Mode.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I have no real problems with planks and mountain climbers but even after 100 days, the various squat exercises are still a real test of endurance. I was already doing squats in exercises before starting Ring Fit but what they ask you to do in terms of duration and also how low to go to trigger the gold animation definitely pushes me more than anything else in the game's repertoire

Except for the the aforementioned "run up a backwards conveyor while pushing a huge box" :argh:

Edit: also the other extremely difficult exercise for me is Tree Pose since I have terrible balance apparently

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 10, 2020

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
Im curious what difficulty you guys have your games set to. Im close to the end of the game and have difficulty going over level 22. I want to push myself to play at max level, I'm not sure how high it goes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

30 is the highest difficulty level. I’m at 25 and it’s pretty brutal. I upped it from lv 20 which is what I had for most of my first playthrough. I found that difficulty manageable but you won’t grow stronger unless you push yourself so :kingsley:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Max is 30. I started the game at 15 I think, swiftly decided that was too low then stayed at 19/20 for a while, then gradually raised as I played. 30 was brutal when i started but now I couldn't imagine ever turning it down

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
can you log this in myfitnesspal

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Idk what that is but I log it in my Apple Watch as an exercise by choosing “Other.”

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The game shows you a breakdown of every exercise you did at the end that I’m guessing you could plug into MFP

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I started at 22 and moved up to 30 within a few weeks. In case you were wondering, at max difficulty:
Strength-building exercises where you don't switch sides (like squats and overhead press) are 22 slow reps (which are about 4 seconds for each rep) and 15 fast ones.
Ones where you do switch sides (like bow pull and overhead lunge twist) are I think 16 slow reps and 8 fast reps on each side.
Rhythm exercises (like knee lift and side step) are 60 reps.
Planks are 15 and 15, for some reason, and yoga exercises are pretty inconsistent I think.

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
I recently got a copy of Ring Fit from a friend who's trying to get back into shape and wants someone to compete with on scores. I'm built a bit like a t-rex though and the leg strap was just slightly too tight so she's extending it for me, and I should be able to start playing this weekend. Did any of you good people start off at a fitness level of "land manatee"? I'm excited to get moving again but not sure if I can even do something like planking yet.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Whoever posted:

I recently got a copy of Ring Fit from a friend who's trying to get back into shape and wants someone to compete with on scores. I'm built a bit like a t-rex though and the leg strap was just slightly too tight so she's extending it for me, and I should be able to start playing this weekend. Did any of you good people start off at a fitness level of "land manatee"? I'm excited to get moving again but not sure if I can even do something like planking yet.

One thing to note is that there is no penalty for taking a break during exercises, so if you find you can't complete any exercise quite yet but don't want to lower difficulty just press + and take a breather before completing the set.
I'm not in great shape myself, I used to go to the gym pretty actively and do ok on squats and deadlifts there but everything else I suck at. I can't do 4 pushups but planks are more manageable for me, even if a pain.

Also pro tip, when doing the hard exercises like planks and mountain climbers, set the ring-con on the floor close to your face so you can press the + for a break without breaking the pose and accidentally registering a bad move, this way you can then stand up or collapse or whatever. That is if you are as neurotic about "bad" moves as I am.

I also started at difficulty 15 which the game recommended me back when I got it a few weeks after launch and am now at 24 I think. Some moves are pretty easy if I only do like one set of them while others kill me in one set.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you aren’t in great shape start with the difficulty level low, like maybe 10 or lower. Higher difficulty means more reps and please don’t literally die playing the cute exercise game.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you aren’t in great shape start with the difficulty level low, like maybe 10 or lower. Higher difficulty means more reps and please don’t literally die playing the cute exercise game.

The issue I have with this is that some moves I can do real easy at higher difficulties while others I can't. Kinda wish you could set difficulty on a per move basis.
And I finally noticed what I was doing wrong with mountain climbers, as I suspected I just wasn't focusing on the positions my left leg moves between. Need to have it as straight as possible when it's out and the knee as high as possible when in. Finally managed a perfect set of them.

I do wonder if they tried to implement a push-up move but the leg-strap joycon wasn't precise enough (as the only way I can figure out how to track that myself would be the angle of the leg unless you set the ring-con on your back and used that :D )

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sorry I meant that to be for Whoever, I should have quoted their post. You’re fine.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

My father has never liked video games and never understood my interest in them.

He’s 73, and he’s shaking his fist and shouting “Dragaux!” after beating world 1. Talking about buying his own switch for after sheltering ends.

Game’s good.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Really wish that jumping could be bound to a button. It's not even an exercise, I'm just constantly goofing up platforming because the ring just decides it's no longer pointing downward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jumping is 100% the toughest part of the game