Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I do 4-5 days a week for 30-45 minutes each on difficulty level 25. I think I’m on day 120? Anyway yeah once you get into a good routine you’ll start to feel better. Try to make a workout schedule and stick to it for maximum results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Long term people: what are your results like in terms of weight loss or muscle growth?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You’re not going to build much muscle (the game even explicitly says as much) but you will definitely tone your muscles and gain definition. Weight loss is gonna be tough unless you are also dieting. You aren’t going to burn tons of calories doing Ring Fit (I’m burning like 250-300 in a half hour which isn’t bad) so on its own it will help you maintain your weight at best.

My butt is really toned now from all the squats. But you aren’t going to get bulging legs unless you do squats with weight. I have a friend who does power lifting and she could probably kill a man between her thighs like in Goldeneye.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It aids weight loss but diet is the main thing.

You won't really gain much muscle unless you're coming from a very low baseline - the weights just aren't heavy enough - although you will maintain more muscle while losing weight than you would if you were simply dieting without exercise

You could also have a slight recompositioning of your mass - eg fat loss with slight muscle gains, this what people are sometimes talking about with "toning"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I noticed after a couple months that I was cutting a better silhouette top to bottom, but it took careful dieting on top of that to lose significant weight.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I love this game

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I finally got a copy of this yesterday after months of backorders.

As a true fat goon whose fitness experience to date is mostly "fittin' 'is burger in my mouf", is there anything I should know that the game isn't telling me? I've done all of two 30 minute sessions (cleared world 1 and 3/4ths of world 2), and have just been stopping to cool down when the game tells me to and am gonna try to go daily.

silent mode feels harder than jogging in place, but jogging in place makes everything in the room shake so I probably shouldn't do that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

CaptainPsyko posted:

As a true fat goon whose fitness experience to date is mostly "fittin' 'is burger in my mouf", is there anything I should know that the game isn't telling me? I've done all of two 30 minute sessions (cleared world 1 and 3/4ths of world 2), and have just been stopping to cool down when the game tells me to and am gonna try to go daily.

silent mode feels harder than jogging in place, but jogging in place makes everything in the room shake so I probably shouldn't do that.

Just listen to your body. Soreness the day after new exercise is common, but the more regularly you do it the less sore you get afterwards.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Get a thick yoga mat. I’m wound pretty tight about not bugging my downstairs neighbors and a thick mat keeps all the running noise down and I am also not a small person. The game tells you to stop automatically after two full levels, so if you aren’t burned out by then, I’d turn the difficulty up. I started at 18 or so and could do three levels without a huge effort, but now that I cranked it to 26, two levels will wreck me (in a good way) and I feel like I’m not wasting time with all the smoothie making and such.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Even if you don't have downstairs neighbours, I'd recommend a thick yoga mat anyways for the sit-down exercises.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

CaptainPsyko posted:

As a true fat goon whose fitness experience to date is mostly "fittin' 'is burger in my mouf", is there anything I should know that the game isn't telling me?

Check some videos on how to start doing bodyweight squats with good form, doing it the right way makes a big difference

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a good yoga mat recommendation? I'm on carpet and don't want to ruin it with all my stomping

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got a good yoga mat recommendation? I'm on carpet and don't want to ruin it with all my stomping

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Essent...97181347&sr=8-7

I got this one and I'm quite happy with it!
I do need to weigh it down on either end to keep it from sliding around, though.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Reading this thread has been a joy; there's something uniquely sweet about reading about people playing this game when you know that the challenge is a) more concretely physical than usually in games, and b) genuinely healthy. Been thinking of getting this for a while, this'd be really helpful for general wellbeing.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I upped the difficulty from 13->30 yesterday, mostly to adjust the ratio of exercise time : jogging time in each level. Coupled with finishing sets after defeating a monster it made each level much longer.

I am pleasantly sore today.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Thought the game was a goofy gimmick like labo and Wii fit but picked it up after seeing goons in the Nintendo thread talk about it. Played world 1-1 and 1-2 on Thursday, finished the world on Friday plus a couple mini-games. My thighs haven't been this sore in years.

How long does it take to earn new attacks? I've gained one, but I'm really wishing I could have a bit more variety already. My legs do too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Getting new attacks is based on leveling up. Once you progress enough you will get access to a skill tree as well

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Once you get planking as an attack is when the real pain starts

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Once you get planking as an attack is when the real pain starts

I had to do my first Mountain Climbers yesterday and I about died.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Soysaucebeast posted:

I had to do my first Mountain Climbers yesterday and I about died.

The worst part about doing them in the gyms is for some reason they greatly increase the number of reps compared to using an attack.

Anyway, I got the courage to ride my bike again (with a surgical mask, can’t breathe in a cloth one) so I’ve been switching off between that and Ring Fit, man it’s a huge difference. Squats were actually easier after riding because my hips weren’t as tight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

theflyingexecutive posted:

Get a thick yoga mat. I’m wound pretty tight about not bugging my downstairs neighbors and a thick mat keeps all the running noise down and I am also not a small person. The game tells you to stop automatically after two full levels, so if you aren’t burned out by then, I’d turn the difficulty up. I started at 18 or so and could do three levels without a huge effort, but now that I cranked it to 26, two levels will wreck me (in a good way) and I feel like I’m not wasting time with all the smoothie making and such.

Good lord, I'm at difficulty 12 and was prepared to fall over and die after doing the three stages of world 2. Not even actually fighting strangely-hot-swole-dragon again! Clock said 12 minutes but I'm pretty sure it was more like 45

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Remember that the clock measures active time, not total time - resting between reps and menus (and minigame tutorials, actually) don't affect the clock.

And it'll get easier. I started out getting about 10 active minutes at difficulty 20 and feeling like death afterward last november, and now I'm routinely doing 30+ minutes at difficulty 30 and still feeling pretty good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I used to hate planks and mountain climbers but love both.

Strengthening your core goes a long way.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have a very weak core too, for sure. Mostly I think it's the sodding jogging and knee-raises - I always hated both, I only put up with it here out of guided necessity (and having a mat for my poor ankles)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I have a very weak core too, for sure. Mostly I think it's the sodding jogging and knee-raises - I always hated both, I only put up with it here out of guided necessity (and having a mat for my poor ankles)

Raising the difficulty only affects exercises in battles, so if you raise it, you will spend more time in battle and less jogging

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I beat the game two days ago after nearly a year of playing? That last level on Diff 30 took literally 40 minutes of active time and I was only moderately sore!

Since starting this last year (and cutting WAAAAAAY down on my beer and eating out), I'm a lot healthier. I don't have a scale to actually look at numbers, but I've visibly dropped a ton of weight, and I'm much more toned than I've ever been.

This has honestly been one of the best investments I've ever made.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Raising the difficulty only affects exercises in battles, so if you raise it, you will spend more time in battle and less jogging

Good to know, I sort of assumed higher difficulty meant higher movement requirements for DBZ-hair speed

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

My ring has arrived. Today I become the stud I was always mean to be.

E: First trip report: ring kicked my rear end.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 17, 2020

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Is there a trick to balancing for yoga poses if you have really thin ankles? Tree pose in particular feels like I don't have enough bone or muscle to stabilize my body from tipping over.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

yellowyams posted:

Is there a trick to balancing for yoga poses if you have really thin ankles? Tree pose in particular feels like I don't have enough bone or muscle to stabilize my body from tipping over.

I ended up watching yoga videos to learn how to do those ones better lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdln9qWYloU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I can attest to the fact that I couldn't do tree pose when I started and could rock it by world 10. It might just take time and practice. Learning poses in depth outside of ring fit is absolutely a good idea too, though; that doubled my stamina for squats over night.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm not sure I'm doing knee raises right, the game gives me full credit but I feel it more in my quads than the abdomen. Makes me think I'm messing up form, somehow?

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ended up watching yoga videos to learn how to do those ones better lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdln9qWYloU

Thank you, the advice for exerting force between both thigh and heel is especially helpful since I was pushing way harder with the heel, though it's probably going to take a fair amount of practice before I get it right. They sure make it look easier than it is.

Riatsala posted:

I can attest to the fact that I couldn't do tree pose when I started and could rock it by world 10. It might just take time and practice. Learning poses in depth outside of ring fit is absolutely a good idea too, though; that doubled my stamina for squats over night.

I'm already up to the Dragaux fight in world 10 and I still suck rear end. :negative: Getting into the starting pose isn't difficult at all, it's when the game asks me to lean over that I keep losing balance. I have no idea where or how I'm supposed to shift my weight to remain steady while holding that pose and it wants me to lean in the direction that's not being supported by a leg so I inevitably fall over. For whatever reason, I also seem to get worse at it the longer I do it which is a little discouraging for practice but I'll keep at it.

Revolved crescent lunge is another one where I have no idea what I'm doing so wrong but my elbows never align where they should and my knees and thighs feel like they're doing all the work so I guess I better look up some videos of that too.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
For tree pose stick your opposite hip out to balance the lean. Keeps your center of gravity over your feet

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Make sure you are focusing your gaze on a fixed point on the wall to help retain your balance.

Also put your foot on the opposite leg’s calf if you can’t pull it all the way up to your thigh. Just don’t push it on your knee, you could end up knocking your leg out from underneath you in a very hilarious bit painful way.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just hit level 201 today, woo. I'm holding off on progress in the Extra levels while I go back and clear the other worlds, that aren't "Get more money!" or "get these gems you'll never use again!" Speaking of. Do they have any use after you buy that tier of gear? Will I need, like, rubies and amethyst in the future or can I sell them?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oddly enough, they become required again on your third playthrough to buy the III-tier equipment.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ring day 2:
Ring -2
Kart Barf-0

I’ve been completely laid out again but it’s worth it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Was off this for two weeks, one because I was away from home and then the week immediately after, but definitely need to return to it. I usually do about 35-40 minutes on max difficulty but had to stop between 20 and 25 on my first session back. My body is displeased that I stopped, clearly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Oddly enough, they become required again on your third playthrough to buy the III-tier equipment.

So that's why I haven't been selling them. Good to know!