Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Boat Pose does a lot of damage for a move that hits five enemies. The only one that does more is Mountain Climbers, which are also very hard.

For boat pose it’s ok if your lower back touches you just don’t want to be lying down with your full back/legs on the ground when you’re stretched out all the way. Coming back up from there is very hard but once you can do it without bouncing you feel very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think my perception is skewed because I'm super overleveled so I have stuff like warrior 2 level 2 already which is 5x210 and super easy. I still try to do boat when finishing off enemies and such because it's hard as gently caress so that must mean it's good for me.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I love Boat Pose since I can feel how good it is for me

I hate Mountain Climbers for the same reason

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I like any pose where I can sit.

The only move I refuse to do is the overhead bend, which hurts and doesn't feel like a legitimate exercise to me. The game still registers if you do a complete forward fold instead.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Front Press sometimes gives me pause as the edge of my left elbow sometimes gets a twinge of pain, in the region of the funny bone. Dunno if my form is hosed or if I just have a lovely left arm

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I never understood the difficulties with Mountain Climbers. My wife had the same problems. I like Mountain Climbers as I feel they're one of the easier exercises. I could do 100 reps of them without breaking a sweat. Some of the other stuff though...

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I think a lot of people just do mountain climbers the way they learned in elementary school gym class, which is stick your butt way up in the air, bounce wildly and flail your legs, which is exhausting, and ring encourages it by yelling “move super energetically!” at you while you’re doing them. So they hate them. If you try to keep your butt stationary and shove your knee into your chest, ideally without putting your foot down until you fully extend it again, it’s a pretty good core workout and not particularly taxing and hits all five monsters.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That is definitely how I learned mountain climbers and now I looked it up on YouTube I've been educated

e: 60 mountain climbers is still hard af

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 9, 2020

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

For some people it might also just hit muscles they don't exercise regularly . I will 100% do mountain climbers before resorting to overhead squat, but normal squats and chair pose are pretty easy moves for me.

My arms have always been weak pieces of poo poo though, despite being able to deadlift 130kg+ I never got my bench press above 50. My arms be weak. Kinda makes me wish ring fit had a push-up move but I don't know if they could track that. Maybe have you place the ring con on your back?

Once I realized that what ring fit tracks with mountain climbers it was pretty easy, except that my yoga mat keeps moving all over the place so I gotta stop midway through to put it back where it should be.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I recommend a tri-fold thick exercise mat over a yoga mat. It's so much more comfortable and I haven't had any sliding issues.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

I’ve been using these five pound ankle weights as wrist weights for a few months and I definitely feel it after half an hour. It makes the balance moves like Warrior III hard though.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Oh poo poo, that's a good idea. Once I start getting to level 30 I need to consider doing that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Are there any significant gold sinks in the later parts of the game? I'm at around level 110ish, just entered world 12, and I'm definitely accruing gold faster than I spend it. I don't buy smoothies (I would buy carrot if I could but no go) because it feels like cheating, and only buy gear if it's an upgrade.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Filling out the skill tree will take a lot of gold, skill points might be the bottleneck for most of the game but there were definitely some points I was waiting on gold instead

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I recommend a tri-fold thick exercise mat over a yoga mat. It's so much more comfortable and I haven't had any sliding issues.

I gotta get one of those. It was worse in summer when I was sweating more, but I kinda worry more about what my downstairs neighbors are hearing as I jump all around. Thankfully for them it’s just for a short while in the middle of the day.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I kinda suck at figuring out where to set difficulty. How long should I be able to exercise without feeling exhausted and wanting to keel over?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I aim for 30 minutes on the in game timer and go longer if I feel like it. I've done almost 2 hours at once because I wanted to finish off a world plus all the sub quests I had available and I wouldn't recommend it simply because of the real world time it takes. 30 minutes in game is about an hour so that feels pretty reasonable to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You should be able to do 20 minutes at the very least, and aim for 25-30 minutes

Adjust the difficulty to meet that

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

A lot of it also depends on what the game throws at you ime.
I usually go for 20 minutes, sometimes that stretches to 30 but yesterday was a session of squat heavy maps to a boss that limits your moves to only leg stuff and by the end of that session I had done so many loving squats that despite having "only" done 15 minutes I was just done.
It's kinda annoying how the game will ask you to quit after 2 maps(?) no matter how long they take, and there are a few 2 minute maps where you just run for a short while.
I wouldn't stress about it too much tbh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jeez, i've been wanting to die afterward for the last month of ~12-15 minutes at difficulty 15 :smith:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

jeez, i've been wanting to die afterward for the last month of ~12-15 minutes at difficulty 15 :smith:

Don't worry about it.
This is just one of those things you have to kinda get over, it's the same poo poo I'd get when I was at the gym and I see some dude lifting 3x what I can. Focus on your own achievements and improvements. You're only competing against your past self here.

For what it's worth I've been playing this for almost a year now (forget when it launched) with a few breaks here and there due to illness and injuries etc and didn't really do much cardio before that because cardio sucks. I started out at level 15 and could also only barely do 15 minutes depending on the moves I'd do.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You're not competing against other people (unless that's what gets you going), you're competing against yourself from a week ago or a month ago

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Me, not compare myself to others and find myself wanting? Surely you jest :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was doing difficulty 15 for a while but then I moved it up to 20 for the second half of my first run. After I beat the game I moved it up to 25 and turned on “finish exercises” and hoo boy it’s like a different game. I could handle squats before with fewer reps but now I want to die halfway through a set of wide squats. Which I equip sometimes just to push myself. But I’m moving into a new house rn and doing all kinds of work on it and have a million other things going on so I haven’t been able to play this more than once a week or so.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Me, not compare myself to others and find myself wanting? Surely you jest :v:

I mean one can't really help it, or at least I can't, but one drat sure tries.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Got to level 68 today but couldn’t push myself the extra mile, sadly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Got to level 68 today but couldn’t push myself the extra mile, sadly.

See Ciaphas, this is what should make you feel shame.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pretty sure Ring is having some gay panic about Dragaux flirting with him. Dragaux is inviting Ring to take a shower and talking about soap and throwing it in each other’s faces and I feel like a third wheel

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

There is definitely some sort of sexual tension/jilted ex sort of chemistry in between Ring and Dragaux yeah

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I know calories aren't everything and all but man it's wild to go over the 24 hour mark on my ingame timer and still be under 1kg worth of calories burned.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

AnonSpore posted:

I know calories aren't everything and all but man it's wild to go over the 24 hour mark on my ingame timer and still be under 1kg worth of calories burned.

From what I've learned when looking into how fitbit works, that calculates calories burned based on your heart rate/beats.

Like when you sit around with the same static heart rate, the tracker says your calorie burn is stable.

With us only popping out heart rate in after an exercise, rather than constantly during, I can only imagine its calculating calorie burn as time (time spent on exercise) x (final heart rate) so it would miss any points where our heart rate is much higher.

When I run for an hour, fitbit says I burn about 900 calories and that's because it's picking up my heart rate being high or whatever for 60 minutes. Even then I'd have to run for 8.5 hours to burn off 1kg of calories.

I guess the other thing is just how intense is ringfit? I'm only on region 3 but so far my two exercises have felt the right difficulty but have only got my heart rate up to about 130.

I've been running for years though, so I'm able to run faster and for longer with that exercise.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno if that makes sense because RFA's heartrate monitor thing is optional; I often go entire sessions without using it because I know what it'll say my heartrate will be (120~130 probably). I'm inclined to think it just has a fixed calories:rep for every exercise that scales depending on your supplied weight sex and age.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
It’s such a mixed bag covering strength training stuff, aerobic exercise, and flexibility/balance. I was able to go for longer sessions when I kept doing the same stuff every time, but the campaign throws new things at you. So I let the difficulty go up a bit and am doing more exercises I found difficult to do instead of going for endurance.

I was thinking the other day it would be cool if they made a eShop game in a different style that used the controllers. Like make a rhythm/dance game, or just some kind of yoga focused relaxing thing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There is a rhythm game that they added in a patch

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Whoever put together the lower body gym is a sick and depraved individual

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

JHVH-1 posted:

I was thinking the other day it would be cool if they made a eShop game in a different style that used the controllers. Like make a rhythm/dance game, or just some kind of yoga focused relaxing thing.

I would pay good money for Nintendo themed expansions. Go on a jog through Hyrule, catch Pokémon with an ab crunch, the possibilities are endless!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would be probably ready to pay for a DLC with new exercises, I assume at level 199 I'm about tapped out

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You have about 80 levels to go before you max out the skill tree but it’s mostly just upgrades and not new exercises at that point.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

The issue is, if you have the same brain worms that I do and you only play adventure mode and want max damage, some exercises just don't make sense to slot gameplay wise as they do so little damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Whoever put together the lower body gym is a sick and depraved individual

is that the gym that introduced mountain climbers

because yeah.... yeah.......