Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is a thread for the Ocarina of Time randomizer romhack.

You can find the randomizer here. You specify the options you want in the website and at the end you'll get the opportunity to upload your rom and download a patched rom from the site. There's a lot of options but there's some good defaults in the presets.

Forums poster PMush Perfect is managing weekly seeds for us with a ruleset designed to be completable even by people who aren't super skilled at OoT. You can find the most recent seed on the last page of the thread usually, and the rule definitions linked in the image above

Some resources:
A tutorial on setting up the randomizer
A pretty good tracker to help you remember where you've been and what's in logic for you at the moment
A few tips for reaching items that are in-logic for you but are a bit unintuitive
A full listing of all the logical requirements for every check in the game
A simulator that lets you mess around with the randomizer without actually playing the game. It won't help you know which items you're actually capable of getting though.
A youtube channel with several excellent guides on upping your rando game

This isn't a structured weekly challenge thread like the lttp rando thread but maybe we'll still do some seeds together, or something. I mostly just wanted to talk about oot rando in our brand new retro games subforum

Please use spoiler tags when discussing any seeds we do together

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I made a seed with the default options for us to do together, maybe, though

https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=265284

If that link doesn't work, it's setting string

AJWYTKAHB2BCAAJWAAJBASAGJBHNTHA3EA2UTVEFAA

and seed

EQ1Z3UVO6F

I used the race ruleset cause the beginner/default options look like they kinda suck rear end

A few tips for people who have never done oot rando before:

• The kokiri sword is shuffled but nothing requires it. You can fight everything with deku sticks as a child
  • You can leave the forest or enter the deku tree right away with these settings
  • You can also become an adult right away with these settings
  • With these settings, the songs are shuffled but only into other songs. So talking to zelda will always give you a song, etc
  • You can inspect the dais in the temple of time to find out which dungeons have which rewards. You need all six medallions to enter ganon's castle but you don't need the sacred stones (though a few randomized items are locked behind stones)
  • You can talk to gossip stones to get hints about where items are. If a location is "way of the hero" that means at least one required item is there. If it's "foolish choice", no technically required items are there (but there may be items that save you massive headaches)
  • Certain extremely annoying items like the mask of truth heart piece and 40/50 skulltula items will only have required items if there's a hint telling you they do. So if you've checked all the gossip stones and none of them tell you you need 50 skulltulas, you can safely ignore that item
  • These settings assume you know where all the invisible walls and chests are and don't actually need the lens of truth. Fortunately you start with the map and compass for every dungeon so even if you don't remember, the hidden stuff will be marked on the map for you

You can probably expect the very first seed you do to take quite a while, possibly over 10 hours if you barely remember OoT. Even for experienced racers a sub-3 hour time is very very good. Expect to need multiple days/sittings until you have a lot of practice.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 20, 2019

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'll try and do that seed this week, kinda did one of these at an earlier version and it was fun from what I played.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I should probably try this at some point since I really liked the ALTTP randomizer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Thanks for the links, been meaning to try this out

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I put about an hour into the seed I posted before bedtime and I'm worried that this is gonna be an all dungeons seed, the gossip stones are telling me which song you get from the ocarina of time cutscene

This seed also has early bombchus which means I'm pretty far out of logic since ten bombchus enables ten checks that the randomizer doesn't think you have items for yet

I also appreciate the gossip stone right outside the forest temple telling you not to bother going into the forest temple, though that only applies to the chests, the sacred stone might still be required

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 20, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God, I've lost hours and hours to this so far. I think my favorite ruleset is mostly default but with dungeon tokensanity, affordable scrubsanity, and maximum shopsanity. It gives a bit of extra spice. Honestly, I should move over to Accessibility, since the official Discord loves that one, but it kind of feels wrong now for some reason.

Edit: I also skip child stealth (because gently caress child stealth) and start with max rupees, because it cuts a really boring couple minutes out of the start of getting the $$$ to buy a shield and the first three scrubs.

Edit 2: How does everyone else grind money? Pre-bombs, I use the bridge to Castle Town, and post-bombs, I use the DMT cow grotto.

How does everyone else handle recording their time? I've just been using a stopwatch on my phone (since I don't have the internet speed to stream right now).

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 20, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was all in on more randomness with -sanities until I tried accessible and actually had more fun like that. Scrubsanity tends to emphasize the importance of the already- important bombs and makes you need an extra 300ish rupees (for context I think you need 500 or so total rupees in accessible unless you get a terrible seed that forces you to buy a tunic or blue fire). Shopsanity will easily add another thousand rupees on top of that

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I played this a fair bit early in the year but haven't in a while now. I'm curious what version of the randomizer is out now and what crazy options exist. I was running some standalone randomizer program off my computer based on the 3.x version of the online randomizer, but I think the 4.0 version was available online, just with no program download. It'll be fun to try this again.

My favorite ways to play on the 3.x randomizer were keysanity, open forest, some scrubsanity, and more settings. No tokensanity though, because gold skulltulas were never very fun for me to find as a kid, and I don't feel like trying to remember all 100 of their locations. Keysanity is definitely the most fun for me even though it makes for longer seeds, just because I really like that whole aspect of searching through all of hyrule with a fine-toothed comb, uncovering all hidden areas where things could be, even if that means I have to leave dungeons multiple times to fully finish them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I was all in on more randomness with -sanities until I tried accessible and actually had more fun like that. Scrubsanity tends to emphasize the importance of the already- important bombs and makes you need an extra 300ish rupees (for context I think you need 500 or so total rupees in accessible unless you get a terrible seed that forces you to buy a tunic or blue fire). Shopsanity will easily add another thousand rupees on top of that
I think the only thing I really don't like about Accessible is that with open Door of Time, you can end up forced to explore as an adult while way more underprepared. Just running here and there, grabbing whatever little poo poo you can without so much as a Hookshot.

FPzero posted:

I played this a fair bit early in the year but haven't in a while now. I'm curious what version of the randomizer is out now and what crazy options exist. I was running some standalone randomizer program off my computer based on the 3.x version of the online randomizer, but I think the 4.0 version was available online, just with no program download. It'll be fun to try this again.

My favorite ways to play on the 3.x randomizer were keysanity, open forest, some scrubsanity, and more settings. No tokensanity though, because gold skulltulas were never very fun for me to find as a kid, and I don't feel like trying to remember all 100 of their locations. Keysanity is definitely the most fun for me even though it makes for longer seeds, just because I really like that whole aspect of searching through all of hyrule with a fine-toothed comb, uncovering all hidden areas where things could be, even if that means I have to leave dungeons multiple times to fully finish them.
It's up to 5.1 now, and there's an offline program. It includes options like bosskeysanity, which I like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

I think the only thing I really don't like about Accessible is that with open Door of Time, you can end up forced to explore as an adult while way more underprepared. Just running here and there, grabbing whatever little poo poo you can without so much as a Hookshot.

It's up to 5.1 now, and there's an offline program. It includes options like bosskeysanity, which I like.

I don't hate open door but I'm not sure about it either. I mostly play with it because it means the strategy videos I've watched apply better

I don't know if we'll have thread weekly seeds or whatever but I'll definitely take thread preferences into account for anything I post. Or feel free to post seeds that match your preferences more if you want people to play along with you

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I just finished a randomizer with all entrances shuffled as well. Really cool way to replay this game. It didnt hurt getting the biggorons sword from a shrub at death mountain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mordekai posted:

I just finished a randomizer with all entrances shuffled as well. Really cool way to replay this game. It didnt hurt getting the biggorons sword from a shrub at death mountain.
I tried to play all entrances randomized, and my notes about what lead where with circles and arrows looked like the scribblings of a crazy person's conspiracy theory board.

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't hate open door but I'm not sure about it either. I mostly play with it because it means the strategy videos I've watched apply better

I don't know if we'll have thread weekly seeds or whatever but I'll definitely take thread preferences into account for anything I post. Or feel free to post seeds that match your preferences more if you want people to play along with you
I can do that. Here's what I'm thinking, then, trying to make it easy-ish, but also shake things up so that traditional routing isn't as simple (and, thus, new players won't be quite so totally stomped.) It's not my usual settings, either, but it addresses some issues I have with traditional Accessible.

[PMush's Gooncessible Settings v1.0 and first seed removed to prevent confusion, 1.01 is below.]

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 21, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Which dampe heart are you excluding? The graveyard game requires nothing and the windmill one is boomerang or song of time to do trickless (though the trick to do it without items is very easy). Do you mean the graveyard crate? If you can get that with hookshot only I'm surprised but since you can also get it with beans there can't be very many seeds where getting it with hookshot is required

Everything else sounds fine but I'd also add in starting with deku equipment (shield and mac nuts/sticks)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Which dampe heart are you excluding?
Adult race with a time of under a minute.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd also add in starting with deku equipment (shield and mac nuts/sticks)
Oh, poo poo, that's a good idea. Dang, gotta redo the stuff. Give me a bit, gotta head out and do some errands and then I'll fix it, and make a new post and a new seed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh that one's annoying but it isn't that hard. We can exclude that but I don't think doing it hookshotless is a trick

While I'm suggesting changes, it'd be neat to exclude 40/50 skulltulas

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh that one's annoying but it isn't that hard. We can exclude that but I don't think doing it hookshotless is a trick
It's in the same camp as Horse Archery 1500. It's doable, but annoying and an awkward "you must be this good at OoT to play" barrier. Which is counter to my accessibility goals with these settings.

cheetah7071 posted:

While I'm suggesting changes, it'd be neat to exclude 40/50 skulltulas
Oh, that's good. Uses the same logic as the changes I'm defending in the sentence above, even. Agreed, I'll change that, too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
These setting ironically make it much more attractive to learn the trick to do shingshotless deku tree but I don't think that's a problem, it won't be in logic

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush's Gooncessible Settings v1.01
Settings String: AJSYTKARXCACAAJWAACTCTFBJTRBAAANK2KUCA

Settings designed to create newbie-friendly runs that will ease in players who haven't completely memorized and mastered vanilla OoT, and slightly reduce the advantage of routing mastery.

1.01 is out of date! See 1.02 (and the 'fancy' new banner) here!

TL;DR: Accessible, but:
  • Start with Deku Shield and max Nuts/Sticks. gently caress that initial 'get 40 rupees for a shield and 50 for sticks' grind.
  • Start with max Rupees, and new wallets auto-fill. gently caress all rupee grinding, TBH.
  • Door of Time requires Song of Time. It's not a guaranteed fix, but it should help with not making you do adult stuff with nothing but the Master Sword and some Deku Nuts.
  • Turn off all required tricks. You should be able to use tricks to check places for sequence breaks when you're stuck on the 'canon' path, but making them mandatory just feels weird.
  • Vanilla Lens of Truth requirements. Same reason as for tricks.
  • Free Scarecrow's Song. Running across Hyrule Field to get the song twice is just busywork.
  • Exclude Dampe's sub-minute race time PoH from shuffled locations. It is technically possible to get without the hookshot, and so it's in logic, but it's an unpleasant skill barrier.
  • Exclude Horseback Archery 1500 from shuffled locations. Same logic as the Dampe race, it's an unpleasant skill barrier.
  • Exclude 40 and 50 Skulltula from shuffled locations. More busywork/pointless memorization. 10, 20, and 30 are still shuffled.
  • Skip first Dampe race. Pure convenience, since there's no reason to make the player run it twice if you already have the longshot the first time, especially since it just gets you a PoH.
  • Anju requires 0 Cuccos. It can easily be done with no items (glide from the unfinished house platform with a Cucco), so it's not a puzzle, just busywork.
  • 'Complete' list of settings is here, so you don't have to pull open the randomizer to look at it.

Still open to other thoughts and preferences! I could also make multiple versions, like 'Gooncessible Easy' (weekly), and 'Goonsanity' (monthly). I'm also interested in BizHawk co-op but ugh, is it hard to set up everything.

And as for the first shared seed...

PMush's Gooncessibility Settings, Seed 01
Seeds for playing together asynchronously, both to compare times, and to ask for hints and help if you're stuck.

Seed: PGCV101S01

Participants
cheetah7071 (5h55m)
PMush Perfect (7h34m)
And probably a lurker or two. Hello!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 22, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sure, I'll join it. I'm still in-progress in the seed I posted earlier but I'd rather play a seed at least one other goon is playing. I've never actually kept track of my time before so we'll see how good I actually am

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Seed comments, so far, one dungeon clear. This seed is interesting, almost feels like it's trying to own me for overcomplicating things. It's got a nice start, some bombchus if you wanna try to sequence break, a heart container for safety, and a bomb bag on top of the entrance to Dodongo's. But I basically spent an hour chasing red herrings in grottos and with minigames, where progress was almost entirely just... songs. Once you're under the well, you're off to the races, but it took me like an hour and a half to get there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I put three hours into this seed and if you do everything in logic it's loving cursed

To any newbies who might not know any tricks, I highly recommend looking up how to get man on roof and on top of dodongo's cavern with no items. Both of those are extremely easy to do and will save you massive massive headaches with this horrible, evil seed

I think leaning how to do the hover boots skip in the forest temple is actually mandatory which is kind of insane. That one's also very very easy to do but if your only experience is vanilla you might not even think that it would be possible. There might be some other combination of items that accomplishes it but that dungeon definitely can't be beaten with only the items you need in vanilla.

And to top it all off it's an all dungeon seed

I'm two items from go mode at this point but I gotta sleep

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The more I think about it, the more I think that door closed doesn't actually accomplish much unless you also shuffle songs or ocarinas into the general pool. There's five songs you can access as a child, and three of them are sphere zero--lullaby, epona, and saria can all be gotten right away with no other items obtained. If any of those randomized into zelda's lullaby you can add sun's song to those three. The fifth is song of time which technically could be accessed as a child if the seed is really really mean but that will also be vanishingly rare because it required either all child dungeons to be stones or two of them to be stones and you to start with the third. In the end, outside of the extremely unlucky seeds where song of time is in the vanilla location, all you're really doing is enforcing long child openers instead of allowing openers where you go adult right away, because song of time will always be accessible almost immediately.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think that door closed doesn't actually accomplish much unless you also shuffle songs or ocarinas into the general pool. There's five songs you can access as a child, and three of them are sphere zero--lullaby, epona, and saria can all be gotten right away with no other items obtained. If any of those randomized into zelda's lullaby you can add sun's song to those three. The fifth is song of time which technically could be accessed as a child if the seed is really really mean but that will also be vanishingly rare because it required either all child dungeons to be stones or two of them to be stones and you to start with the third. In the end, outside of the extremely unlucky seeds where song of time is in the vanilla location, all you're really doing is enforcing long child openers instead of allowing openers where you go adult right away, because song of time will always be accessible almost immediately.
Well, this is why we tested it! Once we're done with this seed, I'll make 1.02.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually looked it up and one of the things I thought was a trick is considered in-logic even with all tricks disabled so following the logic of this seed is somewhat less horrible (though still kinda terrible). I'm actually a little surprised that jump is in-logic though it definitely feels like an unintended trick and there's a much more obvious way to get it involving items.

(I'm talking about the (vanilla) heart piece above Dodongo's Cavern)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I think leaning how to do the hover boots skip in the forest temple is actually mandatory which is kind of insane. That one's also very very easy to do but if your only experience is vanilla you might not even think that it would be possible. There might be some other combination of items that accomplishes it but that dungeon definitely can't be beaten with only the items you need in vanilla.
My time is already poo poo, and I'm there, I'm gonna figure out if there's an easier way.

Edit: I figured it out, and it's really in-theme for this cursed seed. If you go to the second floor of the block-push room, you can put on the hover boots, take a running roll off the corner towards the door, and get a key from the floormaster room.

This should probably be in the OP, too. It's helped me out a couple times.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 21, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

My time is already poo poo, and I'm there, I'm gonna figure out if there's an easier way.

This should probably be in the OP, too. It's helped me out a couple times.

It already is actually!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It already is actually!
Whoops!

Took some screenshots of what I mean about the alternate/easier boots skip.

It might take a couple tries, but it's definitely more newbie-friendly than the usual one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's actually what I meant. "Hover boots skip" meant a skip using hover boots, not a way to avoid using them. There might be some way to get up to that same ledge with the longshot too idk, I didn't have it yet when I entered the forest temple

Checking the official logic requirements, the trick you have spoilered there is officially in-logic and can be logically required in some seeds, including this hell seed

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

That's actually what I meant. "Hover boots skip" meant a skip using hover boots, not a way to avoid using them. There might be some way to get up to that same ledge with the longshot too idk, I didn't have it yet when I entered the forest temple

Checking the official logic requirements, the trick you have spoilered there is officially in-logic and can be logically required in some seeds, including this hell seed
Oh, okay. I thought you meant the ground-jump helltrick, hence my "oh, there MUST be another way" reaction. Okay, that's not so bad. Though it's almost as much of a dick move that you then have to twist the passage, grab the boss key chest, then immediately run back out and untwist it again.

This is one more point convincing me that I should make a list of "this isn't technically a trick, but it will make your life easier to know" things, like "you can stun keese from stupidly far away with deku nuts", "don't forget about the key in the well coffin room (far left coffin)", and "backwalking is faster than rolling, but only over long distances in straight lines."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 21, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, okay. I thought you meant the ground-jump helltrick, hence my "oh, there MUST be another way" reaction. Okay, that's not so bad. Though it's almost as much of a dick move that you then have to twist the passage, grab the boss key chest, then immediately run back out and untwist it again.

This is one more point convincing me that I should make a list of "this isn't technically a trick, but it will make your life easier to know" things, like "you can stun keese from stupidly far away with deku nuts", "don't forget about the key in the well coffin room (far left coffin)", and "backwalking is faster than rolling, but only over long distances in straight lines."

I'll keep that hell trick in my back pocket if I ever want to do Forest without a strength upgrade I guess but that one does look pretty hard. I wonder if there's a consistent setup like there is for slingshotless Deku Tree

e: this might not actually skip strength now that I think about it and might just be completely pointless

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd like to blame this on hellseed, but it's actually just me being a stubborn dumbass who is bad at this game.

Not counting the time between major pauses, but counting the short breaks to post... 6:15 so far. :cripes:

Edit: And complete, at... 7:34:32

God, that one was a pain in the rear end. The grief I would have saved myself if I'd used the Bombchus to check the top of Deku Tree. Or if I'd beelined songs. Or if I didn't need to wait until Ice Cavern to get both Slingshot and Boomerang. Had all four bottles pretty early, though, and was cruising with my usual 3 red/1 green, which was nice since Ganon nearly kicked my rear end despite 17 hearts and full magic.

Goodbye, hellseed. I hope nobody else ever has to play you again.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 21, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Final time of 5:55

Lost five minutes or so to screwing up the jump to break the web in the deku tree three times, another ten minutes to dying to phantom ganon twice and probably 30 minutes to not knowing how to do the spirit temple. In this seed, if you use a small key to open the door to the child iron knuckle, you have to do child spirit to get a backup key. There is almost never a reason to open that door because you can just longshot across from the adult side but I'm an idiot who did it anyways. I also almost died to both ganondorf and ganon (though ultimately I didn't). I also hosed up my entire opening route by falling off the chain when farming rupees at hyrule castle right when night was falling and getting locked out. You don't gotta be good to compete in goonraces, anybody reading thinking that this sounds overwhelming.

I actually knew that check would be mandatory within the first five minutes of playing because a gossip stone told me what it would be. That was my first indication this was hellseed

PMush Perfect posted:

The grief I would have saved myself if I'd used the Bombchus to check the top of Deku Tree.

What check are you talking about here? I cleared the entire deku tree less than 15 minutes after starting the seed using the trick to do it slingshotless. (Good video explaining the trick here. I was already doing this on seeds where the first five chests gave me enough money to buy a shield and sticks, and think you should probably always do it when you start with deku equipment if you know the trick.

e: oh I just realized what you probably meant. You can climb that wall without any items--the skulltulas will only attack you if you're moving. Just stop moving when they turn purple. This is actually in-logic I believe.

A few thoughts on how terrible this seed was before I forget:

The hookshots were at man on roof and Gerudo Training Grounds. That means that if you don't know the man of roof trick, you don't get a hookshot until GTG.

The three bomb bags were beneath a bombable spot in the well, on top of dodongo's cavern, and horseback archery. If you don't know the jump to get the DC bomb bag, and use your bombchus in the wrong spots, enjoy getting bombs from archery I guess

Nocturne of Shadow was in ocarina of time. Strength 2 was in the shadow temple. Hammer was in the spirit temple. You can just spendforever thinking you're way behind because fire, spirit, and shadow are all locked behind all sacred stones

Slingshot and Boomerang both in ice cavern like you said. I checked the spoiler and the other two slingshots were both in ganon's castle.

I also checked the spoiler and double defense is deep in the fire temple, past the boss key, and you're almost guaranteed to be in go mode when you enter the fire temple. So no double defense pretty no matter how you route.

good loving riddance, hellseed

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 22, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One thing I learned from one of the tutorial videos I linked in the OP is that songs are really, really valuable. For reference, some folks generated 10000 seeds and checked the spoiler logs to see how often each check was required to complete the seed. Shell 0 checks (that is, checks that don't require items to obtain) are mandatory about 1/5 of the time (this is why most of the time you walk out of kokiri forest with something good, cause there's 5 shell 0 checks you do right off the bat). By contrast, something like half of the songs are really really good, and the other half are all decent time saves even if they aren't mandatory. Songs are almost always your best things to check, especially with these settings where song of time blows the game wide open

The opening I tried to do this game (though I screwed it up) was: 5 kokiri forest checks, deku tree with the slingshotless trick, backwalk to hyrule castle to beat nighttime, buy a shield, farm some rupees, do some minigames, farm rupees till nightfall, do the dog heart piece, then talk to zelda (the weird egg hatches at dawn and if you do the castle right when night falls dawn will break right after you real Talon).

Then if you got song of time you can do adult Kakariko and pick up the windmill song before savewarping back to the temple of time and becoming a child again. If you get song of storms you can go to child Kakariko and do about half of bottom of the well. If you get Zelda's Lullaby you can do child Kakariko and pick up the composer grave song. Any other song (or after you're done with Kakariko), you can go to Lon Lon, get Malon's song, and savewarp back to Kokiri to get Saria's Song. Hopefully by this point you've found something good to help you figure out where to go next

of course, since this was hellseed, the only decent non-song items I had were both out of logic (man on roof hookshot and bottom of the well bombs)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll make 1.02 and cook up the next seed tonight. Don't wanna settle on a ruleset for sure until we've had at least a couple consecutive good seeds.

Only change to 1.02 is opening DoT, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

I'll make 1.02 and cook up the next seed tonight. Don't wanna settle on a ruleset for sure until we've had at least a couple consecutive good seeds.

Only change to 1.02 is opening DoT, right?

please either ban bombchu bowling or teach me how to be good at bombchu bowling

I don't think you noticed because I edited it in after you posted but the top of the deku tree is accessible in-logic without any items. You can climb that wall without any items--the skulltulas will only attack you if you're moving. Just stop moving when they turn purple. Assuming that's what you meant.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm playing a run right now and I know I didn't set the "Fewer Tunic Requirements" option, and yet my spoiler log says I need to go to Fire Temple next but I don't have red tunic. Unless I've completely missed a Red Tunic somewhere that isn't the shop one. I've been avoiding buying that one because I know it's out of logic, just like how I found the Goron Bracelet in an invisible chest without Lens. It just seems weird that I'm forced to go there, though I did have to go to death mountain crater to get my ocarina and zelda's lullaby as a child so maybe that's just what the game can sometimes expect of you.

edit: Looking at the spoiler log again, it appears it wants me to buy the tunic from the goron shop, which is something I thought the randomizer never required you to do. ...Unless it means that the tunic is on the shopsanity side of the shop and I totally forgot that fact. I guess I'd better go check!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 22, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FPzero posted:

I'm playing a run right now and I know I didn't set the "Fewer Tunic Requirements" option, and yet my spoiler log says I need to go to Fire Temple next but I don't have red tunic. Unless I've completely missed a Red Tunic somewhere that isn't the shop one. I've been avoiding buying that one because I know it's out of logic, just like how I found the Goron Bracelet in an invisible chest without Lens. It just seems weird that I'm forced to go there, though I did have to go to death mountain crater to get my ocarina and zelda's lullaby as a child so maybe that's just what the game can sometimes expect of you.

Buying tunics can be in-logic if wallets are in logic. In extremely rare seeds you can even be expected to buy blue fire from the zora shop to unfreeze king zora (I think this can only happen if he's holding ruto's letter though)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Turns out that yeah, I was just expected to buy the tunic from the normal goron shop. I've never had to do that before so now I've learned that's a possibility. Onwards to Fire Temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Buying tunics can be in-logic if wallets are in logic. In extremely rare seeds you can even be expected to buy blue fire from the zora shop to unfreeze king zora (I think this can only happen if he's holding ruto's letter though)
A 0.38% chance, with the vanilla item pool of 262 locations!

cheetah7071 posted:

please either ban bombchu bowling or teach me how to be good at bombchu bowling
I've been lenient on BCB because you can always see what you're playing for, but yeah, it's probably a skill barrier. All the reliable along-the-wall tricks require some pretty precise positioning, and without that, it's very luck-based. I'll pull them, too.