Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OoTR settings designed to create newbie-friendly runs that will ease in players who are inexperienced with randomizers and haven't completely memorized and mastered vanilla OoT.

If you've never played an OoT randomizer before, here's how it works!
You'll start with a shield, full Deku nuts, full Deku sticks, and 99 rupees, but the chest that would normally hold the Kokiri sword can instead hold almost any item in the game. This is also true for every chest, every gift from an NPC, every prize from a minigame, almost every single item! Even songs are shuffled with each other. You'll be exploring Hyrule in a very different order than you're used to. To make things easier and more open, you can enter and leave Kokiri Forest and the Temple of Time whenever you want, from the very start, and some other small changes have been made, including a few quality of life improvements.

Your objective is to collect the six medallions (which are guarded by randomly selected dungeon bosses), open the bridge to Ganon's castle, and stab that son of a bitch good! A few of us like to Go FastTM, and so we time ourselves on how quickly we can beat the same set-up (called a 'seed'.) Don't be intimidated by how much slower your time is than other posters'! The best way to learn is to play. In fact, not wanting to race at all doesn't mean you're playing it wrong. We're trying to Go FastTM because we find it fun, not because you have to. If you just want to have a chill adventure experiencing a beloved old game in a new way, then do that! Want to just cruise around as adult Link, exploring what you can get with nothing to your name but a magic sword, a pocket full of rupees, and some gumption? The world is your oyster. You are just as valid as, if not more so than, us weirdos who spend more time watching Link walk backwards than with our families.

If you feel up for a bit more reading, here are some tips and tricks for you, as well:
  • It's strongly recommended that you play/replay Ocarina of Time at least once. Ideally a full 20 hearts playthrough, but at least enough to refresh your memory on how the game works.
  • There's a list of what glitches are typically allowed/disallowed. Banned glitches are almost impossible to do unintentionally, so if you don't know what something means, you probably don't need to worry about it.
  • If you're racing, use the tracker. It saves much, much more time than it loses, especially when you're playing over multiple sessions.
  • Speaking of time, there is no in-game timer in OoTR, you're on the honor system here. I just use my phone's stopwatch app.
  • Your first stop should always be Mido's house, across from the ramp to the sword cave. There are four chests there, and between them and the Kokiri sword chest, you're almost guaranteed to find something that will either define the start of your run, or at least make it significantly easier.
  • Talk to every Gossip Stone you see, they'll often give you information about item location. If a location is "way of the hero" that means at least one required item is there. If it's "foolish choice", no major items are there (though there may still be optional ones like heart containers and the Biggoron's Sword).
  • You can inspect the dais in the Temple of Time to find out which dungeons have which rewards. You need all six medallions to enter Ganon's Castle but you don't need the Sacred Stones (though a few randomized items are locked behind Stones, including whatever song the Ocarina of Time teaches.)
  • Deku stick jump attacks deal twice as much damage as the Kokiri Sword, and can in fact used to kill enemies and bosses without it.
  • Generally speaking, the fastest way to run is just rolling everywhere. Holding Z and walking straight back is faster, it's the same speed as the bunny hood, in fact, but it's impractical except over long distances in straight lines.
  • Don't kill every enemy unless you have to in order to unlock the door or a chest. There are many more monsters that can be avoided than can't.
  • Keese and Beamos making your life miserable? Deku nuts will stun them from surprisingly far away. Really, be very free with your flashbangs in general, they work in more places than you'd think, and you are going to be finding plenty.
  • Walltulas will only attack you while you're moving. When they change color, stop moving until they change back and you can safely climb past them without shooting them.
  • If you roll off an edge while wearing the hover boots, you'll jump once the roll is over and get more distance and a bit more height than you would otherwise. This can be used for a few skips, safer Shadow Temple runs, and, in one infamous hellseed, was required to beat the Forest Temple. (That last one isn't likely to happen again, though. ...we hope.)
  • PGC logic does not require getting 1500 points in Gerudo horse archery, or playing bombchu bowling, but most default settings do.
  • You also only need one Big Poe to get the Piece of Heart from the salesman in PGC, you can skip the Trials in Ganon's Castle, and you don't need to gather any cuccos to get Anzu's item as a child. The former two are also true in the official Accessible settings, but the last is PGC-specific.
  • PGC removes the need for the Scarecrow's Song. Just pull out your ocarina anywhere that you'd need to play it, and he'll pop up automatically. This is important, as there are a few chests that might only be reachable that way in logic. (It is, in fact, the only way to reach one specific chest in the Fire Temple.)
  • In PGC, you start with Stone of Agony. If you still need help remembering grotto locations, here's a list of all 33 grottos, hidden and otherwise, and what you need to get into them.
  • Here are a few videos for simple tricks that can help make your life significantly easier, but are not required in PGC logic: Deku Tree B1 Skip, Man on Roof PoH itemless, Top of Dodongo's Cavern PoH itemless, Crater bean PoH with hover boots, Shadow Temple without longshot.
  • cheetah7071 has also started doing casual video guides for how to handle randomizer-specific dungeon routes: Great Deku Tree, Dodongo's Cavern, Forest Temple, Fire Temple, Water Temple, Under the Well, Gerudo Training Ground, Spirit Temple, Shadow Temple
  • Again, though, the best way to learn is to play. Save the hour-long tutorial videos and day-long stream binges for when you start to plateau and want a boost to get your game to the next level.

If you have played OoT Randomizer before, PGC is similar to Accessible, but with the following changes:
  • Start with Deku Shield and max nuts/sticks. gently caress that initial 'get 40 rupees for a shield and 50 for sticks' grind.
  • Start with max rupees, and new wallets auto-fill. gently caress all rupee grinding, TBH.
  • Start with Stone of Agony. If you still need help remembering grotto locations, here's a list of all 33 grottos, hidden and otherwise, and what you need to get into them.
  • Turn off all required tricks. You should be able to use tricks to check places for sequence breaks when you're stuck on the 'canon' path, but making them mandatory just feels weird. The easier hover boot jump skips are still on, though. ...mostly because the randomizer doesn't make turning it off an option.
  • Vanilla Lens of Truth requirements. Same reason as for tricks.
  • Free Scarecrow's Song. Running across Hyrule Field to get the song twice is just busywork.
  • No Ice Traps. No more clenching your buttcheeks and preparing to button mash every time you open a chest!
  • Anju requires 0 cuccos. It can easily be done with no items (glide from the unfinished house platform with a Cucco), so it's not a puzzle, just busywork.
  • :siren: Gerudo horse archery second prize, all bombchu bowling prizes, and 40 & 50 skulltula prizes will always be junk items. :siren: Beating the first archery course are already a logic check. There's no reason to include an unpleasant skill check on top of that. Skulltula hunting, past a certain point, is also just a memorization/tedium check. Bombchu bowling has three separate prizes, which you get is chosen randomly, and below a very high skill level, it is almost completely luck-based. Pass.
Complete list of settings and version changelog.

Ready to join us?
The most recent seed that we're playing, including a patch file, can be found here!

Probably Incomplete List of Main Seeds
Made with Randomizer Version 5.1
v1.01
PGC v1.01 Seed #01: The Infamous Hellseed - Winner: cheetah7071 (5h55m)

v1.02
PGC v1.02 Seed #01: You Bottle Beware - Winner: cheetah7071 (4h28m)
PGC v1.02 Seed #02: What You Want vs. What You Need - Winner: cheetah7071 (5h02m)
PGC v1.02 Seed #03: Foamier Action - Winner: Blorange (4h54m)
PGC v1.02 Seed #04: Draining The Well - Winner: Blorange (3h21m)
PGC v1.02 Seed #05: Your Name Is Also Bort? - Winner: Blorange (3h29m)
PGC v1.02 Seed #06: Thanksgiving Cucco - Winner: Blorange (4h21m)
PGC v1.02 Seed #07: Dampe's Secret - Winner: Blorange (4h46m)
PGC v1.02 Seed #08: Bottled Cucco - Winner: Blorange (4h13m)

v1.03a
PGC v1.03a Seed #01: Ruto's Letter to Santa - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h51m)
PGC v1.03a Seed #02: Goron Posting Jail - Winner: Blorange (4h14m)

PGC v1.03 Seed #01: Drink Your Milk - Winner: Blorange (3h55m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #02: That Ocarina Kid - Winner: Blorange (3h25m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #03: Man with Hat is Super Cool! - Winner: PMush Perfect (4h22m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #04: Kaepora Gaebora - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h34m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #05: ganon castle collapse was an inside job!!! - cheetah7071 (2h53m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #06: PB for Everyone! - Winner: Blorange (3h05m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #07: Vovagia Has The Hookshot - Winner: Blorange (3h30m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #08: lagend off zildor - Winner: Blorange (3h10m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #09: Stop! Megaton Time! - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h09m)
PGC v1.03 Seed #09: The gently caress, It's So Hot In Here! - Arzaac (2h52m)

Made With Randomizer Version 5.2
v1.04
PGC v1.04 Seed #01: Mido's Homemade Light Arrows - Winner: cheetah7071 (2h58m)
PGC v1.04 Seed #02: heeheex2's Awakening - Winner: Man With Hat (4h37m)
PGC v1.04 Seed #03: Hang In There, PMush - Winner: Blorange (3h18m)
PGC v1.04 Seed #04: DONKEY KONG 64! 100 PERCENT! :byodood: - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h12m)
PGC v1.04 Seed #05: Dirk Hardpec - Winner: Man with Hat (3h30m)
PGC v1.04 Seed #06: BotW2 Trailer, Pls, Nintendo? - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h44m)
PGC v1.04 Seed #07: Light Arrows are in Jabu - Winner: cheetah7071 (4h30m)
PGC v1.04 Seed #08: I'll Defer To You Guys Again - Ongoing

(This is about the point where we fell off having weekly seeds. Now it's just whenever and whatever you feel like doing.)

Probably Incomplete List of Bonus Seeds
Made with Randomizer Version 5.1
Based on v1.02
Bonus Seed #01: Not So Keysy - Winner: Procrastine (7h06m)
Bonus Seed #02: Song Shuffle Spectacular - Winner: cheetah7071 (4h17m)
Bonus Seed #03: Bomb Room Blitz - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h17m)
Bonus Seed #04: Deliberate Hellseed - Winner: Procrastine (5h55m)
Bonus Seed #05: Black Friday - Winner: Procrastine (4h44m)
Bonus Seed #06: In Portal Peril - Winner: Blorange (3h44m)
Bonus Seed #07: Dark Skulls :darksouls: - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h41m)
Bonus Seed #08: Fancy Wrapping Paper - Winner: PMush Perfect (3h42m)

Based on v1.03
Bonus Seed #09: Take It Easy - Winner: cheetah7071 (3h02m)
Bonus Seed #10: Chill Out, Dickwad - Winner: PMush Perfect (4h46m)
Bonus Seed #11: Oh, Boy, Another Token - Winner: Blorange (4h25m)
Bonus Seed #12: Stones of Agony & Less Agony Please - Winners: cheetah7071 (3h50m) & Blorange (2h31m)
Bonus Seed #13: Grotto Goal - Winner: PMush Perfect (5h08m)
Bonus Seed #14: Song Shuffle Spectacular, Second Set - Winner: Arzaac (6h14m)
Bonus Seed #15: Always Bet "Confusing Dungeons", Everyone! - Winner: Man With Hat (4h36m)
Bonus Seed #16: Shopping For Bombchus - Winner: Man With Hat (4h05m)
Bonus Seed #17: What You Might Expect - Winner: cheetah7071 (2h47m)
Bonus Seed #18: I'm A Big Boy! - Winner: Nobody!

Made With Randomizer Version 5.2
Based on v1.04
Bonus Seed #19: PGC Triforce Hunt! - Winner: Blorange (2h14m)
Bonus Seed #20: Skybilz Classic - Winner: Blorange (4h13m)
Bonus Seed #21: Blitz Mode - Winner: Blorange (2h40m)
Bonus Seed #22: Everything Pizza - Winner: Blorange (2h13m)
Bonus Seed #23: Big Boy Rules - Winner: Blorange (3h51m)
Bonus Seed #24: Ganon's Final Exam - Winner: PMush Perfect (4h32m)
Bonus Seed #25: Oh, God - Ongoing

(This is about the point where we fell off having weekly seeds. Now it's just whenever and whatever you feel like doing.)

--------------------------------------------------

PGC v1.02 Seed #1

Patch Download
OR
Settings String: AJWYTKAHXCACAAJWAS7A8S8ACTCTFBJTRBAAANK2KUCA
Seed: PGCV102S01

Well, the v1.01 seed was... informative. Open Door of Time should allow more time-hopping shenanigans, and a more freeform experience for new players. That's the theory, anyways. Hopefully we won't get another hellseed this time, I'd like to get at least one sub-six with my own drat settings.

Participants
cheetah7071 (4h28m)
PMush Perfect (5h27s)
Procrastine (~6h)
And more are always welcome! This is always going to be informal, but it's especially so right now.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think my goal for personal improvement is to get consistent sub-5 hour because that enables me to finish a game in one (long) sitting before bed time if I start playing right after dinner

sub-4 would be even better for that but baby steps

e: this means shaving a full hour off but hopefully this isn't a hellseed

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 22, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, I'm two hours in, just went adult for the first time. Taking a break to get some food, and...

I lost like ten to twenty minutes trying to Tree B1 skip (remind me to practice that when I'm off the clock), only to immediately find the Slingshot in Zora's River, so that was frustrating. As for making up that time/being a hellseed, I don't think it's all-dungeons unless Epona has something necessary, but it's going to be convenient without her. And Water Temple being on the way of the hero is frustrating as hell, it's by far my least favorite/slowest dungeon. At least you get a LOT of adult stuff as a kid, and I don't have to gently caress around with skulltula collecting.

Also, I chuckled at the stones all being in their corresponding adult dungeons, that was an amusing coincidence.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 22, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Done. I wasn't timing myself because I thought there was an ingame timer after the credits like LttP rando. I took longer than I needed because I thought the trials were active so I wasted a bunch of time looking for Hammer and Golden Gauntlets. Back when I played this more, I shuffled songs into the general pool so I didn't prioritise song spots like I should have. Also, wow, boot toggle makes Water and Shadow so much faster. Except the only important thing in water was in the first chest I checked, so I wasted a bunch of time in there. I missed some gossip stones, and from PMush's post, sounds like they had important hints. Would have saved a lot of time knowing Water Temple was important and no token rewards were worthwhile.

Places I should have checked earlier: Saria on bridge, Sheik in forest, Water Temple

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just finished, myself. 5:27! Easily could have gone sub-5 if I hadn't spent so long faffing about and tabbing out to answer messages, and someone really efficient could probably go sub-4 without breaking a sweat. Entire back half of the game felt pretty go-mode, except for Ruto's Letter, which caused a pain in the rear end detour into the GtG and then the Water Temple.

Procrastine posted:

ingame timer / trials inactive
poo poo, I thought I put both of those in the post. My bad, I'll fix it. Got a ballpark estimate?

Procrastine posted:

Saria on bridge
Huh. I always route that as a quick in-and-out with open Forest, even when Ocarina is shuffled. Does it not pay off?

Procrastine posted:

Would have saved a lot of time knowing Water Temple was important and no token rewards were worthwhile.
Yeah, there were gossip stones for Water Temple is on the path of the hero and the contents of 20 and 30 skulltulas, but I couldn't tell you where, offhand.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Just finished, myself. 5:27! Easily could have gone sub-5 if I hadn't spent so long faffing about and tabbing out to answer messages, and someone really efficient could probably go sub-4 without breaking a sweat. Entire back half of the game felt pretty go-mode, except for Ruto's Letter, which caused a pain in the rear end detour into the GtG and then the Water Temple.

poo poo, I thought I put both of those in the post. My bad, I'll fix it. Got a ballpark estimate?

My emulator says 5:32 realtime, though I used fastforward for ladders/cutscenes/backwalking across hyrule field because I'm impatient and figured it wouldn't affect an ingame timer. This also doesn't include any time spent looking at the tracker. Idk round me to 6:00 I guess?

quote:

Huh. I always route that as a quick in-and-out with open Forest, even when Ocarina is shuffled. Does it not pay off?

It was basically just me going "hey, Mido's house had bombs, I should do all the bomb stuff in Lost Woods then work my way through Goron City and down Death Mountain, surely Saria has nothing important" and then paying for my hubris.

quote:

Yeah, there were gossip stones for Water Temple is on the path of the hero and the contents of 20 and 30 skulltulas, but I couldn't tell you where, offhand.

I got the 20 skulltula hint, but missed the other two. I missed the Valley grotto stone because I forgot it was there until I had no reason to go there as child and I believe it needs hammer as adult; the Castle storms grotto stone because by the time I got the song I had no reason to return there; the Medigoron stone because my first trip I was low on bombs and forgot how generous Ocarina is with bomb drops and then I found a stone that said nothing worthwhile was in Goron City so I just never went back. Basically, gossip stones being on a different tab on the tracker means I forgot to check them sometimes. Same for skulltulas, I could have reached 30 faster if I didn't have to either switch tabs or rely on memory.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
starting off, goal is 4:45 or better cause that'll let me finish before bedtime. We'll see how it goes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I went ahead and added the timer and trials things to the main post, and Pro's ~6:00 time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Final time of 4:28:58, if my last item had been in an annoying location I would have had to do it in two sittings

This seed had an insanely hot start with bombs, longshot, hover boots, and nocturne all in the first wave of items. There was an early hint for din's fire and the bow so if you're willing to do lens-less shadow (which I was) you're ready for it super early. I actually ended up clearing spirit temple first despite that (well, not first first, deku tree and dodongo's cavern were obviously my first two dungeon clears) because you don't actually need that many items to beat it. And then of course after Jabu was my only remaining dungeon it took me another two hours to find ruto's letter. The big lesson of this seed is "don't be afraid to do stone dungeons"

e: I too apparently missed some important gossip stones

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 23, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The second-biggest lesson is "Gossip stones!" It's using tournament distribution, so there should be a few duplicates, too.

How do we feel about the logic settings? Any new changes?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
These rules seem great for normal weeklies or whatever. Mixing it up once in a while with oddball rules would also be good but I don't think this has to change

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just finished up a run of my own making, and I never even had to set foot inside the Water Temple at all. Highlights included getting Biggoron's Sword before going adult, finding the kokiri sword deep into shadow temple in a room where I've found it in another randomized run, and searching desperately for the spirit temple boss key so I could go back into it for the fourth or fifth time and finally beat the dungeon for good and get the shadow medallion. I had ganon boss key set to light arrow cutscene and started the run with spirit medallion, so I figured maybe it wouldn't take so long. Nope!

Anyway, it was nice to play again and even cooler to see the d-pad shortcuts in the randomizer now. Though thinking about quality of life stuff, I remember watching ZFG play runs in the past and he had something that allowed him to check all dungeons, keys, medallions and map/compass on the pause menu. Was that some kind of lua script he was running in the background? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FPzero posted:

Anyway, it was nice to play again and even cooler to see the d-pad shortcuts in the randomizer now. Though thinking about quality of life stuff, I remember watching ZFG play runs in the past and he had something that allowed him to check all dungeons, keys, medallions and map/compass on the pause menu. Was that some kind of lua script he was running in the background? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Press A on your item menu

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

cheetah7071 posted:

Press A on your item menu

oh for gently caress's...

I had memory of him doing it on the Map/Dungeon screen, not the item menu, so I never even tried it on the item menu.

thank you :cripes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PGC v1.02 Seed #2

Patch Download
OR
Settings: AJWYTKAHXCACAAJWAS7A8S8ACTCTFBJTRBAAANK2KUCA
Seed: SeedsCantHaveSpaces

Seems to have worked out well, so far. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And so we don't burn out, let's stretch it out a little more. We'll figure out the exact day new ones go up (I was thinking the evening of Friday the 1st, let this first one run a little long, so every new seed comes up just before the weekend), but this seed's gonna run for one week. And to give some small incentive, the fastest time each week gets to decide the new seed for next week!

Participants
cheetah7071 (05:02:28)
PMush Perfect (05:13:42)
Blorange (05:14:00)
Procrastine (:rip:)

But what if you like the accelerated pace? Well, how about...

PGC Bonus Game #1: Not So Keysy

Patch Download
OR
Settings: AJWYTKAHXCACAAJ6D67A8S8ACTCTFBJTRBAAANK2FUCA
Seed: NotSoKeysy

A bonus seed. Something new and different, which everyone is welcome to participate in, as well as or instead of standard PGC! While fastest in the standard weekly is mostly just for fun, best time in the Bonus Game will allow you to choose next week's rules! (Within reason, please.) This first one is much like PGC, but it has two new rules to shake things up. Boss Keysanity and Master Quest Dungeons! All dungeons will be in their Master Quest configurations, and the boss keys (including Ganon's) can be anywhere in the world! Not the most drastic change, but it should be enough to keep us entertained.

Participants
cheetah7071 (:rip:)
PMush Perfect (In-progress)
Procrastine (7:06)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 27, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know if we have enough activity to support two seeds every week. I was thinking alternating serious seeds and silly seeds. At any rate, now that we've hammered out the rules, switching to weekly is good. I'm in an OoT rando mood recently but it certainly won't support the near-daily seed pace this week had for too much longer

Do you want me to edit in any of your posts into the OP? I could put the ruleset we're using there if you want.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know if we have enough activity to support two seeds every week. I was thinking alternating serious seeds and silly seeds. At any rate, now that we've hammered out the rules, switching to weekly is good. I'm in an OoT rando mood recently but it certainly won't support the near-daily seed pace this week had for too much longer
If two seeds turns out to be too much, I'll drop it and we'll alternate, yeah. I imagine it probably will be, but you never know if you don't try.

cheetah7071 posted:

Do you want me to edit in any of your posts into the OP? I could put the ruleset we're using there if you want.
How about the banner with an embedded link to the post? Plus whatever you wanna say about it.

code:
[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901690#post499343607][img]https://i.imgur.com/MN0fAue.jpg[/img][/url]

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Made a banner for the thread because I have a working debit card again and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Here's the first version of it, at an economical 386 kb. Nice, right? But there's a problem. Because the site was built in 2000 and is still held together with duct tape and bodge, the maximum size for a banner ad is...

40 kb! :pseudo:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Got 5:02:28 on the new normal seed

I feel like the opener this seed is really interesting because the items you get and the hints you get pull you in opposite directions

Also I'm a dumbass who wasn't using all the information the hints gave me. (General strategy tip in this spoiler but it is directly relevant to this seed so click only if you're okay with that) If one of the pain in the rear end items (like biggoron, big poes, etc) is hinted at and has a real item behind it, it isn't guaranteed that that item is necessary to beat the seed but it is exceedingly likely. I wasted probably 45 minutes doing theoretically easier checks instead of thinking about the fact that I should do the hint check even though it sounds terrible normally

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Welp, technical difficulties 2 hours in reset my progress to the last time I savewarped, so I guess I'm not doing the main seed :rip:

Bonus seed done in 7:06. I'm rusty on my Master Quest, and I somehow didn't notice when I got the Ganon's Castle key, so I opened a bunch of chests I didn't need to. Looking at the spoiler log, apparently the generic grotto gossip stones don't all share the same hint like the tracker claims, so I guess I've been missing around 8 hint spots without knowing.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

That banner worked on me, I've been doing OoT runs for a while and its sweet that have thread for it now!

I'll give the 1.02 seed a try this weekend, I'm doing a mixed seed all dungeons keysanity race in a few weeks and it'll be good practice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Procrastine posted:

Welp, technical difficulties 2 hours in reset my progress to the last time I savewarped, so I guess I'm not doing the main seed :rip:

Bonus seed done in 7:06. I'm rusty on my Master Quest, and I somehow didn't notice when I got the Ganon's Castle key, so I opened a bunch of chests I didn't need to. Looking at the spoiler log, apparently the generic grotto gossip stones don't all share the same hint like the tracker claims, so I guess I've been missing around 8 hint spots without knowing.

The grottos were changed in version 5.0 of the randomizer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I've ever done the master quest dungeons before, is there anywhere that lists the logic for them so I don't dumbly wander into dungeons I don't have the right items for?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think I've ever done the master quest dungeons before, is there anywhere that lists the logic for them so I don't dumbly wander into dungeons I don't have the right items for?
I did some searching, couldn't find anything.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't have a list either but from my last run I had MQ Forest, Fire, Shadow, Ice, and Dodongo. Give me a bit and I'll try to remember and list a few things I encountered playing them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

If I remember right the items needed should be the same, the puzzles and layout are just different.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh!

Use the tracker! It has MQ dungeon settings, it'll tell you what chests you can get without you needing to check yourself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr E posted:

If I remember right the items needed should be the same, the puzzles and layout are just different.

Well there's actually some weird stuff in vanilla like the deku tree not needing the slingshot if you know a skip, huge swaths of dodongo being skippable as an adult, neither shadow nor spirit needing the longshot despite it being an earlier dungeon's item, etc. The hammer in particular is almost worthless outside of fire temple.

I'm just browsing a walkthrough and some notes (these are just items you need in addition to the vanilla items):

-Deku tree now hard requires slingshot. There's also some chests in the basement loop so do it instead of skipping it
-Dodongo's requires fire for one room but you might be able to skip it by entering as adult and doing the first floor loop backwards. There's still no point in doing the loop in the boss area, just come as adult and skip it
-Jabu looks like it now requires the slingshot
-The vanilla path through Forest still requires song of time. I'm not sure if you can skip it with bow+hookshot like you could in vanilla
-One check in Fire now requires either fire magic or a bow, and another requires song of time
-Ice cavern now requires either hookshot or bow
-Water temple requires din's fire for some checks, and fire magic or bow to enter the central pillar
-Bottom of the well now needs slingshot/boomerang (and a lot of the rooms are skippable now, the well looks less loaded in MQ than in Vanilla)
-Shadow Temple might require fire arrows, hard to tell if Din's works without trying myself. It now requires bow (longshot+scarecrow's song was good enough in vanilla) and song of time. It comes close to hard-requiring lens of truth. Some of these might be skippable if you enter with hovers or aren't doing a full clear, not sure
-Spirit doesn't require strength 2 to start as an adult (there's stuff to do in the entrance room). To full clear you need fire magic, slingshot, song of time, longshot, bow, hammer, and (logical) lens of truth
-GTG now requires fire magic, hover boots, iron boots, bombs, and (logical) lens of truth. It no longer seems to require strength 2.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 24, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just for posterity's sake, here's the item requirements to full clear each vanilla dungeon:

-Deku: deku shield, logical slingshot (but the skip is easy)
-Dodongo's: bombs (chus work, I think you need seven total. Four can be skipped if you have strength 1). As child, you need slingshot; as adult you logically need bow or hover boots (but the skip is super easy). Always do dodongo as adult. You need bombs or strength 1 to even enter as a child, or nothing as an adult
-Jabu: ruto's letter to access, boomerang once inside.
-Well: song of storms to access, bombs and zelda's lullaby once inside
-Forest: hookshot and either minuet or saria's song to access (song skip is easy, hookshot is hard required). Once inside, you need the bow, and logically need either the longshot or song of time (but it's an easy skip). Some horrible seeds will require the hover boots. You always need strength 1.
-Fire: Bolero, hookshot, or hover boots to enter. Goron's Tunic always (though you can cheese it a bit since fairies will revive you through heat deaths). Once inside, you hard require the hammer to defeat volvagia. Depending on the seed, you may require hover boots or bow to full clear. Hookshot or bombs are needed for a few checks
-Ice cavern: ruto's letter to access, nothing once inside
-Water: zora's tunic and iron boots to access. Longshot is always required inside. Most seeds you need zelda' lullaby but sometimes you can get the boss key without changing the water level. One check requires song of time and two checks require bow. You can actually access most of the dungeon with the gold scale (only one check is truly inaccessible without irons).
-Shadow: Nocturne, din's fire, magic, and either hookshot or hover boots required to enter. Once inside you logically need the lens of truth and longshot but both are easy skips. You always need zelda's lullaby and bombs.
-Spirit: Child spirit needs requiem to access, then boomerang or slingshot to clear. Adult spirit needs either wasteland access (either longshot or epona's song plus hover boots) plus lens of truth to enter, or you can skip all that with requiem. Once inside you need strength 2, mirror shield, fire magic (can be done with deku sticks as a child at the cost of a small key), bombs, (logical) lens of truth, hookshot, and bow to full clear. Bow is skippable with an easy skip.
-GTG: Bow, hookshot, (logical) lens of truth, strength 2, hammer (but it's easy to skip), song of time, iron boots. Bow+hookshot gives you most of the checks and strength 2 gives most of the rest.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 24, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Forest MQ:
-I guess you can climb the vines in the opening room without getting hit by skulltulas but it might be a pain so Hookshot or Bow is handy to get partway up
-You need Song of Time or Fire Arrows to access the little room high up that connects the two outdoor areas.
-You can get outside without the Bow, but it requires a very precise Hookshot in the block-moving room to the ledge you can hover too in Normal. You gotta aim the Hookshot into a gap between the wall and the white ghostly platforms that get used often. This is almost certainly not in logic.
-If you have Longshot, you can hook yourself to the outdoor ledge chest near the door leading to the checkerboard room, and then use Song of Time to move the blocks near that door and enter the checkerboard room. There's a chest in there too.
-You still need Bow to finish the dungeon, and at least one strength upgrade to move the blocks in the block room to the west of the main lobby.

Fire MQ:
-Opening room requires Hammer to get into the main part of the dungeon. You can do the whole lower area where the boss key is in vanilla, except for the chest inside the goron's cell because it needs Hammer.
-To get into Darunia's room, you need Din's Fire or Fire Arrows, unless I completely misunderstood how you're supposed to light those torches otherwise.
-You can still hover to the boss door.
-You definitely need Hookshot, Song of Time, Bow, and Bombs to open all the chests later in the dungeon

Shadow MQ:
-You only seem to need Hover Boots for one room, and it's the very large, open room halfway through with the guillotines, huge pits, and more. You also need Fire Arrows for a frozen switch in that room, and Longshot is needed to open the room with the ceiling spikes on chains but not to reach the aforementioned Hover Boots door leading further into the dungeon.
-You need Hookshot or maybe a Hover Boots roll to enter the dungeon, Bombs to get into the room before dead hand, and Song of Time to get into the other half of the room before dead hand. Lens required means you're never meant to go past the opening room without it. You also need Bow and Fire Arrows if you don't have Hover Boots for the opening room, because they will make a white platform appear where you would otherwise need Hover Boots in Normal, allowing you to skip that part without them.
-You probably need Longshot for some of the later rooms. I had it by then so I don't know if Hookshot is sufficient.
-You still need Din's Fire for the room at the end of the dungeon with the wooden spike walls.
-You don't need Iron Boots for the fan room if you time your movements carefully.

Ice MQ:
-You need at least one Bottle, of course.
-You need Bombs for a well-hidden crystal switch in the floor of one room. There might be other ways to activate it but I used a bomb explosion.
-There's a red/blue crystal switch in the opening room that either requires Hookshot, Bow, or a timed Bomb throw to activate.
-You need Song of Time for at least one chest, and maybe some platforming in the sliding block room.

Dodongo's MQ:
-I did this as Adult so I don't know how it'll be for Child.
-You need Goron Bracelet or Bombs to enter the main room like in Normal. You still need Bombs to open the Dodongo statue's mouth.
-Having Bombs allows you to blow up a rock hiding a switch and get to the upper areas early.
-Being Adult means you can make a couple jumps too high for Child.
-You need Slingshot/Bow to hit a couple eye switches before the normal Bombs chest or Hover Boots in the Bombs chest room to grab a pillar and skip that area. You also need Din's Fire or Fire Arrows as Adult to light the three torches in that room that normally require a sliding block puzzle and lit Deku Stick.

That's everything I can think of but it's by no means a comprehensive list I'm sure. Hope it helps for those dungeons.

fake edit: i just previewed my post and saw plenty of other posts giving hints but gently caress it i spent an hour putting this together so here's my post anyway

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Jabu MQ needs Slingshot for everything except one chest in the first room. I'm sure this will be relevant in some hellseeds.
Well MQ can be done without Lullaby by backflipping over a hole (the hole is behind rocks, so you need bombs).
GTG MQ still requires strength 2 for one chest.
GTG access needs either Epona or Longshot.

That's all I've got that wasn't already covered.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BTW, the link to the PGC post in the OP doesn't work, it keeps just sending me back to the OP.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What weapons are effective against Flare Dancer? I know hookshot and I think you can time a bomb throw, but I have neither and I only have 1 key in Fire Temple left. I'm not sure if I should use it on the locked door in the lobby that leads to vanilla boss key or use it on the door that leads to the fire jet block pusher. I think I need another key at the top of that room anyway.

edit: I'm in keysanity, which is why I don't have the keys I need to go further.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FPzero posted:

What weapons are effective against Flare Dancer? I know hookshot and I think you can time a bomb throw, but I have neither and I only have 1 key in Fire Temple left. I'm not sure if I should use it on the locked door in the lobby that leads to vanilla boss key or use it on the door that leads to the fire jet block pusher. I think I need another key at the top of that room anyway.

edit: I'm in keysanity, which is why I don't have the keys I need to go further.

Hammer works too. Don't even need to hit the dancer, just the ground anywhere near it

e: I'm also pretty sure you never need to time bomb throws against enemies--bombs instantly detonate when they touch enemies. That's true of beamos and skulltulas at least

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Maybe I need to go through flame dancer then.

Another question: I have all tricks disabled. Do you think the randomizer considers Ganon's Tower Shadow Trial chest by the entrance obtainable with hover boots rolling to be in logic? It's a big chest for me and I'm itching to know what's in it. I've got the boots.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
logic is overrated, if you can reach it go for it

That said, if something is reachable without a double-roll hover it's probably in-logic, that seems to be the general philosophy. (By double roll I mean starting a roll just before you go off the edge so it ends early enough that you can begin a second roll while still hovering, which gives you extra distance)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This chest is definitely a double. I may as well see what it is. I just never like getting too far off-logic in case I get myself stuck somewhere, or overlook options because I have later items. I'll try these ideas, thanks.

edit: Slingshot in GC chest lol. I started with adult and don't have child access yet. So much for worrying about being out of logic!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Looks like I need to unfreeze King Zora while he's still blocking the path to Zora's Fountain. That doesn't cause problems later? Or does he move as Adult when you move him as a Child?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Well, I just spent a few hours harshly learning (Nov 1 vanilla seed spoiler) You don't need Iron Boots to get past the fans in the shadow temple?? What???? I've never had to go through there without them, ever. That's finishing the shadow temple at 4 hours into the run instead of 90 minutes, which leads to the frogs leading to the pedestal. Agh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
well I don't think the tracker understands master quest logic as well as I'd hoped because I've literally marked off every single item it thinks I have access to

this seed may be cursed but I think master quest encourages cursed seeds. Because nearly every dungeon requires a ton of items, getting something like the hammer activates scattered checks all over the world instead of a huge chunk of fire temple and little else like in vanilla. I'm 3 and a half hours in with only one dungeon completed and I'm calling it quits I don't care enough to figure out where the tracker went wrong--or maybe I screwed up and checked off an item I shouldn't have, who knows, this is part of why I don't like relying on trackers. In my normal play I have a sheet of paper and jot down checks I'm skipping rather than the ones I got. Plus this tracker has some very confusing names for some of the master quest chests so I could have just hosed it up that way.

if anyone who completes the master quest seed cares to spoil me, where was the first strength upgrade?

e: never mind don't answer that I think I figured out how I'm supposed to proceed. It's still a hell seed.

FPzero posted:

Looks like I need to unfreeze King Zora while he's still blocking the path to Zora's Fountain. That doesn't cause problems later? Or does he move as Adult when you move him as a Child?

he does

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 25, 2019