Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, I'm not really feeling these rules either. Think I'm gonna switch over to just the 'official' weekly rules, if I decide to play again. (That, or just learn LttPR. The shorter playtime is extremely appealing.) Good on you for actually getting the thread moving again, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ok, so, I hate 9 out of 10 changes here, all except for the Skull Mask check. Farming for rupees is not fun and doesn't add challenge in any interesting way, only a bunch of wasted time, so I much prefer to start with Deku equipment and full wallet and have Anju's free money available. Not sure why you think leaving and reentering a zone to grab 20 rupees over and over again is fun. Ice Traps serve literally no purpose but to waste a couple seconds; I guess I don't mind them really but why put them in? Skulltullas suck, I hate having to constantly futz around with bottle bugs and having 40 and 50 excluded lets me just skip that poo poo. The hints I think are in a good place in tournament mode; they're quite strong already.

But I want to make a special, heartfelt plea for never enabling 1500 horseback archery. When I was a kid, and probably still now if I tried, I could get 1500 on the archery consistently every time. . . on the original n64. It was a hella fun minigame. When I first started doing randos, on an emulator, with an xbox 360 controller, it took me literally dozens of tries, like upwards of half an hour, every single seed, until I just stopped doing seeds with it. I tried a million things to try and get the analog stick of the xbox 360 controller analog sticks to not suck, but I never could figure it out (horseback archery wasn't its only problem). I have an n64 controller adapter now, so it's less bad, but it's still not as good as the real thing. It's just hard to get analog stick settings set perfectly, even if the hardware is working properly. With my n64 controller adapter, I'd guess that I can get 1500 half of my attempts, maybe. Nothing else in the game requires anywhere near that much precision - the closest things are the lost woods target practice and some of the longshot-only really-far-away hookshot targets, but you can reposition Link to make those work, and the regular archery games, which are manageable a bit easier because the far rupees move and can be timed instead of aimed perfectly. Including 1500 horseback archery makes anyone who has a less-than-ideal controller setup waste a BUNCH of time, for dumb reasons.

Anyways, I was just thinking earlier today that I should start a run and post it itt. Here's my proposal for an alternate method of choosing settings and posting seeds ITT: :justpost:

No structure, no winners, whatever. Just, like, post seeds, and play along with seeds that others have posted, if you want. Want to try a particular settings? post it, and maybe others will play along too, or not, whatever. Just Post.

Since I'm out of practice, I figure I should warm up with a vanilla one, so here's one using the standard settings from the main seeds.

Settings: AJEPGBAESZQAAJAAATCAYD2D4DJELEYEAFAAASF3AFAASVEWAA
Seed: fuck1500horsebackarchery

Bombchu, saw, stone of agony, saw, stone of agony

I will report back in a day or two how it goes.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 6, 2020

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
once i learned that the aiming in oot is super hosed up and is like, skewed relative to the direction you aim, i got a lot better at it. it's still really rear end though lol

like, if you aim straight ahead, you'll shoot straight ahead. if you start aiming right, every degree right you turn will make the aim be off-centre that many degrees right. probably doesn't make sense but if you watch zfg do horseback archery it might lol

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

heehee posted:

once i learned that the aiming in oot is super hosed up and is like, skewed relative to the direction you aim, i got a lot better at it. it's still really rear end though lol

like, if you aim straight ahead, you'll shoot straight ahead. if you start aiming right, every degree right you turn will make the aim be off-centre that many degrees right. probably doesn't make sense but if you watch zfg do horseback archery it might lol

okay but can you phrase that in a way that isn't a tautology? I have no idea what you're trying to say.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
when exactly are you grinding for rupees in a seed without shopsanity

I've played seeds without starting rupees plenty and the literal only stress point in the entire game is when I'm finishing child 1, if I have bombs, and want to buy both scrub items in lost woods. Even then, you can get the second one later as adult if you don't have enough.

I guess if you do the valley->lake opener it's sometimes a bit tricky to have enough rupees for child fishing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess maybe once every few hundred seeds you'll need to grind rupees to buy blue fire but even then you're probably selling bugs or fish for a lot more than 20 per pop

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My positive endorsement of starting with nothing is that it shakes up the opener a little bit by only letting you do deku instantly about half the time. Variety makes the opener less dull

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

You're right that it's rare. I mostly remember doing it when I get explosives early and want to do lost woods and hyrule field, and need cash for the scrubs. Like, if you do Kokiri Forest, straight to Castle Town, gently caress up the chain and only get 20, do shooting gallery for -20, grab the nighttime box red for 20, grab another chain one on the way out for 20 more, do cucco game for -10, and somewhere along there you got bombs, now you're wanting to do -90 in scrubs, maybe grab child fishing while you're near there for -20 more, and you also need to spend some on sticks, and a deku shield if you want to do deku tree before you go adult. so you've probably picked up a couple blues along the way, but you're still like 100-150 rupees in the hole, and because I'm bad at planning I end up grinding the blue rupee at the entrance to Sacred Forest Meadow so I can afford the scrub near there. Just in and out of that zone like ten loving times. And then I go back to Kokiri Forest and am like "poo poo, gotta buy a shield" and grind another 30 there. Anyways, starting with a deku shield and 99 rupees pretty much negates all that.

I'm sure that's all super inefficient; I'm nowhere near on your level, cheetah.

insane plan: if we want to shake up the opener, we could ban deku tree basement skip. I just spent like 10 minutes failing at it earlier, spoilers for the seed I posted massively worth it, medallion and strength upgrade on gohma.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm all for that. I mean granted, I'm not actually a good enough player to pull off the trick. I just kind of resent how it makes doing Deku Tree first such a go-to strategy, which to me at least seems against the spirit of Rando.

I will get to the seed you posted eventually by the way. My goal is to play Rando in a group setting, not dictate how other people should be playing it, since interest in my idea seems tepid. I'll probably ditch the Skulltulla settings in any future seeds I post but I maintain that Horse Archery for all its difficulty is still better than Skull Mask for newbies if only because you're explicitly told there's a prize for a high score in Horse Archery. Good luck figuring out what to do with the Skull Mask, or that you can do anything at all with the Skull Mask, if you're not looking at a guide.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For what it's worth I enjoy 40/50 skull seeds, I just don't like the Sun's Song thing

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Since I'm out of practice, I figure I should warm up with a vanilla one, so here's one using the standard settings from the main seeds.

Settings: AJEPGBAESZQAAJAAATCAYD2D4DJELEYEAFAAASF3AFAASVEWAA
Seed: fuck1500horsebackarchery

Bombchu, saw, stone of agony, saw, stone of agony

3:41. Maybe the fastest I've ever completed a standard seed? Got lucky doing Ice Cavern instead of what would have probably been the smart move, which would be to have done fire temple (which ended up being piss easy) and gotten the kak cutscene song first, but Ice Cav had the Requiem anyway. WotH Desert Colossus was bait; I assume it was Epona's, that was needed for frogs, hinted to have hovers, which presumably led to either bombs or child projectiles, both of which I circumvented the need for with bombchus. Or maybe it was the fairy fountain, I never did that. In any case I had already hit "go mode" once I got the Mirror Shield, but I hosed up the Spirit Temple a bunch. Died twice, ran out of chus, went to Ice Cavern to get blue fire to thaw Zora for 10 more chus, then finally finished it. Had I just known how to do the crystal switch in child Spirit with chus ahead of time, instead of just winging it and getting it on the third try, I could have saved like half an hour. Also wasted two chus failing to open the rock that lets light in to the child side of Spirit, once as adult and once more when I came back as child to do the deku stick checks. Anyways I'm bad and could have easily gotten sub 3:30 if I just sucked less with chus.

edit: just realized the hovers might have been WotH for getting to volvagia; looking at the log it was that volvag had a key necessary to progress in fire temple, which had a lens at pierre (which I had seen the hint for as well). lens was woth for one of the invisible chests in spirit temple. what a convoluted-rear end troll path for a WOTH hint that can be bypassed by knowing where that chest is. I might disable lens logic in future seeds I post :mad:. Also I forgot to check frogs in the rain when i went through zora's river backwards, and that's where the main intended bombs were apparently.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 7, 2020

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess if you do the valley->lake opener it's sometimes a bit tricky to have enough rupees for child fishing

[ASK] me about being at lake 5 minutes in with 15 rupees, coming back at 2 hrs 20 to do child fishing and finding go mode hovers.

I've been playing a lot of rando on the Scrubs Central discord - there's a tournament on at the moment which was open to everyone, and it's a really good place to try and improve, due to the smaller size and higher focus compared to the main discord. They have some pretty good easier settings: no ice traps, 40/50 skulls and 1500 HBA disabled, and new lens logic which makes it required for wasteland, chest mini game and everything in Shadow Temple past the invisible moving block. That last point in particular is much better than lens required everywhere in my opinion.

I'm with Cheetah in that i prefer starting with nothing so that you don't rush Deku Tree every time, but I'm not that bothered either way.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

DontMockMySmock posted:

3:41. Maybe the fastest I've ever completed a standard seed? Got lucky doing Ice Cavern instead of what would have probably been the smart move, which would be to have done fire temple (which ended up being piss easy) and gotten the kak cutscene song first, but Ice Cav had the Requiem anyway. WotH Desert Colossus was bait; I assume it was Epona's, that was needed for frogs, hinted to have hovers, which presumably led to either bombs or child projectiles, both of which I circumvented the need for with bombchus. Or maybe it was the fairy fountain, I never did that. In any case I had already hit "go mode" once I got the Mirror Shield, but I hosed up the Spirit Temple a bunch. Died twice, ran out of chus, went to Ice Cavern to get blue fire to thaw Zora for 10 more chus, then finally finished it. Had I just known how to do the crystal switch in child Spirit with chus ahead of time, instead of just winging it and getting it on the third try, I could have saved like half an hour. Also wasted two chus failing to open the rock that lets light in to the child side of Spirit, once as adult and once more when I came back as child to do the deku stick checks. Anyways I'm bad and could have easily gotten sub 3:30 if I just sucked less with chus.

edit: just realized the hovers might have been WotH for getting to volvagia; looking at the log it was that volvag had a key necessary to progress in fire temple, which had a lens at pierre (which I had seen the hint for as well). lens was woth for one of the invisible chests in spirit temple. what a convoluted-rear end troll path for a WOTH hint that can be bypassed by knowing where that chest is. I might disable lens logic in future seeds I post :mad:. Also I forgot to check frogs in the rain when i went through zora's river backwards, and that's where the main intended bombs were apparently.

Got a 3:45. Colossus WotH is for saria's song to get to forest temple since mido skip isn't in logic. Another WotH was for song of storms which led to BotW that had bombs (and hammer), which I now as I'm writing this you probably found. The wall in spirit temple is way easier to open up by throwing a bomb at one of the skulltulas on the wall than to hit them with chus

Actually looking at the spoiler log you're right that hovers were also required by logic and that surprised me. I did not get that at all from playing the game. So everything about the hints in the above paragraph seems to be wrong but it still worked

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

The wall in spirit temple is way easier to open up by throwing a bomb at one of the skulltulas on the wall than to hit them with chus

yeah that's how I usually do it, which maybe is why i sucked so hard at doing it with chus. Really makes me regret not checking frogs in the rain to save me like half an hour.

edit: to clarify my earlier post: the troll hinted WOTH path was Epona's at Colossus -> Hover boots at final frog reward -> Small key at volvagia -> climb fire temple a bunch -> Lens of Truth at fire temple Pierre -> Small key at Spirit Temple invisible chest, all of which can be bypassed if you know where that invisible chest is.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 7, 2020

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

DontMockMySmock posted:

yeah that's how I usually do it, which maybe is why i sucked so hard at doing it with chus. Really makes me regret not checking frogs in the rain to save me like half an hour.

edit: to clarify my earlier post: the troll hinted WOTH path was Epona's at Colossus -> Hover boots at final frog reward -> Small key at volvagia -> climb fire temple a bunch -> Lens of Truth at fire temple Pierre -> Small key at Spirit Temple invisible chest, all of which can be bypassed if you know where that invisible chest is.

Oh, dang, you're right I misremembered. I thought Epona's song was for GtG so I did GtG long before finding a hint telling me it was a foolish choice and at that point I'd forgotten what the WotH Colossus was about specifically. This happens when you don't take notes I guess. Yeah, that's a lovely hint. The new Lens Logic Aston talks about above seems way better because those places requiring lens isn't insane.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

Oh, dang, you're right I misremembered. I thought Epona's song was for GtG so I did GtG long before finding a hint telling me it was a foolish choice and at that point I'd forgotten what the WotH Colossus was about specifically. This happens when you don't take notes I guess. Yeah, that's a lovely hint. The new Lens Logic Aston talks about above seems way better because those places requiring lens isn't insane.

You must have done a waaay different route that I did! I got the GTG hint way earlier and Requiem was my last item to go mode (except for the extra chus I had to grab lol).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

3:16! Hot diggety! Not topping that any time soon! Especially since I'm reading these spoilers astonished to learn that y'all just don't bother with Hover Boots or Goron Tunic to deal with Volvagia apparently. I know somebody posted the trick to get to him without the Boots, but even if I was willing to break logic that hard even by the end of the game I didn't have enough hearts to beat him before the heat stroke got to me.

I actually rather liked the hint logic because I figured out what was going on right away by just digging into the next room at Fire Temple to see if I had enough keys to go upstairs. Once I realized that I didn't, I knew that the Lens was low priority logic and that I shouldn't be messing around with invisible checks if I idn't at least have the Hover Boots first. I'm also not really seeing how that's a troll path. If Hover Boots are required to finish Fire Temple and you need a song at the Desert Colossus to get the Hover Boots, isn't that a Way of the Hero hint on its own without needing to trail down to the Small Key at the Invisible Chest in the Spirit Temple?

I think I got lucky on routing. After Kakariko had both the Bow and the Hookshot I gambled on skipping Dante to go get the lava song which got me Forest Temple access. The joke was on me, since I forgot that temple requires a strength upgrade, as usual. But by then I had enough hints that I had a really strong idea where to look. I was convinced Mirror Shield would take forever, but got lucky that one of the bean checks that never seems to pan out for me actually went great this time. I would have done it even faster if I'd used a Bombchu to check that spot ahead of time. But last time I tried to do that I wasted a bunch of Bombchus trying to blow up that stupid crate and I was hesitant to do that when Way of the Hero Dodongo's Cavern was right in front of me and I had enough Bombchus to clear the whole thing minus the boss.

Anyway, question regarding the next seed I post. Would people be more interested in a gimmick seed with deliberately weird item placements that you're warned about ahead of time? Or a difficulty seed- not difficulty as in logically difficult, but easier to die? Trying to power through Forest Temple with three hearts at first and eventually finishing it with just five and no bottles gave me a massive competency rush, to the point I think it might have improved my routing.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

3:16! Hot diggety! Not topping that any time soon! Especially since I'm reading these spoilers astonished to learn that y'all just don't bother with Hover Boots or Goron Tunic to deal with Volvagia apparently. I know somebody posted the trick to get to him without the Boots, but even if I was willing to break logic that hard even by the end of the game I didn't have enough hearts to beat him before the heat stroke got to me.

I think I got lucky on routing. After Kakariko had both the Bow and the Hookshot I gambled on skipping Dante to go get the lava song which got me Forest Temple access. The joke was on me, since I forgot that temple requires a strength upgrade, as usual. But by then I had enough hints that I had a really strong idea where to look. I was convinced Mirror Shield would take forever, but got lucky that one of the bean checks that never seems to pan out for me actually went great this time. I would have done it even faster if I'd used a Bombchu to check that spot ahead of time. But last time I tried to do that I wasted a bunch of Bombchus trying to blow up that stupid crate and I was hesitant to do that when Way of the Hero Dodongo's Cavern was right in front of me and I had enough Bombchus to clear the whole thing minus the boss.

I found red tunic! And wallets so I could've bought one if I hadn't. And I got to volvagia using a megaflip since I don't know the trick jump

You can also see through the bean crate in the graveyard just by rolling into the wall and pressing C Up at the first possible frame to check it early, you don't need chu's for that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you post a weird seed, post a normal seed alongside it, imo. That's what we did the last time the thread was active and it worked well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
re: Volvagia chat

Doing the speed kill perfectly with bombs requires six hearts worth of timer. loving up and getting a two-cycle because one of the bombs missed is something like 8 hearts. If you just straight up don't have bombs at all it's more like 15 hearts.

However, all of these can be cheesed with fairies--if you die to the timer and have a fairy in a bottle, your timer will get reset when you come back.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

cheetah7071 posted:

re: Volvagia chat

Doing the speed kill perfectly with bombs requires six hearts worth of timer. loving up and getting a two-cycle because one of the bombs missed is something like 8 hearts. If you just straight up don't have bombs at all it's more like 15 hearts.

However, all of these can be cheesed with fairies--if you die to the timer and have a fairy in a bottle, your timer will get reset when you come back.

Also worth noting is that there are two fairies just outside the bossdoor.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I'm doin' another seed:

Seed: hackedtoomuchtime
Settings String: AJAPGBAESZQAA2EAATCAYD2D4DJELEYEAFAAASF3AFAASVEWAC
Milk, Slingshot, Slingshot, Skulltula Token, Large Magic Refill

Standard goon settings except:
  • Start as Adult
  • Closed Door of Time
  • Shuffle Ocarinas
  • Shuffle Songs with Items

Oh no, you've hacked too much time and now you're stuck in the future! To get back, you're gonna have to find the Fairy Ocarina and the Song of Time in order to reopen the Door of Time, and they could be anywhere in the adult world. I don't think I've ever done a proper start-as-adult seed before; thought it might be a fun way to shake stuff up. I'm about an hour and a half in and it's pretty cool so far.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

I'm doin' another seed:

Seed: hackedtoomuchtime
Settings String: AJAPGBAESZQAA2EAATCAYD2D4DJELEYEAFAAASF3AFAASVEWAC
Milk, Slingshot, Slingshot, Skulltula Token, Large Magic Refill

Standard goon settings except:
  • Start as Adult
  • Closed Door of Time
  • Shuffle Ocarinas
  • Shuffle Songs with Items

Oh no, you've hacked too much time and now you're stuck in the future! To get back, you're gonna have to find the Fairy Ocarina and the Song of Time in order to reopen the Door of Time, and they could be anywhere in the adult world. I don't think I've ever done a proper start-as-adult seed before; thought it might be a fun way to shake stuff up. I'm about an hour and a half in and it's pretty cool so far.

Finished in 3:51. Pretty good time for me! It was a fun seed and I don't think I made any major mistakes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I had to give up at the two hour mark because there was clearly some stupid thing I could do in logic that I just wasn't seeing. Turns out it was, the Longshot can be used in lieu of Magic Beans to get the Graveyard treasure, a situation I don't think I'd ever seen before because you usually start as child Link and there's almost never a situation where you're going to get the Longshot before you get either Bombs or a Scale. To add insult to injury, I did try to check this treasure having just been informed via this thread that it was possible to do so, only to conclude it was a Deku Stick because I could only figure out how to look at the bottom half. Agh!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

I had to give up at the two hour mark because there was clearly some stupid thing I could do in logic that I just wasn't seeing. Turns out it was, the Longshot can be used in lieu of Magic Beans to get the Graveyard treasure, a situation I don't think I'd ever seen before because you usually start as child Link and there's almost never a situation where you're going to get the Longshot before you get either Bombs or a Scale. To add insult to injury, I did try to check this treasure having just been informed via this thread that it was possible to do so, only to conclude it was a Deku Stick because I could only figure out how to look at the bottom half. Agh!

At least now you'll never forget!

I got a 3:46 despite some bad decisions and just a general lack of planning ahead so I'm pretty happy with that. It was interesting to start as adult.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Some Guy TT posted:

There's also an out-of-logic trick to get this with the boomerang which isn't too hard to learn. It's pretty niche because you need to both have the rang and have the item be useful, but it can at least save you a trip to the river and back or sometimes let you circumvent getting scale or bombs entirely.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Hah, that was one of the last items I got because I, too, forgot you could do it with Longshot. I think it was the last item for go mode for me, actually; bombs were early and I found Song of Time at around the two hour mark, so I was able to just get it with beans. I really gotta learn the see-through-walls trick, coulda saved me a few minutes of looking for the hammer.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hey it's been awhile since we had a new seed.

(Gold Scale, Deku Stick, Fish, Fish, Master Sword)
https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=576416

Standard goon settings, except that Skull Mask is swapped out for Horse Archery.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Guy TT posted:

Skull Mask is swapped out for Horse Archery.
Aaaaand not interested.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I like Horse Archery, don't let the thread bring you down Some Guy TT! You're not alone

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

Hey it's been awhile since we had a new seed.

(Gold Scale, Deku Stick, Fish, Fish, Master Sword)
https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=576416

Standard goon settings, except that Skull Mask is swapped out for Horse Archery.

3:15 on this over two days and no notes and with tv shows on the other screen (so not full focus), so I'm really happy with that! Although I did skip one of the logic requirements with a old goon rules banned trick hoverslide to skip longshot in Water Temple so keep that in mind if you're gonna play.

RE: Horseback Archery MKII not at all necessary

You also don't start with a deku shield but with the 99 rupees that didn't feel like a huge change. Fun seed!

Looking at the log I noticed that longshot required all songs so I actually skipped two whole dungeons (already did Deku before checking medallions) with that hoverslide. Happy I did that. Spent quite a lot of time finding the Mirror Shield before I remembered a WotH hint I read yesterday and hadn't checked which got me slingshot which led me to the slingshot game.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well, that exact same seed took me five and a half hours. So I'm concluding that the trick you used is actually very cool and good, the difference between a fun seed and an obnoxiously tedious one. It should not be banned, and I am definitely learning how to do it in the very likely event that situation comes up again. It's ridiculous how the Longshot does very little mechanically speaking but all too often turns the endgame into a horrible slog because the only check that always requires it is usually a Medallion.

Even before then the seed wasn't going great but eh. I bamboozled myself so hard trying to figure out where the Bomb Bag was so I could get back into logic that I completely failed to notice that I had Song of Storms access. Which did get me to the Bomb Bag, but absolutely nothing else, leading me to finally reluctantly conclude that yeah this was probably an all dungeons seed. I was convinced Horseback Archery 1500 was going to have Longshot just to taunt me but nope, just regular old Horseback Archery 1000. Mind, I still would have preferred trying Horseback Archery 1500 to having to full-clear Gerudo Training Grounds, which would have been the more logical place to look.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

Well, that exact same seed took me five and a half hours. So I'm concluding that the trick you used is actually very cool and good, the difference between a fun seed and an obnoxiously tedious one. It should not be banned, and I am definitely learning how to do it in the very likely event that situation comes up again. It's ridiculous how the Longshot does very little mechanically speaking but all too often turns the endgame into a horrible slog because the only check that always requires it is usually a Medallion.

Even before then the seed wasn't going great but eh. I bamboozled myself so hard trying to figure out where the Bomb Bag was so I could get back into logic that I completely failed to notice that I had Song of Storms access. Which did get me to the Bomb Bag, but absolutely nothing else, leading me to finally reluctantly conclude that yeah this was probably an all dungeons seed. I was convinced Horseback Archery 1500 was going to have Longshot just to taunt me but nope, just regular old Horseback Archery 1000. Mind, I still would have preferred trying Horseback Archery 1500 to having to full-clear Gerudo Training Grounds, which would have been the more logical place to look.

The trick is super simple but kind of finicky in execution. It's nowhere near the difficulty of a bomb superslide or a megaflip. I'd say it's about the same as the basement skip jump.

You crouch stab the wall (preferably with the hammer but a sword works in a pinch, it's just harder) and pause buffer until the first frame where Link starts going backwards, then equip hover boots and you'll just recoil slide most of the way over. You have to start running towards the camera about halfway across the water, but this isn't very precise with the hammer (more precise with the sword since there's less recoil). It might take a few tries but it's one of those things that if you fail you just do it again and it's still better than an eternal search for the loving longshot.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

New seed. Triforce Hunt, with all locations in logic. Apparently Bombchu Bowling Alley does items in a set order now? Mainly just curious to see what that might look like in practice.

(Magic Beans, Saw, Compass, Hover Boots, Heart)
https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=582352

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Vanilla bombchu bowling has three reward--a bomb bag upgrade, a piece of heart, and bombchus. The first two are one-time and I think get replaced by rupees after you win them. The bombchus are a repeatable reward, and thus are not randomized. In vanilla, the three items appear in a random order. In rando, the two randomized items always appear first.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Some Guy TT posted:

New seed. Triforce Hunt, with all locations in logic. Apparently Bombchu Bowling Alley does items in a set order now? Mainly just curious to see what that might look like in practice.

(Magic Beans, Saw, Compass, Hover Boots, Heart)
https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=582352

Got a 3:41:11 on this. Shame there were hints telling you very early on that chu bowling was out. Also, drat, that was a late as hell bomb bag!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If anyone doesn't know, the trick to bombchu bowling is that you can align with the invisible wall with Z and then let a bombchu explode in your hands to get a consistent angle. From there you can mess around to learn what positioning makes that angle work

There's fancier speedrun strats but I don't know them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

4:15 for me. What a bewilderingly awful seed. The ridiculous part is none of it had anything to do with my weird settings! Horse Archery and 40 Skulltullas had triforce pieces but that on its own wouldn't be so bad. The real problem appeared to be that most of the triforce pieces were locked in the Shadow Temple which was only accessible past the very end of logic. I cleared the seed in Ice Cave on my way to get the Nocture of Shadow, which was locked behind Ruto's Letter, which was locked behind Bombs, which were locked behind child Spirit Temple, which was locked behind Morpha I think? I don't even remember where I got the Slingshot.

The great irony of that Bomb Bag is that I could have gotten it with Bombchus earlier but I ended up using them for other things. If I had used them for Spirit Temple at that time I can't imagine I would have ever realized that was actually the required Bomb Bag.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Oh wow, that's different from how I did it.

I never entered Shadow Temple or adult Spirit (never found silver gauntlets). Never went to ice cavern and moving king zora was the next thing I was planning to do when I instead found the last tri-force piece. I just got a bunch of straggler pieces from all over the world.

I considered using hookshot jumping to enter Shadow and probably would have done so soon enough but with bombs being so late it never seemed like the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Made a new seed
Changes from our old standard rules:

Zora's Fountain always open
Chu's are considered in logic
Shopsanity 4 items
Small keys keysanity (but not boss keys)
Dungeon entrences randomized
Mask of truth out, Horseback 1500 in (I also really like it)

Logic settings: Fewer tunic requirements, hidden grottos without stone of agony, child deadhand without kokiri sword, Man on Roof without Hookshot

https://ootrandomizer.com/seed/get?id=584895
Hookshot, Mirror Shield, Chicken, Magic, Frog

Edit: 4:32 in and this seed loving sucks. I must have missed something obvious but so far No bow, no hover boots and no hammer which are all required to beat the drat thing. I just cheated my way through shadow temple with megaflips and clipping through walls but bow and hammer are still hard required. I'm guessing one of them is in Ice Cavern but guess what: no loving bottle either! I also think one of them is behind horse archery but can't do that without the bow. Taking a break for now but I'll be back because this seed will not beat me!

I also keep forgetting which entrance leads to which temple but that's just me being dumb when I should take notes and instead watch something on my other monitor.

Edit 2: Final time 5:42. Would have been a lot faster if I'd realized the milk for sale in the Market came with a bottle at 195 rupees. That would've let me do ice cavern way earlier where the bow was but for some reason I thought it was just milk for a bottle

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 5, 2020