Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is better, Mario or Sonic?
MARIO
SONIC
Shut up you fool, Link owns all
View Results

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Man, I hope they make a good 2D Mario again...
Just forget about New series and take inspiration from early games without ripping them off. Odyssey and 3D World had some weird poo poo, and if we ever get a 2D Mario, I hope it's as surprising as 3 or World was at the time.
I'm ok with New games, but holy hell they just exist to remind you of better games. At least do weird poo poo with the map, for gently caress's sake! Mario 3 had a genius overworld map that did so many things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The worst thing about the New games was that they were playable, and so you would keep playing them, but at the end there's nothing memorable. Other games leave you with fun memories but NSMB just leaves a black hole of truly wasted time

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Shibawanko posted:

The worst thing about the New games was that they were playable, and so you would keep playing them, but at the end there's nothing memorable. Other games leave you with fun memories but NSMB just leaves a black hole of truly wasted time

There was that one Van Gogh level and....hmmm.

In fairness, I really enjoyed NSMB on the DS back in the day, and as a £30 semi-budget portable title the NSMB games are perfectly fine, but as a premium game they really have one good games worth of content spread out over 4.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Super Mario 3D World was really well done, though. Like, take the good stuff from 1, 2 and 3 and throw it all into a 3D game and there it is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It really does feel like we’re at that point where Mario should be doing other video game genres and with different takes on him again like Camelot’s smug hero who’d stub his brother’s toe for winning a tennis match, Paper Mario, the insanity of Strikers).

The problem is, however, that whoever at Nintendo who has say in that is determined to hold the Mr. Video button down for as long as they can to the point where it’s destroying sub franchises like M&L (though trying to draw as much blood out of the not so much dead as skeletol 3DS did not help there) and Paper Mario.

Hell. Sonic’s problem, inasmuch as Sega can’t go two games without making another attempt to reinvent the wheel and Sonic’s character, is almost the exact opposite.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 25, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ken Penders drives Sonic's external media score so far into the negative it will never truly recover.

seiferguy posted:

I think what really tips Mario over for me is the spin off games. You had Yoshi games, Mario Kart, Party, Golf, baseball, strikers, and a few other forgettable ones. Sonic had... racing, pinball, and... mean bean machine (which was just puyo puyo anyway)?

The Mario analogue to Mean Bean Machine was Tetris Attack (Panel de Pon).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

super sweet best pal posted:

Ken Penders drives Sonic's external media score so far into the negative it will never truly recover.

I noticed you wrote Sonic here. Did you mean Knuckles? I will assume you meant Knuckles. Hey everyone, let's talk about Knuckles. I have so many Knuckles to show you.:shepface:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dell_Zincht posted:

Okay goons, it's time to settle this age old debate once and for all:

Who is better, Mario :mario: :shroom: or Sonic? :sanix:

Gotta ask the expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_o2u-R4Gs

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Decided to try a 2D Sonic game and bought Sonic Mania. I like it! The graphics are good, music's great, but level design is still weird to me. Like, there are secret areas that lead to Chaos Emeralds, but sometimes you can't even ontrol yourself, so exploration is a big issue. Also shooting enemies can gently caress off. Crabs and Bees (?) from Green Hill really like to shoot from off-screen. I think it's mainly frustrating because even though I barely die, losing like 150 rings seems like a catastrophe.

Also holy poo poo 3rd boss

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I would rather play sonic than Mario. 2D especially.

I’ve played through the genesis Sonics and sonic mania multiple times each over the years but have never finished a single Mario game outside of odyssey and 3D land

3D Sonics are bad though. If you look on YouTube you can find hour long videos of people defending the adventure games which boil down to “I enjoy this game so everything about it is perfect here are some token bad things so I don’t appear biased but they don’t matter anyway”

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mario

like the Genesis as a whole, Sonic was all sizzle and no steak

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Reading this thread what's clear is that Sonic fans are by far the vocal minority. They really feel the need to defend their guy, while Mario fans politely wait in the corner knowing that they're right.

I love 2D Mario games, I'm not crazy about the 3D ones, but they're good. I played Sonic Adventure 2 a lot, tried some of their other outings after that, they all sucked, and I never quite got the first games.

SMB3 is the perfect game, followed by Yoshi's Island, which I'm counting as a Mario game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mario is chill while Sonic is dope.

Basically Sonic for me is on the other end of the spectrum from relaxing, where Mario resides.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
For me, 2D Sonic is more enjoyable and deep than 2d Mario, but 2d and 3d Mario are superior to 3D Sonic. Mainly because of cringy 3d Sonic storylines, character bloat, and wonky camera/character movement.

I find Mario polished but bland and samey and couldn't finish New Super Mario Bros because I felt I had played that game to death already, something that didn't happen with the superb Sonic Mania.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Did all that 90s Cool Xtreme Attitude Sonic stuff carry over for the Japanese market (at least in the pre-Sonic Adventure days) or was that mostly a western marketing thing? Because the box art for Sonic games in Japan seem more like he's just this cute cartoon character that rolls into a ball.

Not quite to the same extent, mostly because they didn't have all the cartoons and comics that really cemented the attitude in the west, but the idea was always for Sonic to be a free-wheeling and sort of selfish character in the Goku vein, and part of the reason they rebooted the design with Adventure was because they saw the character's image slipping into cutesy Sanrio territory and they wanted to pull it back to where they thought it ought to be.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
what would happen if u put sonic's red shoes on mario's magic jumping plumber feet?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sonic's main problem is that it's like most everything else Sega made at the time, style over substance. Mario rewarded you for exploring and stuff, there was very little Sonic required other than jumping and moving right.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Parachute posted:

what would happen if u put sonic's red shoes on mario's magic jumping plumber feet?

His time would run out in 100 seconds

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Sonic's main problem is that it's like most everything else Sega made at the time, style over substance. Mario rewarded you for exploring and stuff, there was very little Sonic required other than jumping and moving right.

Literally the opposite of true, at least in 2D Sonics and 2D Marios. Mario had power ups hidden in blocks sometimes, Sonic had entire paths that took you around a big area. Mario didn't really do any of that, SMB3 was almost all levels that went either horizontally or vertically, with little deviation. Sonic zones would take you up and down on your path to the goal.

Also, Sonic 2 made you want to explore to find more signposts while you had 50 rings, so you could enter special stages. Sonic 3 and Knuckles made you want to explore to find giant rings to enter special stages. In both cases, finding a way into and completing those stages provided you with an overpowered unlockable form. Mario's biggest prize was more lives.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario's biggest prizes for exploration were unlocking new levels, new routes on the overworld, hidden/hard-to-get items, etc.

Beating them is one thing but simply finding special stages in classic Sonic games is trivial, they frontload the early zones with them and make them really hard to miss.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mario's biggest prizes for exploration were unlocking new levels, new routes on the overworld, hidden/hard-to-get items, etc.

Granted, I did somehow forget about the Star Road and Special Zone and stuff in Super Mario World, yeah. Please forgive me, I somehow completely loving blanked on major stuff like that and Warp Zones. I have failed.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also, Sonic 2 made you want to explore to find more signposts while you had 50 rings, so you could enter special stages. Sonic 3 and Knuckles made you want to explore to find giant rings to enter special stages. In both cases, finding a way into and completing those stages provided you with an overpowered unlockable form. Mario's biggest prize was more lives.

Sonic 1-3 make me want to intentionally avoid the special stages. I am not good at them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

rujasu posted:

Sonic 1-3 make me want to intentionally avoid the special stages. I am not good at them.

Playing the Sonic 2 special stages on mobile is a hell of an thing, let me tell you. On the plus side if you "restart" during a special stage you restart the special stage at the cost of a life. Good to do when you know you won't reach that ring total.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I recall playing one of the Sonic games. I think my uncle got it and the Genesis for either my brother or I. I never got very far though. I always died in that city level with the pink water. To my child brain it felt like the whole raison d'être of the gameplay was hold right and go fast. The screen blurred by without much interaction on my part.

I never played a Mario game (excluding Mario Kart 64) until New Super Mario Bros. I've actually spent the last week catching up and playing Super Mario Bros, The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, and currently Super Mario 3D Land. The quality progression from SMB to SMW is very clear. I'm less impressed by SM64 and SMO, but I guess I just prefer the 2D to 3D games.

So Mario wins here by default for me since I can barely recall Sonic's game.

ConanThe3rd posted:

It really does feel like we’re at that point where Mario should be doing other video game genres and with different takes on him again like Camelot’s smug hero who’d stub his brother’s toe for winning a tennis match, Paper Mario, the insanity of Strikers).

The problem is, however, that whoever at Nintendo who has say in that is determined to hold the Mr. Video button down for as long as they can to the point where it’s destroying sub franchises like M&L (though trying to draw as much blood out of the not so much dead as skeletol 3DS did not help there) and Paper Mario.

Hell. Sonic’s problem, inasmuch as Sega can’t go two games without making another attempt to reinvent the wheel and Sonic’s character, is almost the exact opposite.

I believe that's the preference of Shigeru Miyamoto. He didn't even like the Rosalina storybook in Super Mario Galaxy and vetoed the team's story plans in the sequel. Which is why it's even more bare bones than usual.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Sonic is more interesting because the series and all its media varies so wildly in quality. The worst Mario games are just serviceable and boring. Still, there's the Super Mario Bros movie...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Beating them is one thing but simply finding special stages in classic Sonic games is trivial, they frontload the early zones with them and make them really hard to miss.

Yeah, it's possible to get all the Chaos Emeralds as early as Aquatic Ruin Zone Act 1 in Sonic 2 if you know what you're doing.

Bizarrely though being Super Sonic can actually make some of the levels more difficult. Especially Wing Fortress Zone with its annoying timed platforming sections.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yeah, it's possible to get all the Chaos Emeralds as early as Aquatic Ruin Zone Act 1 in Sonic 2 if you know what you're doing.

Bizarrely though being Super Sonic can actually make some of the levels more difficult. Especially Wing Fortress Zone with its annoying timed platforming sections.

Earlier than that. I think you can get them all in Emerald Hill if you pick the right routes, or Chemical Plant at a minimum.

The single most irritating video game design decision of the entire 1990s was the Super Sonic music. That poo poo was punishing.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Do new Sonic games still make you play as fifteen rear end in a top hat side characters who aren’t Sonic, or did Sega finally give up on that idea?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kevyn posted:

Do new Sonic games still make you play as fifteen rear end in a top hat side characters who aren’t Sonic, or did Sega finally give up on that idea?

Forces only has Modern Sonic/"Classic Sonic"/your OC

and I guess Shadow in the free DLC stages. Lost World and Colours were just Sonic, Generations was just Modern/Classic.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pastamania posted:

Earlier than that. I think you can get them all in Emerald Hill if you pick the right routes, or Chemical Plant at a minimum.

The single most irritating video game design decision of the entire 1990s was the Super Sonic music. That poo poo was punishing.

I just looked it up and sure enough there's 8 checkpoint posts in Emerald Hill Zone alone. gently caress trying to do that, though!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Unleashed had the werehog, which was them finding a loophole to add an annoying alternate character after they said they wouldn't - you have daytime stages, which are more or less what you'd want or expect from a Sonic game in 3D, and then you have nighttime stages where Sonic turns into a werewolf with stretchy limbs and you play through mediocre God of War stages that account for at least two thirds of the game's runtime.

Generations has Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic - Modern Sonic plays like the daytime Unleashed stages, Classic Sonic is 2.5D that superficially resembles the Genesis play style. People have their issues with Classic Sonic not actually feeling like a classic Sonic game but it's a valid concept and perfectly playable.

Forces has Modern, Classic and the create-a-character who's basically just another Sonic variant.

Sonic Mania launched with the classic Sonic/Tails/Knuckles trio, and later added two obscure lovely friends called Mighty and Ray, but more playable characters in the context of the Genesis-style games is perfectly fine.

Generations is nearly a decade old, gently caress. Sega might have slowed their output but the Sonic games haven't improved all that much.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I just looked it up and sure enough there's 8 checkpoint posts in Emerald Hill Zone alone. gently caress trying to do that, though!

The trick from back in the day was to get an emerald at the first post, reset and repeat until you had them all - the game would remember which emeralds you had after a soft-reset, so you could grind them out at the beginning if you wanted to be lame.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 18, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

generations was a drat great game, except for the boss fights and planet wisp. also the final boss of that game is completely baffling in every way.

i was so shocked when i played and really liked generations that i initially super overrated it, saying it was on par with mario galaxy. in retrospect, it's definitely not lmao.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Shouldn’t a “werehog” be a human who turns into a hedgehog?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I guess Sonic is cooler but if we’re just talking game quality it’s Mario hands down.

Lol Remember that one kid who’d enter the debate and say Crash?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Kevyn posted:

Shouldn’t a “werehog” be a human who turns into a hedgehog?

That game was alright when it was sonic levels but the werehog bits were so poo poo they turned me off the entire game

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Chrs posted:

I guess Sonic is cooler but if we’re just talking game quality it’s Mario hands down.

Lol Remember that one kid who’d enter the debate and say Crash?

For a few years in the 90s there were 4 really great games that would support that argument.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kazvall posted:

For a few years in the 90s there were 4 really great games that would support that argument.

let's be real, the crash games were pretty good but they were not even remotely close to mario 64 in either quality or especially, especially influence

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I wonder what a Sonic game on the PlayStation would have looked like...

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Crash may have been the best 3d platformer at the time - Mario 64 was also good but it was a whole different type of game. Problem with Crash is there were a couple of good Crash games, and then the series didn't go anywhere after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I can only really answer this as far as the 8/16-bit side of things goes, because I ended up with a PlayStation after that and I don't regret a drat thing about it.

Anyway, uh, Mario wins.

Being a kid at the time, any game with "2 Players!" on the box anywhere was a big deal and let's face it, Sonic was complete and utter dogshit at anything where two players was possible, which was a rare thing for him in those days anyway, which meant that if anything to do with Sonic was "game of the day", you had no loving mates for the duration. You either had some crappy race mode where someone got so far ahead that the loser would invariably just hit the reset button to spite them/save time, or you got stuck playing as Tails, and nobody wanted to be Tails back then, because you'd play for about five loving seconds before the BLUE BLUR hosed off and left you to suffocate somewhere off-screen for several minutes while he had all the fun, then just as you lazily hover back into view OH WAIT HE'S GONE AGAIN LATER FUCKO SEE YOU AT THE FINISH POST.

And don't even get me started on the Special Stages on Sonic 2. There were fights because of that poo poo.

Edit:
Meanwhile, slap in Super Mario World/Super Mario Bros. 3, and everyone is happy.