Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every time I get a new device I start up a playthrough of final fantasy 7. I always put all three discs on there too even though I know I'm going to get bored and quit once I'm out of Midgar

Welp, it's been fun, time for you to go in the drawer with the powkiddy v90, nintendo switch, hacked 3ds, and psp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

All Genesis Sonics + Sonic CD
Great graphics, incredible soundtrack, chill/relaxing gameplay with a good mix of speed, platforming and exploration. Perfect for killing an hour or two.

Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2 / Trials of Mana / Whatever The Official Title Is Now
Great graphics, incredible soundtrack, chill/relaxing gameplay with a fun class system that adds a ton of replay value without getting too complicated. Secret of Mana is also good, but I never really revisit it while this one gets booted up every 3-4 years or so on a phone emulator.

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal
No explanation needed, I think if you grew up in the 90s these are on your list.

Skyrim
It counts at this point, right? Honorable mention to modded Morrowind.

IMO FF7 hasn't held up at all. I've tried replaying it a couple times and never make it past ~10 hours before getting bored out of my mind.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

All Genesis Sonics + Sonic CD
Great graphics, incredible soundtrack, chill/relaxing gameplay with a good mix of speed, platforming and exploration. Perfect for killing an hour or two.

Yeah, I wonder why...

Joke aside, and as great as it is, I do think S3&K drags on for just that little bit too long overall. Not necessarily for the number of different zones; that poo poo's cool and something which S3 or S&K alone each sorely lack. But some of the individual levels themselves are mind-bogglingly large for what they are. But hey, that's why save files exist :buddy:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CD music is great (when it works) but it can't do iMuse, and iMuse worked really well in Monkeys Island.

E: it isn't even used in TSOMI gently caress me. False memories and all that I guess.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

iMuse didn't sound good to me until I heard it with MT-32.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

All this talk of imuse makes me think i should go play fate of Atlantis again.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Robotron 2084 is the perfect twin-stick shooter and I play it at least once a year. It relies on fast reflexes yet you have to have a strategy in mind. That split-second where you see the layout of the next level is all you get to formulate a way through your enemies. I am still looking for a better representative of this genre but I doubt anything will top it (Geometry Wars 2 comes close though).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Faxanadu, NES

I still have my original NES from the 80s and every time I drag it out, Faxanadu is on the list. I don’t know why this game turns my crank so much. Maybe it’s the setting, maybe it’s the music, maybe it’s the sense of actual scale and navigation the map creates. It’s certainly not the stiff movement and dialog.

I dunno, it’s just great, one of my all time favorites. Probably time to run through it again.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Back on to Streets of Rage II.

I can't possibly imagine why!

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
Max Payne just has one of the most satisfying gameplay loops ever. Nothing feels better than launching yourself down a flight of stairs at a group of enemies and just mowing them down.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!
it's super Basic I know but every year or two I get a hankering to play through Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Low difficulty, nice animations, atmospheric music and art... it's less like playing a game and more like visiting an old playground I grew up with. Super comfy, lots of stuff to see and do - or I can just speed through both castles and clear it whenever I want.

I also occasionally get a hankering to walk around the early stages of Doom. Thank god it runs everywhere.

I used to go back and do playthroughs of Star Ocean 2 using dumb crafting tricks to speed through the game - but I've kind of fallen off that in recent years. It still has it's charm but a lot of it's flaws make it painful to revisit - notably the event scenes are all unskippable and text speed is dynamic so it can't be sped up. It takes hours just to push through the tutorial sections.

Haro_Wonderful
Feb 24, 2005

In the middle of a thread Haro forgot to post!
Pork Pro
Mega Man 2 if I am bored and short on time. Legacy of the Wizard if I really want to get nostalgic, which I'll probably end up playing Rad Racer 2 by the end of it.

For story I end up on Disgaea 3 or Final Fantasy 4 DS more times than I care to admit.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I tend to go back to Dragonfire quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERK2_cyKkKQ

Game has just the right amount of chaos, randomness, and strategy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PuttyKnife posted:

I tend to go back to Dragonfire quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERK2_cyKkKQ

Game has just the right amount of chaos, randomness, and strategy.

I like how much more work went into the commercial than the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
Every couple of years or so I like to wander around in the completed Myst game I have saved.