Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Super Mario World, Link’s Awakening, Super Metroid, and Symphony of the Night are the ones I like to bust out when I just want to chill. In the last couple of years I’ve added in a couple more CV games, Bloodlines and Rondo of Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Mega Man Legends 2. I love everything about it. The music, the story, the atmospheres, the voices.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Max Coveri posted:

Mega Man Legends 2. I love everything about it. The music, the story, the atmospheres, the voices.

I actually clicked on this to say the Mega Man Legends games and Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. Those two legendary game series I always want to go back to.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins. Fun music, fun gameplay, and I first played it after winning a baseball-related bet with my mom & spending the money at KB. :corsair:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Super Mario 2: 6 Golden Coins. Fun music, fun gameplay, and I first played it after winning a baseball-related bet with my mom & spending the money at KB. :corsair:

KB Tooooys. :corsair:

That's where I bought my first video game system with money from my own job, without preplanning. Just because I had enough, and I wanted it. Can't even remember what I was at the mall for in the first place, but on the way out I saw they had a "Buy a Gamecube, get two games free" sale. Preset games to choose from. Left with the GC, Luigi's Mansion, and Chibi-Robo as my free games, and nabbed Wind Waker as well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
If my favorite game is decided by what I have found myself unable to resist going back and replaying, then either S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or Baldur's Gate (both as a series, not any single title) must be that. I replayed Wasteland more than any other game by a longshot, but I was also a pre-teen when that started and I have not made it through a full playthrough since like 1999 so I do not think that still counts.

Also have to acknowledge that I have played through
more than a few times.

StoryTime posted:

Planescape: Torment. I first played it while I was still young and impressionable, and it was basically existential philosophy 101 to me. I think playing that game as a young adult actually changed me as a human being. I became way more self-conscious because of the experience.
"What can change the nature of a man?" was definitely a more influential question for me to ponder than anything I was explicitly told was a deep philosophical concept.

I said come in! posted:

That is okay! I know someone who's first ever video game was Destiny.
I knew the world had truly changed when two attractive college ladies were making fun of me for having never played Halo or Gears of War when they asked which I preferred.

RangerKarl posted:

It's nasi lemak as a video game for me.
Thank you for linking Fallout 2 to a cultural learning experience for me

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

I'll always go back to Super Mario Brothers 2. It was one of the first games I ever remember playing growing up, so I've got a lot of positive memories associated with it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Mega Man X and Super Punch-Out!!
I just fell in love with them and I usually play them once a year.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I play through RE4 and Luigi's Mansion just about every fall. They're just too good.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zelda 2

the platforming is surprisingly competent for an NES game, and if you know what you're doing then you can get through the game real quick with all stats at level 8 without needing to really grind for more than a few minutes in the first dungeon or two

it's also fun to try low level challenges. one time i used a game genie to eliminate all exp gain and finished it with all stats at level 1 but reaching and beating the final palace was a remarkably long and painful experience so i'm never doing that poo poo again

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's been a while since I've replayed a game but I still keep a gamecube around for Windwaker. Sure the dungeons are weak but that combat system! I always beat all the floors of the labyrinth everytime I play because I just love the fluidity of Link's attacks in that game. Hell I used to wish that Ocarina's combat flowed like it instead of being so stiff in comparison. It also was the first game I seriously played on the first console my parents let me get too so there's that nostalgia. And since it was my first Zelda game I had no issue with the art style and was disappointed when I discovered that the Links from other games did not have nearly the expressiveness and personality of Windwaker Link. That little angry/determined face with the skull hammer out :3:.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Banjo-Kazooie and Luigi's Mansion are my go-to games. Despite the fact that I know both of those games like the back of my hand there's just something about going through them and collecting everything that's just so innately satisfying. I actually think I enjoy games like these a lot more after I've beaten thrm and know where everything is

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RangerKarl posted:

Fallout 2. I almost always end up playing a modified version of Per Jorner's sniper character too. It's nasi lemak as a video game for me. (or I guess mac and cheese for a more accessible comfort food metaphor)

I basically play through the first four "real" Fallout games back-to-back every year. There isn't much I haven't seen in all of them so I try to make it interesting by actually role-playing as much as I can without dying stupid deaths (with different types of characters every time, of course).

And I seem to keep coming back to Dragon Wars which is kind of stupid as there's very little challenge after beating it once; your characters' stats and magic carry over to new games. Yes you can start with fresh characters but I can't kill Muskels, Theb, Elendil, and Cheetah after so many years. (It's the only game of this sort where I don't run with my own characters because it was my first and since I had no idea what I was doing, I played with the stock party.)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dash Rendar posted:

what the gently caress.

is this masochism??

Yeah I never quite get the appeal of the first Lufia game. All the dungeons look the same, the battle system is annoyingly slow and frustrating, and grinding is a slog.

Now, Lufia 2 on the other hand is :kiss:

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010
Wow. My game to always go back to is Actraiser. Trying to figure out a good Challenge run for this time around. I haven’t played any snes games for a long time and I got my 2ds working in a new way so this is a great thread to look for gems that I’ve missed.

Talen_Soti fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 1, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lufia 1 has character interaction that I think is far ahead of the time. The MC and Lufia bicker like immature teenagers a lot, and it's a small detail that I really liked. Similarly with Jerin and Lufia, while Aguro mostly plays the straight man in the group. They seem to be better developed in a lot of ways to even later games. There's a love story that's central to the entire game which really got to me for some reason. The music also hooked me, minus a few egregious tracks. Completely subjective, but I think it's one of the strongest soundtracks of the SNES. And while it's still a linear JRPG from the 90s, the quests aren't entirely formulaic. The battle system is clunky and the dungeons pretty ugly, but I really like the winding non-linear layout of them. Those last two factors are a big negative to a lot of people, but I liked the exploration and quest design. The 3 gem towers was great and to me it made sense every step of the way, but I know people bounced hard off of it. Similarly a lot of the quests pop into place if you remember a small detail from earlier you can backtrack to. Some quests were just bad though, like getting Alluminum. And the final boss fight was dumb as all hell, with Jerin being the MVP and only character that mattered.

I'll compare with Lufia 2, which is also a good game. I found the characters a little one-note. Maxim was the hero, Tia was the ignored friend, Dekar was Dekar, etc. I liked the characters, but they felt a bit flat. Outside of a few tracks I didn't get into the music as much. Again subjective, but still a good soundtrack. The battle system was a bit better, but I found it a bit off in different ways. The relationship between Maxim and Selen was there, echoing the MC and Lufia in 1, but it felt forced.

There were a couple things I didn't really like about 2. It was more formulaic, even for the time. Go until a mountain range / river / tower got in the way. Solve the incidental problem to get the key. Continue until the next mountain range / river / tower. It felt completely procedural to me, and I consumed JRPGs as a teenager. Also, Gades was like half of the bosses you fought. Like, I get it. He was the first boss in Lufia 1, and you fought him a couple times before the end. But as much as the sinistral theme kicked rear end, enough was enough. Battles were completely turn based, which is a sin, compared to Lufia 1 where your speed and weight stats can give a character more turns than others. I don't remember it being as buff dependant as Lufia 1, which is one of the only SNES games I can remember where buffs mattered, and I find that a point in 1's favour. I found 2 a bit easy, and a lot of bosses could be one-rounded with AP abilities.

That said, the Ancient Cave is the best loving roguelike ever made. The non-random encounters were great, and while I'm not a fan of literal puzzles being slapped into the middle of dungeons, I enjoyed them and they were quite well done.

Not trying to change any minds, but there are reasons for my terrible opinions.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Might and Magic 6. That game never loses its charm for me. It's so comforting to play. Like soul food on the computer.

You don't have enough goooold!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Once again Shinobi III drags me into a full run with its ninja charm. The usual "just one more" is ruined by the fact that each round has a segment you simply can't resist replaying once you realise it's coming up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Lufia 1 has character interaction that I think is far ahead of the time. The MC and Lufia bicker like immature teenagers a lot, and it's a small detail that I really liked. Similarly with Jerin and Lufia, while Aguro mostly plays the straight man in the group. They seem to be better developed in a lot of ways to even later games. There's a love story that's central to the entire game which really got to me for some reason. The music also hooked me, minus a few egregious tracks. Completely subjective, but I think it's one of the strongest soundtracks of the SNES. And while it's still a linear JRPG from the 90s, the quests aren't entirely formulaic. The battle system is clunky and the dungeons pretty ugly, but I really like the winding non-linear layout of them. Those last two factors are a big negative to a lot of people, but I liked the exploration and quest design. The 3 gem towers was great and to me it made sense every step of the way, but I know people bounced hard off of it. Similarly a lot of the quests pop into place if you remember a small detail from earlier you can backtrack to. Some quests were just bad though, like getting Alluminum. And the final boss fight was dumb as all hell, with Jerin being the MVP and only character that mattered.

I'll compare with Lufia 2, which is also a good game. I found the characters a little one-note. Maxim was the hero, Tia was the ignored friend, Dekar was Dekar, etc. I liked the characters, but they felt a bit flat. Outside of a few tracks I didn't get into the music as much. Again subjective, but still a good soundtrack. The battle system was a bit better, but I found it a bit off in different ways. The relationship between Maxim and Selen was there, echoing the MC and Lufia in 1, but it felt forced.

There were a couple things I didn't really like about 2. It was more formulaic, even for the time. Go until a mountain range / river / tower got in the way. Solve the incidental problem to get the key. Continue until the next mountain range / river / tower. It felt completely procedural to me, and I consumed JRPGs as a teenager. Also, Gades was like half of the bosses you fought. Like, I get it. He was the first boss in Lufia 1, and you fought him a couple times before the end. But as much as the sinistral theme kicked rear end, enough was enough. Battles were completely turn based, which is a sin, compared to Lufia 1 where your speed and weight stats can give a character more turns than others. I don't remember it being as buff dependant as Lufia 1, which is one of the only SNES games I can remember where buffs mattered, and I find that a point in 1's favour. I found 2 a bit easy, and a lot of bosses could be one-rounded with AP abilities.

That said, the Ancient Cave is the best loving roguelike ever made. The non-random encounters were great, and while I'm not a fan of literal puzzles being slapped into the middle of dungeons, I enjoyed them and they were quite well done.

Not trying to change any minds, but there are reasons for my terrible opinions.

Lufia 2 would be a better game than FF6 if it had had a better story and characters. Everything you do in that game feels like a bog standard anime episode, but other than that it's so well made and fun to play, but it's kinda dumb how every girl character is in love with the hero. I love the puzzles, it must have taken a lot of effort to make a specific puzzle, sometimes with unique graphics, for just one room in the game. I thought the bosses were also really good, you fight 4 of the fuckers in a row at the end and then you still have the egg dragon and the ancient cave boss.

I never got through Lufia 1 so maybe I should give it a go again, the story does seem much better.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Lufia 1 is aggressively generic in such a way that is particularly soulcrushing. the tiny moments of better than generic might lull you into a false sense of something better being around the corner... but no such things exists. it's more of the same. over and over. to say that Lufia 1 is a game that overstays its welcome is an understatement.

it's a competent game, to be sure. but there are so many other games that are superior that outside of nostalgia or a masochistic sense of completionism, i could never recommend it. It doesnt quite reach TECMOs Secret of the Stars but it comes close. EDIT: particular because Lufia 1 is a long game. suuuuuper long. it's a helliva commitment for a mediocre game.

that said, Orks and Ostriches talks about Lufia 1 the way i talk about Shadows of the Empire. game recognizes game. i respect having terrible opinions about mediocre games.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Might and Magic 6. That game never loses its charm for me. It's so comforting to play. Like soul food on the computer.

You don't have enough goooold!

This is close but I think I like 7 more for being an overall more uniform and polished experience. Since all of the graphics and portraits are the same instead of the live action portraits clashing with the rest. Need to do an all monk run this year maybe.

Rot in hell you penny pinching miser.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Another game I always come back to is Rayman 2 on PC, in my opinion still one of the finest 3D platformers ever made. I love the art direction and gameplay of that game to this day. As a kid I was obsessed with it and even put up with the awful keyboard control scheme.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The poker game in Lufia 2 was surprisingly good and taught me how to play poker

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Super Mario 64. Its a goddamn masterpiece of interesting environments and excellent controls to navigate them with. It's also the game that introduced me to speedrunning back in '05-'06, before youtube, when I heard through the grapevine about Mips Clip and BLJs and soon learned to beat the game in under half an hour (using the now very outdated 16-star route). I boot up my n64 at least once a year and spend a few hours getting 120 stars, and maybe do a 16-star run for old times' sake, which I can still do in about 35 minutes or so.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I just finished playing through this again; was a melee character who what trying to figure out if the plasma gun served any purpose. (Short answer no, long answer it is alright if you've invested in heavy guns but unlike the other two guns in the category it's not insanely useful in context, and it never gets overpowered like certain other weapons, like the dragon's tooth ripping through doors, or the silenced sniper rifle exploding cameras and killing everything in one shot.) The game still held up as I was exploring basically eveything I usually don't pick; the central hook of the game's flexibility holds up amazingly well, as I was consciously avoiding guns (dum) and using demolitions and melee instead. Turns out with lots in demolitions you can one-shot gunther hermann with a LAM! Also that skill that lets you use gear better is great; it allows you to combine or get abilities in an alternate way.

One game I always go back to is an infinity engine game - Icewind Dale 2. It's the odd one out, as it uses the 3.5 DnD system, and it's really unpolished in sections, especially that part where you have to go through those monk chambers and figure out what the hell you are supposed to do, or the reversing time level. But on the other hand, all the classes are well balanced*, you have an absolute poo poo ton of combat with about as many tactical possibilities as any of these games ever had, and once you finish the adventure, you can turn on the heart of fury mode and really play with all the high level powers that you are just unlocking, with the number and power of monsters really turned up to 11. With the DnD system you can also turn and think up different parties and characters, try new things just to see if they work.

And it has other things, too. The opening in Targos sets the scene so strongly you wonder what could have been done if the production had not been so rushed. The VA is just lovely, and Inon Zur was fresh off doing the music from the Baldur's Gate Finale, and while most places actually lack music, when it shows up, it is always an event. In particular, in the last third of the game has Zur do rearrangements of two previous Jeremy Soule tracks from the last game. One is Kuldahar, which (long story) was an oasis of living green nature in the arctic mountains, and makes it as lush, as lovely, and slightly eerie as the town, mostly empty and besieged by enemies, has become. Another track is at the game's final location, the Shattered Hand. In Icewind Dale, it was a haunted and mostly ruined elven fortress, and Soule's track for it is an echo of what was. In Icewind Dale 2, the fortress has been restored by the bad guys and their nation, the Legion of the Chimera. Zur takes Soule's echo, and restores it to center stage front. The Shattered Hand is back - but is terrible to behold, a nightmare.

I don't know, maybe the reason why I play it every year or two is because it's kind of a Genre picture: I know what it is and what it does, and it does these things well, and when my brain needs a break and wants to be a party fighting monsters, it's right there, with all the stuff I've learned from previous playthroughs, ready to give me that break.

*Rangers are sorta not worth it, every party should have a pure-class barbarian, pure thieves are sort of a waste but c'mon son, dual class that poo poo

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 5, 2019

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I play through Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena on the PS1 every couple of years. I am to this day amazed they fit so much poo poo on one disc. Dryst is my main murderous clown, sorry Kefka and Joker.

If you're a fan of tactical games and never tried it, hunt it down

Edit: I've 100% cleared Yoshi's Island at least a dozen times in my life and I will probably do it a dozen more before I die

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 5, 2019

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Star Man posted:

Mega Man 8

Come at me, fools, because I am being totally sincere.

I would have but I've now seen enough MM8 speedruns that I have concluded that the entire world was doing it wrong and the Mega Ball is the second greatest weapon in all of Classic Mega after the unstoppable glory of the Metal Blade.

My perennials are the NES Mega Man games (mainly 2 and 3), Zelda 1 and 2, and a wacky shmup named Zanac from the guys that went on to be famous for Puyo Puyo.

I've still got a working Atari 2600 too, and it still sees some use for Yars' Revenge, River Raid, and Solaris.

Despite having grown up with the PC and the C64, though, basically nothing from either really makes my "dig this up and replay it" list. There's stuff I obsessed over at the time or shortly after, and that I then replayed once and thought "wow, that was really good"—Tie Fighter and Crusader No Remorse both make that list—but there haven't been regular revisits the way there were with the 8-bits.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Auf Wiedersehen Monty on the C64, because i've never completed it. Trying my best not to use a map, either.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Fallout 2, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Rocket Knight Adventures

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Legend of Dragoon. My PS2 crapped itself a long tine ago so I have to emulate now, bit I must have gone through it twenty times.

From pages back, but My Man!

LoD was great. The addition system is still my favorite turn based combat style.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

If we're talking about playing through something in one sitting, then Streets of Rage 2 and The Revenge of Shinobi inevitably get played when I have an hour of nothing going on and I'm just not in the mood to start something like Doom or Resident Evil (two more games which see more playtime than is probably healthy). Reasonably short and straightforward action with classic music.

Hell, yes. I go back once a year or so to Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy Tactics when I have the urge and a long weekend in which to indulge it, but when I just have an hour or two to kill, it's going to be Streets of Rage 2. I love beat 'em ups in general, but none of the others ever got the pace, balance, music, etc. quite so right.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ultima Underworld, Stygian Abyss if I had to choose one. Blew my mind back in the day when all I had for 3D was Wolf3D and Doom and flight simulators. Blew my mind again years later when I learned how advanced it was for its time, both on the graphic/programming side and the quality-of-life side - intuitive interface with nesting containers? automap with notes? crafting? all that in a 3D RPG? In loving 1992? It was pretty much :aaaaa:: The Game.

Tyrian. Great feel, Alexander Brandon is my favorite game musician ever (I had another :aaaaa: moment when I realized he did music for Unreal Tournament and Age of Wonders and Deus Ex which I loved independently), shop that lets you rebuy half your poo poo every second mission so you can casually gently caress around with your gear. It's the comfy feel-good shooter for me (the uncomfy feel-good shooter is Quake 3). And yes, I played the hell out of Jets'n'Guns and loved it to bits, but it didn't capture my heart.

Age of Wonders. Awesome music, awesome art, sure it has glaring faults but I still love it to bits.

Beyond Good & Evil (not that retro, but eh). For comfy factor, the aesthetics that come together oh so well, and how the game ends right before it'd start to overstay its welcome.

UFO: Enemy Unknown. For obvious reasons also huge nostalgia (the intro bit with alarm sounding and X-Com soldiers picking up guns running is still a very :black101: moment for me).

Draconus. Specifically, the Atari version. The music (Adam Gilmore is another from my top 3 ever), the visuals, the "having my mind blown when I played it as a 4-year-old", and I blame my love of metroidvanias on this game. And yes, I could fire up an emulator and waste an unreasonable amount of time on this right now.

goons posted:

Deus Ex
Welp, poo poo. Guess it's time for my legally-mandated reinstall again...

Haha, tricked you! I didn't uninstall after the last time!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah Ultima Underworld was pretty darn ahead of the time. Is there any fan-remaster of Deus Ex that's any good?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Pierzak posted:

Tyrian. Great feel, Alexander Brandon is my favorite game musician ever (I had another :aaaaa: moment when I realized he did music for Unreal Tournament and Age of Wonders and Deus Ex which I loved independently), shop that lets you rebuy half your poo poo every second mission so you can casually gently caress around with your gear. It's the comfy feel-good shooter for me (the uncomfy feel-good shooter is Quake 3). And yes, I played the hell out of Jets'n'Guns and loved it to bits, but it didn't capture my heart.

I had the pleasure of working with Alex Brandon during my time with Obsidian. His design doc for Storm of Zehir was the reason I created the Singing Caverns in the first place.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

His design doc for Storm of Zehir was the reason I created the Singing Caverns in the first place.
Do tell. I only know him from his music.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
He always seemed insufferably pretentious in the 1990s (and considering I am much younger and still got that impression, that is saying something) when we hung out in the same channels on IRC. I will never forget when he released a "music set" inspired by Peter Gabriel's "Passion of the Christ" score that was just...not...good. BUT! Even though I wanted to dislike him, he always seemed like a genuinely nice dude too, so I did not lump him in with the few lovely people in the Demoscene.

And then Deus Ex happened and I was like "O.K. well drat Siren, go on with your bad self"

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Charles posted:

Yeah Ultima Underworld was pretty darn ahead of the time. Is there any fan-remaster of Deus Ex that's any good?

Theres some excellent mods for Deus Ex that range from simply balancing perks and upgrades to being a bit more Deus Ex+. Biomod and shifter come to mind.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
FYI Deus Ex is on sale for next to nothing on GOG today: https://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Pierzak posted:

Do tell. I only know him from his music.

I will say that Dr Quarex and I very likely know the same person, with regards to the description. Lol

But at the same time, the design doc on SoZ spoke of his desire for a sound puzzle. He was thinking “Thief” and I went “Mountain King”, and thus the Singing Caverns were born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've gone back to Dark Queen of Krynn a few times over the years. Most of it is nostalgia, but I do like the combination of an overworld to explore plus the really long, elaborate dungeons to get bloodied and bruised in. The Luminari Lighthouse and the catacombs under Kristophan are some of my favorite dungeons in any game, I still remember many of the encounters in those. I think I always played it on the second easiest difficulty since I didn't and still don't know anything about D&D rules, and that was relatively forgiving. You could get away with mostly flinging Delayed Blast Fireball at everyone. It still gets hairy towards the end, though, with a specific sequence of three battles in the gnome palace coming to mind as particularly gruesome, which forced me to actually properly prepare and then spend some time re-casting Resist Fire and other poo poo between battles.

The phrase "Aurak Draconian rises in a new form" is forever etched into my brain because of this game. loving Auraks. :argh:

Of the three Krynn games I only ever played DQoK and some day I'd really like to play through all of them, carrying my party over. That's definitely on my gaming To Do list.