Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
The entire Diablo series, original Starcraft, and Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES. Also old 2d fighters like Street Fighter 2 are still fun to play. I was so happy when the original Diablo went up on GOG so it finally made it easy to play on modern systems. No games play close to Diablo or Diablo II. I love everything about them from the instruction books, music, and it is one of the few games I always enjoyed listening to the NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

ToxicToast posted:

The entire Diablo series, original Starcraft, and Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES. Also old 2d fighters like Street Fighter 2 are still fun to play. I was so happy when the original Diablo went up on GOG so it finally made it easy to play on modern systems. No games play close to Diablo or Diablo II. I love everything about them from the instruction books, music, and it is one of the few games I always enjoyed listening to the NPCs.

The Tchernobog mod for Diablo adds all sorts of wondrous stuff but holy loving hell does the difficulty go right up: https://mod.diablo.noktis.pl/download

ZIO
Jan 7, 2020
I always go back to A Link to the Past. I love the game. I know it's dated, but I can't seem to NOT ever enjoy it. I love the game to bits.

I've been contemplating trying to mix it up and play the randomizer that seems to be popular. That or speedrun it. I haven't gone forward with trying either, yet.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ZIO posted:

I always go back to A Link to the Past. I love the game. I know it's dated, but I can't seem to NOT ever enjoy it. I love the game to bits.

I've been contemplating trying to mix it up and play the randomizer that seems to be popular. That or speedrun it. I haven't gone forward with trying either, yet.

Randomizers are super fun; for anyone that has a favorite Zelda, Metroid, or similar type game, I highly recommend checking out the corresponding randomizer.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Turtles in time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've been playing the remastered Baldur's Gate 2. It's very good at pacing itself so there's several (but not **too** many) things going on. I also now realize that it understands its players very well, and is good at using that knowledge to throw interesting plot developments the player's way. For example, there's a quest that starts when one of your player characters gets a nasty curse thrown on them, but this curse happens when you walk into a inn that is positioned perfectly to be a rest stop after a long day of adventuring.

I still don't have my party quite sorted. There are two characters I've never had in my party, but jaheria keep guilting me when I try to kick her out

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I left Jaheira and Minsc in the opening dungeon, which was the easiest way to deal with the guilt trips. Plus they are still available in Throne of Bhaal so clearly they do not die down there, win/win

It does help to create your own party if you are going to do that, though, which I do not remember being an option in the non-enhanced version but I imagine it might have been (beyond a one-player multiplayer game anyway)

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

This thread is full of recs I treasure

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

You could create your own party, but it was a slight bit of work as you were essentially playing a multiplater mode single player. The Enhanced edition adds options to do this painlessly.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
If there is one retro game I come back to time and time again it's X-COM UFO Defense. With openxcom fixing most of it's bugs I absolutely love to play it and stream it for my friends. It thinks of so much poo poo that the modern XCOM games don't for some reason like skill training, fatal wounds, and even dumb poo poo like smoke inhalation. I also love that it lets you build a loadout from the ground up, you can run a dude in with just a pistol and a sack of grenades if you want to, you can run all rocketeers if you want and still wreck shop (no Exercise Restraint either, unless you literally grenade the poo poo while its on the ground). I love this game so much and I hope XCOM 3 gives you as much freedom this game gives you with it's map destruction and base building.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Pretty much anything from the SNES. Earthbound, Zelda LTTP, F-Zero, and Super Metroid in particular. I will never forget the day I got an SNES for my birthday and then a bunch of games for it on christmas. Still one of my favorite game consoles of all time.

For computer games it's classic FPS games like Doom, Quake, Duke3D, and Unreal Tournament. I pretty much install UT '99 and UT2004 on every new computer I acquire. Perfect wait for poo poo to download on my slow rear end internet games. I also replay Fallout New Vegas alot as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Heather Papps posted:

Turtles in time.

I really liked the art style of this game. It was a very fun co-op title.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I really liked the art style of this game. It was a very fun co-op title.

It's a good, fun beat-em-up, and it gets a huge nostalgia boost because, more than any game I can think of, it absolutely feels like you are playing an episode of the cartoon. It looks like the show, it sounds like the show, and it's simple, stupid fun like the show.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AppleDan posted:

If there is one retro game I come back to time and time again it's X-COM UFO Defense. With openxcom fixing most of it's bugs I absolutely love to play it and stream it for my friends. It thinks of so much poo poo that the modern XCOM games don't for some reason like skill training, fatal wounds, and even dumb poo poo like smoke inhalation. I also love that it lets you build a loadout from the ground up, you can run a dude in with just a pistol and a sack of grenades if you want to, you can run all rocketeers if you want and still wreck shop (no Exercise Restraint either, unless you literally grenade the poo poo while its on the ground). I love this game so much and I hope XCOM 3 gives you as much freedom this game gives you with it's map destruction and base building.
I replayed the PS1 version on an emulator just last week, and even on the lowest difficulty, the very first mission saw half my team brutally murdered by aliens. Thaaaaaat's X-COM!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Payndz posted:

I replayed the PS1 version on an emulator just last week, and even on the lowest difficulty, the very first mission saw half my team brutally murdered by aliens. Thaaaaaat's X-COM!

How is the PS1 version, by the way?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

I was just remembering on a 486 how long it took to save scum. You had to abandon the mission, which takes a while to go back to Geoscape, then reload which took forever.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Every once in awhile I fire up Heroes of Might & Magic 3. I consider it timeless at this point considering how many polish people still play this thing and how Ubisoft can't make a better HOMM than 3DO/New World Computing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TheHoosier posted:

How is the PS1 version, by the way?
A bit clunky if played with a controller, but it works okay once you get the hang of it. (I couldn't get the mouse option to work on my emulator.)

Looking forward to doing some proper save scumming - IIRC, it used an entire memory card to save one game!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Payndz posted:

IIRC, it used an entire memory card to save one game!
Only during battles. A geoscape save took a mere 1 block I think.
And yeah, it was pretty comfy with a mouse.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Payndz posted:

A bit clunky if played with a controller, but it works okay once you get the hang of it. (I couldn't get the mouse option to work on my emulator.)

Looking forward to doing some proper save scumming - IIRC, it used an entire memory card to save one game!

There was a mouse for PlayStation released in Japan only. :retrogames: and all but I may eventually pick it up since the list of compatible games is actually decent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Only during battles. A geoscape save took a mere 1 block I think.
And yeah, it was pretty comfy with a mouse.

i bought a new PS mouse for like 10€ years and years ago and I don't have a single game that supports it :(

(I mean I'm not going to buy an X-Com or C&C game for the PS as I'm having enough fun playing them on a PC already. What else is there anyway? Discworld?)

e: It wasn't Japan-only and there were/are 3rd-party ones anyway.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

There was a mouse for PlayStation released in Japan only. :retrogames:
Wrong. I have a box with a PAL Transport Tycoon and a mouse sitting right next to me.

(Note: PSX Transport Tycoon is poo poo)

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Pierzak posted:

Wrong. I have a box with a PAL Transport Tycoon and a mouse sitting right next to me.

My mistake, bad info.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Every once in awhile I fire up Heroes of Might & Magic 3. I consider it timeless at this point considering how many polish people still play this thing and how Ubisoft can't make a better HOMM than 3DO/New World Computing.

i just reinstalled this!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kirby Super Star. It should be impossible for any game to be as much fun as this thing, I loving love it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are all Kirby games so... easy? (At least in the beginning boards.) I think I've played two a bit and was surprised because I found myself having FUN with a Japanese side-scrolling action adventure computer video game, which just felt wrong somehow.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Generally speaking they are pretty easy, but in a good way (i.e. they're not mind-numbingly easy to the point of being boring). They're just stupidly relaxing to have fun with.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Kirby golf played against your brother is a high level competitive sport

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I always took Kirby games to be balanced difficulty wise towards the idea of never having a powerup even though you'd normally not play that way.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kirby games tend to be easy to beat but are harder to 100%. getting all the treasure in Great Cave Offensive for example

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, if you played C&C on PS1 and didn't use a PS1 mouse.....what the gently caress?

I believe there was an edition of the game released that actually came with a mouse, too.

(if there wasn't then, well there should have been.)

Fistmaker
Mar 8, 2019
I always end up going back to SaGa Frontier. I've been playing it off and on forever. I've beaten all of the characters at some point in my life, but never all of them on the same save data. It's a mess of a game, and at best it's mostly finished (it was rushed out the door and some content was cut...) but it really gives you a ton of freedom. Every time I play it I still find new stuff I never noticed. I just started playing it again this last week. Thank god for shaders in RetroArch. It looks great with the right set up. It's a shame that most of the SaGa games that came later didn't have the same feel as Frontier did. Romancing SaGa wasn't that bad all considered though.

Shortly behind this was PS1 Diablo.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
SaGa Frontier was a cool drat game and it had an amazing soundtrack. The whole thing just oozed style as well. Part of the charm for me was just how so weird / unfinished a lot of it was, which gave it a unique atmosphere.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Same. I loved the hell out of SaGa Frontier 1 and 2.

Fistmaker
Mar 8, 2019
You know, SaGa Frontier 2 didn't "stick" for me. I dunno. I haven't gone back to it since it came out.

"Part of the charm for me was just how so weird / unfinished a lot of it was"

Yeah, it was part of it for sure. I love how odd it is. Nothing is really explained all that well, and you can just get straight wiped out if you aren't paying attention.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Does Resident Evil 4 count as retro? Cause that's one I go back to once every couple of years, or once it gets a new port to the latest and greatest system, same with REmake.

Other than that its probably Super Mario World.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, if you played C&C on PS1 and didn't use a PS1 mouse.....what the gently caress?

I believe there was an edition of the game released that actually came with a mouse, too.

(if there wasn't then, well there should have been.)
I can't speak much for C&C:TD because going through that without any saving -- meaning every goddamned loving mission was a one-shot deal -- was a deal-breaker by about Mission 6 for both GDI and Nod campaigns so I just stopped playing it altogether on console, but I found the controller scheme (and reworked sidebar) for C&C:RA on the PlayStation to be a pretty good setup, all things considered. Having a Skirmish mode (and Link Game option!) also really helped that game retain such a level of replayability for dumb kid me so I could still get my Armchair General fix when the PC was being used by someone else. I don't think I even went near the actual missions after a month. It was just Skirmishes and Link Games.

gently caress, now I wanna go play C&C:RA.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Does Resident Evil 4 count as retro?
It definitely does if you're playing the GCN or PS2 versions!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Star Control 2 is it for me; it's easily my favorite game of all time.

It's now available as open source freeware under the title "The Ur-Quan Masters" and has been ported to a ton of different OSes. I highly recommend checking it out!

http://sc2.sourceforge.net

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

...! posted:

Star Control 2 is it for me; it's easily my favorite game of all time.

It's now available as open source freeware under the title "The Ur-Quan Masters" and has been ported to a ton of different OSes. I highly recommend checking it out!

http://sc2.sourceforge.net

I would like to add that what you probably want is the Ur-Quan Masters Megamod (http://megamod.serosis.net/Releases)

It's the same thing as above, but comes with a bunch of sweet additional install options to let you tailor the experience how you like.

Those options include a couple of (optional) voiceover mods (for the Syreen and Melnorme) that restore dialogue that was in the PC version but went missing from the normal Ur-Quan Masters release - dialogue that contains actual vital information that in one case you don't get anywhere else in-game and without which the game can only be finished either with random exploration or a guide.

Full disclosure: I produced the voice mods, and recorded my own voice for the Melnorme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWt2wj7pFU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

I did, either plain C&C or Red Alert. It wasn't that bad, it had helpful shortcuts and everything. It still wasn't something you'd prefer to use if you had a mouse on hand.