Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Sonic 1-3 + CD

Warzone 2100, clunky early 3D game but extremely interesting in the army building and base development.

Motherfucking Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, best game I've ever played. I played that game every month for six years straight and all missions were burned in my brain.

Worms Armageddon. Still the best Worms game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I still want a Worms game with, like, actual good AI that uses fun items in creative ways.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Soul Reaver posted:

Master of Magic remains my favorite Master of Magic clone.

:hfive:
MoM is installed on every computer I own. It helps that it runs on basically any hardware.

Also, I frequently replay wing commander: privateer. It's as close as I'll ever get to the jpeg selling pyramid scheme game of my dreams.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
Quake, and Painkiller (now that PK is over 15 years old I suppose it counts, right?)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

weed cat posted:

Quake, and Painkiller (now that PK is over 15 years old I suppose it counts, right?)

Painkiller definitely counts and is up there for me too. I love Painkiller (there's a gun that fires shuriken and lightning, what's not to love)

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

If you were able to buy the game at a CompUSA it qualifies as retro.

I already responded in the thread, but I was thinking about how I always go back to the original Sonic the Hedgehog every year or 2 to try and beat it for real, then always give up part of the way through.

Last time I think I gave up on the Robotnik boss where you're chasing him as the level filled up with water. Then I watched a speedrun and realized you just need to make your way through the passage and then the actual fight starts. I was so concerned with killing him in the first section I never thought about just chasing him.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

FanaticalMilk posted:

Last time I think I gave up on the Robotnik boss where you're chasing him as the level filled up with water. Then I watched a speedrun and realized you just need to make your way through the passage and then the actual fight starts. I was so concerned with killing him in the first section I never thought about just chasing him.

Oh god that loving boss :gonk:

My last revisit to Sonic 1 I actually cleared it without getting my feet wet and I'm still smug about it years later. I haven't replayed it since and it might be because I don't want to tarnish the memory of finally crushing the sequence flat.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Going through Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. Still a good game after all these years, even if the sprites and hitbox sizes don't match up all the time. Also dabbling with some Super Mario Advance 2 simply because it lets you play as Luigi (complete with floaty SMB2-style jumps), instead of what is literally just a green Mario.

FanaticalMilk posted:

If you were able to buy the game at a CompUSA it qualifies as retro.

I already responded in the thread, but I was thinking about how I always go back to the original Sonic the Hedgehog every year or 2 to try and beat it for real, then always give up part of the way through.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Oh god that loving boss :gonk:

My last revisit to Sonic 1 I actually cleared it without getting my feet wet and I'm still smug about it years later. I haven't replayed it since and it might be because I don't want to tarnish the memory of finally crushing the sequence flat.
Labyrinth Zone :allears:

That boss is a POS though, if it can even be called a boss.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
River City Ransom, it's stood alone as my favorite game for basically my entire life.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zerilan posted:

River City Ransom, it's stood alone as my favorite game for basically my entire life.

I can understand that

"they are clowns, but they are very strong"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zerilan posted:

BARF!

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Dodonpachi will always be near and dear to me. Favourite shmup since 1995. That scoring system is so addictive.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
System Shock. I love the world, the feel of the environments, the weird physics, the soundtrack, I'm even one of those freaks that plays with the original '94 controls AND I like the cyberspace sections. It's remained insanely engrossing and fun to me for 20 years now. It's just perfectly paced and I know it so well that playing casually I can beat it in about 2 hours and 45 minutes, so it's like sitting back and rewatching a nonexistent cyberpunk Die Hard. :allears:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

System Shock. I love the world, the feel of the environments, the weird physics, the soundtrack, I'm even one of those freaks that plays with the original '94 controls AND I like the cyberspace sections. It's remained insanely engrossing and fun to me for 20 years now. It's just perfectly paced and I know it so well that playing casually I can beat it in about 2 hours and 45 minutes, so it's like sitting back and rewatching a nonexistent cyberpunk Die Hard. :allears:
Oh hell yes. This is also one of the few PC games I not only got a physical copy of, but I also got it for a better deal at the place I bought it from then if I were to have just ordered it online (this was back in like 2011/2012). Even with owning the game on GOG, I'll still put in my CD and go through the old DOSBox routine just to keep giving it some use.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I really hope that that System Shock remake actually gets released. Even back in the day, the controls kept me from getting into the game. I really want to play a version with good controls; SS2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Since then I've had to make do with spiritual sequels like Dead Space and Prey. Both are excellent games (Prey became another one of my favorite games; I need to play it again soon.) but it's just not the same.

Dead Hippie Ghost
Jun 23, 2015

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

...! posted:

I really hope that that System Shock remake actually gets released. Even back in the day, the controls kept me from getting into the game. I really want to play a version with good controls; SS2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Since then I've had to make do with spiritual sequels like Dead Space and Prey. Both are excellent games (Prey became another one of my favorite games; I need to play it again soon.) but it's just not the same.

You think dead space is a spiritual sequel? Maybe to ss2 and dos doom both

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

...! posted:

Please tell me you've played Deus Ex. If you haven't you should, it's probably THE spiritual successor to System Shock 2.

Also BioShock.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there a sound card on which the System Shock music tracks don't sound so darn goofy?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm always drawn back to old RTS stuff, by which I mean C&C:TD, C&C:RA and AoE II. By far and away co-op is more enjoyable to me, because you can just fool around and try stupid poo poo freely while getting more and more drunk as the night goes on, and battles last more than 10 minutes.

Sadly TD doesn't have a true skirmish mode, and the AI is pretty easy to exploit in multiplayer (always targeting the northernmost enemy units) meaning that even a "No Bases" match turns into a game of simply slapping a few of our own infantry into a north corner and arranging our tanks into a corridor setup, then just obliterating the dumb AI units as they slowly approach in what is almost a single-file formation. Oh well. At least there are several hundred custom SP missions to screw around with.

Red Alert is my go-to when it comes to RTS. It's fast, it's brutal, and it's loving addictive. The AI is incredibly basic but can (and will) overwhelm by sheer weight of numbers if the mapsize and ingame resources allow it, thanks to just throwing out units from each individual production structure (which human players can't do; we just get some piddling build speed bonus per additional structure). I've never been a fan (in fact I outright hate) the online PvP meta/rules where it's just some lovely infinite money map and uncapped build speed, so it's usually me and a couple of mates against 5 AI with the Aftermath ruleset. For a game approaching it's 25th anniversary, the AI with these settings can still put up quite a fight on the larger maps (or at least it can until it does something monumentally loving stupid with the base building logic and boxes itself in).

If anyone here feels like seeing what the fuss is about (or just wants some nostalgia), then both games are free to download here along with CnCNet to play online.

As for AoE II, I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty loving terrible at this but then I've always played comp-stomps with equally-terrible buddies, and the sad truth is that unlike RA we've actually managed to get even worse as time's moved on; the addition of a treaty period in AoE II HD (and by extension the recently-released Definitive Edition) has caused us all to get laughably complacent and lazy in the early game, because there's no immediate threat to our lovely villages.

On the other hand, it has also allowed for some magnificent fights once everything actually kicks off and everyone has ~200 military units, all going at it the moment the treaty expires.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i've put so many hours into the recent AoE2 expansions. i am not big on multiplayer either but dig the campaigns. some of the new ones are pretty rough but it makes for a nice challenge trying to get through them as an unoptimal player

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In addition to many games already posted itt I still replay Master of Orion 2 occasionally

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield - ubisoft shut down the multiplayer servers, but there is still an active (but small) community. Also a very chill community, that mostly plays humans vs computer coop.
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix - it's not a great game, but it's still pretty fun and I keep playing it over and over.
Lugaru - martial arts game where you're a rabbit - if the gameplay weren't so fun I would probably not go to bat for something furries probably love.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The Mass Effect series. The suicide mission is one of the best sequences in gaming

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Julius CSAR posted:

The Mass Effect series. The suicide mission is one of the best sequences in gaming

I love the first two, even with the janky combat and byzantine inventory management of the first one. For the third one, the multiplayer was so good that I never bothered getting more than 20% into the campaign. I think I gave up on it when I ran into that Mary Sue anime ninja villain.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Filthy Hans posted:

I love the first two, even with the janky combat and byzantine inventory management of the first one. For the third one, the multiplayer was so good that I never bothered getting more than 20% into the campaign. I think I gave up on it when I ran into that Mary Sue anime ninja villain.

Yeah, I played the hell out of the multiplayer.

Last year I discovered the mod community for Mass Effect, and ended up playing through the series again....until around about when I murdered said Mary Sue anime ninja (multiplayer note: holy poo poo dude, you were a vanguard slayer and you still suck this much?!?) , then the sheer badness of the main campaign made me quit.

The second game especially is still awesome, about the most satisfying end I've seen in a game. I also still really like the first one's exploring dynamic. Makes me wish the game had done more with properly alien environments.

e: I've been watching the new Star Treks, first Discovery and now Picard. Both have Mass Effect influences (right down to a scene at the end of Discovery where it's like the protagonist did all the character side quests and is getting the happy ending) but Picard is perhaps the more obvious and surprising one. I won't spoil it but you remember the messed up reaper warning message from the first ME? There's a plot element that uses that, right down to the same visual presentation. Picard is making much more intelligent use of it and AFAIK robot space squid are not involved, but still.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 22, 2020

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

the first Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon game has been entertaining me off and on for like, 16 years at this point. The AI is frustratingly good; they can whip around and dome you from nearly beyond the draw distance - but it's still fun. I'm excited to try a mod called Heroes Unleashed that's been one guy's labor of love for like 15 years and recently got out of beta into v 1.00

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I have a hankering to replay Streets of Rage 2, but it's on my PS3 which I gave to my sister so she could stream Netflix

goddammit

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Without fail, every year at some point I get the craving for some Tony Hawk games. I'll play 2, 3, 4 or THUG. A few weeks ago the craving hit and I had to run through THSP3 a few times as well as THUG since I haven't really replayed that one as much as the others. Dreaming of a day when we get a proper new THPS game again

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I went and played Freespace 1 + 2 again. This time I have a joystick with a giant throttle lever and feel bad rear end.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

K-Flow posted:

Without fail, every year at some point I get the craving for some Tony Hawk games. I'll play 2, 3, 4 or THUG. A few weeks ago the craving hit and I had to run through THSP3 a few times as well as THUG since I haven't really replayed that one as much as the others. Dreaming of a day when we get a proper new THPS game again

So did any of the Tony Hawk games get some sort of nod to injury?

Because when I was living with some people in university the dreamcast version made us laugh uproariously every time somebody fell 40-50 ft onto solid concrete

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Because when I was living with some people in university the dreamcast version made us laugh uproariously every time somebody fell 40-50 ft onto solid concrete

There was a simulation mode in, I wanna say the second game, where gravity works as normal and you can't do crazy tricks or combos, in fact a simple kickflip is hard enough to pull off. There was also a blood cheat/option, both of those made the game pretty realistic.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

It would be seriously cool if there was a conflation of the Tony Hawk games and Burnout 3: Takedown where one of your spectacular bails would rack up a medical bill like crash mode.

They did this in Saint’s Row, but it would’ve been awesome in the Tony Hawk series.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

It would be seriously cool if there was a conflation of the Tony Hawk games and Burnout 3: Takedown where one of your spectacular bails would rack up a medical bill like crash mode.

They did this in Saint’s Row, but it would’ve been awesome in the Tony Hawk series.

A Tony Hawk game where repeated medical bills affecting your career cash total would be a pretty interesting concept.

A bit like Road Rash where wrecking your bike would take a serious chunk of your money.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Dell_Zincht posted:

A Tony Hawk game where repeated medical bills affecting your career cash total would be a pretty interesting concept.

A bit like Road Rash where wrecking your bike would take a serious chunk of your money.

The start of the game would be pretty heckin brutal as you grind for sponsorships to pay for your insurance.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just imagining a Tony Hawk game where like 80% of failed stunts end with a Dark Souls "You Died" fade-to-black.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

Super Monkey Ball, Pocky and Rocky, Super Metroid, Super Mario 64, Panel de Pon.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I replay Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger every two years or so. I still think FF6's plot is one of the best stories video games has told -- it has its duff moments, but I've not really played anything - bar FF7 - that really captured the vibe of being a desperate resistance fighter but still had a decent air of hope and optimism. And the fakeout at the ending of the World of Balance, and the translation from following a pre-planned plot to freely wandering a ruined world and trying to get the band back together, is one of my all-time favourite moments in gaming.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Whybird posted:

I replay Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger every two years or so. I still think FF6's plot is one of the best stories video games has told -- it has its duff moments, but I've not really played anything - bar FF7 - that really captured the vibe of being a desperate resistance fighter but still had a decent air of hope and optimism. And the fakeout at the ending of the World of Balance, and the translation from following a pre-planned plot to freely wandering a ruined world and trying to get the band back together, is one of my all-time favourite moments in gaming.

Getting the airship in the WoR is probably one of the biggest turning-point moments in gaming plots. You go into the dungeon with the regular bleak end of the world music with finally a full party, but things still aren't so great. And then after the dungeon, Searching for Friends starts up and replaces the world theme, as the Falcon crests from the water and enters the sky. The first optimistic thing that happens since the world gets ruined.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i replay gta san andreas' story every year or two. i've 100%ed it twice and probably never will again, but the main story missions are packed with variety and it has the most fun map to screw around in of the whole series. it's also the last mainline gta game where the story wasn't just hours and hours of mind-numbing misanthropic bullshit about men yelling at their wives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weedle posted:

i replay gta san andreas' story every year or two. i've 100%ed it twice and probably never will again, but the main story missions are packed with variety and it has the most fun map to screw around in of the whole series. it's also the last mainline gta game where the story wasn't just hours and hours of mind-numbing misanthropic bullshit about men yelling at their wives

Reminds me of when I was playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas at a friend's place and I impressed everyone by managing to find The Most Boring Place in the game. I can't remember where it was but it was just a huge-rear end stretch of Nothing.