Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
An English translation patch for the first Sakura Wars on the Saturn just came out. Mr. Dick tried it out, it's functional on a Phoebe.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5318/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played?

The real answer is Sonic 1 because it was the pack-in game and we definitely played that first, but my answer (because it's the first one I remember) is best summarized by the game's first line.

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE

We tried to rent a Game Genie from the local Blockbuster because we were kids and bad at games, but that game wound up in the box instead. Even so, we were not disappointed.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
My first was either Sonic 1 or Taz-Mania at one of my various neighborhood babysitter's place next door. Then when I played Sonic 2 at the older kid's place across the street I asked for a Genesis for Christmas. I remember my mom asking "are you sure you don't want... [checks back of hand] ...a Super Nintendo?"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played?

it was either buck rogers countdown to doomsday or starflight

both kick rear end

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it was either buck rogers countdown to doomsday or starflight

both kick rear end

Starflight was my first as well. Best Genesis game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Starflight is one of those games I wish I played when it was new and/or I was younger. Seems like a great game, but hard for me to find the patience to play it now. I also think I heard people mention the Genesis port was the best?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit up a few swap meets and see if I can find a few Dreamcast controllers on the cheap. I've got a GD-Emu and two controllers, but haven't played much outside of the Outrun arcade port and the occasional game of Crazy Taxi. I'm hoping to introduce my girlfriend's family to Chu-Chu Rocket & Power Stone 2.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 24, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

liquid courage posted:

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit up a few swap meets and see if I can find a few Dreamcast controllers on the cheap. I've got a GD-Emu and two controllers, but haven't played much outside of the Outrun arcade port and the occasional game of Crazy Taxi. I'm hoping to introduce my girlfriend's family to Chu-Chu Rocket & Power Stone 2.

ruin your relationship in the most time-honored of methods: Virtua Tennis

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Starflight is one of those games I wish I played when it was new and/or I was younger. Seems like a great game, but hard for me to find the patience to play it now. I also think I heard people mention the Genesis port was the best?

Yes the Genesis port was absolutely the best by a lot. It's also what Star Control 2 is based on.

Just beware that there's a bug with selling fuel - it sometimes won't deduct from your stores and if you sell this phantom fuel too much, the game locks up. Personal experience, there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just getting into starting a saturn collection and it is annoying how hard it is to find:

Games for cheap
Any of the good av cables

I donteven have any saturn games yet :(

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
You picked a bad time to start collecting Saturn games :smith:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm just getting into starting a saturn collection and it is annoying how hard it is to find:

Games for cheap

Use Psuedo Saturn Kai and burn CD's - https://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/compat/

Use good CD's like CMC Pro and your life will be easier - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065DGYQ/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I bought a pseudo and it's in the way. Got a action replay also for the interim to play my imports. Can't find my existing saturn games for the life if me though which is a noying and alos means I can't flash the action replay :(

E; that said if any of you wanna sell any of your saturn games let me know :D

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Growing up was always more of a Nintendo and later Sony kid(same with basically all my friends growing up), so didn't really play any SEGA games until they started porting a bunch of them to the PS2, GameCube(Sonic Mega Collection was one of the very first games we got for this one), and original Xbox, then around 2005 to 2007(can't remember exactly when) my older brother went and bought a Dreamcast and some games(including Virtual-On and the controllers for it), though at the time I think I was most impressed at how easy it was to do emulator stuff on it

These days when it comes to retro consoles, for Nintendo stuff, outside of the N64(mostly because emulation for it is still iffy at best) I'm more or less satisfied with emulating and/or using a Flash Cart rather than bother hunting down the original stuff, however with SEGA stuff it definitely feels a lot more interesting to get the actual consoles, I think at least part of it being all the weird accessories and add-ons and console variations that exist for them when compared to Nintendo or Sony's consoles, it adds a certain physicality that isn't as present in most of SEGA's competition

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Games for cheap

Get the HD Retrovision Genesis component cable and their Saturn dongle. It's pricey but worth it and generally easy to find. I have one Genesis cable but I swap it between my Genesis/PS1/Saturn.

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/hd-retrovision-genesis-ypbpr-component-cable

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/hd-retrovision-saturn-a-v-port-adapter-sega-saturn-adapter-for-genesis-2-cable

You might have to poke around Amazon/eBay at the moment but they're likely to be back in stock before long.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Zophar posted:

You might have to poke around Amazon/eBay at the moment but they're likely to be back in stock before long.

Not in the middle of a pandemic they won't be

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Growing up was always more of a Nintendo and later Sony kid(same with basically all my friends growing up), so didn't really play any SEGA games until they started porting a bunch of them to the PS2, GameCube(Sonic Mega Collection was one of the very first games we got for this one), and original Xbox, then around 2005 to 2007(can't remember exactly when) my older brother went and bought a Dreamcast and some games(including Virtual-On and the controllers for it), though at the time I think I was most impressed at how easy it was to do emulator stuff on it

These days when it comes to retro consoles, for Nintendo stuff, outside of the N64(mostly because emulation for it is still iffy at best) I'm more or less satisfied with emulating and/or using a Flash Cart rather than bother hunting down the original stuff, however with SEGA stuff it definitely feels a lot more interesting to get the actual consoles, I think at least part of it being all the weird accessories and add-ons and console variations that exist for them when compared to Nintendo or Sony's consoles, it adds a certain physicality that isn't as present in most of SEGA's competition

As a kid, I had a snes, which I traded for a sega genesis. I regretted it, but I went all in, even purchasing a 32x after it failed and was 50 bucks. Each 32x game was on sale at the local Shopko for 10 or 15 bucks so I got to play Virtua Fighter, Doom, virtua racer, black thorne, star wars arcade on my super fast wonky looking console! (We also had to get parts specifically sent to us to even make the 32x add-on work with the genesis, it wasn't a surprise that it failed so miserably)

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I hope this content finds you well:

https://youtu.be/aPGPkZeL8Q4

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Dug out my old Dreamcast collection yesterday, found out I had this "Not For Resale Retail Demo Disk" copy of Power Stone.

Haven't really seen anything else like it on the internet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I somehow never knew anyone with a Saturn growing up. When I had a SNES, most friends had that, and I knew a couple kids with a Genesis. When I got my PS1, it was pretty evenly split between friends with that or an N64. I even knew a couple friends that later got a Dreamcast.

Literally no one had a Saturn. It was always this weird mythical thing that only existed in cheat code magazines for me

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Aardvark Barber posted:

Dug out my old Dreamcast collection yesterday, found out I had this "Not For Resale Retail Demo Disk" copy of Power Stone.

Haven't really seen anything else like it on the internet.

What's it's history / how did you come across it?I'd assume a pre release demo kiosk but thats just a guess.

Edit yep: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/d8qo8b/dreamcast_kiosk_demo_unit_with_not_for_resale/

falz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 14, 2020

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Zophar posted:

Get the HD Retrovision Genesis component cable and their Saturn dongle. It's pricey but worth it and generally easy to find. I have one Genesis cable but I swap it between my Genesis/PS1/Saturn.

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/hd-retrovision-genesis-ypbpr-component-cable

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/hd-retrovision-saturn-a-v-port-adapter-sega-saturn-adapter-for-genesis-2-cable

Is that really going to be that much better than just using an s-video cable?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Is that really going to be that much better than just using an s-video cable?

If you have a tv with svideo already, and dont want to spend a lot of money, then I'd go svideo. Yes, component will look better. I think the bigger leap is from composite to svid, though.

If you need to upscale or modify any signal into something else, then you want the best base signal as possible, so you should be using component.

So, mostly depends what you have access now in terms of a tv and what you'll be happy with. I run svideo on my genesis and have no issues with it. Although sometimes I actually prefer how some games look over composite, if they were designed for the signal in development, and the game might look too crisp, lol.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm stuck Stateside in America thanks to the pandemic at the disco and just fired up my old SMS Segascope 3D stored at the parents' house. Works perfectly. Turns out we had 3D technology way back too and it was only marginally more poo poo.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ReindeerF posted:

I'm stuck Stateside in America thanks to the pandemic at the disco and just fired up my old SMS Segascope 3D stored at the parents' house. Works perfectly. Turns out we had 3D technology way back too and it was only marginally more poo poo.

Cool!

As someone who enjoys the Master System quite a bit, I've been thinking of trying to get my hands on one of these, but from the sounds of things, they're fragile & can be a tight fit if you don't have a small head. As someone who wears glasses and has a fairly large head, should I just not even bother?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I can't speak for the with-glasses part, but I would think the fit would be okay otherwise. I don't have a gigantic head, but it's not small either, and they fit fine. They are pretty big, I just put them on over sunglasses to see and they fit, but I have no idea how that would interact with the corrective part of glasses (sorry!).

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Zophar posted:

Insurrection Cables makes a scart cable that’s only $25 but I have no idea on quality. It’s out of stock currently.

Retroaccess makes wonderful cables but I have no idea which scart cable to buy, they have too many options. Plus they have new coax option that I have no idea if I need for a us saturn, and I’m hesitant to roll the dice because I don’t want to damage my saturn / switch / tv and don’t want to get a cable that buzzes.

So basically yeah the retrovision cables are the best but holy crap are they expensive.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
For NTSC Saturns (US or JP) you want the CSYNC variants but these won't work with PAL (EU or AU) systems.

The sync-on-luma versions work with all Saturns, PAL and NTSC. EDIT: link fixed! Read Doc M's post below, very important.

Both of the above sync options are supposedly good enough to prevent issues with some videoprocessors.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 1, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I use a mix of CSYNC and sync-on-luma cables with my retro systems. CSYNC is technically the best option if your setup can handle it, but sync-on-luma is just as good in practice.

The one cable variant you should generally avoid is sync-on-composite because that is prone to causing checkerboard artifacts to show up on certain colors, as well as audio buzzing. If the cable is of high enough quality and properly shielded, it's probably not going to be disastrous but you might as well go for sync-on-luma in any case.

Storm One posted:

The sync-on-luma versions work with all Saturns, PAL and NTSC.
Just a heads up, that is a JP-21 cable you linked. The JP-21 connector looks exactly like SCART but is wired differently, and for the love of God DO NOT connect a JP-21 cable to a SCART input or vice versa because it will not work and might break your poo poo.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The URLs are confusingly named.

This is proper SCART pinout, needs a SCART to RGB-21 adaptor before plugging into an XRGB: https://retro-access.com/collections/sega-saturn/products/sega-saturn-stereo-luma-jp-21-cable-for-xrgb-units-works-on-all-models-lead-cord

This is the RGB-21 pinout version, plugs straight into the XRGB but won't work with anything SCART based, should be avoided imo: https://retro-access.com/collections/sega-saturn/products/sega-saturn-stereo-luma-sync-xrgb-jp-21-cable-for-ntsc-pal-model-saturn-lead-cord

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Huh, yeah, apparently the link in my quote did actually go to the SCART cable instead of JP-21. I just looked at the URL, saw "jp-21 cable" and immediately went "oh poo poo!" That's really confusing.

Still, probably was a good idea to explain the two were completely different things.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I've heard some stuff has compatibility issues with Sync on Luma, how true is that? I was worried when I ordered a Luma cable for something (N64) and my RetroTink 2X SCART's manual then turned out to say it only supported Sync on Composite or C-SYNC, but then the cable worked fine anyway?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've never had an issue with luma cables on my Framemeister setup. The only such problem I ever encountered was a SNES CSYNC cable that was causing a slight distortion at one of the edges of the image, but RetroGamingCables sent me a luma replacement which works beautifully.

Your experience may vary depending on your setup, obviously. Ah, the joys of analog video signals.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Why do Americans gently caress around with SCART instead of just making rca terminated RGB cables? You're already tracking down a specialty cable and plugging it into a converter, have to get specialty switchers, etc. It seems like an unnecessary complication when your really just want to tap into the right output pins.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Because RGB SCART is already prolific? Nobody makes anything with RGB RCA jacks.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Here in Europe it makes complete sense since every TV since the 90s had at least 1 RGB input, and I think even flat panels had them for a while. It's the de facto standard for consumer equipment.
The Saturn even came with a RGB cable out of the box, not the Dreamcast unfortunately, we had to buy it separately.

Did you even have RGB capable RCA inputs in any of your TVs there? Were YPbPr RCA inputs as common as RGB SCART was over here? Genuine questions, my impression is that in NA, RGB inputs were pretty much non-existent in consumer TVs and that even component video was something only higher-end sets had.

Once you're forced to gently caress around with a dead format, might as well pick the one that was actually widely used in another part of the world.

E:F;B

Storm One fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 1, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Storm One posted:

Here in Europe it makes complete sense since every TV since the 90s had at least 1 RGB input, and I think even flat panels had them for a while. It's the de facto standard for consumer equipment.
The Saturn even came with a RGB cable out of the box, not the Dreamcast unfortunately, we had to buy it separately.

Did you even have RGB capable RCA inputs in any of your TVs there? Were YPbPr RCA inputs as common as RGB SCART was over here? Genuine questions, my impression is that in NA, RGB inputs were pretty much non-existent in consumer TVs and that even component video was something only higher-end sets had.

Once you're forced to gently caress around with a dead format, might as well pick the one that was actually widely used in another part of the world.

E:F;B

Nope. Don't have SCART inputs either though, so no matter what you're going through a converter. YPbPr RCA was generally fairly available, but nobody had the cables for it at the time. Using RCA jacks you could at least use any old RCA switcher / extension / etc instead of importing SCART ones, and from what I hear SCART is a bit of a PITA as a connector. With people importing SCART cables and/or buying things like the HD retrovision cables there's clearly a market for specialty cables. Seems to me you could simplify getting an RGB setup using a connector that's available / common as dirt on your continent, given that as far as I can tell there's nothing electrically special about SCART connectors. Between inertia (inclusive of support by scalers) and the small size of the RGB community I get why, I'm just surprised that, as far as I can tell, nobody's hacked something together.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Nope. Don't have SCART inputs either though, so no matter what you're going through a converter. YPbPr RCA was generally fairly available, but nobody had the cables for it at the time. Using RCA jacks you could at least use any old RCA switcher / extension / etc instead of importing SCART ones, and from what I hear SCART is a bit of a PITA as a connector. With people importing SCART cables and/or buying things like the HD retrovision cables there's clearly a market for specialty cables. Seems to me you could simplify getting an RGB setup using a connector that's available / common as dirt on your continent, given that as far as I can tell there's nothing electrically special about SCART connectors. Between inertia (inclusive of support by scalers) and the small size of the RGB community I get why, I'm just surprised that, as far as I can tell, nobody's hacked something together.

I think the issue is that while SCART isn't great, it's at least a standard that was used for a long time in real consumer hardware and that many consoles support. Getting everyone to agree on something new and all build to the same spec and work new versions of everything would be a mess.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm not loving around with SCART. I got a tv with component inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Why do Americans gently caress around with SCART instead of just making rca terminated RGB cables? You're already tracking down a specialty cable and plugging it into a converter, have to get specialty switchers, etc. It seems like an unnecessary complication when your really just want to tap into the right output pins.
Agree but with BNC and not RCA for RGB.

Half the people here are talking component, are folks using SCART with component?!