Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
A thread to share cool retro games you've been playing. Maybe we'll find things that we also want to play along the way!

I'm currently playing King's Field 2 (1 in the US, but it's the second game in Japan) after beating King's Field 4 The Ancient City on the PS2. It's a fully 3D dungeon crawler with a pretty big map with a lot of twisting areas and secrets to unravel. Combat is bad, but the exploration is so good that I don't mind it. I beat KF1, then skipped to 4 cause I thought I'd get bored, but now I just want more dungeon crawling action :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWSBYUPWMk0

Man, this is so much faster than KF4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super Mario RPG currently, but this year was big for me for Nintendo 64 games. For 2019 I have completed: Mario 64, Goldeneye, Pilotwings, Kirby 64, Doom 64

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tomba 2, and SMT I. I switch off whenever I get too annoyed with something in whichever one I'm playing right then.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Kirby's Dreamland 2 on my GB Boy (from Ali Express). It's a dream, mate. Just riding hamsters and shooting fireballs at umbrella men.

I'm also in the season cycle of playing Heroes of Might & Magic III but I think I've reached the end of that. I picked up Close Combat III: Russian Front. My troops did not prevent the German tank from crossing the bridge. But I learned it's important to keep a platoon commander with the men at all times oh my god.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Night Trap is $5 on the eshop so I think I know what I'm doing tonight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dug out my old Gameboy Advance (the backlit square one) so I could play Metroid Fusion on the bus. I had forgotten how often the game would force you to stop and listen to the Adam AI monologue at you. I must have blocked it out the first time I played...

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I keep returning to Saint Dragon, an arcade shooter from 1989. Never played it at the time, it's not even one of the best, so I can't say why I like playing it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Currently have savestates on Chrono Trigger and FFIV, usually play Streets of Rage II when I want a quick game of something retro.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EDIT: Wrong thread! Duh!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 21, 2019

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I'm currently in the middle of Treasure of the Rudras. I tried playing it once before and got busy with other stuff partway through, so I'm going to enjoy actually finishing it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kreeblah posted:

I'm currently in the middle of Treasure of the Rudras. I tried playing it once before and got busy with other stuff partway through, so I'm going to enjoy actually finishing it.

I really tried with that game but I got bored with it halfway and gave up like you. I think I expected too much out of it but I felt like I had to force myself to actually play it.

I just finished a playthrough of Minish Cap. I'm sort of casually doing a "100% every Zelda game" thing. I only have three left before doing weird non-canon stuff. Problem is they're the two DS ones and Skyward Sword.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I recently ordered a bunch of cheap Super Famicom carts from JP, and have recently been getting into the first Romancing SaGa. Yes, I know there's a remake, but the real draw for me is seeing how it played as an early SNES game. Graphically, the game looks similar to Final Fantasy IV which had come out a few months earlier. The gameplay feels closer to SaGa Frontier than it does to the first three games (aka Final Fantasy Legend). Like Frontier, it has enemies on the map which you encounter by running into, rather than the typical invisible "random battles" in Final Fantasy, but the path-finding is pretty laughable. You usually end up with a huge cluster of enemies on the other side of a wall or river, trying to go directly through the obstacle rather than moving to the door or bridge right next to them. It's really entertaining but also awkward.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I guess Paper Mario TTYD counts as retro now... I've played it before but always stopped somewhere along the way. I started a new playthrough last night in Dolphin and I'm determined to finally beat it this time

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I'm going through the Mario Party's with my girlfriend. We finished 1 about a month ago and have two boards left in 2, 3 should be arriving next week.

She got super into Kirby after playing Triple Deluxe, so Dream Land is in the Gamecube currently with Adventure in the NES next to it.

I play a lot of Mega Man.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oyster posted:

I'm going through the Mario Party's with my girlfriend. We finished 1 about a month ago and have two boards left in 2, 3 should be arriving next week.

She got super into Kirby after playing Triple Deluxe, so Dream Land is in the Gamecube currently with Adventure in the NES next to it.

I play a lot of Mega Man.

If y'all got a Wii (or Wii U), the Kirby's Dream Collection is a really easy way to get the early entries of the series in one place, if you don't have the rest already in some other format. It's got Adventure, Dream Land 1-3, Super Star Saga, and 64: The Crystal Shards. My son is super into Kirby, so it pretty much never leaves our Wii U. You can generally find it loose for about $30-$40 on Amazon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Dreamland Collection is solid.

Kirby's Dreamland 1 for the Gameboy was my first Kirby experience, so for years and years as a kid I had no idea Kirby's main thing was to eat enemies and get their powers. I just assumed everything was sucked up and spat out. Finding out that Kirby's Adventure did the whole enemy power thing kind of blew my mind.

(edit: i realized that if someone hasn't played Dreamland 1 there might need to be clarification: you can't get enemy powers. the only way to attack in the entire game is to spit one enemy at another)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was going to do a playthrough of the Kirby games I hadn't touched earlier this year and got to N64 but got derailed for other things at the time. It didn't seem very long so I need to get back to it at some point.

The last retro game I played was probably something with my cousin. I know a couple weeks back we went through Turtles in Time again, I just have to find more stuff in his wheelhouse that he can play. I try to introduce him to RPGs, even relatively breezy ones, but he has programmed himself to skip all dialog in games like that because he used to powergame Pokemon games.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Kunoichi (Nightshade) on PS2. Mainly because I never finished the game on Hard and thus didn't unlock all the costumes and extra missions, so I'm working my way through that slowly. But I did finally unlock Joe Musashi, that's something.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Sim Tower

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Puzzled / Joy Joy Kid for the Neo Geo, which I actually bought on Switch. Over any other Neo Geo game even.

It's a weird, janky, completely unfair Tetris variant where you can only rotate the shapes one direction, and it is blatantly rigged to give you multiples of the block least useful to you when you're struggling, but I still really like it for reasons I can't quite explain. Like, the game isn't Tetris so much as a completely different game that you are attempting to play by steering a lovely, unfair game of Tetris around it.

I still can't get past 1-7 on one credit.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 22, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I just finished a playthrough of Phantasy Star II via the Genesis/Mega Drive collection on Nintendo Switch. From one perspective, it's a half-finished game full of interesting but underimplemented ideas that was rushed out as a launch window title for the Mega Drive; from another, it's a pretty interesting proof of concept that you can make a difficult dungeon crawler from a top-down JRPG perspective.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I am playing through Link to the Past for the first time currently. It's really cool except for the random unintuitive notches that get passed over as Quirky LoZ Charm. I am going through half blind. I use a walk through to make sure that I grab everything because I don't have the time to recheck the map every time I get a new item, but beat the dungeons earnestly.

I started DKC2 several years ago and just got to the third world. I should probably continue that at some point. I just get put off slightly because I have no idea what I'm missing in a stage and if it's necessary.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Nothing is necessary in DKC2 besides getting to the end unless you want 102% and the 2nd ending. If it's your first time playing it I wouldn't bother at all with that, a lot of the bonus coins are really well hidden and not always in an intuitive way. I would play it just getting whatever you find naturally, the game tells you if you get everything in a level after you beat it (if there's a ! after the level name you didn't miss anything) so you'll know what you need to go back for if you ever want to.

And if you just really wanna try the secret world without getting all the kremkoins there's a max kremkoin cheat in the first level that's really easy to do.

DKC2 rules, and you're close to some of the best stuff in any platformer ever. Krazy Kremland and Gloomy Gulch are amazing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm currently playing King's Field 2 (1 in the US, but it's the second game in Japan)

Huh, odd coincidence. I started Shadow Tower last night. Not sure I like the control scheme much, but I'll probably get used to it before too long.

What makes me feel worse is that I kinda got fuckin' owned by the first enemy I came across that's like sentient grass or something? Couldn't angle it so I could hit it at all, so I just ran. From grass. :v:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonatrix posted:

Huh, odd coincidence. I started Shadow Tower last night. Not sure I like the control scheme much, but I'll probably get used to it before too long.

What makes me feel worse is that I kinda got fuckin' owned by the first enemy I came across that's like sentient grass or something? Couldn't angle it so I could hit it at all, so I just ran. From grass. :v:

Oh yeah, the control in these games aren't great. You gotta look down and attack real close sometimes depending on the weapon and enemy for the hit to register. You can just start an attack and then get closer to the enemy if you're not sure about the distance. I haven't beaten Shadow Tower yet, I played it once before but I'm gonna try it again after I'm done with the KF games.

Dying from those slimes early on is totally normal. Also, did you fall off and die right at the start of the game? I love how this is a thing that can happen in these games right at the start lol

edit: Don't forget to mash confirm/X near walls to find out secret passages as well

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 23, 2019

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Big Scary Owl posted:

A thread to share cool retro games you've been playing. Maybe we'll find things that we also want to play along the way!

I'm currently playing King's Field 2 (1 in the US, but it's the second game in Japan) after beating King's Field 4 The Ancient City on the PS2. It's a fully 3D dungeon crawler with a pretty big map with a lot of twisting areas and secrets to unravel. Combat is bad, but the exploration is so good that I don't mind it. I beat KF1, then skipped to 4 cause I thought I'd get bored, but now I just want more dungeon crawling action :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWSBYUPWMk0

Man, this is so much faster than KF4.

The King's Field series are such great games, you can tell the similarities between it and the Souls games since they're both made by From Software.

Personally I booted up an old classic of mine, Transport Tycoon Deluxe (with the OpenTTD source port of course.) That game will never get old. Ever.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm halfway through a run of Castlevania: SOTN. I've never been a big Castlevania guy but this game just has amazing RPG elements for an action game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Big Scary Owl posted:

did you fall off and die right at the start of the game? I love how this is a thing that can happen in these games right at the start lol

Almost, but I just barely avoided it. Turned around on the staircase, went up to see what was behind me, nearly walked clear off the edge going back down and just managed to not do so

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

The King's Field series are such great games, you can tell the similarities between it and the Souls games since they're both made by From Software.

Right? Sometimes a change in perspective is all you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8nb45F-v8

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

seiferguy posted:

I'm halfway through a run of Castlevania: SOTN. I've never been a big Castlevania guy but this game just has amazing RPG elements for an action game.

You should definitely play Aria of Sorrow and the DS games afterwards

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You should definitely play Aria of Sorrow and the DS games afterwards

I've played a few of them before, and while I do enjoy them nothing seems to hit that itch like SOTN does.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Playing Doom 64 tonight. Bit poo poo how you can’t really reach the L shoulder button to strafe left unless you use the D-pad to move, but then reaching for Z to shoot becomes a bit of a pain. Also this game is dark has hell I’ve had to turn the brightness up to max and it’s still hard to see

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Finally decided to sit down and play StarTropics to completion for the first time ever!

I'm playing lightly guided and I'm having such a good time with it I can't imagine why I tried and failed with it in the past.

Also have been streaming it. Here's me getting to the start of Chapter 7. I'll complete it on Friday.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/498273722

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

seiferguy posted:

I've played a few of them before, and while I do enjoy them nothing seems to hit that itch like SOTN does.

I feel like none of the SotN imitations really hit the mark. Not even Bloodstained really hit the mark and that was made by the same director.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I feel like none of the SotN imitations really hit the mark. Not even Bloodstained really hit the mark and that was made by the same director.

i mean, so were the ds games and 2 out of 3 of the gba ones.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I bought the Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 pack for PS4 and I am enjoying playing them on the sofa with a gamepad quite a bit. I will probably grab the PST and IWD pack next.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
I recently started playing Worms Armageddon (PC version, my favorite game of all time) again after almost a year off to enter a tournament (that I'm losing badly - the skill ceiling is stratospheric).

Not super retro, but I'm playing through Super Paper Mario right now. It's not as bad as I'd thought it'd be...but it's pretty weak. Mostly pure platforming, which has never been my thing, the inability to save mushrooms found in blocks for later restricts me from earning money and making recipes, and having to flip constantly to find secrets is an awful drag. Didn't need a strategy guide for the first two, but it would've improved this one. Characters/dialogue (awesome as always) are just about the only things saving it.

I'll go back to Perfect Dark (N64 version, my second-favorite game of all time - the XBLA port is inauthentic and half-assed) and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (my 4th-favorite game of all time, and my #1 chillout game) eventually, but I have a long past-few-years game backlog in front of me (including Cuphead, Alien: Isolation, and Dirt Rally).

P.S. 1999-2007...sorry for not going that far back. :-\ I am planning to get a (original, not mini) SNES someday - I didn't really get into gaming until N64, and although it soured me on 2D/primitive 3D games, there are a few classics I'm interested in experiencing.

P.P.S. The oldest games on my favorites list are Doom II, SimCity 2000, Myst, Quake, and Pokémon Red/Blue. The oldest games I've played on original hardware are arcade games like Donkey Kong, Tetris, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Asteroids, and the oldest games I've played emulated are Atari 2600 games.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 24, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I recently started playing Worms Armageddon (PC version, my favorite game of all time) again after almost a year off to enter a tournament (that I'm losing badly - the skill ceiling is stratospheric).

Didn't know this was a thing I wanted to see until you mentioned it. Will this tournament be streamed? High-level Worms sounds incredible.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Big Scary Owl posted:

Didn't know this was a thing I wanted to see until you mentioned it. Will this tournament be streamed? High-level Worms sounds incredible.

yeah that does sound really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Last night was Lvl 35 in Duck Hunt’s Clay Pidgeon. Pinched one of them old man nerves.