Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Replaying Blood Omen on PC with a recent patch is a great way to experience/re-experience the game. Higher quality sounds, Xinput support, 60 fps, running the game in any resolution (including windowed mode), including even different languages for the voices and subtitles somehow as well, which don't even exist in the normal game. Definitely the definitive version. This is the patch if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Took me more time than I would have wanted to do this but...

:cabot:

Now to never play this version of the game again. I'm sticking with EX.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What is that sorcery?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Pierzak posted:

What is that sorcery?

http://retroachievements.org/

With retroarch you can connect it to that website and track achievements, not sure about other emulators.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pierzak posted:

What is that sorcery?

CFox posted:

http://retroachievements.org/

With retroarch you can connect it to that website and track achievements, not sure about other emulators.

Yep, there are various emulators available for whatever systems. RetroArch does pretty much everything, but I use RALibRetro more often when possible. RAP64 gave me issues with crashing however, and RAGens is being deprecated with the next update so don't bother with that (loving thing crashes if you try changing the controls anyway).

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

On to AoF3 which is by reports less of a bastard than the first two.

I've continued playing Doom mods, this time High Noon Drifter

And the grandaddy of total conversions, Aliens TC

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Was in a Dragon Quest mood, so I'm playing Dragon Quest VIII instead of the first game for the billionth time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

this triggered some old memory. was there some doom engine or build engine cowboy game where you could dual wield pistols?

e:maybe it was blood because i also remember dynamite, but i think it was something else

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

this triggered some old memory. was there some doom engine or build engine cowboy game where you could dual wield pistols?

e:maybe it was blood because i also remember dynamite, but i think it was something else

Outlaws?

e: Wait Outlaws doesn't look at all like I remembered. So maybe I was conflating it with whatever you're thinking about.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Outlaws?

e: Wait Outlaws doesn't look at all like I remembered. So maybe I was conflating it with whatever you're thinking about.

i might be conflating it with something else myself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rinkles posted:

This is a real reach, but could it have been Smokin' Guns? https://www.smokin-guns.org/

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

In anticipation of its long awaited sequel, i'm playing Beneath a Steel Sky again

for like the fiftieth time or something

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I beat Chrono Trigger on DS last month, so right now I've decided to finally beat Chrono Cross.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

In anticipation of its long awaited sequel, i'm playing Beneath a Steel Sky again

Whaat? I hope it's a Doom-clone :pray:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Whaat? I hope it's a Doom-clone :pray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=int26L_JYvg

It still doesn't have a release date but Charles Cecil has been very vocal about it on Facebook and Twitter.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 7, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I bought a Genesis Mini because my eight year old loving loves Sonic and I wanted to catch up on the retro gaming I missed as a Nintendo-loving kid back in the day, and I have to say...

...there's a bunch of bad games in here. Altered Beast, Space Harrier 2, and both Mickey games were really disappointing and unfun. They felt like filler games.

Some of the other games we've played have been alright (ToeJam and Earl, Castlevania: New Generation, Streets of Rage 2, Columns) to good (Sonic 1 & 2, Mean Bean Machine, and especially Gunstar Heroes), but the average quality just seems underwhelming. Especially compared to the SNES Mini, which only has half the number of games, but a majority are, like, legendary classics.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Cicero posted:

I bought a Genesis Mini because my eight year old loving loves Sonic and I wanted to catch up on the retro gaming I missed as a Nintendo-loving kid back in the day, and I have to say...

...there's a bunch of bad games in here. Altered Beast, Space Harrier 2, and both Mickey games were really disappointing and unfun. They felt like filler games.

Some of the other games we've played have been alright (ToeJam and Earl, Castlevania: New Generation, Streets of Rage 2, Columns) to good (Sonic 1 & 2, Mean Bean Machine, and especially Gunstar Heroes), but the average quality just seems underwhelming. Especially compared to the SNES Mini, which only has half the number of games, but a majority are, like, legendary classics.

I was a Genesis kid growing up, but I'll happily admit that the Genesis didn't have the same number or, er, legendariness, of legendary classics. If I try to think about it...
  • I liked Castlevania Bloodlines/Generations a great deal, but it's very different from Super Castlevania IV. I played through both again recently thanks to the CV collection and I still prefer Bloodlines to SC4, but I'm distinctly in the minority there.
  • The Sonics, but honestly S3K is the only one I'd put at "legendary". Ristar was not super-well known but used the same engine and I feel like it is in many ways the better game.
  • I never played the Phantasy Star games but 2-4 were on the Genesis.
  • Streets of Rage was a big deal at the time.
  • The Genesis version of Earthworm Jim was the best one, I guess? I still can't say I liked it.
  • Zero Wing was technically for the platform, and that's a kind of legendary. Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force is still the best shmup I've played on the Genesis though.
  • Shinobi III is pretty good and I've never found anything quite like it.

I picked up everything in the Genesis Classics Collection on Steam recently in a megasale and... I think they're also suffering because they're mostly restricted to first-party or first-ish-party stuff. Sega never had a mascot stick the way Nintendo did, and Nintendo got like five off the top of my head.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Finished up Front Mission 2. The second-to-last mission is really tense, I loved it. I had my wanzers dropping left and right, it felt really dramatic. It was also nice how Royd Clive returned but unfortunately he was very crazy now. The saddest part to me was how easy the fight against them were, and it was a side mission even. Royd made some bad decisions man :smith:

And then I got the strangest sudden urge to play Fight Night 2004, the first game in the series. I really forgot how fun these games were and after all these years it still gets me pumped up. The knockout ragdolls are still hilarious too, so that's nice. Beat the career mode for the first time ever and man, fighting Ali is goddamn tiring. As it should be!

I'm not big on sports games, but this seems like a series that should maybe return (like EA Skate, bring it back you cowards)? Or is there a newer equivalent already?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Firo & Klawd is a game hardly anyone has heard of and I envy those lucky souls who haven't experienced such a waste of time. Ten pounds of poo poo in a five-pound bag.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=int26L_JYvg

It still doesn't have a release date but Charles Cecil has been very vocal about it on Facebook and Twitter.

Yeah OK just tell me it has guns!

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Been playing Contra Hard Corps on the Switch collection, finished 2 of the routes so far. This is game is badass. I was a SNES kid growing up but I already like this better than the first 3 Contra games. This game's rep as extremely hard is a bit overstated - I think Contra III is a bit tougher on normal, even more on hard mode.

For the Genesis fans, how is Castlevania Bloodlines? Is it worth getting the CV collection on Switch for it? I'm on the fence because I've played the other games aside from the GB one. My fave in that series is CV3, if that makes a difference.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah OK just tell me it has guns!

Why would it have guns?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Mea Tulpa posted:

Been playing Contra Hard Corps on the Switch collection, finished 2 of the routes so far. This is game is badass. I was a SNES kid growing up but I already like this better than the first 3 Contra games. This game's rep as extremely hard is a bit overstated - I think Contra III is a bit tougher on normal, even more on hard mode.

For the Genesis fans, how is Castlevania Bloodlines? Is it worth getting the CV collection on Switch for it? I'm on the fence because I've played the other games aside from the GB one. My fave in that series is CV3, if that makes a difference.

You’ll get a different answer depending on who you ask but I love Bloodlines! I don’t know if it’s worth buying the Switch collection SOLELY for it, but it’s a very solid game with some great level design and music.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bloodlines is a lot of fun and you take a bit of a differing path depending on which character you pick. Sprites are excellent, game plays well. I'd get it.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Cool, thanks. That sounds good enough for me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

A marathon session of Wolfenstein 3D on the SNES, Hard difficulty. I can only describe such an idiotic idea as absolutely loving exhausting. If I ever have to play that again it'll be too soon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Why would it have guns?

To shoot with.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

To shoot with.

Beneath a Steel Sky was a point and click adventure game, why would the sequel be something completely different lol?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

Beneath a Steel Sky was a point and click adventure game, why would the sequel be something completely different lol?

In adventure games, I like solving puzzles with violence. The setting in Beneath a Steel Sky was very shooting-appropriate.

Heck, even Space Quest had a (very bad) combat system.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In adventure games, I like solving puzzles with violence. The setting in Beneath a Steel Sky was very shooting-appropriate.

Heck, even Space Quest had a (very bad) combat system.

Okay well i'm pretty sure Beyond a Steel Sky is going to be very much in the vein of all of Revolution's Point and Clicks, the fans would probably revolt if they turned it into a third person shooter!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Been catching up on old adventure games, sometimes returning to old faves and sometimes just to beat them and remove them from my back because it bugs me to leave stuff for years unfinished.

Among other stuff I revisited the Gobli[i][i]ns series and learned that the CD versions are way worse than the floppy ones, with bearable but not great voice acting instead of the signature blah-blah speech sounds, and the awesome and catchy music was replaced by much worse tracks :nallears:

So my question is this: I have Woodruff and the Schnibble in my sights, so far it sounds like the CD version of Goblins. Did it ever have a floppy version, or was it a later project that got released on CD only?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Giving The Mad Wizard a try. It's pretty solid if you like Metroidvanish puzzle platforms.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Pierzak posted:

So my question is this: I have Woodruff and the Schnibble in my sights, so far it sounds like the CD version of Goblins. Did it ever have a floppy version, or was it a later project that got released on CD only?

No idea on this but you have reminded me that I should look up Frankomatic on YouTube and see what let's plays he's done lately as he did do this game. For what it's worth the version he played was fully voice acted.

Stuff I poked at recently:

Future Tactics: the Uprising- Really slow strategy game that tries to be actiony. Most of the slowness is from having to watch the enemy turn in real time. Deformable environments are kinda cool I guess? Also if you read the diary entries of the little sister to the main character between missions they are dark as hell, especially set against the cartoony style of the graphics. I dropped it though because I got sick of the slog real quick.

Lattice 200EC7- Still as obscure and as impenetrable a rail shooter as the last time I tried it. And I mean that literally as you are first person traversing a rail dodging and shooting enemies looking to shoot canister thingys to open gates/eventually finish the level after you get them all. I think, it's hard to know what's going on. This game is Japanese PS1 only and no one on the Western internet cares enough about the game to cover it.

Rival Schools- It's not a bad 3D fighter but for some reason I didn't like the feel of it. Maybe it's because I've spent too much time in Evil Zone, Star Gladiators, or Lightning Legend? Also it's one of the few times I've looked at an early-ish 3D game and thought "man this looks rough."

Puzzle and Dragons Z/Super Mario- Okay I know it's not really retro but I finally got to it just now. It's a match three puzzle variation for those not in the know. The Mario skinned half of the game sucked and I slammed into a wall of difficulty at the end of level 2. But at least it was a good tutorial for the normal Puzzle and Dragons half of the game, which so far has a gentler difficulty curve and is much more enjoyable. You can tell that this half had some thought put into it about player progression instead of tossing all the options at you at once.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That post reminded me that I will never, ever stop playing Quiz & Dragons.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

That post reminded me that I will never, ever stop playing Quiz & Dragons.

You've played the Capcom trivia variation, right?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Super Monkey Ball. It is a simple arcade-like experience where you endanger monkeys.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

A marathon session of Wolfenstein 3D on the SNES, Hard difficulty. I can only describe such an idiotic idea as absolutely loving exhausting. If I ever have to play that again it'll be too soon.

Faceball 2000 will make you love it

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

MorrisBae posted:

Faceball 2000 will make you love it

Woah, no thanks, I've been there. As it stands, I also have no reason to go back to that thing... yet.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Shenmue for Dreamcast. I think this is now the third time that I've tried to finish this game as I always lost interest pretty early on. I'm using a walkthrough this time so hopefully that can keep me progressing through the story enough to keep me focused on finally finishing this. Thank god for that as I always got frustrated trying to find the sailor bar in the unmarked alley that unfortunately for the player isn't listed on the street maps. Graphically I think it still looks good and is one of the best looking on the system, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Woah, no thanks, I've been there. As it stands, I also have no reason to go back to that thing... yet.

I didn't even know about the hidden Cyberscape mode in the SNES version that has all the Gameboy levels until I did some googling yesterday - I might need to go back and play though that

quote:

Cyberscape (Puzzle Mode) - Hold down L & R while selecting the number of players, then let go when the screen fades to black.