Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Right after I finished Resident Evil 3: Nemesis I started Code Veronica and holy hell is it such a massive improvement over Nemesis. I played through a quarter of CV well over a decade ago so I had completely forgotten about the real time 3D environments and how well the graphics still hold up. The tank controls still suck but overall movement seems quicker. Nemesis seemed a bit short but what was fun to play especially since I had never played it before, so I'm looking forward to actually finishing CV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m thinking of playing CV since it feels like Capcom will just skip over remaking it and go to 4 next instead. Is the GameCube port any good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m thinking of playing CV since it feels like Capcom will just skip over remaking it and go to 4 next instead. Is the GameCube port any good?

The gamecube port is a fine of a bad game, and is also the origins of Matrix Wesker

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd probably play the PS3 version if you have one.

Not sure if it got released on the PS4.

E. Yes it is on the PS4

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t have either. I’ll play it on Switch if it comes to that. I don’t see why not since every other “classic” RE game got ported.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started playing American Bass Challenge on the GBA in the hunt for a good fishing game, was pleasantly surprised! From a childhood of fishing on an almost weekly basis I was impressed with how well they nail the specific mechanics of fishing, casting, attracting fish, hooking them, and fighting them as you reel them in. Very relaxing when you get into the swing of things, and for a GBA game the visuals are pretty nice.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t have either. I’ll play it on Switch if it comes to that. I don’t see why not since every other “classic” RE game got ported.

If you have no other options than the GC. It's fine, nothing to write home about I guess.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Finished Crusader of Centy. Cute game but probably not something I'll feel a ton of nostalgia for.

Thought I would try another Genesis RPG because that's largely uncharted territory for for me but I noped out of Traysia when none of the spells had names that made any sense and I for annoyed with Phantasy Star 3 and how slow Rhys walks. I just want to pick up something and play drat it.

So I figured, why not go back and replay Suikoden?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quiet Feet posted:

Finished Crusader of Centy. Cute game but probably not something I'll feel a ton of nostalgia for.

Thought I would try another Genesis RPG because that's largely uncharted territory for for me but I noped out of Traysia when none of the spells had names that made any sense and I for annoyed with Phantasy Star 3 and how slow Rhys walks. I just want to pick up something and play drat it.

So I figured, why not go back and replay Suikoden?

Try Beyond Oasis or Neutopia games if you’re feeling up for more games inspired by Zelda.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

For some loving idiot reason I've started Equinox (SNES) and I'm up to Dungeon 4 (Atlena). The game in general is really doing my loving head in with its lovely isometric perspective though.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I beat Cho Aniki yesterday with the savestate feature on the CoreGrafx Mini. Fun but there's a lot of "you better be in this location or you die" moments.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying to remember a game I played on the PS2 forever ago, and I finally found and played it yesterday: McFarlane's Evil Prophecy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOiESnaGgRo

Holy loving poo poo this game is terrible. I might beat it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Trying out Graffiti Kingdom for the PS2. The gimmick in this game is that you can draw creatures that your character can transform into.

I made this creature that I named SNAKEDOG. It doesn't have legs, only gigantic arms and a snake body. My idea was that the arms would move everything, but I guess the game had a different interpretation.

So it walks like this. Maybe I should have set the arms to be legs instead, but this is fine too. It punches good!

This is a sequel to a game called Magic Pengel for the PS2 as well, but Magic Pengel is more like Pokemon with turn-based rock-paper-scissors battles instead of being an action-adventure game like this one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Getting Cubivore vibes with those graphics. A good thing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i will never forget drawing a cock and balls for the opening drawing in magic pengel and having it bounce throughout the entire opening cutscene to introduce the land and characters.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Getting Cubivore vibes with those graphics. A good thing.

Never heard about Cubivore before, interesting.

Phantasium posted:

i will never forget drawing a cock and balls for the opening drawing in magic pengel and having it bounce throughout the entire opening cutscene to introduce the land and characters.

I had to resist the urge to draw a dong in this, don't remember if I did it in Magic Pengel.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Never heard about Cubivore before, interesting.

Cubivore is a weird GameCube cult action RPGish game that’s about evolving creatures and becoming the top of the food chain. It’s not like that game at all, except a bit visually, but it’s absolutely worth a look.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Graffiti Kingdom owns hard. I love unlocking all the Taito cameo characters (and Reimu from Touhou is in there too)

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
They should have kept iterating and improving on the concept imo, it's very interesting and fun, at least the drawing aspect of it is.

edit: found this post on another forum, apparently the person responsible for the drawing engine is unrelated to the company that made the game, and also has his own website where the programs are up for download

quote:

Before we celebrate Garakuda Studio for being innovative...

The guy who created the drawing engine (called Teddy) that Magic Pengel uses, is called Takeo Igarashi. He's also completely unrelated to Garakuta Studio and currently an Associate Professor at the University of Tokyo. He's a really cool and modest guy which I had the pleasure to meet after he received the "Significant New Researcher" award at Siggraph 2006. He's best known for his work on Teddy, a drawing tool that converts your images to 3D models which was also his 1999 thesis (so this isn't really new). Amazing Island and Graffiti Kingdom are the only other games I know of that use Teddy.

Takeo Igarashi's website:
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/

The Original Teddy program:
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy/teddy.html

Open Teddy:
http://openteddy.sourceforge.net/

Sweater, an app the textile industry uses:
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/research/cloth/index.html

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 13, 2020

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy).

Or at least I was playing it. Just finished it again, albeit for the first time in quite a while! Generally the game still holds up pretty well IMO (especially considering how many new things it was doing/trying to do compared to the first Metroid), but it's far from perfect and the cracks are definitely showing. Used a map this time around because gently caress it, I've finished this game without any map enough times and didn't feel like loafing around like an idiot -- the whole thing flies by so fast when you're not constantly being bamboozled or led in circles by all the similar-looking architecture/textures. Instead you're constantly finding upgrades and slaughtering Metroids in all their forms; before you know it, you're slapping the poo poo out of the Queen Metroid and going home. In any case, the graphics are surprisingly detailed with some gently caress-off big sprites, the controls are responsive and the platforming & shooting action just feels good, even if the aforementioned Metroid encounters themselves start to become tedious or just plain annoying by about halfway due to their simplicity (until nearer the end of the game at least).

One very divisive aspect of this entry seems to be the (lack of) music; Metroid II starts off strong in this field with the initial tune for the planet's surface (and at the other end of the game has one of the best credit-roll themes on the GB), though before long it starts getting weird. Really weird. It's going for an atmospheric, ambient approach a lot of the time in the different caverns (which is fair enough), but on those occasions it sounds like a series of dripping taps and/or an orchestra of buzzing insects rather than the moody ambience it's aiming for. One particular track sounded like alien tap-dancing when I was a kid and it's hard to shake off that impression even some 25+ years later. It's not entirely horrible to listen to but it certainly isn't all that memorable either (and I very much doubt that these "ambient" tracks feature on anyone's VGM playlist). I'm largely indifferent to these cavern not-a-tunes -- years of playing this game does that -- but on the other hand I can also definitely see why something like the tune heard in the numerous Chozo Ruins is a piece of music that many find incredibly dull/grating.

Whatever. Good game, worth a look.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The moment in Metroid 2 when your Metroid counter GOES UP certainly caught me off guard as a kid

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Booourns posted:

The moment in Metroid 2 when your Metroid counter GOES UP certainly caught me off guard as a kid

Same. That’s a really cool moment. I really need to go back and finally beat the original. I’ve only completed AM2R and Samus Returns.

I always get too lost in the original. Maybe one of those colorized DX hacks would be a big help.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

find a scan of the nintendo power issue that just has a map and use that one specifically for funsies

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

find a scan of the nintendo power issue that just has a map and use that one specifically for funsies

I’m pretty sure I don’t even need a scan and have the magazines in the garage somewhere.:v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Booourns posted:

And then you go a few rooms ahead and "OH poo poo WHY AREN'T MY MISSILES DOING ANYTHING GET OFF GET OFF AAAAAAAAAAAA" happens. Having to re-acquire the Ice Beam, the first and weakest upgrade, in order to deal with them was a stroke of genius.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

In the middle of Suikoden.

Somebody at Konami really liked vampires didn't they?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Quiet Feet posted:

I don't want to spoil anything but yes

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Quiet Feet posted:

Me too, I just named the Castle. (Playing on Raspberry Pi). The latest kickstart sparked my interest in the series. Wanted to start at 2 but was talked into playing the first first. It's an OKAY game I guess. I do like it, I think the writing is great. But it's basically that old school mash A until you win, explore, read, repeat. Not really a challenge, but that's the nature of the jrpg.
But hey, I'm not commenting to complain about jrpg's, I love jrpgs. I'm here to ask:
Do you use gamefaqs? Or do you go in blind? I've been reading the 20 year old walkthroughs in the .txt format that I"m so nostalgic for, but not sure if I'm missing an essential part of gameplay, that is walking around trying to find people to recruit. Am I spoiling it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking as someone who's beaten Suikoden twice, once more or less blind and once with a guide to get all the recruits, I don't think you're missing too much by using an FAQ. If you're only going to play the game once, you might as well do it as thoroughly as possible. And considering it's Suikoden, you're not going to get all 108 stars unless you use an FAQ. Some of those trigger conditions are pretty drat obscure.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Super Mario Sunshine. As a kid I'd only played it at a friend's house and found the controls very difficult. With some more time they're manageable but not great. I really should have a blue coins list open while I'm playing to make the final sweep up not an absolute nightmare.

Hippojax
Aug 16, 2020
Super Metroid, but these youtuber dudes make me feel like I'm dogshit at the game

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I occasionally pick up the DS and play Dragon Quest IV. It is pretty simple gameplay wise, there are no jobs, everyone just follows a set progression. I don't have much nostalgia for the series since the first one they released here in PAL land was 8, but I am enjoying it. I am well past the part where you play as the actual hero of the game now and maybe I'll even finish it, who knows?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Started Chrono Trigger for the first time ever but it crashed when I got to Gato at the fair :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Charles posted:

Started Chrono Trigger for the first time ever but it crashed when I got to Gato at the fair :(

Playing the PC version? Just do yourself a favor and play the DS version. Emulated or not.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

Me too, I just named the Castle. (Playing on Raspberry Pi). The latest kickstart sparked my interest in the series. Wanted to start at 2 but was talked into playing the first first. It's an OKAY game I guess. I do like it, I think the writing is great. But it's basically that old school mash A until you win, explore, read, repeat. Not really a challenge, but that's the nature of the jrpg.
But hey, I'm not commenting to complain about jrpg's, I love jrpgs. I'm here to ask:
Do you use gamefaqs? Or do you go in blind? I've been reading the 20 year old walkthroughs in the .txt format that I"m so nostalgic for, but not sure if I'm missing an essential part of gameplay, that is walking around trying to find people to recruit. Am I spoiling it?

You'll definitely need a guy to get every character. I'm very close to the end and I think I botched it. Currently at I think 98 and I thought there was one more section before the final act and I'm pretty sure I just locked myself out of getting at least one character by waiting as long as I did.

Oh well. I've got an older save with a complete game on it. Planning on moving on to the second game after I do this play through and I guess I'll just start from that one. Hell, I may even retry the third game this time!

Erfsom posted:

I occasionally pick up the DS and play Dragon Quest IV. It is pretty simple gameplay wise, there are no jobs, everyone just follows a set progression. I don't have much nostalgia for the series since the first one they released here in PAL land was 8, but I am enjoying it. I am well past the part where you play as the actual hero of the game now and maybe I'll even finish it, who knows?

Not that you're playing on the NES but It's by far the best RPG on that system and I have a bucket of nostalgia for it. The chapters thing was completely unique at the time and it was pretty amazing as the characters you had previously played as all rejoin after apparently having been on adventures apart from you, the player. It made the world feel much deeper than it actually really was. :unsmith:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

After recently torturing myself with Equinox I'm thinking about suffering through Solstice.

Other than that I re-attempted the original Metroid. After playing Super Metroid a couple of times and revisiting Metroid II, the first game really has aged like open milk on a radiator over the course of a miserably humid Summer. Someone did recommend Zero Mission a while back and I'll have to go with that idea. Shame, but oh well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Surprised you’re having issues with it if you were fine with the original Metroid 2. I find the original 1 much easier to navigate.

But yeah, Zero Mission is fantastic. I’d then recommend giving the original first game another try after finishing that. The layout may be less frustrating to you then after going through it in ZM.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i enjoyed Solstice way more than Equinox

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Surprised you’re having issues with it if you were fine with the original Metroid 2. I find the original 1 much easier to navigate.

But yeah, Zero Mission is fantastic. I’d then recommend giving the original first game another try after finishing that. The layout may be less frustrating to you then after going through it in ZM.
It's not so much the navigation (although that's certainly a chore too) but all the QoL things brought in by even the second game alone; crouching (and with it, crouching to shoot), shooting down while jumping, etc.. I got so used to having these minor yet game-changing abilities that going back to the original is so incredibly jarring when Samus apparently doesn't have knees, or this first iteration of the Powersuit's joints have rusted beyond reasonable use. I'll get used to it eventually but I keep making the mistake of playing the original almost immediately after one of the others :thumbsup:

Sally posted:

i enjoyed Solstice way more than Equinox

So it's not a load of fun-free, cruel & frustrating horseshit? That's all I need to hear, I'll do it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

It's not so much the navigation (although that's certainly a chore too) but all the QoL things brought in by even the second game alone; crouching (and with it, crouching to shoot), shooting down while jumping, etc.. I got so used to having these minor yet game-changing abilities that going back to the original is so incredibly jarring when Samus apparently doesn't have knees, or this first iteration of the Powersuit's joints have rusted beyond reasonable use. I'll get used to it eventually but I keep making the mistake of playing the original almost immediately after one of the others :thumbsup:

Zero Mission may make that even harder for a bit. It controls better than even Super Metroid. I believe there’s some cool rom hacks that add some of its features to Super.