Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really enjoying Persona 1 so far. If I can complete this and Persona 2, then I want to play some of the other SMT games from that gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've tried the PSP version of Persona 1 before, and between the grindiness and the janky battle system I couldn't get into the game. Eventually just gave in and read an offsite LP of it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been slowly chipping away at the Persona 3 Portable for PSP and generally really enjoying it. I never played the PS2 version and understand the differences in gameplay but I actually kinda like the adventure game/VN aspect of the PSP port.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you can deal with persona 1 then you can deal with all the rest of the games. P1 is good but also very tedious

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I dipped into the Street Fighter 2 GBA port last night and man I've played too many modern 2D fighters because I actually noticed and missed fighting game mechanics from later games and it felt kinda rough, even after setting the difficulty back to normal. Has SF2 reached the point of Goldeneye 64 now? As in a revolutionary game in it's genre and day, but now is dated and eclipsed by newer games?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Turbinosamente posted:

Has SF2 reached the point of Goldeneye 64 now? As in a revolutionary game in it's genre and day, but now is dated and eclipsed by newer games?
Not really. It may lack the bells and whistles or flashier mechanics from later entries of the genre but SSF2T is still a solid 2DFG with a respectably-sized scene, though the GBA port is something of an ugly example.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Not really. It may lack the bells and whistles or flashier mechanics from later entries of the genre but SSF2T is still a solid 2DFG with a respectably-sized scene, though the GBA port is something of an ugly example.

I had to wonder how much was the port and how much was my own suckitude. Wasn't it the same team that ported Alpha 3 to the GBA? At any rate I'm waffling on whether SF2T on GBA is worth my time any more and if I should just sell it in favor of my genesis copy of Super.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I started playing Shining Force 2 on the Megadrive. Seems very simplistic so far, but enjoyable enough. I just have a hard time with the game forcing me to sit through all of this dialogue and story, which seems common for these types of games.

Sometimes it feels like the game is trying to babysit me, just taking up my time so that I will stay seated in the sofa. I want to play, damnit, not sit through endless unskippable, simplistic dialogue.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

xandra no daibouken (i think the english title is "whirlo"), a bizarre game. i tried it because my friend complained to me that she'd been traumatized by it in her youth because it's so hard and unfair

she wasn't kidding. this is one of the most mean spirited games i've played. your character has a lot of moves at his disposal and the controls are responsive, but making the wrong move causes him to get stuck in an animation that leaves you vulnerable, this includes jumping down from too high ledges. even descending from a platform to a lower one is dangerous. there are some sections that rival the turbo tunnel in battletoads. everything is a death trap and there's a lot of bad endings, one wrong move and you die, even in seemingly non-threatening situations. it constantly lures the player into a false sense of security

at the same time it's intriguing. the music is good and the mood is dark. it's somewhat like gargoyle's quest in that you play an enemy from another game (valkyrie no boken on the famicom) and see how he got to be a bad guy in that game, unless you get to the good ending

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Turbinosamente posted:

I had to wonder how much was the port and how much was my own suckitude. Wasn't it the same team that ported Alpha 3 to the GBA? At any rate I'm waffling on whether SF2T on GBA is worth my time any more and if I should just sell it in favor of my genesis copy of Super.

The ports are more of a technical curiosity now than a legit way of playing these games

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Turbinosamente posted:

I had to wonder how much was the port and how much was my own suckitude. Wasn't it the same team that ported Alpha 3 to the GBA?
Nope! Revival was all in-house by Capcom, while Crawfish Interactive handled the GBA port of Alpha 3.

Out of self-loathing curiosity I played Revival a moment ago and quite frankly seeing Guile perform a Flash Kick on the exact frame he landed after I slapped him out of the air is loving disgusting even by SF2's cheating horseshit standards.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
*sighs and starts a new stack of trade in games*

Last time I had fun playing Turbo Revival was like 15 years ago in an emulator anyways. More bummed that the fun vanished from this particular port. Also huh Capcom in house made it? I wondered who's decision it was to just use the current offical art for the character select and win/lose screens. It works, technically, but it's a little lazy and I notice it now.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I finished Dino Crisis 2! :neckbeard:

And in doing so I figured out why the first game doesn't work for me. I've already said it before, but DC1 seems to take its cues from the first Resident Evil, which just does not fit the theme or play style of the game. Jill and Chris in RE1 play slow and clunky. And you know what? That's fine. Your primary enemies are zombies, and they're sluggish and can be easily avoided if you're careful. So the game overall pushes a methodical sort of play which fits with its setting and plot. Not so in Dino Crisis. Regina moves and shoots incredibly slowly, but the staple enemy in this game is the raptor, which does not. It'd be like if you took the original Resident Evil, removed the zombies and replaced them almost entirely with the hunter enemies. Obviously those guys move fast but at least by the time you encounter them you should have weapons with enough stopping power that it puts you on an even footing. The first Dino Crisis also pushes a spooky horror movie vibe and it just never feels quite right.

As well, frankly Dino Crisis 1' environment is really sterile and boring. Kinda makes sense as its a lab... but that just doesn't change the fact that the compound looks very dull and same-y. It also makes it a pain to navigate. The various wings of Resident Evil's mansion have distinct looks to them and are easier to differentiate.

Dino Crisis 2 was what the series should have been from the start. It takes its cues from action games instead of slow burn horror movies. The set pieces, such as shooting plesiosaurs on the ship, the tank, etc, all help keep the adrenaline up. Suspense is kept churning with a constant assault from different dinos. The plot is kinda dumb ( and I hated the ending) but whatever, it does enough to push the action along. Great game and a great departure from the first one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dino Crisis 2's ending is very very stupid but could have been ok if Dino Crisis 3 wasn't an absolute shitshow of a game. Do not play, extremely bad.

DC2 could have been improved a little with a Resident Evil 4 style NG+ as well.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Barudak posted:

Dino Crisis 2's ending is very very stupid but could have been ok if Dino Crisis 3 wasn't an absolute shitshow of a game. Do not play, extremely bad.

Too late

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dino Crisis 2's ending is followed up on by a first person arcade style shooter game called Dino Stalker, known as Gun Survivor 3 in Japan. That's the real Dino Crisis 3. The released Dino Crisis 3 actually has pretty much nothing to do with the other games in the series other than the fact it has dinosaurs in it.

Like I'm pretty sure Dino Crisis 3 was an unrelated IP they slapped the name on for brand recognition, except it was so bad it poisoned the naming brand.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TBF almost any time a company slaps a recognized brand name on an unrelated game for the recognition it usually ends up killing the franchise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hel posted:

Too late

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Commander Keene posted:

TBF almost any time a company slaps a recognized brand name on an unrelated game for the recognition it usually ends up killing the franchise.
Same with Reboots and other types of side projects.

Option A: The game is good and only that type of game is made going forward meaning the original series is dead.
Option B: The game is bad and the publishers claim that no one likes the series and it is dead.
Option C: The game is bad, but someone has enough pull to make a sequel to the original series, which is good.( Basically only Devil May Cry).
Basically as soon as it's announced you know the series is dead.

Barudak posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

It's ok, I softlocked before I could save( and I haven't yet figured out xemus savestates) so I'm going to be playing better games today.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We have a chance with Front Mission where after two different insanely stupid badly received games that each individually murdered the series, were getting a re-release of the stuff people like and a new game*

*New game may actually be mobile garbage, killing the series for a third time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished illusion of gaia. I loved it! This was such a fun and really well done RPG.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Speaking of: might be something of an off-topic question, but I assume it'd fit in here just as well as anywhere else:

When playing through these older RPGs for the very first time, do you all just play completely blind (like I imagine most of us would have done as kids in the mid-90s, pre-Gamefaqs), or do you follow along with walkthroughs -- or, even more effort, read the PDFs of old Prima guides assuming you can find them?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Speaking of: might be something of an off-topic question, but I assume it'd fit in here just as well as anywhere else:

When playing through these older RPGs for the very first time, do you all just play completely blind (like I imagine most of us would have done as kids in the mid-90s, pre-Gamefaqs), or do you follow along with walkthroughs -- or, even more effort, read the PDFs of old Prima guides assuming you can find them?

I usually only read the game manual and play it normally.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Drone posted:

Like every other game I go along until I get stuck then google up a guide for whatever section I'm trapped at.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, Google's been a pretty ideal solution for me, too. I can search for the specific part I'm stuck on and usually see the solution without even having to open the link and see potential spoilers.

I mostly save it for when I'm stuck on something to the point of it no longer being fun, though.

EDIT - To build on that a bit, I also use guides after I've finished something to find hidden things or specific mechanics I hadn't quite worked out before.

The main experience I'm trying to avoid is that of the couple times I managed to acquire guides as a kid to games I loved (Neuromancer and Starflight, both for the C64), and I'm left with detailed memories of the all fun and investment I had in those games... up to the moment I got the guide, which I followed like a recipe to get to the ending. Everything I played with the guide is a total blank, my memory didn't see fit to save any of it.

TBF, I probably never would have made it to the end at all without those guides... I never made it far in anything as a kid. But the more time I can spend engaging with a game on its own terms, the better my experience is, and precision Googling has been a perfect fit for that.

After The War fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 14, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Turbinosamente posted:

Like every other game I go along until I get stuck then google up a guide for whatever section I'm trapped at.
:same:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i found out theres a gargoyles quest 2 port in the gameboy so i played it a bit, id already finished this game on the nes before but its still impressive to see the game flawlessly ported to gb, gargoyles quest 1 was already an impressive game and this one improves the graphics and controls a lot,although its a lot easier too unfortunately

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Recently found a copy of Metal Gear Ac!d on the cheap, snagged it up as I'm trying to get a small PSP collection going. Definitely an interesting little game, but it's taking me a lot of time to figure out a good strategy. When and how to move and how to knock out guards in a way that won't trigger the alarm the very next turn...

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I recently realized that Gradius was ported to the C64, and it's pretty good! The port was made by Konami themselves. I suck at the game, but it feels fun and fair somehow. Apparently there are two versions: "Gradius" and "Nemesis", and only the latter has music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHhh2krAAts

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary for NES on my new RG351M.

Not because it's a particularly good game (it's on the decent side of mediocre), but because it's very on-brand for me and because the last time I played it when I was like 10 I was too stupid to figure out the puzzles.

The 351 owns though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Recently found a copy of Metal Gear Ac!d on the cheap, snagged it up as I'm trying to get a small PSP collection going. Definitely an interesting little game, but it's taking me a lot of time to figure out a good strategy. When and how to move and how to knock out guards in a way that won't trigger the alarm the very next turn...

If you end up enjoying it Ac!d 2 is a better balanced more rich game with a different art style and arguably weaker plot which is impressive for what Ac!d 1 is.

Id buy Ac!d 3 in a heartbeat

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Drone posted:

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary for NES on my new RG351M.

Not because it's a particularly good game (it's on the decent side of mediocre), but because it's very on-brand for me and because the last time I played it when I was like 10 I was too stupid to figure out the puzzles.

The 351 owns though.

Funny you should mention that one, because I've been thinking about a playthrough of the weird mid-90s run of Trek console adventure games now that I have everdrives and controllers for both the SNES and Genesis... partly out of curiosity, partly out of a desire to make my 13-year-old self happy, and partly because I seem to have found myself writing about the history of Star Trek games (amongst other things). I've had the Interplay ones on PC for a while now, so those are going to need a re-visit soon.

Any experience with those, as a kid or as... an older kid?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just beat the original Crash Bandicoot 100% for the first time. It was the first game I owned as a kid, but I could never clear the second island or so back in the day. I went on to 100% both crash 2 and 3, but couldn't handle the original. Decided to try finally returning to it and seeing about 100%ing it.

Game's not perfect, but holy poo poo is it fun. I actually think it might be my favorite to 100%? A lot of variety in the gameplay without getting repetitive, and getting the gems is a fun challenge. I remember never liking the idea of needing to get every box WITHOUT DYING after 100%ing crash 2 and 3, but after playing through I'm glad it's like that and think it was a mistake for the remake to remove the "without dying" requirement. In Crash 2/3, the challenge for getting gems tends to be around just not accidentally missing any crates. In Crash 1, getting all the crates in a level is usually trivial outside of colored gem paths, so earning a gem is more about proving you can beat a level without dying. Which can be very hard for some levels, admittedly, but usually it's actually not that bad.

In fact, I was surprised how often the platforming was easy, but FELT hard. Like there being a bunch of narrow platforms in a row with enemies moving around - but if you make the very first jump avoiding the first enemy, you can just hold forward and mash jump and you'll make all the rest of the jumps perfectly. It presents very intimidating setups and convinces you it'll be hard as balls, but the actual mechanical execution is pretty easy. Obviously this isn't always the case, and there are quite a few levels with legitimately hard platforming challenges, but overall it's quite forgiving even while appearing to be the opposite.

The biggest critique I have is needing to quit out of levels to keep trying at gems if you die after a checkpoint, and the save system is kinda fucky. I saved after getting a gem once, but then got a game over and was a few levels back? But the game remembered I had gotten the gem? It's weird and kinda obtuse, but it was early ps1 so not surprising. I actually don't mind the game having lives, I think they're a good way to encourage consistency in player skill, but the specific implementation in crash 1 is janky.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

After The War posted:

I seem to have found myself writing about the history of Star Trek games

Oh hell yeah, desire to know more intensifies.

I've played most Trek games that came out since around 1990, but not a lot of them recently. This is the first time I'm really going back and playing the NES 25th Anniversary game and I'm having a decent time with it, but it's very basic and the puzzles are generally either very straightforward or very unmodern (there are a couple sections that require you to shoot a specific rock on a cliff wall / shoot a locked door in order to melt it open, and you would THINK that it'd be designed in such a way so as to make the rock wall blow up/the door open after like one or two shots... but no, in both cases you have to shoot at them repeatedly for an uncomfortably long time, far past the amount of time that a modern player would come to the conclusion that "huh, this doesn't work, I'm gonna go try something else. That sad I think this game could have been made really great as a 16 bit version.

I haven't seriously gone back to play any of the other console stuff of that era in awhile, but I have it planned at some point. The NES TNG game is hot garbage, that much hasn't changed. I remember quite liking the TNG game for SNES/Genesis as a kid and want to go back to it, but I kinda want to play A Final Unity on PC first. I never got past the very first weird elevator puzzle in the DS9 game.

The Interplay adventure games for PC (25th Anniversary + Judgment Rites) hold up really well and remain great. I remember Starfleet Academy really fondly from my childhood and its age is pretty apparent. It's a pain in the rear end to get Starfleet Command running reliably and stable on Windows 10 even with the GOG versions. The Activision era games are all a bit easier to run in comparison.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

After The War posted:

I seem to have found myself writing about the history of Star Trek games
Oh god, this means you'll have to experience those TNG games for NES/GB (basically the same thing). All I can say is that in hindsight I can see what they were going for, but Jeeeeeeeeeeesus they're a pair of mind-numbing affairs. When I was a kid I didn't pay much attention to the missions and would just warp around star systems looking for other ships to obliterate (which was occasionally exactly what I was supposed to do!), then give up and play something else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Persona 1. :toot: It was an okay game, I can see how this was used as a foundation for the future games. The sequels improve upon this in every single way. Which version of Persona 2 do I want to play? There is Eternal Punishment, and Innocent Sin, and both are on PSP as well. Do I want to play the PSP versions or the PS1 version?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So the psp is the only place to get innocent sin in English and the PS1 is where you get eternal punishment in English. Psp has some general UI changes making things flow a little better in combat, and has a remixed soundtrack rather than a redone one like P1.

Innocent sin is the first in the duology and you should play that first, EP is a sequel using the same setting and many of the same characters but in different contexts. Because it was officially translated back in the day the translations are way different then the current standard, but it isn't a hack job and is coherent.

Another note, IS is very easy so if you didn't have a problem with P1 then you might wanna crank the difficulty up because otherwise you can just ignore half the systems in the game.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Playing Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap tonight now that I finally have my SMS set up where I can hit the pause button on the console with my toe. :buddy:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Drone posted:

Oh hell yeah, desire to know more intensifies.

It all started when I wrote
this

TheTL;DR is that one of the most important and influential electronic games is called… "Star Trek", originally run on a SDS Sigma 7 mainframe and totally unlicensed. It pioneered a bunch of stuff: it was one of the first single-player games, it was the first game with multiple levels of maps to deal with, the player had to track multiple factors like energy, torpedoes, and ship damage… and it was all procedurally generated. It was ported and remade over and over – for almost two decades, if you said a game was just called “Star Trek,” this was it. I first played it on an Atari 800XL (under the name “Star Trek III,” which deeply confused my tiny mind when I actually saw Search for Spock) while my friend had it on their family 286 as “EGA Trek.” It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to call Star Trek (the game) one of the most influential fanworks of all time.

But the thing is… it’s not Star Trek. It’s a war game. There’s no new life or new civilizations (although later versions would add some exploration goals to check off). There’s nothing like tricking a computer into blowing itself up with nursery rhymes or figuring out how to break out of a cell or any of the stuff that was actually on the show. As far as I can tell, the first attempts to do a Trek game in the style of the series were the semi-text adventures Simon & Shuster published in the mid-80s.

So, right now, I’m kind of fascinated by attempts to create original Star Trek stories in games, since there seem to be so very few of them. Through all of it, combat-based games set in the Trek universe have persisted and remained the dominant format (specifically ship-based combat, but there was that spate of FPS titles), despite, y’know… not being very Star Trek.

Oh god, this means you'll have to experience those TNG games for NES/GB (basically the same thing). All I can say is that in hindsight I can see what they were going for, but Jeeeeeeeeeeesus they're a pair of mind-numbing affairs. When I was a kid I didn't pay much attention to the missions and would just warp around star systems looking for other ships to obliterate (which was occasionally exactly what I was supposed to do!), then give up and play something else.

I'm not masochistic enough to try a survey of the entirety of the Trek video game canon (yet...), but I will certainly give these a look while I do... whatever it is I'm doing. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, I have the TNG game for Game Boy and it's overall pretty darn dull. I did appreciate the first couple hours for what they were, kind of a simulator with a mission generator and minigames, plus actor portraits and cool LCARS animations. But back then, it was one new game every couple months, so...

I would say that the game that made me feel the most like a Star Trek captain, especially with all the flying around conducting diplomacy, was Star Control II. I would also say that Star Control II, with its planetary scans and moody aliens, occasional 1960's flair, and the design of Earth ships, is heavily influenced by Star Trek.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 21, 2022