Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Feeling my age seeing Worms Armageddon listed as a retro game. I guess college really was that long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Big Scary Owl posted:

Didn't know this was a thing I wanted to see until you mentioned it. Will this tournament be streamed? High-level Worms sounds incredible.

The later rounds might be streamed - the group stage is just finishing up right now.

http://cwtsite.com/

You can find some links to streams from last year on there, though a better way to watch games is via WA's internal replay system - every round is being uploaded for result verification. You do have to buy the game, though... :P

Though I'm not following matches outside my group very closely, some players to watch this year are tanerrr (who's a jerk), Siwy (last year's runner-up), Rafka, and Kayz. I think all the players except me are from Europe.

Note that it could be a while until the playoffs. The tourney kind of snuck up on people this year, and as a result there the fewer players than normal (the only reason I managed to qualify...) and progress is slow.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 25, 2019

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Pug Rodeo posted:

Feeling my age seeing Worms Armageddon listed as a retro game. I guess college really was that long ago.

It breaks my brain that the N64 got a port of that game in 1999.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Super Metroid on Switch. The first time I played it was on the new 3DS, so it’s a much better experience having a more comfortable 8bitdo controller and not have to dislocate my thumb trying to hit Select on the 3ds all the time

Baxate fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 25, 2019

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

ProjektorBoy posted:

It breaks my brain that the N64 got a port of that game in 1999.

Also in 1999, the N64 version of Rayman 2: The Great Escape released before the PC version.

Its remixed soundtrack was really solid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsas6lHXkdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Yvib1wTt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDuL4f7T3cE

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I still play Super Punch-Out all the way through at least once a month-- about that time again, actually! I don't know what it is about that game but it never gets old for me.

Plus it still looks great.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Just started a run of BioForge on twitch..one of my favorites from my dosgame days, beat it on hard back then.
If anyone wants to watch, my twitch username is crazydescent

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Starting on Breath of Fire III and for the next year, I'll do the hard mode hack.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I finished my replay of Grand Theft Auto III last night, the first time I played through the entire main story in many years. It's weird to think of GTA3 as a retro game, but it did come out 18 years ago (and thus is finally allowed to purchase a copy of itself in PAL territories) so it absolutely is an old game and I am old as well. :corsair:

Does it hold up? Well, considering this was the first attempt to bring GTA into 3D, I'd say it could be a lot worse. It's extremely simplistic compared to the later PS2-era GTA games, let alone the more modern ones, but that's not necessarily a bad thing because you don't have to sit through hours of cutscenes and dialog scenes between a bunch of massively unlikable characters or deal with the draconian mission scripting of the later games. Even when the missions get more elaborate towards the end of the game, most of them still give you a decent amount of freedom to choose your approach. I always liked that (although the lack of a proper in-game map makes it a lot harder to plan your routes and such), and was disappointed when the mission design kept getting more and more restrictive in the sequels. On the gameplay front, stealing cars and running from the cops is just as fun as it ever was. I also like the radio stations a lot, even though they're obviously much more limited than in the later games and most stations only have a few songs on the playlist. There's not as much licensed music in GTA3, so you get a lot more original songs by Craig Conner and Stuart Ross. Chatterbox FM is also my favorite talk radio station in the series, because Lazlow playing the straight man to the insane weirdos calling in to his show is just perfect.

One part of the game that most definitely doesn't work is the on-foot combat. It's a lot better (but still clunky as hell) on PC thanks to KB+M controls, but on the console versions it's just dreadful. You can't turn the camera without going into first person, so good luck trying to see where the enemies are hiding. The lock-on system is also a barely functional mess that only occasionally bothers to target the enemy you want to shoot. Often it just targets some random passerby (even if they're behind you) or doesn't target anyone at all. It's not a big problem early on because the enemies have low health and lovely weapons at that point, but once you start fighting the Cartel they can shred you to bits in seconds with their AKs and M-16s. You pretty much have to resort to exploiting the enemy AI to get through the harder missions, by standing outside their range and picking them off with the sniper rifle or rocket launcher while they sit there twiddling their thumbs and repeating their five combat taunts. On-foot combat has never been GTA's strong suit, but it's especially awful here and in Vice City. DMA/Rockstar North should've recognized the fact their engine couldn't really handle these amazing action setpieces they'd envisioned, and certainly shouldn't have made the combat the main focus of the later missions.

The version I played was the Xbox port by Rockstar Vienna. While it doesn't take full advantage of the hardware or change the original game mechanics in any way, you do get shinier graphics (with improved car models and reflections, as well as some character model and geometry tweaks) and 480p support, as well as revised car controls with brake and throttle on the analog triggers. The Xbox version generally runs better than the PS2 original or the PC version on most people's computers at the time, but there are some problems with cutscene audio desync, screen tearing, and sustained drops from 30 to 20 fps (which slows down the gameplay because the engine doesn't skip frames) especially during rain storms. Acceptable for the time, but pretty rough nowadays. I wouldn't call this the definitive version of GTA3, but it's an interesting port regardless.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 27, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
just got my SBC emulator setup and discovered the gf likes old beat-em-'ups so we're going through streets of rage and final fight. the streets of rage soundtrack really is as good as everyone says, and i never really appreciated it at the time.

Adept Nightingale posted:

I still play Super Punch-Out all the way through at least once a month-- about that time again, actually! I don't know what it is about that game but it never gets old for me.

Plus it still looks great.
hell yeah, I just did this, too. it's amazing how much better i am at it now that I know How To Play instead of just being a 12-year-old button masher

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Currently playing Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3) via Collection of Mana. I've messed around with the game on emulator before, but never really got into it before.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Pool of Radiance and it's pretty good but the dearth of sound effects in the PC version is bothering me. I guess Dragon Wars spoiled me when I was young. I'm going to play through all the four games and then continue with Eyes of the Beholder.

The control system where you move up and down in menus with 7 and 1 on the numeric keypad is hecked up though. And female characters have stat restrictions because it's D&D.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've been playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Pool of Radiance and it's pretty good but the dearth of sound effects in the PC version is bothering me. I guess Dragon Wars spoiled me when I was young. I'm going to play through all the four games and then continue with Eyes of the Beholder.

The control system where you move up and down in menus with 7 and 1 on the numeric keypad is hecked up though. And female characters have stat restrictions because it's D&D.
That must be really old-school D&D, because I've played 1st- and 2nd-Edition AD&D and I don't remember any gender-based restrictions. Just a dumb thing where Humans didn't get any powers, but instead were exempt from arbitrary level restrictions on how powerful they could get.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

That must be really old-school D&D, because I've played 1st- and 2nd-Edition AD&D and I don't remember any gender-based restrictions. Just a dumb thing where Humans didn't get any powers, but instead were exempt from arbitrary level restrictions on how powerful they could get.

I think it's based on 1st Edition AD&D and female fighters are capped to 18(50) strength. I have literally no idea if that's in the rules because I was a Runequest lad myself.

e: I mean I could just make a male fighter but I'm committed to playing fantasy games as a female fighter called GAY SEX MAN. I don't know why I guess I'm stupid. It literally doesn't even matter in games where there's no dialogue referencing PCs' names.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 29, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
[quote="TenementFunster"post="499489297"]
hell yeah, I just did this, too. it's amazing how much better i am at it now that I know How To Play instead of just being a 12-year-old button masher
[/quote]

I remember as a kid always getting stuck at Dragon Chan because he was the first fighter you couldn't just button mash. One night I had a dream I defeated him by blocking his punches and was able to do it the next day. If I played today I would throw counters but getting tha timing down back then was hard as heck.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
I'm making my way through the Genesis Collection on Switch and its surprising how strongly I feel towards a lot of the games in the collection. Fatal Labyrinth looks like a follow up to Dragon Crystal on the Game Gear (which I think is a top tier gg game), but I'm really not enjoying it at all. I also really hated Beyond Oasis, which is disappointing because I was certain I was going to love it.

On the other hand, I never played Dynamite Headdy or Comix Zone before and they own.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

the rat fandom posted:

I'm making my way through the Genesis Collection on Switch and its surprising how strongly I feel towards a lot of the games in the collection. Fatal Labyrinth looks like a follow up to Dragon Crystal on the Game Gear (which I think is a top tier gg game), but I'm really not enjoying it at all. I also really hated Beyond Oasis, which is disappointing because I was certain I was going to love it.

On the other hand, I never played Dynamite Headdy or Comix Zone before and they own.

I got hooked on Dragon Crystal and played it a lot on a Master System emulator, and now I wanna play it again thanks to your post lol. I recall playing Fatal Labyrinth once for a bit but from what I played I still preferred Dragon Crystal. I think it feels faster to me than Fatal Labyrinth, at least from what I remember. Beyond Oasis never clicked for me either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Re: Sega anthologies; has anyone ever actually played Bonanza Bros.? I think I have it on two modern collections and i haven't touched it yet.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Tried going back to Dragon Crystal today and god loving damnit, I forgot how annoying some of the later enemies are in that game. Every enemy in the late-game has some sort of negative effect that has a chance of triggering after they attack you. Like levelling you down, dropping your strength, rusting your weapon, rusting your armor... And the worst part is that it's not a temporary thing or that can happen just once per enemy. It can happen, several times, per enemy. I still think it's a great game but it's frustrating as gently caress, got to level 26 out of 30.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Jerry Cotton posted:

Re: Sega anthologies; has anyone ever actually played Bonanza Bros.? I think I have it on two modern collections and i haven't touched it yet.

I stupidly bought a Genesis cart for it even though I already had it on at least one Sega anthology so yes I have played a few levels of it. The best description is that it's a more puzzle based Elevator Action. You are shown all the items to steal at the beginning of the level and then you have to go in and get them while finding your way around the guards by stunning them with your gun and using things like doors to your advantage. Once you get the loot you have to make your way to the escape point possibly with a time limit. It is a game I'll definetly return to at some point since I don't mind a bit of Elevator Action style gameplay from time to time.

Speaking of Sega poo poo I decided to play something quick tonight so I put in Feel the Magic XY XX for DS. It's.... okay. You can definetly feel that this is an early "tech demo" type game for the system so the touch screen mini games work fine, but are not as earth shattering as they were in 2004. I'm a little over halfway through and the game is beginning to wear a bit thin as I notice the repetition in the music and the mini games getting a little less fun. I do enjoy the Sega cheesiness that is present in the game though it feels kinda restrained, but that could be me unfairly comparing it to Warioware's brand of enthusiastic wacky. I already know that I am not going to bother trying to 100% Feel the Magic and am deeply considering just dropping it and giving its sequel a shot instead with the hope that it is more refined.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's a pretty good game. Feels a bit weird at first but you soon get into it. It's a loving hoot with two players.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

SEGA dropped the ball on not capitalizing on that loving bear from Kokoro Scan

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Diablo 1 + Hellfire. I can't explain it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Palpek posted:

Check out "Tchernobog" some time. It's quite something, and best of all it's (unlike Hellfire) multiplayer compatible!

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

I got hooked on Dragon Crystal and played it a lot on a Master System emulator, and now I wanna play it again thanks to your post lol. I recall playing Fatal Labyrinth once for a bit but from what I played I still preferred Dragon Crystal. I think it feels faster to me than Fatal Labyrinth, at least from what I remember. Beyond Oasis never clicked for me either.

Is the Master System version significantly different from the Game Gear version? I had no idea there was an SMS version as well.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm not a big fan of stealth games and I had a good time with it. It's very charming.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

the rat fandom posted:

Is the Master System version significantly different from the Game Gear version?

The answer to this question is pretty much always no. The Game Gear was pretty much a portable Master System (you could even get an adapter to play SMS games on GG though not vice-versa). However there were often minor differences between the SMS and GG versions like a music track here and there or slight graphical differences due to the screen resolution/size. In the case of Dragon Crystal, the translation is different but I believe it's the same otherwise.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m playing Shin Megami Tensei (1). Last night I learned that robots are extremely vulnerable to being put to sleep. Thanks ancient RPGs!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I started replaying some Super Mario Bros. 2 for a bit but canned it about 30 minutes in. Jesus the vine/ladder climbing is horrible. You have to be pretty much dead-centre at all times else you just fall off; even when you're climbing up a shaft only one tile wide, you fall off anyway if you move so much as mere pixels left or right of centre. Compare this to SMB3 or SMW.

Slippery, slidey old bollocks. It's a shame because I actually like SMB2 for the most part, but this climbing poo poo is a real pain in the balls.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I started replaying some Super Mario Bros. 2 for a bit but canned it about 30 minutes in. Jesus the vine/ladder climbing is horrible. You have to be pretty much dead-centre at all times else you just fall off; even when you're climbing up a shaft only one tile wide, you fall off anyway if you move so much as mere pixels left or right of centre. Compare this to SMB3 or SMW.

Slippery, slidey old bollocks. It's a shame because I actually like SMB2 for the most part, but this climbing poo poo is a real pain in the balls.

Were you playing with a dpad or analogue stick? I can't remember the game being that finicky.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

D-pad. I wouldn't even touch old games like that with analogue sticks!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I don't remember climbing being a problem in SMB2 either. I only played the SNES and GBA ports of it though, maybe it was worse in the NES original?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

rujasu posted:

I don't remember climbing being a problem in SMB2 either. I only played the SNES and GBA ports of it though, maybe it was worse in the NES original?

FWIW I was actually playing the NES version, so maybe SMAS tweaked it? :shrug:

I could always check that later on, but it's a real thing that gave me a headache. Climbing all those loving chains.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

this game is crazy ambitious. you sneak snipers through the streets to get to their positions, then use them to take shots at terrorists in the windows before you bust in with your main squad to clear the embassy. it's a lot of fun

i love this detail where you guys poke though the map

music is really great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHZaKlTtKZU&t=260s

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wait, Kemco made games that aren't low-effort RPGMaker asset flips? I'm confused.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, Kemco made games that aren't low-effort RPGMaker asset flips? I'm confused.
Back in the day they did a lot of ports of western computer games like Hostages/Rescue The Embassy Mission, Spy Vs Spy, the Macventure games (Uninvited, Deja Vu, Shadowgate)...

They also did a good few licensed puzzle platformers, often with different licenses depending on region!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lets hang out posted:

this game is crazy ambitious. you sneak snipers through the streets to get to their positions, then use them to take shots at terrorists in the windows before you bust in with your main squad to clear the embassy. it's a lot of fun

i love this detail where you guys poke though the map

music is really great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHZaKlTtKZU&t=260s

God drat I haven't seen this game in years! For some reason I was always absolutely bloody awful at avoiding the spotlights, I'd emerge from cover too early every loving time even though it looked perfectly fine onscreen.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

An NES RPG called Chaos World, and I currently can't figure out how to save! Old RPGs are always...a ride, to figure out their mechanics.

ETA: Turns out it was sleeping at the inn! The game just doesn't tell you it's saving. Ah, retro RPGs.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 1, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Palpek posted:

weird. i just started playing this last week and also dont know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dash Rendar posted:

weird. i just started playing this last week and also dont know why

Subtle chinese brainwashing to get you hype about Diablo 4 and forget about Hong Kong!!!!!!!!!!