Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dug out my old Gameboy Advance (the backlit square one) so I could play Metroid Fusion on the bus. I had forgotten how often the game would force you to stop and listen to the Adam AI monologue at you. I must have blocked it out the first time I played...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Dreamland Collection is solid.

Kirby's Dreamland 1 for the Gameboy was my first Kirby experience, so for years and years as a kid I had no idea Kirby's main thing was to eat enemies and get their powers. I just assumed everything was sucked up and spat out. Finding out that Kirby's Adventure did the whole enemy power thing kind of blew my mind.

(edit: i realized that if someone hasn't played Dreamland 1 there might need to be clarification: you can't get enemy powers. the only way to attack in the entire game is to spit one enemy at another)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Palpek posted:

Diablo 1 + Hellfire. I can't explain it.

weird. i just started playing this last week and also dont know why

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I loved Jak II. there's some bad missions... like atrociously bad... but for the most part it's super compelling and the game keeps it pretty fresh. giving Jak a voice was a good call. it's probably my favourite of the three even if i prefer the Mad Max aesthetic of the third. 2's story and characters are just better

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

e: I just got to the point in Gaia where Kara asked me if I was her friend. Without giving too much away, is there a right answer to this question? I was thinking of Chrono Trigger where actions at the fair have ramifications for later.

not that i recall no. there might be something about getting a jewel tied to it, not sure. getting all the jewels for the mysterious dude gets you an optional side-dungeon and some of the jewels are missable, so that's the only real concern.

it's not that big a concern through. minor spoilers: the optional dungeon reveals a direct link to the previous game, Soul Blazer, with one the old bosses reappearing. Same thing happens with the third game, Terranigma, referring back to Illusion of Gaia in obscure ways. Terranigma is also a brilliant game if you finish Illusion and want more.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Quiet Feet posted:

Anyway, going to try and get all the red jewels this time. Iirc last time I played this, ages ago, I missed exactly one, so that was annoying.

the reward is absolutely not worth it. (though I have gone back and replayed the game to get all of them myself anyways!)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shibawanko posted:

It's worth it imo, the hidden dungeon is creepy and you get a difficult new boss.

it IS true that the dungeon is creepy and the boss is good--and I like the reference to Soul Blazer. trying to find all the jewels and not miss any of the missable ones just never felt worth it in a length RPG to me. i always felt...

that...

Phantasium posted:

keep in mind illusion of gaia's manual just straight up tells you where the red jewels are so if you want to just look up a pdf and follow along it doesn't matter. none of them are hard to get they're just sometimes hard to find.

no loving way. seriously?

haha, holy poo poo, i used to rent this game from Blockbuster multiple times, no instruction manual, and bashed my head against the wall again and again over not being able to find them.

:negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love the aesthetic and concept of it a lot, and it has one of the best SMT soundtracks I've ever heard (which makes it one of the best OSTs, period), but I've bounced off of it twice because I just can't seem to click with it. Any advice if I want to begin again from scratch?

Cielo sucks. Don't bother with him too much unless you really wanna tackle the SMT1 superboss. Though there are sections of the game where you lose members and are forced to use others... so level up Cielo somewhat. :shrug:

Cover your character's weaknesses asap. Enemies don't give a gently caress.

Heat is lost after SMT1 and replaced with (imo) a superior character in SMT2. You can get Heat back for the final dungeon (and thereby lose Heat's replacement) if you answer all of the game's dialogue options correctly.

It's been a long while since I played but those stick out in my mind...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's awful. go to TMNT2!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i focking loved Turok remastered. i did a brief LP of the PC version when it came out! The Turok 2 remaster is even better an i am in fact replaying it again. PC is best choice imo if only because there is a mod to make Joshua run as fast as TalSet jn the first game. it makes Turok 2 play so much better in an already much improved version. i would done an LP of Turok 2 but my PC is ancient and the frame rate dies when i try to record.

ah well

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i am killing quarantine time with Heroes of Might and Magic III.

for the zillionth time

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Is Age of Empires 3 retro now? I just blitzed through all of the campaigns and man I don't know why I held off on playing this for so long. It's quite different from AoE2, for sure, but i really dug the focus on smaller maps and faster placed gameplay.

Lots of little things that I liked. Cheesy, but I enjoyed that the campaigns in the west were generation after generation of people in one family. I also appreciate that it didn't celebrate the death and genoicde in the expansion of the American west nor try to "noble savage" the various indigenous peoples. For an RTS, some nuance was given. Fairly surface level, but I appreciated the attempt!

I know the big focus was on the Mesoamerican empires and just few North Americans cultures, but occasionally finding Inuit or Nootka warriors made me want some a Pacific Northwest island raiding campaign.

The neutral trade posts were a fun mechanic and I enjoyed raiding enemies to secure them.

Fun game overall. Moved on to others to take a break from it but i think i'll come back and check out what mods exist for it later

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barudak posted:

Fired up Super Metroid and yeah, I still hate it. Im trying to push myself to get further this time but I dont think its gonna happen.

are you big on Metroidvanias in general? Super Metroid lacks a lot of QoL stuff found in the later games.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Man Xmen for the NES loving sucked. what a broken rear end game. it's only redeeming feature was the kickin rad soundtrack

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i am fairly certain it IS unplayable because one of the levels is glitched and cant be beaten without cheats

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This track is a real banger too: https://youtu.be/p3zqzipkrgM

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's been decades since I've played it so i may very well be misremembering something else that's unplayable for this.

Googling shows there's some sort of code you needed to access the final Magneto level and that it was partially printed on the game box, so if you didn't have that you'd be hosed--kinda like StarTropics with the submersing the manual in water code. Maybe that's what I'm thinking of?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
uhhh

Ultimate Alliance is probably the best beatem up on PS3/360.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also the many sidescrolling beatemups like SpidermanVenom Maximum Carnage

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
folks i realize now that that was bait and we took it hook line and sink her

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it DID make me reminisce about the countless hours i put into Ultimate Alliance

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
dont tell me this :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Quiet Feet posted:

Finished a playthrough of Secret of Mana tonight and decided to mess around with Tecmo secret of the Stars. I remember it being incredibly generic a couple of decades ago and I'm sure that time is not helping any.

Yeah a cat just murdered me in the first town. What the gently caress Tecmo?

Secret of the Stars was not that great on release and has aged pooooorly. Jump ship if it starts to wear on you. It's tedious and bythenumbers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I am played RE4 for the first time. I tried it years ago on the PS2 and bounce hard off of it because I couldn't cope with the controls and never came back to it (i had only made it as far as the opening village attack and bell).

I am playing it on PC, and already the mouse aim is a much improved experience. Still don't love the movement controls but I get that's part of the early RE experience. I bounced off of RE2 and never played any other RE games... and I always turn off tank controls in Silent Hill 2...

BUT, I am getting the hang of it and am starting to see why it's seen as such a classic. it still took me a bit to get over killing a bunch of mooks in the first village attack--I defintely don't have a Resident Evil mindset and kept trying to avoid alerting people and not killing them because I wanted to play hero cop Leon... but now that I'm past the lake boss, i am a parasite monster person killing machine.

(it's too bad the game runs for poo poo on my old PC... i have to play 800x600 and even then the framerate drops whenever it rains in-game).

Anyways, I just saved Ashley and have decided that the John Carpenter's The Thing wolves are the worst enemies in the game and I hate them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Chrono Trigger DS adds a lot of bad stuff. The magical mountain fetch quest thing is agonizingly superfluous. The monster rancher minigame is half-baked. And the weird slipspace time vortex that has you revisit remixed levels to get to a new boss is executed in a very meh manner. The added credits and story stuff is okay in linking the game to Chrono Cross more but none of it is new and just confirms things fans already new.

Some people have told me "if you don't like it just ignore it", but the fact that it's there really drags down Chrono Trigger for me. The original came had very little fat--all killer, no filler. Having the added bloat on the DS version really sucks... though I did like the ending tracker.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha yeah secret of the stars had a lot of little things that drove me mad until i gave up on it. unlike say Lufia 1 that while dull and repetitive, had enough charm to keep me going through the whole game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
you are free

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hmm... i would like to know more...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm trying to play Killzone but the controls are absolutely killing me. Was it really this bad or is my Dual Shock 2 busted or what? I can't hit poo poo.

there's a weird "heaviness" to the controls that the devs have purposely used throughout the series to emphasize the weight of the characters and weapons. it definitely doesn't control like other shooter games of the era. there was even minor controversy around the controls when Killzone 2 launched. it received enough backlash that they added "Call of Duty" style controls in a patch to satisfy demands. as someone who has played a fuckton of Killzone games, I will say: It plays fine once it clicks for you.

but I will also say Killzone 1 is the worst of the series. It's hell to play on the original hardware too. At least the PS3 runs as the devs intended, but even then it is pretty dull and by-the-numbers. If you have a Vita or Vita TV, Killzone Mercenary is the best in the series, gives you a greatest hits in terms of story beats and gameplay, and is a drat fine game in its own right.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
totally fair. Killzone is way easier when you unlock Rico. his missions are more straightforward shooting galleries and his starting weapon is the minigun/rocket launcher combo. accuracy helps preserve ammo, but you dont really need it with him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i enjoyed Solstice way more than Equinox

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

So it's not a load of fun-free, cruel & frustrating horseshit? That's all I need to hear, I'll do it :v:

oh no dont get me wrong, it is ALL of those things. i was just a lot more willing to forgive it because ot was NES title.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ha, at least its title track is a banger

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Crystalis is good! You playin' the NES version or the GBA port?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Random Stranger posted:

There is no GBA port or Crystalis. There is a GBC port, though. I don't recall any QoL improvements when I played it for a comparison.

oh yeah, your'e totally right. i was confused and had to dig out the old cartridge i have, but it's absolutely GBC. one of those cartridges with the bumps on it so you can't accidentally put it in an old Gameboy, too!

there were a bunch of changes, from what I recall... lookin' up wikipedia, it lists these in particular:

quote:

Game Boy Color version
Nearly ten years after the game's initial release, Nintendo, with licensing from SNK, re-released Crystalis for the Game Boy Color on June 26, 2000. This version, however, is a significantly different game, exemplified by a different opening sequence. The nature of the Tower's origin and its purpose were fundamentally altered, with the Tower now being a weapon created by the game's antagonist, and the protagonist has been elevated to a hero of ancient prophecy destined to save the world.[2]

Other major changes include an almost completely new soundtrack, re-translation differences (for example, Draygon is now known as Dragonia, as in the Japanese version) and rewriting of story-items and events[1] (Kensu's Body and the dialogue in the Dwarven village, for example). The game now has a longer end due to the incorporation of a new dungeon,[3] the Tower dungeon being redone, and the re-ordering of the ultimate and penultimate boss battles,[2] which were excluded from the original game due to space constraints (Draygon's second form serves as the final boss in the remake as opposed to DYNA).[9] Also, a digital voice was added to state the name of each sword upon discovery.

Unlike the original version, enemies are not immune to certain elemental swords.[2] The lower resolution of the Game Boy Color screen, compared to that of the NES, results in a field of view smaller than in the original, making the GBC port more difficult;[9] some enemies can now attack the player from off-screen.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The enemies attacking off screen was annoying but wasn't gamebreaking, imo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That was such a tremendous disappointment for me when I found it out a while ago. Not because of Earthworm Jim (never liked it), but because The Neverhood had been one of my favorite point-and-click games.

lovely news, but good to know! i was gonna go back to my old blind sally avatar, but maybe i'll just go back to dash rendar instead.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
wait is Ninja Crusaders that coop NES ninja game where you can turn into animals?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

If the sound of Baby Mario bothers you so much, stop being a scrub and git gud at avoiding everything that causes damage :colbert:

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i have the sound of the Bee dude shouting "Gooooooo!!" etched in my mind.

that and "Bass Quake".

extremely good game.