Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tomba 2, and SMT I. I switch off whenever I get too annoyed with something in whichever one I'm playing right then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oyster posted:

I'm going through the Mario Party's with my girlfriend. We finished 1 about a month ago and have two boards left in 2, 3 should be arriving next week.

She got super into Kirby after playing Triple Deluxe, so Dream Land is in the Gamecube currently with Adventure in the NES next to it.

I play a lot of Mega Man.

If y'all got a Wii (or Wii U), the Kirby's Dream Collection is a really easy way to get the early entries of the series in one place, if you don't have the rest already in some other format. It's got Adventure, Dream Land 1-3, Super Star Saga, and 64: The Crystal Shards. My son is super into Kirby, so it pretty much never leaves our Wii U. You can generally find it loose for about $30-$40 on Amazon.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

An NES RPG called Chaos World, and I currently can't figure out how to save! Old RPGs are always...a ride, to figure out their mechanics.

ETA: Turns out it was sleeping at the inn! The game just doesn't tell you it's saving. Ah, retro RPGs.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 1, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Once I figured out "saving" in Chaos World, I've gotten further in it, so I'm just going to copy my post from the RPG thread in the main Games forum, for my thoughts on it:

In my quest to play Old rear end RPGs that aren't the big name franchises, I'm playing Natsume's Chaos World (Japan only, 1991) for the NES right now.

I haven't beaten it yet, but it does a few interesting things. It's overall a little...meh, but that's because everything it does was done better later. A day/night cycle that changes much of nothing (shops are closed, pubs are open, but that's about it). What's almost a primitive form of FFXII's gambits, where you select a strategy (in this game, formations), and the computer plays out the battle for you, but you don't have the option of complete control). A bunch of potential party members, through a guild system, but they're all precreated, so you get what you get and being an NES game, there's not much personality there. Jobs through the guild system, that require either male or female characters, or certain classes, very similar to the system in FF Tactics where you just send them off and dick around for a while.

Music sounds really nice, but hoo boy, is it repetitive.

Overworld graphics are pretty good for the system. Nothing super special, but pleasing enough.

Battle graphics are somewhat simple (old school black background, faceless characters), but also not bad.

A nice touch though, is both sides have simple animations for doing stuff.

As for the translation, as you can see from the last screen, it's got some issues here and there. There are also a lot of abbreviations in menus and the like. It's a pretty early Aeon Genesis translation, so it doesn't quite have the polish of later releases (I believe a redo of it is in the works). But it's playable all the way through, which is good enough for me.

Anyway, overall, it's not the worst I've played. It has kept me interested enough to continue, which is all I really ask for from a game. But it probably won't get a replay anytime soon, as the only real replay value seems to be some (maybe only one? Not sure) of the characters you can recruit change based on which class you pick for your starting character, and using different team formations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Further Off Brand RPG Adventures, I've moved onto Crystalis. Played it before, but it's been a looooong time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Gave that a BIS and man why is (computer video game) cover art so lame these days?

(Speaking of adventure game covers, is Vallejo still alive?)

Boris Vallejo? Yeah, he's still kicking around. Was 78 this year. He and his wife, Julie Bell, are both still doing art. I don't know about singular projects, but they collaborate on a yearly calendar. This is next year's. :nws: given the artists in question.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Today is going to be kinda retro, because I got Katamari Damacy Reroll as a present! Game holds a lot of memories for me. First time I beat it, my at the time three month old kid (he's 15 now :corsair:) was taking a nap on my chest.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Elaborate? I loved Seasons, does that mean I'll probably be disappointed with Ages? :ohdear:

Nah. They're both 2D Zelda games through and through. Just one is more puzzle oriented, and one is more combat oriented. Both have some of each, but the two titles focus more heavily in one or the other direction.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mamkute posted:

Hey, i got a secondhand disc of Shadow of the Colossus for the Playstation 2 without the manual, and does the thread know any secret moves that will help me get on the second colossus? It is quadrupedal and it lives on the beach and it moves slowly. I tried jumping on its legs, but it doesn't work.

Slight spoilers: Look at its feet.

Full on: Dpad cycles weapons. Shoot an arrow at its feet.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mamkute posted:

Thanks, I didn't expect that to be a weak point, but it makes sense.

Yeah, for later stuff, if you're having difficulty and lighting permits, if you hold up the sword like you do when tracking down where the Colossus is, it'll point towards the currently active weak point. A few have things you have to do before you can actually get up onto them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

psychopomp posted:

Today I am playing one of two "mascot" games I've never touched. Crash Bandicoot, or Bonk's Adventure. Which one should I choose?

I personally like Crash more, but they're both good.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Super Mario Land 2. It's still a surprisingly good game and handles well for its age, but it's also way too easy in general (for whatever reason it also includes an EASY MODE toggle at the file select). That aside, I'm going through piles of other retro games now because of this nonsense giving me an excuse to play them in ways I'd never have bothered with before. I mean who in their right mind plays through an entire Contra game without getting a weapon powerup?

And now I'm playing Super Mario RPG for the millionth time. Only now with achievements!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's been a while since my last playthrough, and man...Geno is kind of a condescending dick, isn't he?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Boshi is the worst, and I hate him.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kevyn posted:

I bet it’s the one in Forest of Illusion that just redraws the path you just came from

That or one of the Star Road ones. Those are what usually trip people up, in my experience.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I’ve been playing Metal Max Returns for the SFC. It’s crazy how detailed it is, and it’s a shame it was never officially localized. I just picked up my third and final party member and now need to find a tank for her.

Metal Saga for the PS2 is pretty good as well, and got an official localization. One of only two out of the series that did.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not me but my son. He has almost worked his way entirely through the Classic and X Mega Man games. He's got 9 and 10 left for Classic (he skipped ahead to 11, when it came out) and X7 and X8 for X. So now he's super excited for the Z/ZX collection coming out soonish.

Though, given he got on me about getting MM games because he found my copies of the Gigamix manga, his first response to the new collections was basically "Cool. But when's the one with the Stardroids coming out?"

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 26, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PinkoBastard posted:

good for him! i’m fine at standard Mega Man games but when i tried to play Zero a while back i really sucked at it. think i’m gonna grab that collection too and try to get through them.

Z1 is pretty bullshit, and Z2 is not much better. Z3 and 4 are still difficult, but not bullshit difficult. The Collection, though, is retaining the Casual mode from the DS collection of the Z games. And honestly? Just use it. It makes the first two games way, way less of a chore.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bouncing between Shin Megami Tensei, SMT: Nocturne, SMT: Strange Journey (the Redux version), and Digital Devil Saga.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Digital Devil Saga is one of the best JRPGs ever, what an amazing game

I quite like it, but I honestly think I like Nocturne more from that era of SMT games. Though, I like Strange Journey more than both.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Playing Final Fantasy IV for the millionth time. In this case, the PC version. I know some people had complaints about the DS/mobile/PC version, but I really like it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

sponges posted:

Has anyone ever played a Virtual Boy?

It gave me a massive headache, so I only did a few times before giving up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I love Harmony, but oof, the music is bad.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

It's not amazing, but it's good enough. Especially given some of the other 3D Castlevania games.

ETA:

And it's not bad looking when you doll up the graphics a tad

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 26, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Magical Vacation. I loved Magical Starsign, so we'll see how much I take to its predecessor.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I play Dragon Quest I several times a year because it's pretty much my gaming comfort food, and while I would absolutely suggest it to anyone interested in the history of JRPGs, I really wouldn't suggest it on its own merits anymore.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hmmm. Everything in my city is shutting down, and I have plenty of time to work through my mile long backlog of games I have bought and then not played. What will I start with??

*plays Mega Man X for the millionth time*

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Besides MMX again, though, I've been playing Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. A semi-forgotten PS2/GC/Xbox action-adventure game, until it suddenly got PC and Switch ports out of nowhere.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Playing Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne for about the millionth time. Specifically the (check out this word salad) Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition version. On top of it being one of my favorite games of all time in gameplay, I think it's visually held up really well in general.

Now, granted, that's with the graphics quite cleaned up through PCSX2, but even on the native hardware I think it looked good, and that they did a really good job of getting Kazuma Kaneko's style across in 3D.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Was in a Dragon Quest mood, so I'm playing Dragon Quest VIII instead of the first game for the billionth time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SNES version of Chrono Trigger. Specifically with a patch that basically goes "What if those nutters at Chrono Compendium had an editor that reined in the 'IT MUST BE AS LITERAL AS POSSIBLE'?"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm using this patch specifically.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Quiet Feet posted:

Finished Lufia 2 last night and thinking of what I want to pick up for my game night. Leaning Genesis or at least something Sega as I've spent a lot of time on Nintendo this year. Current candidates are

Eye of the Beholder - Sega CD
Blazing Heroes - Saturn
Lunar: Silver Star Story - PS1
Dragon Quest 8 - PS2
Faria - NES

And a heap of games for the Genesis like Traysia, Phantasy Star 3, Crusadsr of Centy and Arcus Odyssey

If a WD localization doesn't turn you off, Lunar.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The first Suikoden. Considering doing a run through of all five mainline games.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Playing Lunar, specifically the Silver Star Harmony remake.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I got my son Super Mario 3D All-Stars as a gift, and I've been putting some time into Super Mario Sunshine when he's not playing it. He of course decided to make me feel old by looking at the release year and going "That was 18 years ago!" I bought that game when it dropped.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

I remember when Sunshine came out and I thought "man I should play that!". I never ended up playing it.

If you've got a Switch, the collection is pretty bare bones, but worth it. 64 and Galaxy are both good, though Sunshine is divisive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Working through Illusion of Gaia when I'm not "Working the graveyard shift" passed out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The vampire boss in Illusion of Gaia is The Worst. Might stall out my playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Everytime someone replays Earthworm Jim they realize it was a bad game with fantastic art and the perfect 90s sensibilities.

Which is good because Doug TenNepal is a tremendous stain of a person

That was such a tremendous disappointment for me when I found it out a while ago. Not because of Earthworm Jim (never liked it), but because The Neverhood had been one of my favorite point-and-click games.