Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was going to do a playthrough of the Kirby games I hadn't touched earlier this year and got to N64 but got derailed for other things at the time. It didn't seem very long so I need to get back to it at some point.

The last retro game I played was probably something with my cousin. I know a couple weeks back we went through Turtles in Time again, I just have to find more stuff in his wheelhouse that he can play. I try to introduce him to RPGs, even relatively breezy ones, but he has programmed himself to skip all dialog in games like that because he used to powergame Pokemon games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I feel like none of the SotN imitations really hit the mark. Not even Bloodstained really hit the mark and that was made by the same director.

i mean, so were the ds games and 2 out of 3 of the gba ones.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have finally after many years beaten Shinobi III. I will say that while I was simply bad at it as a child I didn't really come back and give an earnest try on it until earlier this year where I hosed up on the final stage and didn't want to start over (I think it reset to the start of the stage if you don't make it to the boss?). Funnily enough I didn't have any problems on the beginning of the airship this time, just the pits in the mechagodzilla stage and the final gauntlet before the last boss.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

taking the opportunity to play the other genesis 3D game i bought on 3DS years ago with Ecco.

gently caress crabs and now trilobites

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Phantasium posted:

taking the opportunity to play the other genesis 3D game i bought on 3DS years ago with Ecco.

gently caress crabs and now trilobites

WELCOME TO THE MACHINE

no wonder i cheated as a kid, the game cheats

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

keep in mind illusion of gaia's manual just straight up tells you where the red jewels are so if you want to just look up a pdf and follow along it doesn't matter. none of them are hard to get they're just sometimes hard to find.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

backwards oval office rats

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think I actually got better at old platformers as I got older, I just got a lot more patient which has helped with completing them rather than just giving up at the first sign of struggle like I used to do as a kid.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wendell posted:

I vaguely remember the gaming magazines I read as a kid framing the inability to directly control the robots as a bad thing. Eventually a code came out that allowed you direct control, and the game was saved!

this sounds almost exactly with my dumb inexperience with ys back in the day

"oh the ds version lets you actually attack with a button, this game is saved and I can finally try it" <- *didn't actually understand a thing about the game or how it played*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, i just posted this in the main retro thread

Phantasium posted:

secret of mana's hitboxes are unclear because you can miss attacks and also enemies can dodge and defend them, however there's only barely an indicator in the latter part and none in the former. it's made more sense in like, the iOS version and the newer remake when they actually added "miss" indicators (although i had some caterpillar's hitbox like, completely disappear in the remake).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I didn't mind that version too much, I remember the new opening they made for it being pretty good.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

yes and it's a crime teleroboxer hasn't been made available somewhere else

also really remember loving galactic pinball when i rented the thing back in the 90s but during that brief period where i had the system used like ten years ago i could never get a copy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGsjXgnHBUo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's funny how little you need them once you've got the game down.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

There's Tomb Raider Anniversary but I'm not sure if that one is good or faithful to the original.

For the most part it's incredibly faithful to the parts you remember, and diligent about changing the bad stuff you've forgotten to be more slick.

I just didn't like that they added a bunch of traps to the Egypt levels and made the T-rex a centerpiece fight instead of just something you encounter organically with a "oh no, oh gently caress" reaction

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

yeah i missed that gimmick the first go around too.

of course that ends up not being as bad as going through half the level and then accidentally aggroing them in the middle of it and suddenly having a couple dozen guys on your rear end.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

I finally put Monster Tale in my DS and now know why the game's worth 45 dollars. It is extremely similar to Metroid, not so much that I would call it a clone but it definetly wears it's influence on its sleeve. On the top screen you are a girl exploring a platforming environment and getting upgrades, on the lower screen you are raising a pet monster who has his own set of abilities to help you progress through areas and beat enemies. I'm one of those weirdos who's lukewarm about Metroid so I am rather meh about this one but if you love the poo poo out of 2D exploration you'll love this game even if it's a bit simple. And that's why I suspect it's the Metroid faithful that have driven the price up so high. Try in an emulator, I don't think there are any touch screen controls to worry about, at least not so far.

I think the main problem with Monster Tale is that the metroidvania aspect is kinda tacked on. While there is a connected map and there is backtracking, there's never (or almost never) an actual alternate path, it's just oh, now I can go to the one area before that was blocked off by this that's halfway across the map. It's all the bad parts of the genre and few of the good.

Which is why it's nice that the core gameplay is good. If you like that also make sure you try Henry Hatsworth, the game they made before that, for a similar "there's something else going on on the bottom screen and also here's megaman x moves"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i have seen a master system only twice in my life, and i didn't know it existed until like halfway through the ps2-era, and even then i thought people were making poo poo up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

I "finished" Dragon Quarter and had a great time with it! Planning on playing at least one more time to see what the expanded knowledge cutscenes look like and try to get a better D-ratio. Very unique game in pretty much every aspect, does anybody know where this talent ended up going/doing? Because obviously they didn't keep making Breath of Fire games...

The same team went on to do Dead Rising, which is why you see a lot of shared concepts. And then they got taken off of it and I don't know where they ended up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh, i've never played dead rising either, but every time i mention that people who have go "oh wow that makes a lot of sense!" lol.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

Stumbled upon this SNES gem, which is basically Ace Combat, but on the SNES (and it looks incredible):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4Ne951gV4&t=110s

you know, i've seen this game in many contexts, on store shelves, in nintendo power, i think my brother even used to have the nintendo power card of it, but until now i've never seen any gameplay of it.

it needs the music from Lock-On badly, which is a game i always gave way more credit than it deserved based solely on the music the game opens with

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

castlevania iv second loop

ctrl-c, ctrl-v bats, bats everywhere

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i will never forget drawing a cock and balls for the opening drawing in magic pengel and having it bounce throughout the entire opening cutscene to introduce the land and characters.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

find a scan of the nintendo power issue that just has a map and use that one specifically for funsies

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

good luck with the fetch quests

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's a remake but it may as well be a completely different game.

Which is fine because somehow the original devs packed in so much bullshit into the original game and its four stages.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Electromax posted:

I replayed Tomb Raider III last month to make maps and a map video project about it. I had done TR1 and 2 over the last year as well.

My experience with TR3 is finally getting through TR1 a few years ago and loving it, getting to TR2 and hating the gun enemies but liking everything else, and then trying TR3, immediately getting hit by a bug that required me to use speedrun tech to beat a level, and saying gently caress it after some running puzzle.

apparently there's a monkey that can steal a key that you're meant to chase, but if you kill him right when he steals it the key doesn't drop and requires you to make a specific jump into a swamp so that you glitch under a gate.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i feel like I've seen a ton of people choose wait and avoid active atb like the plague, but for me a lot of fun i got out of the atb was trying to time my actions at the best time and occasionally failing.

replayed chrono trigger at max atb speed a couple years ago and managed to somewhat replicate that feeling.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

njsykora posted:

I have not played TR3 beyond the demo jail level but what I hear even from people who love the PS1 games is rage. Specifically about a mine cart and a giant spider so as far as I'm concerned its the worst game ever made.

My experience with TR3 after finally going back and beating 1 and 2 after liking them when I was younger, was playing one of the early jungle levels and finding out I was just going in a circle. I did this for a while trying to figure out what the hell I was actually supposed to do before finally giving up and looking it up. Turns out there's a monkey in the level that can steal the key you need to finish the level, and if you kill him right when he picks it up he doesn't drop it and you are just hosed (I didn't even see a key, making all the items actually 3D models meant I could never loving find them). Except you can actually do some speedrunner poo poo to get under the key door and finish the level. I tolerated that dumb bullshit just to see what was in the next level and was confronted with some dumbass chase thing that required perfect timing just to progress and eventually gave up.

I actually like TR2, the first and last levels are the best ones though. I wouldn't mind the emphasis on more combat if it involved something other than gun-toting enemies who hit scan shoot you from out of the PS1's draw distance the second they have line of sight with you, and also just spawn in stupidly sometimes. They eventually introduce dudes who throw knives at you that actually have a travel time which ends up being more fair, so it's stupid they only show up at the end.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Breath of Fire is one of their poorest performing franchises. Even the hacky mobile title tanked immensely.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's the level at the end, right? Honestly the revisit to China and the final levels were some of my favorites in the game, way less if any hitscan gun enemies to shoot me the instant they're loaded in.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly the main thing that bothered me about the combat in XS1 was that you only get a different battle theme for the final boss.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also I found out thanks to a streamer when it asks you to mash you can mash all the face buttons to make it easier on you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tenchu also has a few command moves you can do for attacks that aren't necessarily obvious if you don't have the manual or guide to look them up with. I'm not sure I knew when I played it as a kid that I could block by holding back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Note that Japanese Tenchu 1 is available in two versions, "Tenchu" and "Tenchu: Shinobi Gaisen"--the latter is the version everyone else got, re-translated back into Japanese, and is just as buggy, so is better avoided.

Searching for this is what made me discover there's a followup release that's just 100 stages that Japanese fans made with the level editor named Tenchu Shinobu Hyakusen.