Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I recently ordered a bunch of cheap Super Famicom carts from JP, and have recently been getting into the first Romancing SaGa. Yes, I know there's a remake, but the real draw for me is seeing how it played as an early SNES game. Graphically, the game looks similar to Final Fantasy IV which had come out a few months earlier. The gameplay feels closer to SaGa Frontier than it does to the first three games (aka Final Fantasy Legend). Like Frontier, it has enemies on the map which you encounter by running into, rather than the typical invisible "random battles" in Final Fantasy, but the path-finding is pretty laughable. You usually end up with a huge cluster of enemies on the other side of a wall or river, trying to go directly through the obstacle rather than moving to the door or bridge right next to them. It's really entertaining but also awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

the rat fandom posted:

Is the Master System version significantly different from the Game Gear version?

The answer to this question is pretty much always no. The Game Gear was pretty much a portable Master System (you could even get an adapter to play SMS games on GG though not vice-versa). However there were often minor differences between the SMS and GG versions like a music track here and there or slight graphical differences due to the screen resolution/size. In the case of Dragon Crystal, the translation is different but I believe it's the same otherwise.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I don't remember climbing being a problem in SMB2 either. I only played the SNES and GBA ports of it though, maybe it was worse in the NES original?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

AVGN's whole thing is bashing games and it's not meant to be taken seriously. A lot of the games he covers aren't really all that bad, but it's harder to make a comedy video out of "this game is mediocre and dated in many ways" than "everything about this game sucks, what were they thinking"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Just finished a play-through of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS (last time I played it was about a decade ago). I'm pretty mediocre at platformers, so it's a good fit for me. It's fun, it controls well (unless you get the shell powerup), and you can find almost everything in the game without a guide. If you're good at platformers, it might be a little too lightweight.

Shibawanko posted:

The baby cries never bothered me really, I was kind of surprised people hated it so much

Did they? I've never heard anything other than endless gushing about how great of a game Yoshi's Island is. Personally I'm not a fan (and yeah, the baby crying is part of the reason), but I do get that it's unique and scratches an itch that I don't think any other game really does - I just don't personally have that itch.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Decided to get REALLY retro today.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah my dad used to have Tomb Raider 2 and he'd save his game before every jump. It's not a game I'd go back to, there were good parts, but the platforming was just too much of a problem.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Golden Axe Warrior is one of the more noteworthy Master System games and has a bit of a cult following. It's also one of the rarest and most expensive games for the system.

However, for context: it came out in 1991. This was the last year any Master System games were released in North America. Sure, it had improvements over Zelda 1, but that was a five-year-old game at this point. The Genesis was already on the market, with the SNES and A Link to the Past both right around the corner. So yeah, it was on a relatively obscure system and came out way too late.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hot Stunt posted:

There are a couple of things that Zelda does better. You can only equip one item at a time in GAW, compared to Zelda's one item plus sword. Also you have to backtrack through dungeons once you've beaten them instead of being teleported out, which is kinda lame.

Also music. Golden Axe Warrior doesn't sound terrible for an 8-bit game, but the tunes aren't very fun or memorable.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Quiet Feet posted:

In the middle of Suikoden.

Somebody at Konami really liked vampires didn't they?

I don't want to spoil anything but yes

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Haha, I'm in the opposite situation with Tetris, where I'm used to playing older versions, and playing something new I tend to screw it up by accidentally tapping up when I'm trying to rotate and the piece lands somewhere I emphatically do not want it to be

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

A lot of newer ones do let you turn it off so check out options next time.

oh I know but :effort:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've been playing through the Breath of Fire series since I really only played a little bit of 3 as a kid. I did the first two on Switch, and they're pretty rough games but have some unique features and enough charm that I still enjoyed them. 3 is a massive improvement and genuinely a great game so far (I'm up to the Contest of Champions). I picked up copies of 3, 4 and Dragon Quarter so I'm playing them on the real hardware.

I really like the direction they went in for 3's soundtrack. Some of the music is boring, but the battle themes are all really strong and unlike most other RPG music I've heard (I particularly love Donden).

4 has a good reputation but I never really got into that game.

rujasu fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 29, 2020

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Not even watching a video is enough to convey the awfulness, it's really one of those things where first-hand experience is the only way to understand just how loving horrible that game is to play.

As much as I like Tomb Raider II, by about the midpoint it invariably has me tearing my hair out and saving way too often to be a comfortable journey. It's a great adventure/exploration title but it's so easy to loving die due to sudden traps and/or surprise attacks alone, never mind the leaping around over chasms/spikes/lava/sawblades etc.. I went through it about 18 months ago and at one point was endlessly cursing the level design & complete lack of texture variety, because dying at the drop of a hat wasn't bad enough; I had to be lost (while swimming around) too!

Yeah the main thing I remember about the game is saving before literally every jump. You'd be a hair off or the camera would move while you were in the air, and you would either die or have to redo half the level to get back to the place you wanted to jump. I never want to do that again.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thousand Arms - A JRPG I've never heard anyone mention, despite being released in NA.

I've never played it, but I remember it getting attention when it first came out for being the first game to combine RPG and dating sim (or at least it was a new thing in NA) but it didn't seem to have much of a rep for being a good game aside from the novelty.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Since we're on the topic of lesser-known early 90's D&D settings, I've been playing Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Genesis and casually messing around with speedrunning it (one of the few RPG's you can easily run in under an hour). It's based on Basic D&D from 1992 (unusual for a game from that era to not be based on AD&D) and takes place in Mystara/Hollow World. The game has its faults, but I do think it's fun & charming and does well with the story and setting.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Barudak posted:

Just played Shadows Over Mystara and Tower of Doom and boy these games are way, way, way worse than I remember them.

I just picked these games up, as I've always had some interest in trying them out, and the two-pack of them is currently $5 on Steam.

Playing these without any personal nostalgia goggles on - they're certainly worth $5 if you enjoy the idea of an arcade beat-em-up based on 90's D&D. If you just want to play any retro beat-em-up and don't particularly care what the setting is, there are dozens of such games I'd recommend playing before them with better controls, less frustrating fights, etc. but they certainly aren't bad games. I'm satisfied with the purchase, it scratches an itch.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I'd argue that a lot of Coleco/Intellivision/Odyssey2 games hold up better than the 2600 stuff, but not many people actually had those systems or remember them. And yeah, the crash of '83 happened for a reason; the 2600 had a ton of shovelware, and people just lost interest in those early games after a while and it never really came back in a big way. There's more nostalgia for actual arcade stuff from that era, because that's where the better games were.

Booourns posted:

For me it was hearing Nirvana on the classic rock radio stations

We're what, a year or two from Nickelback showing up on those now?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Sally posted:

- biggest bummer for me is i dont dig the music. it doesnt hit as well for me as SNES JRPGs.

The first two games in the series had a different, and frankly better, composer. The first two games have good soundtracks that I like a lot. PSIII sounds like complete rear end, but to be fair the new composer had one month to write the whole thing. So I respect getting a complete soundtrack together with not nearly enough time, but that doesn't mean it's good. She did a better job on PSIV, it's a solid soundtrack but not one of my favorites. Some of this is on the Genesis not having as good of a sound chip as the SNES, but I also wonder if part of it was Sega not investing more time or better composers on their non-Sonic games during that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Late era NES rocked. Kirby's Adventure should not have been possible on that system.

I always like it when developers just squeeze everything the system can produce with wild abandon. Every console's final years are always a treat to behold and compare with launch titles. Like the OG Ridge Racer and Vagrant Story both being considered hardware showstoppers, just six years apart.

My favourite of these has always been the Super Nintendo, which had games like Street Fighter Alpha 2, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Front Mission Gun Hazard and even Winter Gold which has no business looking like it does on 1991 hardware. Just look at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HR8_0z8nwM

My favorite example of this is Street Fighter II' for the Sega Master System in Brazil. Is it good, or worth playing, let alone owning? Not really, but:

1. It's Street Fighter II on a Sega loving Master System.

2. It only got made because the company doing the port pranked Capcom into believing it was a Genesis game, and then were like "OK now what if we told you this is on Master System?" https://www.seganerds.com/2016/08/19/street-fighter-ii-for-master-system-made-possible-because-of-a-joke/