Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
A thread to share cool retro games you've been playing. Maybe we'll find things that we also want to play along the way!

I'm currently playing King's Field 2 (1 in the US, but it's the second game in Japan) after beating King's Field 4 The Ancient City on the PS2. It's a fully 3D dungeon crawler with a pretty big map with a lot of twisting areas and secrets to unravel. Combat is bad, but the exploration is so good that I don't mind it. I beat KF1, then skipped to 4 cause I thought I'd get bored, but now I just want more dungeon crawling action :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWSBYUPWMk0

Man, this is so much faster than KF4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonatrix posted:

Huh, odd coincidence. I started Shadow Tower last night. Not sure I like the control scheme much, but I'll probably get used to it before too long.

What makes me feel worse is that I kinda got fuckin' owned by the first enemy I came across that's like sentient grass or something? Couldn't angle it so I could hit it at all, so I just ran. From grass. :v:

Oh yeah, the control in these games aren't great. You gotta look down and attack real close sometimes depending on the weapon and enemy for the hit to register. You can just start an attack and then get closer to the enemy if you're not sure about the distance. I haven't beaten Shadow Tower yet, I played it once before but I'm gonna try it again after I'm done with the KF games.

Dying from those slimes early on is totally normal. Also, did you fall off and die right at the start of the game? I love how this is a thing that can happen in these games right at the start lol

edit: Don't forget to mash confirm/X near walls to find out secret passages as well

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 23, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

The King's Field series are such great games, you can tell the similarities between it and the Souls games since they're both made by From Software.

Right? Sometimes a change in perspective is all you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8nb45F-v8

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I recently started playing Worms Armageddon (PC version, my favorite game of all time) again after almost a year off to enter a tournament (that I'm losing badly - the skill ceiling is stratospheric).

Didn't know this was a thing I wanted to see until you mentioned it. Will this tournament be streamed? High-level Worms sounds incredible.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

the rat fandom posted:

I'm making my way through the Genesis Collection on Switch and its surprising how strongly I feel towards a lot of the games in the collection. Fatal Labyrinth looks like a follow up to Dragon Crystal on the Game Gear (which I think is a top tier gg game), but I'm really not enjoying it at all. I also really hated Beyond Oasis, which is disappointing because I was certain I was going to love it.

On the other hand, I never played Dynamite Headdy or Comix Zone before and they own.

I got hooked on Dragon Crystal and played it a lot on a Master System emulator, and now I wanna play it again thanks to your post lol. I recall playing Fatal Labyrinth once for a bit but from what I played I still preferred Dragon Crystal. I think it feels faster to me than Fatal Labyrinth, at least from what I remember. Beyond Oasis never clicked for me either.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Tried going back to Dragon Crystal today and god loving damnit, I forgot how annoying some of the later enemies are in that game. Every enemy in the late-game has some sort of negative effect that has a chance of triggering after they attack you. Like levelling you down, dropping your strength, rusting your weapon, rusting your armor... And the worst part is that it's not a temporary thing or that can happen just once per enemy. It can happen, several times, per enemy. I still think it's a great game but it's frustrating as gently caress, got to level 26 out of 30.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dash Rendar posted:

weird. i just started playing this last week and also dont know why

Subtle chinese brainwashing to get you hype about Diablo 4 and forget about Hong Kong!!!!!!!!!!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

After turning in a difficult assignment, I felt I deserved to unwind a bit with some pointless 16 bit fishing so I played Shigesato Itoi's Bass Fishing No. 1. It's a surprisingly realistic looking fishing game for the SNES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KwTtDtghGs

I dunno how I did it, but after sitting through the endless visual novel style explanation and introduction I actually did manage to catch a 1kg largemouth bass. I felt like I can now say that I completed the game.

...There's a Shigesato Itoi fishing game? :aaa:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Started playing Way of the Samurai 1 on hard and man, I might be trying to bite more than I can chew. Did the tutorials too even.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing the Way of the Samurai series, and I've been enjoying them quite a bit, anyone here play them? Currently playing 4, but 1 and 3 were my favorites so far. If the first game had the option to skip cutscenes I'd put it at the top no doubt.

After playing them though I started to imagine what a samurai game done by Rockstar would be like.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing OutRun through Canonball, which is a rewrite of the original engine with some added features. Man, I forgot how hard this game is, has anyone here beaten OutRun? Any tips?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I finally gave in and started playing the first Gabriel Knight game after years of postponing it. I can't get over how hilarious Gabriel sounds. It's definitely not what I was expecting him to sound like. It's like he's trying to seduce everyone including his grandma. "Just tell me... anything at all..."

I'm not a fan of the Sierra-style interface/verbs for interacting with things though. Why are there like 3 options for interacting (pick up, open, interact(?)) instead of a simple use/interact command that contextually changes? :psyduck:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dell_Zincht posted:

Beneath a Steel Sky for the hundredth time, in anticipation of the sequel.

I visited Revolution's offices in York recently and met Charles Cecil. He's a thoroughly likeable chap and didn't mind me hammering him with Broken Sword questions :)

gently caress, I did not know that a sequel was coming, this is awesome.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Replaying Soul Reaver after a long time without doing it and I'm reminded of just how many block puzzles there are in this game. I mean, not like they're hard, they're just tedious.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing Carnage Heart for the PS1 and I didn't expect to get so into this game as I have, but I've been playing it nonstop for almost for a week now. It's a a very deep strategy game where you have to build your own bots, choosing the body type (biped, tank, quads), weapons, armor, CPU, optional stuff and whatnot, each with their own quirks and setbacks. The catch is that you don't control them but instead you have to actually program them using chips with determined actions on a grid so they'll fight on their own. You have several chips for movement, attacking, enemy, projectiles, and other types of radar detection, where you have to specify radius, degrees, etc, with conditional checks and even radio color signals and variables to add, set, subtract, etc to use as counter or whatever you need them for. But your grid size is limited, and certain CPUs might afford you more space with or without processing speed tradeoffs, or they just might be more expensive to buy/produce.

And that's just the beginning cause once you have made something that won't walk up to the enemy and die or shoot your teamates in the back you gotta assemble the unit, which is 3 bots. To assemble the unit you have to produce them in one of the bases you own, and this might take a few turns depending on the bots and the level of your production line (you can have several lines, but the more you produce the more cash you'll need). Also you have to produce your ammo too! You might also want to buy newer equiment from the stores, where you can also pay them to develop new tech (if there's any) or hear any information that may help you. The game is turn-based, except for battles which you get to watch the bots duke it out in real time. After making the bots you have to assemble the unit and send them out there to move, patrol, capture or defend bases. If an enemy unit meets yours in the map a battle will start.

Honestly I think it's a pretty great game. The second disc alone is an almost 30 minute video tutorial on how to play the game, divided by chapters and with seek options, it's incredible. I even uploaded the entire thing just so I could show a friend, since I couldn't find a video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euu4GDSrYYg

There's other games in the series too and I'm curious to try them out later.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

I've always wanted to get into carnage heart because it seems so intimidating. Such a wild looking game

I'm having a blast figuring out the ways to optimize the AI and use less space as possible. It's quite addictive imo, you should give it a try!

PinkoBastard posted:

This looks awesome! looks kind of like a spiritual successor to Super Metal Crusher for Turbografx-16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16p9eeeQsa4

Didn't know about this one, thanks. I wonder how far back the "program your own machines to fight" game concept goes.

Wendell posted:

I vaguely remember the gaming magazines I read as a kid framing the inability to directly control the robots as a bad thing. Eventually a code came out that allowed you direct control, and the game was saved!

I did see that cheat code but I'd feel that it would ruin a lot of the fun, but it's nice that it's there as an option, even if hidden.

EDIT:

:eyepop:

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 5, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

It's not amazing, but it's good enough. Especially given some of the other 3D Castlevania games.

ETA:

And it's not bad looking when you doll up the graphics a tad

I like Curse of Darkness quite a bit, but it's a shame the level design sucks. It ain't called Corridorvania for no reason. The entire OST kicks rear end though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiXCote6N6s

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm playing the original Tomb Raider again OH GOD NO WHY AM I DOING THIS LARA HANDLES LIKE A COW IN A SHOPPING CART oh look i've slipped off a ledge and died AGAIN

I was playing the first one some time ago as well and I just stopped playing after completing the first 2 or 3 areas. I got used to the controls eventually but it's not something you want to go back to frequently. I was never a big Tomb Raider fan too, so rip. There's Tomb Raider Anniversary but I'm not sure if that one is good or faithful to the original.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
All this discussion of Tomb Raider 2 made go watch a video to remember what it was like and one of the comments was "This game is the reason I have anxiety". drat.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing Knights of the Crystallion for the Amiga thanks to this post:

The Kins posted:

The other game I found was Knights of the Crystallion, a truly one-of-a-kind simulation of a society living inside the bones of a long-dead titanic creature, developed by a deeply-religious one-man team with cystic fibrosis. I pointed my friend Shadsy at it, and he wrote about it far better than I possibly could.

I might as well ask here, but is this game... beatable? Do you hatch a crystallion and the game ends or does it continue? I finished the first veil a while ago.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

rujasu posted:

Golden Axe Warrior is one of the more noteworthy Master System games and has a bit of a cult following. It's also one of the rarest and most expensive games for the system.

However, for context: it came out in 1991. This was the last year any Master System games were released in North America. Sure, it had improvements over Zelda 1, but that was a five-year-old game at this point. The Genesis was already on the market, with the SNES and A Link to the Past both right around the corner. So yeah, it was on a relatively obscure system and came out way too late.

That explains it. I live in a country where the Master System was quite popular (new versions are still being made and sold here) and I've never actually heard of Golden Axe Warrior. Are there any significant improvements over OG Zelda?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to play Prince of Persia Warrior Within on a whim, and also cause it's the only one of the Ubisoft PoP games that I didn't beat. I remember playing it when I was younger but the sudden change in tone and aesthetic was so jarring to me that I never bothered playing it much. I booted it up this time, put it on hard mode, cause eh, why not, and holy gently caress do some of these enemies take forever to kill now :stare: There's an enemy early on in the game that is made of a bunch of crows and it takes a solid 2+ minutes of wailing on him to end the first phase, whereas in normal mode it takes less than 20 seconds. What the hell?

Typing this also made me realize that I never beat Prince of Persia The Shadow and the Flame cause I played the horrible SNES port first, I should probably rectify that at some point.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Replayed and finished Prince of Persia Sands of Time in one sitting today after finishing Warrior Within yesterday, and yep, this game still holds up incredibly well. Sands of Time is so much better than WW that it's not even a competition. RIP Prince of Persia :smith:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

The third game was fun and the reboot was real good. The other reboot was also supposedly good too but I didnt play it.

But yeah RIP forever

I'm glad they realized their mistake with Warrior Within and tried to balance things with Two Thrones. I liked PoP 2008's art style but that was it really, maybe I'll replay that someday to get a fresh take on it. Forgotten Sands was very ok, at least the PS3/360/PC version, I know the Wii version is completely different but I never played that one but I plan to change that soon.

edit: wow, uh, Forgotten Sands Wii is weirdly similar to PoP 2008 conceptually, you got the weird magical lost kingdom that got corrupted, a helpful girl/genie who helps you out and introduces a mechanic that prevents your death, orbs to collect, and you even got a gauntlet that lets you slide down surfaces just like in PoP 2008 :crossarms:

sponges posted:

Is Prince of Persia dead?

It's been pretty much dead since AssCreed came out. Ironically enough the first Assassin's Creed was supposed to be a PoP game where you were the Prince's guard/protector, but they changed it to a new IP and it ended up making Ubisoft a lot of money, turning Ubisoft into the company we now know today.
Assassin's Creed was a mistake

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 30, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've returned to the Prince of Persia games and started The Shadow and the Flame (DOS version) and holy poo poo this game is loving hard :stare:

The characters in the cutscenes still give me the creeps, I blame my first experience with this being the weird SNES port.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing Phantom Dust again cause every time I play a CCG I remember it and get an urge to play it. It does have its flaws, (namely being that the game is balanced around 2v2 and by extension 1v1 and battle royale suck) but it's such a cool game, and it makes me so mad that Microsoft killed the new one, and it's such a shame that the online is a ghost town most of the time, cause there really is nothing like it out there. The game was really ahead of its time imo.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Stumbled upon this SNES gem, which is basically Ace Combat, but on the SNES (and it looks incredible):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4Ne951gV4&t=110s

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Been playing the OG Front Mission for the SNES with the english translation. I'm not very used to SRPGs, but it really bothers me how sometimes you have great stats with a weapon type, the weapon has more than 80 hit-rate, and you've got good arms with a good Hit value and shots just misses sometimes :cripes:. Seems like there's a PS2 SRPG called Ring of Red that lets you aim your shots but I'm not sure if it's good or has customization like Front Mission.

It also reminds me that I got pretty far in Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen but stopped playing it. I should go back to that sometime.

Dash Rendar posted:

I am played RE4 for the first time. I tried it years ago on the PS2 and bounce hard off of it because I couldn't cope with the controls and never came back to it (i had only made it as far as the opening village attack and bell).

I remember seeing RE4 when it came out and had a knee-jerk reaction of "this isn't RE!!!!" but I got over it and ended up liking it quite a bit. Shame what happened to the series after that for a while, so I still kinda blame it.

Re: Chrono Trigger DS, didn't version had some sort of monster minigame thing? I remember doing the extra dungeons (which are bad) but I don't remember what that other minigame was about.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Chrono Trigger's bad ending when you fail to beat Lavos is a powerful thing. I remember losing to him as a kid cause I tried fighting him at the earliest opportunity using the End of Time bucket and I certainly did not expect there to be some sort of special cutscene after. As a small dumb kid back then, I don't think there was ever a game that inspired me to actually beat it as hard as CT did after that.

And yeah the DS stuff sucks.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

I never liked how little control you have over parts targeting. Coupled with the random proccing of computer abilities (in FM3, anyway), there's just too much rng for something so vital to the outcome of battles, imo. I suppose the idea is to account for that in your strategy, but I didn't enjoy it.

Yeah, there's way more RNG than I'd like too tbh. Don't know about the others, but even the skills leveling up in Front Mission 1 are random, according to the Nintendo DS version manual. I really do like the setting and the story so far however.

Also I did not expect that a melee fighter would end up being such a beast (Gregorio).

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Started Front Mission 2 after beating the first, and there's definitely improvements already, the game has a tutorial section in the main menu screen and teaches basic and advanced stuff fairly well which is pretty cool. The change to 3D battle scenes looks nice but it has the very unfortunate side effect of having long load screens to transition into them from the map itself. The quick battle option is there so you don't have to see the 3D scene but it doesn't show which parts of the wanzers are being damaged, and that really sucks.

The fan translation is weird cause it's not actually complete, there's many scenes that are still in JP (plus the FMVs), so they included a complete english script .txt file. I guess they couldn't fit all the english text into the ROM somehow?

Edit: drat the engrish in the JP stuff is strong

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 23, 2020

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

When you play FM3 be aware there are two entire, completely distinct story campaigns based on a decision you make at the very start of the game but that most of your time will be spent trawling the in-universe internet for secrets.

Good to know, I haven't bothered looking at the internet stuff in FM2 too much cause the script has all the relevant info sections on recent things/characters.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vlaphor posted:

Fired up some EVO: The Search For Eden on the SNES last night and played some more today. I used to love that game as a kid...and now I'm realizing that the vast majority of that games length and content is grinding. I guess I was more forgiving of it as a kid, but the gameplay flow is just wander into a new 2 screen area, kill animals until you can level up, and move on.

I'm still entering a kind of zen like experience when I play it and I've just gotten to world 3...but I may not be continuing.

I actually beat it less than a month ago due to viewing a stream and decided to beat it. I had played it when I was a kid but it didn't really grab me. It's a cool game in concept but the gameplay is very lacking and boring. I don't think it's worth beating it tbh. There's the prequel game too, I wonder if that's any better.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Replaying Blood Omen on PC with a recent patch is a great way to experience/re-experience the game. Higher quality sounds, Xinput support, 60 fps, running the game in any resolution (including windowed mode), including even different languages for the voices and subtitles somehow as well, which don't even exist in the normal game. Definitely the definitive version. This is the patch if anyone's interested.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Finished up Front Mission 2. The second-to-last mission is really tense, I loved it. I had my wanzers dropping left and right, it felt really dramatic. It was also nice how Royd Clive returned but unfortunately he was very crazy now. The saddest part to me was how easy the fight against them were, and it was a side mission even. Royd made some bad decisions man :smith:

And then I got the strangest sudden urge to play Fight Night 2004, the first game in the series. I really forgot how fun these games were and after all these years it still gets me pumped up. The knockout ragdolls are still hilarious too, so that's nice. Beat the career mode for the first time ever and man, fighting Ali is goddamn tiring. As it should be!

I'm not big on sports games, but this seems like a series that should maybe return (like EA Skate, bring it back you cowards)? Or is there a newer equivalent already?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm replaying the Legacy of Kain games and now that I've gotten to Defiance I remembered how fun the combat in this game is. It's not quite Devil May Cry, but there's a definite inspiration there with the way you can do all sorts of moves, aerial juggles, jump cancels and whatnot. One of Raziel's moves looks suspiciously like Dante's million stabs even. Telekinesis adds a lot of fun to the combat with how you can just grab people and just throw them wherever, fire, water, spikes, chasms, and all that good stuff.

Can we get a Soul Reaver remake at least Square-Enix? Please? :sigh:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Neat timing, I just recently decided to finally check out the Legacy of Kain series, starting with Blood Omen for PSX (which I'm now hearing... I don't need to play? and it's not like the rest of them, really?) Anyway, I kinda like it, and am looking forward to seeing the series evolve if I can keep my attention span fuckin' bolted on long enough.

I recommend the PC version of Blood Omen with this patch if you're gonna play the game, cause the PSX version isn't great and is filled with loadings. With this patch you can run the game in newer Windows versions with no issues, get pretty much no loadings, run the game at higher resolutions, 60fps, subtitles, better audio, etc. But unfortunately you can't really get the PC version from GOG or anywhere so the only option is :filez:

The later games do a good job of recapping the Blood Omen events so if you want to skip it it's not a problem either.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

LionEyez posted:

I've been playing Ring of Red (PS2, 2001). On paper it's a game I should love; alternate history post-WWII Japan featuring clunky mechs ('AFWs' in game) with WWII style turrets. Immediately reminded me of Front Mission but more grounded in reality.

Nice, I was actually planning on playing Ring of Red after finishing up the Front Mission games but I got sidetracked by other stuff

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying to remember a game I played on the PS2 forever ago, and I finally found and played it yesterday: McFarlane's Evil Prophecy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOiESnaGgRo

Holy loving poo poo this game is terrible. I might beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Trying out Graffiti Kingdom for the PS2. The gimmick in this game is that you can draw creatures that your character can transform into.

I made this creature that I named SNAKEDOG. It doesn't have legs, only gigantic arms and a snake body. My idea was that the arms would move everything, but I guess the game had a different interpretation.

So it walks like this. Maybe I should have set the arms to be legs instead, but this is fine too. It punches good!

This is a sequel to a game called Magic Pengel for the PS2 as well, but Magic Pengel is more like Pokemon with turn-based rock-paper-scissors battles instead of being an action-adventure game like this one.