Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EDIT: Wrong thread! Duh!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, Kemco made games that aren't low-effort RPGMaker asset flips? I'm confused.
Back in the day they did a lot of ports of western computer games like Hostages/Rescue The Embassy Mission, Spy Vs Spy, the Macventure games (Uninvited, Deja Vu, Shadowgate)...

They also did a good few licensed puzzle platformers, often with different licenses depending on region!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Big Scary Owl posted:

Subtle chinese brainwashing to get you hype about Diablo 4 and forget about Hong Kong!!!!!!!!!!
If Blizzard had brainwashing powers, they'd use them to make people forget about Hellfire. They didn't work on that expansion, and they hate it and basically had to be pressured into adding it to the GOG release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flannelette posted:

I remember the SW:redux being a bit buggy too might be better to run it in dosbox with original file or a source port.
Both SW: Redux and every source port built to date are based on a source code release from 2005 or thereabouts. At that time, the full source code to the released game had been lost so the source code release was kind of patched together from what they had left. As a result, a few things aren't in as good a state as in the original release. (Saving is buggy, for one, and multiplayer basically doesn't exist)

The proper retail code was re-exhumed in February, so we'll see if anything comes of that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dash Rendar posted:

no loving way. seriously?

haha, holy poo poo, i used to rent this game from Blockbuster multiple times, no instruction manual, and bashed my head against the wall again and again over not being able to find them.

:negative:
They included a full strategy guide for the game in the manual. About the only thing it doesn't cover is the final dungeon and the bonus dungeon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I never had it as a kid, so I've never really played it beyond the first five minutes while looking through ROM lists, but I gave Robotron 64 a serious crack tonight and basically fell into a trance. Ended up Game-Over-ing on Wave 76 of... 200, I think? Struth. Pretty great dual-stick shooter, utterly ugly as sin but I suppose it had to be in order to work on the consoles of the day.

Also, the music goes unexpectedly HAM at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlf7TxJfkqM

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

woofbro posted:

Honestly, I’m surprised nobody’s made a indie game inspired from ActRaiser.
ACE Team (Zeno Clash, Rock of Ages) tried and failed with SolSeraph.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dreams to Reality is rather odd.

https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1370713663334539264

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

No wonder I've never heard of this, PC only except for a random European only PS1 port.
I gave the PS1 port a poke, it's basically an entirely different game, and certainly not a better one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Payndz posted:

Edit: one of them works! Sometimes. It's a decent port - fast, reasonably smooth, plays well enough even with the Jag's controller. The weird thing is that the sprites seem not to scale as well as the ones in Wolfenstein; I guess JagWolf had new assets drawn, while this stuck to the original, lower-res ones.
Yeah, JagDoom uses the original assets, but the renderer has half the horizontal resolution of the PC game so things can look a bit chunkier. Also a lot of the levels have been heavily edited - less textures, less geometric complexity, sometimes whole chunks are deleted. The Doom Wiki has a perhaps slightly too detailed article on what's different from the PC game, bless 'em.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sally posted:

tried OG Tomb Raider for the first time. bit rough around the edges but enjoyable... not a fan of the save options. so i booted up Anniversary for the first time too. i dig it.

but i would also like to finish the original. any good quality of life mods out there?
The Automated Fix removes the need for DOSbox and adds hardware accelerated graphics running at any resolution, proper widescreen support, a nice launcher to choose between the base game and expansion pack, and so on.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

After The War posted:

Does anyone remember what the loading screens on the original PC version were like? It came out only a few weeks after 9/11, so they probably didn't have time to jam a bunch of :911:, but goddamn are the PS2 ones ridiculous. Flags upon flags upon flags, no wonder the Nazis recognize the BJ is American as soon as they see him. It's probably aged worse than the Elite SS Dominatrix Assassin Squad, and that's... saying something, really. Especially with what I've heard about New Order acknowledging our lovely past and how the Nuremberg Laws were patterned after Jim Crow. It's just crazy to see that poo poo played straight in a game with the aforementioned dominatrices, undead demon knights, and rocket planes.
The PC version combines the load screen and objective screens into one relatively non-grandiose entity. Pardon the Youtube screenshot:

They keep the patriotism for the title screen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also for the Japanese-Band-Games file: Stolen Song, a single-button FMV rhythm game starring Tomoyasu Hotei.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wish Tenchu got a new game or at least a remaster or something. I feel like the series never reached its true potential.
IIRC Sekiro started as something along those lines before becoming very different.

Re: Quake Saturn. That version replaced all the secret maps with new ones for technical reasons, but if you don't want to deal with the weird Slavedriver engine stuff on the real hardware, someone recently ported them over to the PC game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also, I'm now really jonsing for some more 3D, first person dungeon crawlers. But I'm not really a fan of the turn based/grid based kind. Looking for stuff more like UU, or even King's Field (could never get into those though :( ). Any suggestions?
Arx Fatalis started life as Ultima Underworld 3 before going its own route because they couldn't score the license.