Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I legit do Kart racing and I gotta say this app is closer to a slot machine than actual kart racing. Still fun and me and coworkers have been competing on the scores for the weekly rankings. Let’s discuss the hot strategies that doesn’t involve being one of those rear end in a top hat gently caress lords that pay for gold pass and beat my score.

Add me up 🙄

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!
Sure, why not?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

sure why not

ive been waffling on doing the free trial gold pass and havent pulled the trigger. probably wait until next tour since i already got dry bowser

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

My id is 4943 0926 1340

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

big trivia FAIL posted:

ive been waffling on doing the free trial gold pass and havent pulled the trigger. probably wait until next tour since i already got dry bowser

I did it since I needed dry bowser. The rewards store up so I think the thing to do is time it to get the back end of one tour and start of another. It was useful for getting a decent base of drivers and karts but I would struggle to see why the hell you would pay that ludicrous amount for such small rewards.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

the kentucky quid posted:

I did it since I needed dry bowser. The rewards store up so I think the thing to do is time it to get the back end of one tour and start of another. It was useful for getting a decent base of drivers and karts but I would struggle to see why the hell you would pay that ludicrous amount for such small rewards.

yeah it looks like the rule of thumb is to activate it on the next-to-last day of each 2 week tour, so it looks like it'll be tuesday after next for me.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Add me!
I'll make all your wildest dreams come true.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I suck but add me anyway:

6613 3662 9836

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Is it true that you eventually hit a paywall and you HAVE to pay to play? My GF was a big fan but quit abruptly because it said she basically had to buy the gold pass subscription.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Robokomodo posted:

Is it true that you eventually hit a paywall and you HAVE to pay to play? My GF was a big fan but quit abruptly because it said she basically had to buy the gold pass subscription.

Not exactly. Gold makes it easier to get stars and go up tiers. Not sure if you'll hit a soft tier limit as a F2P competing with Gold Pass players. She may have hit a player level limit. There are daily limits to coins and EXP as well, but you can play all the races with F2P.

They have been getting more aggressive with advertising though.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 23, 2019

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The game is playable without paying, but paying certainly gives an advantage.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Add me! My ID is 074136110071.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Robokomodo posted:

You can play all the tracks without the Gold Pass, but you won't get as many karts, gliders, or characters, so you'll be at a disadvantage in the weekly score contest. Oh, and you don't have 200cc, which might put you at a further disadvantage. There's no paywall, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
1221 4326 6704 is my code if anyone wants another Goonpanion

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

MK Tour: 4336 3195 6256

I'll have to go back and add everyone later. I got first place in the first league. 13th in this one. The free/ paid power gap is real. Still a fun diversion.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
I think I got lucky with some of my loot boxes, but I've hit 1st on each league so far and hadn't spent anything yet, other than the Gold Pass free trial.

However, my infantile desire to continue getting 1st place kicked in, so last night I shelled out $4.99 for Gold Pass to get the rewards I was going to miss from the league that was ending. I regret it.

Also, I only use the default steering controls since I can't seem to do anything right with the drift bouncing controls.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

DeePee posted:

I think I got lucky with some of my loot boxes, but I've hit 1st on each league so far and hadn't spent anything yet, other than the Gold Pass free trial.

However, my infantile desire to continue getting 1st place kicked in, so last night I shelled out $4.99 for Gold Pass to get the rewards I was going to miss from the league that was ending. I regret it.

Also, I only use the default steering controls since I can't seem to do anything right with the drift bouncing controls.

It just takes practice. I had to play about a dozen races before I got the hang of it. You can get ultra mini-boosts. If you can find a track with a lot of curves at the same angle consecutively, or a long stretch of road, you can drift while going forward. That’s pure points.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Unless you have the top drivers/cars/riders for certain courses, it's extremely difficult if not impossible to 5-star some of them. I've even purposely slowed down to hit people with question block attacks, pink powerslide combos while hitting ramps, and still coming in first, but will still end up a few hundred shy of 5-stars.

Try to use the combinations that get you the most points at the beginning of the race. You need to get as many drivers and cars as possible as soon as you can, otherwise you'll have to grind out boxes to get drivers you need. I haven't spent a dime yet, but I've definitely hit a road block.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Yeah, late-tour tracks are basically impossible to five-star if you don't have the right combo. It really sucks how much the game emphasizes setup over skill, since it makes your performance in a race feel largely meaningless and precludes everyone except uberwhales from getting 100% tour completion (i.e. all stars--if you have the Gold Pass and some time, it's not that hard to get all the boxes).

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Elephant Parade posted:

performance in a race feel largely meaningless and precludes everyone

It literally stops becoming about being in 1st place and becomes about hitting a certain point level in order to advance. You can just set your phone on the table in 50cc and still make first.

All I want to do is collect racers, and race against other humans, maybe have some pvp matches. Any word on of that's on the horizon?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, when is that multiplayer happening?

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Here's my code: 1955 6148 3539. I'll get that "add 3 friends" grand star finally.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

This may be a strange question but...are we actually playing against real players? The time between watching the course layout and just clicking through to just get to the screen just before the race starts seems significant that it feels like you wouldn't be racing people in real time.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

This may be a strange question but...are we actually playing against real players? The time between watching the course layout and just clicking through to just get to the screen just before the race starts seems significant that it feels like you wouldn't be racing people in real time.

you're playing against real player names but bot controlled drivers

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My game crashes whenever I try to add a friend, so I’ll never complete all the challenges. Wooooo

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The $5 pass seems to make it so you have enough gems to pull the 10x once a week. The excess has left me with enough to pull it a second time this week and I didn't get the ghost peach or whatever on the first time but I think I'll save it for next week because I think it will have some kind of Luigi in there that I'd rather have

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm a sucker for mario kart, my code is 5092 2739 1519

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Friend code is 6915 0864 1686. I'll gladly take some goon friends.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

How are you all getting around 20,000?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I have at least a mid tier glider for each track in that cup, and the bonus time to continue your combo is a huge deal. I've also got a top tier driver for two of them, and frenzies boost your combo a crazy amount.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I only buy cars and gliders. Racers give you extra item slots which is okay, but the other two increase your points bonus.

I save up gold and only buy the vehicles and gliders that are part of the week ranking courses.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I actually find it's easiest to get the best point totals with lucky runs where you get Frenzy twice. But you should be able to get like 7,000 per course minimum on almost all courses because you get 1200 at the start and 3000 from winning. It's definitely way easier with top tier of all 3 things though, just in general. Takes less luck to get a top score. I'm at Tier 12 right now because one week I only went up 2 levels.

EDIT: Wow getting Frenzy with the Bubble rules because the bubble drives your car so you can truly focus on pressing the button as fast as possible without doing any steering

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 26, 2019

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

How are you all getting around 20,000?

like everyone else said, karts and gliders are more important than drivers.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

big trivia FAIL posted:

like everyone else said, karts and gliders are more important than drivers.

Today, Waluigi was in the shop so I bought him and I don't and won't ever really need anyone else.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

cracking 12K on the third baby Luigi course will have next week sitting pretty too

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 27, 2019

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I love having goon buddies for all of my mobile gaming experiences:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

My ID is 8025 1307 0279

Is it worth it buying the common karts and gliders, or should I save up for the rarer ones?

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 27, 2019

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

My ID is 8025 1307 0279

Is it worth it buying the common karts and gliders, or should I save up for the rarer ones?

it's worth buying any of them you dont have

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Oh, the spotlight driver in phase 2 is King Boo. Definitely holding off on pulling the pipe 10x for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Hail Nintendo Satan.