Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I haven't had time to try it too much, but it seems like combat is gonna break the ranking system, since you can just ignore the actual combat and farm points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

BonHair posted:

I haven't had time to try it too much, but it seems like combat is gonna break the ranking system, since you can just ignore the actual combat and farm points?

You can try but the deleted players start throwing items onto the arena and it gets difficult (not impossible) to avoid

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BonHair posted:

I mean… someone is going to figure out how to abuse the gently caress out of it. If my dumb rear end can get 28,000 on the ranked battle course without putting any thought into it, oh boy.

I actually don’t mind the shop changes so far. Too many times I dropped 450 rubies on a pipe only for the one driver I wanted to be in the last 10 pulls. Yeah, it costs something stupid like $70 to buy one high end driver, but nobody is doing that.

If the point is to buy the exact driver you need, I think it’s fine. Sure, you don’t get 94 lovely items to get the the 2 items you want, but nobody is using those lovely drivers either. But they added 24 green pipes and 2 gold pipes to the star rewards tower thing every 2 weeks if that holds up. The 1st/2nd/3rd place in ranked has a gold pipe too. That’s 48 green and 6 gold pipes that you are paying zero rubies for every 4 weeks. And you definitely were not getting 450 rubies in this game every 4 weeks if you were not spending money.

I don’t know… some people are saying they are quitting the game because they essentially don’t get the rush of gambling. But the only reason you need high end drivers is to essentially win in ranked. And how many times have you dropped down in ranked because you didn’t have the 1 driver in the pipe and you didn’t have 450 rubies to drain it? Now you can spend the same amount and get 3 of the spotlight drivers that you want, which would have cost as much as 1350 rubies before.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Battles are bad. Nobody ever plays them in regular Mario Kart so why would they add them to this

Not as fussed about the changes to the store although it sucks that the token shop is so tiny this time around

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Astro7x posted:

I mean… someone is going to figure out how to abuse the gently caress out of it. If my dumb rear end can get 28,000 on the ranked battle course without putting any thought into it, oh boy.

I actually don’t mind the shop changes so far. Too many times I dropped 450 rubies on a pipe only for the one driver I wanted to be in the last 10 pulls. Yeah, it costs something stupid like $70 to buy one high end driver, but nobody is doing that.

If the point is to buy the exact driver you need, I think it’s fine. Sure, you don’t get 94 lovely items to get the the 2 items you want, but nobody is using those lovely drivers either. But they added 24 green pipes and 2 gold pipes to the star rewards tower thing every 2 weeks if that holds up. The 1st/2nd/3rd place in ranked has a gold pipe too. That’s 48 green and 6 gold pipes that you are paying zero rubies for every 4 weeks. And you definitely were not getting 450 rubies in this game every 4 weeks if you were not spending money.

I don’t know… some people are saying they are quitting the game because they essentially don’t get the rush of gambling. But the only reason you need high end drivers is to essentially win in ranked. And how many times have you dropped down in ranked because you didn’t have the 1 driver in the pipe and you didn’t have 450 rubies to drain it? Now you can spend the same amount and get 3 of the spotlight drivers that you want, which would have cost as much as 1350 rubies before.

The biggest draw of the pipes is that there's often 9, or sometimes 12 HEs in them. if you spend 45 rubies you can get get insane pulls like 3 high ends, 2 supers and a bunch of commons which just isn't possible now.
And while you didn't use baby peach or whoever when you maxed them out the coin generation from pulling pipes was really good which could feed into buying tickets. This drastically cuts down on the coins the average player can get as well.

It they really lowered the price to buy a driver, and made a alternate way to get coins outside of replaying rush a bazillion times it would be a good update I think. As it stands now it's... not.
It's just baffling on prices because you can buy a HE multiple times. Do they really think anyone is going to spend 300 rubies to make Toad with a funny hat level 2??

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I guess it all depends on how you play the game.

It seems like this new system targets more casual player. If I need one spotlight driver, I need 450 to guarantee I will get them. Now it costs 150.

And while many had 9-13 HEs, a lot had 6. 11 tours since Jan 2021 had 6 HEs. There was no guarantee that future pipes would have 9-12 HEs.

And there is now 2 gold pipes in the tour star tower thing, and I’ve pulled 3 HEs from the 12 of the 24 green pipes so far that I’ve pulled.

I get it, if you’ve maxed out some low end Things you get the coin bonus, but there is also not much to buy with coins now

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Pretty much got 36K on ranked battle by using a mid end level 8 daisy, key was having a high end level 5 kart that was mini turbo, kept the combo going, and that was on the 3rd try so who knows, it is timed at the end though you get a 30 sec warning

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Astro7x posted:

I guess it all depends on how you play the game.

It seems like this new system targets more casual player. If I need one spotlight driver, I need 450 to guarantee I will get them. Now it costs 150.

And while many had 9-13 HEs, a lot had 6. 11 tours since Jan 2021 had 6 HEs. There was no guarantee that future pipes would have 9-12 HEs.

And there is now 2 gold pipes in the tour star tower thing, and I’ve pulled 3 HEs from the 12 of the 24 green pipes so far that I’ve pulled.

I get it, if you’ve maxed out some low end Things you get the coin bonus, but there is also not much to buy with coins now

I mean buying HE tickets is kind of a goal :v:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
There is no goal of anything in this game. It is an endless situation of there always being that new D/K/G that you need to get a high score. They constantly bring out new courses or variations of courses that require new drivers that you don't have. It's a complaint that people do not get enough items so that they can get more items

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I’m already sick of battles being in the main tour. Hope they take them out soon.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Haven't played this game since like 2019 or so and a friend prompted me to get back into it. Holy poo poo has everything changed. What the gently caress happened to my gatcha pipes?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

tony quidtana posted:

Haven't played this game since like 2019 or so and a friend prompted me to get back into it. Holy poo poo has everything changed. What the gently caress happened to my gatcha pipes?

Laws changed so now it's a shop. Now it's the unfortunate problem of Double Dash's dogshit item system where they realized no one wants to pay for characters with bubble or mushroom canon and every new driver gets Coinbox/Boomerang/Giant Banana/Lucky 7 and all others no longer exist or are regulated to mii racing suits.

I'm finally dropping the game for awhile because each tour asking me to buy the same item and upgrade it to level 4 just to stand a chance sucks and I'm F2P so I'm just clocking out

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
What loving laws lmao. All I see on TV anymore are sports betting app ads. If anything it's trending in the other direction. Ohh well. Guess I'll pick it up for a few weeks and see where that takes me

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Some anti-gambling thing spooked them into removing pipes. That's about all I heard on it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

They removed the pipes to get stuff for the tour, you still got plenty of pipes for event tokens and multiplayer, just none that are connected to the currency you can buy. And also it's much better that I don't have to gamble to get what I need.

I think it's Japanese laws that require this, so that's why an international game follows it, but local gambling sites do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Its much better system as you dont spend all your ingame currency to get what you wanted in the very last pipe - yep this happened way to often to be coincidence