Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Found this, there doesn't seem to be any gameplay footage yet, but it looks interesting imo:

https://twitter.com/SoftwareMushin/status/1205114430448717826

https://twitter.com/SoftwareMushin/status/1175850547171266562

https://twitter.com/SoftwareMushin/status/1213899296757747713

https://twitter.com/SoftwareMushin/status/1198658665932296193

https://twitter.com/SoftwareMushin/status/1200839929963667456

Sorry for the wall of twitter links, but there's no gameplay video or the like yet it seems. Their youtube channel only has the small clips from twitter: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6bywuXohka66ofRBegwAsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
PSA: Daemon X Machina is coming to Steam Feb. 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTZBTqJgTns

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Big Scary Owl posted:

PSA: Daemon X Machina is coming to Steam Feb. 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTZBTqJgTns

I am simultaneously extremely owned by this because I bought it for switch and yet happy I may get to actually play the MP.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Interview with a former Production Assistant at Agetec back during the PS2 launch days, talking about FromSoft games. Very interestingly, he mentions that Frame Gride was originally Armored Core 2, but "there was some issue with Dreamcast and Sega where they ended up just turning it into a different game". Wow, so Armored Core 2 was supposed to come out on Dreamcast? That's nuts, I never knew that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_cwtDAtMX8

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
An ACV/ACVD clone is in the works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3GDdowCT_I

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Generation 5 (Armored Core 5, Armored Core: Verdict Day)

I think it was this one but there was an armored core where you could plot out little waypoints and AI and stuff for units on a map without playing it for some reason and I never understood what it was for because I didn't get to play it for that long.

I just remember liking having this on endless repeat for the whole time I was in the menu for V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KpKUIC2asI

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I played so much Project Phantasma, but never had a PS2 so I knew nothing of any of the Armored Cores that would follow.

I said come in! posted:

Hot take, but actually instead of a Armored Core game, I would rather have a sequel to Chromehounds.

This but Phantom Crash. Racing and Mech Game is the perfect hybrid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

piL posted:

I played so much Project Phantasma, but never had a PS2 so I knew nothing of any of the Armored Cores that would follow.

My experience with Armored Core went from the PlayStation demo disc version of Armored Core to Project Phantasma because that's all my dad could find in stores at the time. It took like a year and a half before I could track down a copy of the original game, so I also played the poo poo out of PP. I think only AC2 comes close in terms of the number of times I've replayed an AC game all the way through.

Purely coincidentally Project Phantasma and Armored Core 2 had the most coherent and easily understandable stories of all the AC games, so that might have had something to do with it :thunk:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

piL posted:

But it (nor SLAI) had racing other than some minor aesthetic stuff

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

kirbysuperstar posted:

But it (nor SLAI) had racing other than some minor aesthetic stuff

I didn't play SLAI, but the gameplay of Phantom Crash felt more like Quake Arena style routes--at least in my rose tinted memories. Which I guess makes it more of a mix of arena style gameplay and mech game? Maybe my attribution was haughty, but I think thats what I miss-perfecting the route and adjusting for deviation.

Edit: and a speed thats often missing from mech games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah that's fair, definitely more of the arena-shooter DM sorta thing

Chainmail Onesie
May 12, 2014

LoserWinner
of "Thunder Dome!
Has anyone else attempted to retrofit the PS2-era camera controls to the PS1 games in emulation? I adore MoA but I could never get the hang of the L2/R2 pre-analog aiming, so when I replayed it in emulation I mapped everything to be a 1-to-1 replica of the controls from AC Nexus.

It changes the game, at least for me, from "holy poo poo I am never fighting another Raven outside the parking lot arena stage and will forever spam WA-finger" to a much more reasonable challenge.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chainmail Onesie posted:

Has anyone else attempted to retrofit the PS2-era camera controls to the PS1 games in emulation? I adore MoA but I could never get the hang of the L2/R2 pre-analog aiming, so when I replayed it in emulation I mapped everything to be a 1-to-1 replica of the controls from AC Nexus.

It changes the game, at least for me, from "holy poo poo I am never fighting another Raven outside the parking lot arena stage and will forever spam WA-finger" to a much more reasonable challenge.

I tried this and the PS1 emulator I was using refused to accept any controls that mapped to the sticks on my controller. I couldn’t figure out what the issue was and there was seemingly no discussion online about it.

Chainmail Onesie
May 12, 2014

LoserWinner
of "Thunder Dome!

Lightning Knight posted:

I tried this and the PS1 emulator I was using refused to accept any controls that mapped to the sticks on my controller. I couldn’t figure out what the issue was and there was seemingly no discussion online about it.

Hm. I used ePSXe on Windows 10 with a 3rd party xbox 360 controller, if that helps at all- so I guess not an exact 1-to-1 map of the PS2 era controls, but my analog stick worked fine.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chainmail Onesie posted:

Hm. I used ePSXe on Windows 10 with a 3rd party xbox 360 controller, if that helps at all- so I guess not an exact 1-to-1 map of the PS2 era controls, but my analog stick worked fine.

I haven’t tried it recently but if I do I’ll post some screenshots maybe.

I wanted to do an LP of the PSP titles but then coronavirus happened and my work went apeshit re: requirements and now I do not have time or energy for that.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Chainmail Onesie posted:

Last time I played the PS1 games I did the same thing. You can also do it with the pre-analog PS2 games but I never actually tried it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Last I knew ePSXe doesn't actually let you configure xinput controllers.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

Last I knew ePSXe doesn't actually let you configure xinput controllers.

You can use other pad plugins instead of the one that comes built-in with the emulator, in my case I used lilypad, the PCSX2 emulator pad plugin that also works on epsxe.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Big Scary Owl posted:

You can use other pad plugins instead of the one that comes built-in with the emulator, in my case I used lilypad, the PCSX2 emulator pad plugin that also works on epsxe.

aw poo poo, I am quoting this so I can find it later

also representing with this sweet avatar. :cool:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

aw poo poo, I am quoting this so I can find it later

also representing with this sweet avatar. :cool:

It shamefully took me until seeing this avatar to realize that Armored Core 4's codename/tagline "Project Force" is itself a pun because it can be read as "project force" as in "this is the name of the project we're working on, and it it called force", and "pro-ject force" as in "the very idea of an Armored Core itself is a projection of force meant to scare the poo poo out of people".

:downs:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

nine-gear crow posted:

It shamefully took me until seeing this avatar to realize that Armored Core 4's codename/tagline "Project Force" is itself a pun because it can be read as "project force" as in "this is the name of the project we're working on, and it it called force", and "pro-ject force" as in "the very idea of an Armored Core itself is a projection of force meant to scare the poo poo out of people".

:downs:

SAME

I realized this when I was applying it lol.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Just wait until you realize the pun about Force (フォース) as it relates to Fourth (フォース).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It took me a little longer than it should have to realize that the Answer the game is asking for is to kill the rich to stop climate change

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Speaking of, 4A runs real well in RPCS3. Only did a few missions but it held 60fps just fine (i5-7400, 1060-6GB) as opposed to the "average of 20, maybe" on an actual PS3.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Has anyone ever tried playing the PSP version of Last Raven on an actual PSP, instead of emulating it to fix the controls? That game is a ball-buster when you can aim with the right stick, I can't imagine how you'd play it with one stick and two fewer shoulder buttons at your disposal

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Has anyone ever tried playing the PSP version of Last Raven on an actual PSP, instead of emulating it to fix the controls? That game is a ball-buster when you can aim with the right stick, I can't imagine how you'd play it with one stick and two fewer shoulder buttons at your disposal

Last Raven Portable is loving unplayable on the PSP, yes. I picked it up to check out a couple of the new parts that they included in it as incentive to buy it, but yeah if you're gonna bother to play it use PPSSPP and set up a decent non-terrible control scheme.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
My first reaction to the PSP control scheme was “how the gently caress did I ever play this as a kid????”

I had Formula Front for the PSP and I beat it too, and I have no idea how. :psyduck:

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I remember having a 3rd party controller on my PS1 that would allow me to map the digital face buttons to the right analog stick for pre-dual shock games. Reassigning all of the movement and aiming controls to the twin sticks seemed like a great idea but I couldn’t get used to the now digital aiming and promptly switched back.

I’m proud to say I still have the muscle memory to play with the original control scheme but yeah, is there some hacky way to map these games for proper analog aiming?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

general chaos posted:

I remember having a 3rd party controller on my PS1 that would allow me to map the digital face buttons to the right analog stick for pre-dual shock games. Reassigning all of the movement and aiming controls to the twin sticks seemed like a great idea but I couldn’t get used to the now digital aiming and promptly switched back.

I’m proud to say I still have the muscle memory to play with the original control scheme but yeah, is there some hacky way to map these games for proper analog aiming?

If you’re playing on emulation (which I recommend if you have a decent computer) most emulators will let you remap the controls in the emulator. I recommend you try to remap the controls so that the menus are still usable, and keep in mind that the games also have limited remapping of controls in game as well, at least in AC2 and beyond.

For the console games this is pretty straightforward, you just map all the triggers/bumpers to the appropriate direction on your stick of choice, or mouse if you want to play m/kb. I recommend you try m/kb at least once, it’s really fun and the games feel like they would’ve benefitted a lot from having more buttons to work with. On m/kb you can also do fun things like mapping Limit Release or weapon drop all to one button.

For the PSP games it’s a bit trickier, you have to map the buttons in such a way that a) you can still use the menus and b) the game won’t lock you out of certain controls it believes are “impossible” such as weapon dropping. I don’t remember how I did it anymore but it is very doable, on both controller and m/kb.

For those trying to play AC4/4A who can’t figure out a good control scheme that doesn’t require playing claw or having back buttons on your controller, I recently played and mapped quick boost to L3, which let me shuffle everything else around adequately. AC4 really suffers from the auto boost feature being gimped by requiring you to use bad camera controls to get it and it’s tragic.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

hosed up that the only PS1 AC games on the US PSN are the first one and that's it, meanwhile Japan got Phantasma and Master of Arena

I got AC3 a while back and kept failing that one escaping MT mission until I found out about overboost and then ran out of energy before I managed to catch up and nail the 2nd guy with my MGs, hell of a way to finish

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I rented the PS2 Armored Core games from Blockbuster a bunch but I didn't really know what I was doing I just knew they were cool mech games so I put on Codebreaker codes for like infinite money and boost and stuff and I just played them as like invincible mecha pew pew games and I still don't really know how to play Armored Core I'm so sorry

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I tried loading up AC2 in PSCX2 and ate poo poo, it felt way harder than I remember the PSX trilogy being.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Aside from projectsix and Vulture, are there any still active fan AC projects?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

gently caress yeah armored core. I'm the weird outlier that liked 2 the most. I still give anyone that introduces themselves as Matthias a side eye. 3 and silent line were better games, but something about the presentation of 2, from Concord to the soundtrack just feels the most iconic to me.

On the subject of a sequel, I always bring it up in these topics. Give me Armored Souls. Let me play in a giant post apocalyptic ruined megacity where I find some raggedy barely running AC, and let me upgrade it from killing other mercs scavenging around. Be the Gwynbreaker.

And get the iconic original operator voice ladies too. No enemies detected. Systems switched to normal mode.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Armored Core is dead, long live Armored Core

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Man, I love these games but I’m so bad at them, I think it’s because I’m terrible with console controllers in 3D. One day I hope somebody makes something similar that works with mouse and keyboard.

My solution to the weird controls pre-nexus was to map movement controls to the d-pad and face buttons, same layout as the analog sticks would have been. I actually got better with that scheme than I did with the standard dual analog setup, just because I suck so much at controllers.

Armored souls would be neat, especially if they added a more fleshed out melee system. Hell, it would all fit quite well really - AC even basically has the invasion mechanic already with how it sometimes drops a surprise enemy AC on you.

Anyway, my hot take is that something needs to be done about shoulder cannons, because kneeling to fire a giant unfolding cannon looks really cool but shouldn’t be suicide.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Last year I played a bunch of PS1 mech games and, this probably isn't a surprise, but the AC PS1 trilogy was miles ahead of anything in terms of controls. I did get around to trying out Armored Core 4 and it was fine, but I just feel like there's something special about the way those games control. I ended up doing speedruns, though, so I was also abusing stuff like clipping out of bounds.

I really need to get to revisiting the PS2 games at some point. I imagine that's probably the next best thing for me.

The 360/PS3 games seem like they're in a weird spot with all the different publishers and online updates. You can't even get new regulations files for Armored Core 4 on PS3 in NA. I spent awhile searching to see if there was a way I could download something and get the 1.4 regulations but no luck.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I’ve never played any of the post-ps2 games, so I’m not sure whether it still holds true. But what at least the older games really got right was the feel of the mechs, somewhere comfortably between quake and mechwarrior in terms of weight and mobility. Making lock on a function of your mech’s configuration was also a good move.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The post PS2 games have a weird and kinda questionable 'feel' for the most part. For example, you're basically never not boosting, and areas are huge, so even with that in mind you're still moving considerably slower relative to your environment than you are in the PS2 games (with some notable exceptions that also tend to be some of the best stages tbh).

Instead you're basically quickboosting and overboosting all over the place, and individual poo poo is generally way less of a threat than in the older games. Hell, even one on one AC fights tend to be less of a horror, which kinda comes from a variety of things like the order of magnitude more ammo you tend to have at any given point and the aforementioned large areas making it relatively easy to engage on your own terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know about anything before 4, but 4 and For Answer make it very clear that the machines in 4 are increasingly strong war machines whose battles are slowly killing the world, but the NEXTs (and what is required to build and maintain them) in 4A are existential threats to the planet and need to be destroyed completely. ACV is basically about the failure to destroy what led to 4A once and for all, with the final boss of Verdict Day even being a nightmare version of White Glint

How quickly they move and kill is the point, p much