Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/SevaUT/status/1754914974365806999

Tucker is incredibly popular in Russia, they'd frequently show clips from his cancelled Fox News show on national broadcast over there.

I often wonder what it's like for the old school Cold Warriors to watch the GOP become the party of supporting a Russia led by a former KGB agent. I have a friend whose dad was serious Army intel in the 80s - like posted in Moscow and West Berlin serious. He cannot loving believe how russophilic the modern American conservatives have become.

We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every gook there is an American trying to get out. It's a hardball world, son.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Staluigi posted:

There's still a qualification level they out some people in on where it's like "ok so we completely idiot-proofed food prep and janitorial" and recruiters can be pretty gung ho to help you work your way out of being unschooled son of bumpkin shack morons

"Bad enough to get permanently axed from consideration" like i want to know what that looks like

Yep there are people who just can’t read well, can’t take tests, and the marines despite their reputation as crayon eating dummies have a higher asvab bar than the army. The “permanent” disqualification is a little sus to me though. If it were just a low score, a kid could just retake test.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ChasinWhiteCaps/status/1775215543345152056

More context, you can see from the dates this is right after Kenosha so the military was probably scrambling to figure out if he was affiliated with any of the branches. If this is a genuine e-mail chain, I'd say the respondent was putting "permanently" in there as kind of (wishful?) hyperbole. I doubt they were thinking about the inevitable FOIA on interagency communications.

Reading it again makes me agree here. It also just says “test” so it’s conceivable it could have been the initial strength test the marine recruiters give. He probably couldn’t do a pull up and they told him to gently caress off.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

It was a very specific economic idea that challenged the generally accepted keynesian ideas of the post-war west and flipped the idea on its head. "smooth out the economy by taxing booms and spending during busts" and "government spending should focus on creating jobs and investing in the public in order to stimulate the economy"

It was a consequence of the financialization of the economy. Once the industrial economy could be shipped overseas and the accumulated capital kept here, the economy was just Wall Street. And the best way to stimulate Wall Street has been the republican initiatives, lowering upper income rates, capital gains and privatizing the plebes’ finances by moving from pensions to 401k, or the real prize: privatization of social security.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Segue posted:

The one thing I always wondered is if everyone gets these massive summer holidays, what about essential and service workers? Are they just out of luck, or second class? Is it only professional workers that get to take August off?

You just define “everyone” to not include service workers. Easy peasy.

Even easier if you only hire service workers who aren’t white.