Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Wait, we're supposed to hate coffee now??? I must not have gotten the latest marching orders from George Soros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

And every time this comes up in regular conversation, all I hear are workers talking about how nobody (else) wants to work and that the solution in America is to just work harder and earn it. Then you point out how wages consistently fail to keep pace with worker productivity and usually what I get are questions about the source rather than what the numbers say.

We have a lot of turnover at my current job and, of course, none of it is ever the fault of the company, the way they treat workers or any of the bullshit they routinely pull. Nope, just lazy workers from top to bottom apparently. At a certain point, doesn't it become obvious when this regularly happens that the problem is the JOB itself? Kind of along the lines where if you think everyone in a room is an rear end in a top hat, then you're the rear end in a top hat?

Unless for some reason you're at CPAC or the RNC I mean.

I like to have these sorts of conversations with people too, and I have had no success whatsoever. Use data to back up those points? Obviously biased liberal elites, can't be trusted.

Care about higher wages? Too lazy.

Care about better work/life balance? WAY too loving lazy!

Universal healthcare or some kind of healthcare reform? They worked loving hard to get a job with healthcare!

The people that most consistently agree about this stuff seem to mostly have graduate degrees and already have high paying jobs, good work/life balance, and good healthcare options. Anecdotally from talking to people here in Seattle anyway.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

zoux posted:

No I don't even want to know how, I want to keep the mystery

This woman is one of the dumbest human beings I've ever had the misfortune of reading. I have no idea why WAPO keeps publishing her articles.