Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
Move to a place without snow

orrrrrr

Full spectrum light
booze in hot drinks
warm, thick, wool socks
lighter socks to replace the wool ones when your feet sweat inside and you need to let them breathe a moment and everyone around is like ewwwwww stankfeet!
light gloves if you need to use a computer, or fingerless, long, wristwarmers
something to look forward to

But it's easier not to live where winter exists. Recommend the equator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

The Real Amethyst posted:

Another big issue I have with winter clothing is trying to figure out how to dress properly.

I have no loving idea how to dress fashionable and end wearing the ugliest mis matching colours.

Also screw trying to figure out what boots to wear. No matter what they never match my jeans. I have big feet!

Maybe I just grew up in a really tolerant and laid back frozen Hellscape, but back home they don't judge poor fashion sense too harshly since everyone is dressing based on the idea that if your car breaks down on a back road you may actually die waiting for / walking for help. The trick is to get where you're going, strip down to just your long johns and comically oversized boots, then tell everyone your name is Grubsteak and talk like an old timey prospector.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

If you want to stay warm, don't wear cotton and get a base layer that wicks moisture. Other than that, just wear a second layer for warmth and a third layer for wind/rain/snow.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Be warned that scarf-over-face plus eyeglasses == iced up lenses after a single breath. :(

On the plus side, leather gloves with this magical thing called Thinsulate are great. Tall boots with extra room for thicker socks, and a broom by the door to sweep yourself off before going inside will prevent frozen ankles and puddles on the floor, respectively.

Making dinner in the oven will really warm up a house, but soup will keep you tummy warm from the inside. Beer bread is easy and goes well with soup, so you can have both. :)

For the vehicle: A snow shovel, a real broom (not the little ones with the ice scraper), a real ice scraper, and a big bottle of spry de-icer from the automotive section. Remove the snow from the roof/hood/trunk of your vehicle before driving; the driver behind you will thank you!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

For the vehicle: A snow shovel, a real broom (not the little ones with the ice scraper), a real ice scraper, and a big bottle of spry de-icer from the automotive section. Remove the snow from the roof/hood/trunk of your vehicle before driving; the driver behind you will thank you!

Also keep a big bag of old school non clumping kitty litter in the trunk. It sounds like bullshit, but there's been a couple times I slid into a spot with no traction and got the front end in a snow bank and got out by tossing down a couple fat lines of litter behind the tires to get some grip.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Drink hot chocolate until you are either warm or fat enough to not get cold. If it's really nippy make stew. All the stew. Think beyond beef and veggies. I saw a recipe for pork and tomatillo stew that I'm going to make tonight. Looks delicious.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Back in the day I was taking a neuroscience class that ended up being only like 10-15 people, one of them was a dude who had just moved here (St Louis) from socal and was very concerned about the approaching cold. More than one class was totally derailed trying to get this guy to not freeze to death. He was shocked at how cold 40 degrees was and horrified by the idea that this was the tip of the iceberg, and even more concerned that the expensive fleece jacket he picked up at REI was not going to cut it. Godspeed little summer man, I hope you made it back to the warm place.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
also, lotion

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Buy a coat, OP

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i wear three jumpers :smuggo:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Back in the day I was taking a neuroscience class that ended up being only like 10-15 people, one of them was a dude who had just moved here (St Louis) from socal and was very concerned about the approaching cold. More than one class was totally derailed trying to get this guy to not freeze to death. He was shocked at how cold 40 degrees was and horrified by the idea that this was the tip of the iceberg, and even more concerned that the expensive fleece jacket he picked up at REI was not going to cut it. Godspeed little summer man, I hope you made it back to the warm place.

i spent my childhood in st louis and was absolutely gobsmacked at how loving brutal an upstate new york winter is.

it was 60 degrees on christmas day several times when i was a kid.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

oh yeah don't get me wrong, its not like arctic hellscape, but man this dude was just not ready for anything below 50 degrees. I legit thought he was going to cry when we told him that sometimes it gets below freezing.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I burn wood. I have propane in case I run out of wood. I have a radiator system in my house that can run on either wood or propane. I also have two wood stoves and a hearth. It's pretty simple. I have 2.5 tons of wood pellets in one shed and a few cords of split wood in another. The propane guys call every so often to ask if I need propane, but I haven't burned any this autumn.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

He was shocked at how cold 40 degrees was

That's still shorts weather, maybe a light jacket for the early morning :colbert:

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
There is a lot of good advice in this thread.

For your couch or chair where you sit and watch movies and stuff, get two, and I repeat that, get two not one, fleece blankets to cover your legs to be cozy.

Fleece-lined pants were just mentioned. Get those, not the flannel ones unless you are scrub tier.

And of course, layers. Its all about layers when you go out. Learn it, do it right and you can stand in the middle of the coldest weather you can imagine.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
unless you have exposed skin cause it will blacken and fall off.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
uh yeah, face masks, hoods, goggles, and scarfs are all considered part of "layers" at cold temps.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

EvilJoven posted:

ya basically

That is so awesome! yet, terrifying at the same time

Dr. Stab posted:

Where are you moving op?

Anyways get long johns. You can wear them around the house to complete the aesthetic of it being cold outside while you sip hot chocolate.

Not moving anywhere in particular, just trying to decipher the Code of the Cold

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sorry OP, you just kind of have to have been a winter baby. Theres no changing that.

Us summer time babies missed out on snow happiness, or as the kids call it snow-ppines

Angelwolf posted:

If it's indoor heating you're looking for, some people swear by using... a tealight.

Yup, a real Candle Life Hack!!! Several terracotta pots joined together with a bolt and a bunch of washers between each pot, then stick a tealight candle under them.

The theory is that the heat from the flame makes the bolt really hot, and the heat disperses through into the pots and you can keep nice and toasty by staying close by.

It's like MAGIC

Check out this guide by
Hacked Gadgets/

Alright *rubs hands together* now this is the Bill Bye the Science Guy witchcraft that only the Winter-beings know about. Thank you! I uh, want to try it for the science reasons

The Real Amethyst posted:

One thing is dislike about winter is how uncomfortable all the layers clothes get.
It's very restrictive and gets too hot or just fails to warm up at all.
Gotta keep my head and face covered too which hurts my sensitive skin.
Not to mention constant runny nose.

Another big issue I have with winter clothing is trying to figure out how to dress properly. So many layers, jackets, jumpers, coats, scarf, boots.

I have no loving idea how to dress fashionable and end wearing the ugliest mis matching colours. Not to mention how stupidly expensive winter outfits are.

Also screw trying to figure out what boots to wear. No matter what they never match my jeans. I have big feet!

People who say they prefer the cold to sun are liars and simply say that because they never step foot outside more than once a week.

"Whattaya mean I have to take off my clothes every time I enter a room? What am I, a stripper?!" lol

That's unfortunate about your footwear, though. Having big feet is both a blessing and a curse for some.

Thank you for your honesty about the dreaded brr brr-time cold

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My mom would make melkkos which is like this warm South African porridge that is very dense and filling that you'd sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top of. It'd put your rear end to bed and warm you up especially with a cold glass of milk.

Oh hell to the yeah! yumm! ^_^

I miss porridge, do you have a recipe for it? I'd love to try it

Ramaroot posted:

Move to a place without snow

orrrrrr

Full spectrum light
booze in hot drinks
warm, thick, wool socks
lighter socks to replace the wool ones when your feet sweat inside and you need to let them breathe a moment and everyone around is like ewwwwww stankfeet!
light gloves if you need to use a computer, or fingerless, long, wristwarmers
something to look forward to

But it's easier not to live where winter exists. Recommend the equator.

Nice avatar! V Fancy. Have you tried those gloves with the fingertips where you can use your phone? Those are neat and I'm going to see if Amazon has some in cool black leather. Now we don't have to choose between hitting ignore on a call, and keeping our hands warm.

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Be warned that scarf-over-face plus eyeglasses == iced up lenses after a single breath. :(

@_@ the cold, she suffocates you *drops down to knees emotionally*

When I was jogging in the cold, that was one of my main complaints, foggy lenses, but I learned to deal with it. I think somebody suggested that stuff that you put on windshields, but it's not THAT big of a problem

Frankenstyle posted:

Also keep a big bag of old school non clumping kitty litter in the trunk. It sounds like bullshit, but there's been a couple times I slid into a spot with no traction and got the front end in a snow bank and got out by tossing down a couple fat lines of litter behind the tires to get some grip.

I saw this on That 70's Show, it made sense when Red explained it to Eric, also there was a candle and a stick of gum involved.

Gosh, moving around in snow sounds like a huge b

Drink hot chocolate until you are either warm or fat enough to not get cold. If it's really nippy make stew. All the stew. Think beyond beef and veggies. I saw a recipe for pork and tomatillo stew that I'm going to make tonight. Looks delicious.

Mmmm sounds like green pozole, the cannibalistic stew of my people. I hope that you enjoy it with all your heart and tummy :]

oh yeah don't get me wrong, its not like arctic hellscape, but man this dude was just not ready for anything below 50 degrees. I legit thought he was going to cry when we told him that sometimes it gets below freezing.

I feel this guy's pain, I know that it sounds silly, but it really is terrifying to be in a new area where you don't know what to do because your body has never experienced this before. When we went to the mountains to kick around and play in the snow, when we got there and I opened the door, I quickly shut it and was like, "yeah, nuh uh, what is this? why is the air stinging my pores?" I admire his bravery, and your guys' understanding

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I burn wood. I have propane in case I run out of wood. I have a radiator system in my house that can run on either wood or propane. I also have two wood stoves and a hearth. It's pretty simple. I have 2.5 tons of wood pellets in one shed and a few cords of split wood in another. The propane guys call every so often to ask if I need propane, but I haven't burned any this autumn.

Do you live in a cabin? If so, please tell me more. Cabin living sounds harsh but pleasurable.

Internetjack posted:

There is a lot of good advice in this thread.

For your couch or chair where you sit and watch movies and stuff, get two, and I repeat that, get two not one, fleece blankets to cover your legs to be cozy.

Fleece-lined pants were just mentioned. Get those, not the flannel ones unless you are scrub tier.

And of course, layers. Its all about layers when you go out. Learn it, do it right and you can stand in the middle of the coldest weather you can imagine.

Luckily, I am amassing a collection of throw blankets, some more fore aesthetic, but man do they come in handy. Eddie Bauer has some nice light, but warm knitted blankets, oh man, they look like they belong in a fancy hospital. I usually double blanket them with a thicker one on top. Just call me Major General Filbert, cuz I am in charge of this blanket fort.

Everybody get in, we're about to tell scary stories!

Thank you guys for the great advice. I see a lot of hot chocolate advice, and boy howdy, you don't have to tell me twice! There is one thing that maybe you cold-bros might adopt and that's the zarape. I know that it looks silly, but hear me out, you tuck your hands in for warmth for you don't have to worry about sleeves, the material is usually a thick wool, and it's basically a blanket and you can cover yourself when you're laying down. Also you can stick your hand out for some chips out of the head hole if you're snacking.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Be careful about how you moisturize! If the lotion isn't fully absorbed on your skin it will crystallize(when cold enough) and can damage your beautiful skin

Also! When I take my winter promenades i slightly "underdress" because after 10 minutes of walking
you're body temperature has risen and if you start to sweat you could be in trouble.

Eastbound Spider fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 23, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You need a mother or grandmother who knits woolen socks for you to put outside your regular socks. And you need long johns of course.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Do they sell sexy long johns? For the voluptuous customer?

Also, dear lord, your sweat freezes if you're too hot and it's cold out? What is this dimension?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Don't run from the cold, OP. Embrace it.

https://youtu.be/KphlVeJX6fE

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Good Ol Filbert posted:

Also, dear lord, your sweat freezes if you're too hot and it's cold out? What is this dimension?

Your sweat will freeze on your clothes. If it's on your actual body it evaporates into steam and makes you look like whatever part is exposed is smoking/steaming. People's heads will do this if not wearing a hat while working outdoors.
Also I've had the moisture from my breath freeze solid in my moustache frequently when snowblowing when it's real cold.

See also:

It's a costume, people in Wisconsin are just nuts and make fun of the cold and their outdoor football stadium

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Good Ol Filbert posted:

That's why layers are important. If you don't take off layers when you feel hot, then when it gets cold you'll have wet clothes.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
A wood burning stove is dope in the winter. Use mine all the time. Plus chicks dig it when I chop wood shirtless on my front lawn

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
The advice so far is great so I won't rehash the same info but there's a huge component that nobody has mentioned. A lot of how warm you feel can be mental. So mid November the temperature might hover around freezing and you think gee golly that's cold! You get all bundled up in layers and shiver your way through your day thinking how miserable winter is going to be. January, February, and March the temp is below zero and the wind is howling. You've already been dressing for extreme cold in November and December and now you've left yourself nowhere to go. It sounds crazy but overdoing it with layers and goretex and wool too early can make you feel like there's no room for improvement. Consider this. When the temperature is back around freezing in April you'll be out in it in a loving t-shirt without shivering because your whole attitude has changed toward 30 degree weather.

You absolutely can condition yourself to tolerate cold better by not overdoing it too early.

Also a sort of meditation technique I was taught is to imagine the hot blood flowing through your body. There's no way you're cold with so much hot liquid inside you right? You can almost feel it flowing through you and warming you up from the inside out. This works for me, try it.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Good Ol Filbert posted:

Do you live in a cabin? If so, please tell me more. Cabin living sounds harsh but pleasurable.

No, I live in a large farmhouse, which is why it takes so much to heat

BernieTheBolshevik
Oct 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wear Pajamas.

Drink Hot Chocolate.

Talk about getting Health Insurance.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
thank you! I got it for being a lurker. I knew keeping my mouth shut for multiple years would pay off.

Long hair in winter and beard if you're a dude. I'm not a dude, but I made the mistake of cutting my hair short midwinter and my neck and ears suffered.

edit: or adopt a horrormon charmander to keep you warm and terrified

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Your sweat will freeze on your clothes. If it's on your actual body it evaporates into steam and makes you look like whatever part is exposed is smoking/steaming. People's heads will do this if not wearing a hat while working outdoors.
Also I've had the moisture from my breath freeze solid in my moustache frequently when snowblowing when it's real cold.

See also:

It's a costume, people in Wisconsin are just nuts and make fun of the cold and their outdoor football stadium

Aaron Rodgers *clap* Clap* *clapclapclap* *lifts shirt to reveal big green G on shirt* , boyyy

Dr. Stab posted:

That's why layers are important. If you don't take off layers when you feel hot, then when it gets cold you'll have wet clothes.

The Ol' Sweat Buffer, I wonder if the sweat smells differently

Willfrey posted:

A wood burning stove is dope in the winter. Use mine all the time. Plus chicks dig it when I chop wood shirtless on my front lawn

Bonus points if you're a chick yourself. That is dope, dude. I've always romanticized the scene where when you're sad or angry and you're gonna burn a momento, of having a fireplace where I can drink and be super dramatic. "These CVS receipts, they're too long and a waste, but it has $2 off at the end. Ugh, I never bring these with me anyway." *tosses CVS receipt into the fire, the long paper twirling and dancing as it continues to unravel and burn* *looks at watch* "Oh, there's still time to trim the coupon" *rips off the end of it just before it all disappears into ash*

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

You absolutely can condition yourself to tolerate cold better by not overdoing it too early.

Also a sort of meditation technique I was taught is to imagine the hot blood flowing through your body. There's no way you're cold with so much hot liquid inside you right? You can almost feel it flowing through you and warming you up from the inside out. This works for me, try it.

I tried this outside in 91 degree weather and felt super hot, but luckily the ice cream man drove by just in time. That's really neat! Thank you!

Zippy the Bummer posted:

No, I live in a large farmhouse, which is why it takes so much to heat

Just give animals the internet and they'll evolve into forum posters, lol. Are you a chicken or a horse? :-P

BernieTheBolshevik posted:

Wear Pajamas.

Drink Hot Chocolate.

Talk about getting Health Insurance.

The topic of health insurance steams me up too :mad:

Ramaroot posted:

thank you! I got it for being a lurker. I knew keeping my mouth shut for multiple years would pay off.

Long hair in winter and beard if you're a dude. I'm not a dude, but I made the mistake of cutting my hair short midwinter and my neck and ears suffered.

edit: or adopt a horrormon charmander to keep you warm and terrified

*in deep growly monster voice* Charmandurrrhh

Yay! Welcome to posting, Miss Ramaroot. :] Lookin' forward to seeing you around!

I'm growing out my summer bob and it's at that weird stage where it's too long to be short and too short to be long, like, I quantify long when I'm able to grab it and set it to one side of the neck and it stays.

Sweet advice, everyone, I feel like if I were dropped off 1 mile away from a snowy cabin, I'd survive and win the Mr. Burns' Employee Award, all thanks to your tips!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The best hat is an ushanka or trapper hat. They're crazy comfortable and warm. Get a heavy thick heavy one.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The best hat is an ushanka or trapper hat. They're crazy comfortable and warm. Get a heavy thick heavy one.

Hopefully it comes with a matching muff. I've never seen a muff in real life, but I love the idea and design, lol just a fuzzy warm tube for your hands

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I live in the coldest place on Earth during Northern Hemisphere winter. Not on Average but our dips always hit Top 3 coldest places on weatherextremes.com.

Last February we went below -50f (-46c) and with windchill it was close to -70. My equipment said "no" when I tried to operate it. hydraulics just laughed, diesel engine starters can't get the cranks spinning in molasses oil. And even if they could, even winter diesel is gelling. I actually built a tent over some of the equipment and used a propane heater to get it warm enough to fire. But the wind was just pulling most of the heat out. Eventually when things got critical and the customers were threatening to end the contract I hired a wrecker to drag the equipment into a huge heated shop and after 8 hours everything fired up. I then left it running for 3 days stright until it warmed up 30 degrees to -20 or so. Sweater weather.

Afterward I found out the plug in block heaters were faulty. So I repaired those and then had webasto engine heaters installed. They run off the fuel tank and fire up a burner/heat exchanger and circulate coolant with a smart timer/scheduler. This winter I'll be more prepared.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Good Ol Filbert posted:

That thing is gangster as gently caress, do you think we might be able to get it second hand on LetGo or CaigsList? I've seen a Canadian jump one on Tosh.0, looked pretty drat tubular

That's Larry Enticer. He's a savage but he prefers 70's era snowmobiles.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
That terra-cotta pot thing would work better if you burnt charcoal in it to heat up big rocks. That's basically how the Hypocaust works. The Romans would burn a ton of wood underneath their baths, which would heat up terra-cotta or stone bricks to a really high temperature. Then when the fire would go out the heat would continue radiating, for days sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocaust

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
we need a hypocaust underneath the entire city

vote ramaroot 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ramaroot posted:

we need a hypocaust underneath the entire city

vote ramaroot 2020

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
op have you tried not being a baby???? i don't really change my clothing for winter n i live in utah so it gets decently cold. Some people start wearing a wind-breaker or if they're female, mormon and <25 yrs they dress like Sherri Cabot from Best in Show

like unless you're living in inordinately cold climates, you should be able to get by with long-sleeve shirts and thick hoodies/windbreakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I do not envy the prairies, where it gets super cold in the winter and super hot in the summer and no relief at all.
On the coasts, you could get a 5c day basically any time of year.

Also, looking at climate data, we get more snowy days in may than october, but you definitely remember the october snow a lot more.