Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

How do people here feel about Rise of Industry? I find it weirdly pretty and it seems generally well liked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why do the cute little robots in The Colonists need to eat food and sleep? Did they devs just start doing a generic building game then switch to robots to try to differentiate themselves?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I didn't like Railroad Tycoon scenarios either.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anno posted:

How do people here feel about Rise of Industry? I find it weirdly pretty and it seems generally well liked?

It’s solidly in a weird personal sub category of management game of “everything I should like but I can’t play it longer than an afternoon,” for me.

I think it depends on what you like. It’s mechanically solid in the early game and I’ve read that continues (though someone with more direct knowledge could say otherwise.) I think my aversion is that it’s a little *too* abstracted. I love things like anno because I realize that despite being a numbers dude, it helps me immensely to watch the little blacksmith guy hit his hammer, and the games missing that.

If I recall there was some chatter about it being sort of a “one way to win” sort of game in the very late game, too, which I don’t necessarily see as a problem but could affect subsequent runs/replayability.

Probably not a super helpful review, but hey.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Planning to get Two Point Hospital but wanted to check if y’all had any opinions about the DLC. Is any of it worth it?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The DLCs are pretty good, but they are strictly more maps and don't affect the base game at all. You are safe to play just the base game and then decide if you want more maps.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Agree on railway empire. For me it's like the constraints of the scenario sucks the fun out of the scenario. They require such specific optimization that it doesn't feel like there's too many ways to do the map. So it immediately goes from "design a railroad to satisfy these requirements" to "there's probably only a few layouts and build orders that will work for requirements this tight, fumble around until you figure it out. Get a win screen the moment you start to enjoy the scenario since you're finally out of the starting puzzle and have some flexibility in your last few choices, and go on to the next map"

This probably varies by scenario. I haven't done Dominion day, but the others open up a fair bit in the second half. (Even if the later objectives are basically "Ship a billion tons of X to Y" or "build a billion giant cities," but that's okay because that's kind of the only late-game goal you really can have.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Anno posted:

I bought it, played for a couple hours, then was overcome by the feeling of “there seems to be no point to this”.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

Planning to get Two Point Hospital but wanted to check if y’all had any opinions about the DLC. Is any of it worth it?

if you like the game and want more of it after you beat the campaign, get the dlc. the dlc is just extensions though, so don't get it until you've reached all of the base content and want to play more. the base game is pretty meaty by itself and should outlast your desire to play the game

Anno posted:

it seems like a simpler, less good knockoff of the old industry giant games. or like a very simplified railroad tycoon. it's the kind of game that should grab me firmly, but didn't

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I bought it, played for a couple hours, then was overcome by the feeling of “there seems to be no point to this”.

Yeah I got the same thing, there didn't feel like an overall point or challenge. But I also haven't played it in a year+ so maybe it has meat to it now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Any thoughts on Planet Zoo?

Is it more of an actual management game than Planet Coaster turned out to be?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Xenoborg posted:

The DLCs are pretty good, but they are strictly more maps and don't affect the base game at all. You are safe to play just the base game and then decide if you want more maps.

This isn't strictly true, in addition to the maps there are new diseases and treatment rooms, at least in the close encounters DLC.

e. Come to think of it the close encounters DLC added an "alien impersonating humans" mechanic that can well and truly gently caress up your queues if you ignore it. Basically, patients show up that can never be cured. They just keep rolling between diagnostic rooms. To stop the madness, you need to figure out which patients these are and send them home manually.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Frabba posted:

This isn't strictly true, in addition to the maps there are new diseases and treatment rooms, at least in the close encounters DLC.

e. Come to think of it the close encounters DLC added an "alien impersonating humans" mechanic that can well and truly gently caress up your queues if you ignore it. Basically, patients show up that can never be cured. They just keep rolling between diagnostic rooms. To stop the madness, you need to figure out which patients these are and send them home manually.

Yeah but the DLC diseases are limited to the DLC maps. So if you play base game's maps having the DLC or not doesn't affect the game except for a few minorly useful DLC items.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I picked it up yesterday and am enjoying it. There’s a career mode where you do various tasks, but it’s basically just a tutorial, then there’s a regular build and manage a park, finances and all mode that looks fun.

The lack of that mode was my major problem with Jurassic park evolution, so I’m glad it’s back.

There’s also a sandbox mode but I have never understood the point of unlimited money/happiness modes in management games.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

There’s also a sandbox mode but I have never understood the point of unlimited money/happiness modes in management games.

It's fun with little kids, if nothing else. Some people just like to make art.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why do the cute little robots in The Colonists need to eat food and sleep? Did they devs just start doing a generic building game then switch to robots to try to differentiate themselves?

Blah blah generate energy do not look at the man behind the curtain. "Sleeping" is just the way they represent "idled because of input/output bottlenecks." I think if you look at the flavor text it doesn't say "sleeping"; it's just the Zzzs on the map.

I just had to toss my save in the campaign because I had used up all of the tools before researching Level II mining and building. Le sigh. No, the backups didn't go far enough back to solve the problem.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Eiba posted:

The Colonists is amazing. It's adorable and I only wish I had bought it sooner.
Game looks pretty good but is the campaign just a series of unrelated maps or is there some kind of persistence between them?

Away all Goats posted:

I really enjoyed it when it came out until I got too many animals for my computer to run it at a playable FPS. It was sort of 60% aesthetics 40% management, I guess? Haven't played it since then but I imagine they might have addressed some of the performance issues by now.

The financial management side is better developed than in Planet Coaster when it was released (no idea how it is now) though it's not super deep. There's a lot of managing your animals that you also need to do to get rid of extras as they breed and to try and prevent inbreeding over time which got very tedious—particularly for the small exhibit animals—with a zoo of any scale. I would hope that they have put some work into improving the UI for animal management by now but it was definitely the worst part of the game.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

As someone who just played through the game and all its DLC’s in a relentless hunt for 100% completion, it’s almost certainly more game than you need. But like others have said you can finish the main game first and decide if you want more.

Some of the new gimmicks are neat but also half-baked, especially in the most recent one, which introduces a new mechanic in each hospital that is only used once and barely matters.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

After a couple of days playing The Colonists, I'm pretty sure that the optimal road length in settled areas (as opposed to on perimeters) is six segments, leaving four segments to build on. That fits many buildings.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I got Surviving Mars and have been loving it so got the DLC as well. Do I need to start a new save for the terraforming stuff to show up, or will it show up in my initially DLC-less save?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Fairly sure you need to start over.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Badger of Basra posted:

I got Surviving Mars and have been loving it so got the DLC as well. Do I need to start a new save for the terraforming stuff to show up, or will it show up in my initially DLC-less save?

There was at one point a Workshop mod which allowed Green Planet to be applied to an existing save, try checking there if you want to keep tour current embark.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Lore-wise: they were built to mimic humans needs by humans on Earth. Who knows why. Eventually they figured they'd have a nicer time away from humans so they built a cute little rocket to go to another planet.

The real reason is that it's adorable. The cute little robots think they're people!

Wallet posted:

Game looks pretty good but is the campaign just a series of unrelated maps or is there some kind of persistence between them?
You do start over every campaign map, which I ordinarily hate, but in this case I enjoyed. The logistics are kind of fiddly and it takes a while to get a sense of how to set everything up efficiently. You generally aren't given a ton of extra space on any given map, so you'll end up with everything cramped and a bunch of regrets about decisions you made early on. It's been a relief to start over at the end of every campaign mission.

But yeah, those are things to keep in mind: the game does try and challenge you by giving you constrained space. There's a puzzle element to working out how to deal with the maps.

There is apparently also a random map/free mode option, but I'm still enjoying the campaign. So far it feels like it's teaching me a concept each time, and I'm bungling it at first but in a way that will let me implement it better when I start over in the next map.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just had to toss my save in the campaign because I had used up all of the tools before researching Level II mining and building. Le sigh. No, the backups didn't go far enough back to solve the problem.
Why did you need tools? None of the research for shaft mines needs tools itself. After that, shaft mines are infinite as are charcoal burners, so I don't get how you got trapped.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

There was at one point a Workshop mod which allowed Green Planet to be applied to an existing save, try checking there if you want to keep tour current embark.

Eh might as well leave it. That way I'll actually force myself to play a second time.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

After a couple of days playing The Colonists, I'm pretty sure that the optimal road length in settled areas (as opposed to on perimeters) is six segments, leaving four segments to build on. That fits many buildings.

Thanks for mentioning this, i've played it over the last couple of days.

Robot train go Choo!

Edit:

Actual tip for people reading:

Paths are good, use paths for connecting direct chains in close proximity, I went from 30-40% efficiency to 70-90 by just doing that between 2 missions

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Paths are good, use paths for connecting direct chains in close proximity, I went from 30-40% efficiency to 70-90 by just doing that between 2 missions

On my manufacturing island, I have a chain of metal buildings (charcoal burner/blast furnace/blacksmith) connected by a path, one step back from the actual road. It rocks, because materials passing through the manufacturing process don't have to compete with traffic passing up and down the road. I would have done the same with my bakery chain, but topography, man.

I swear that research on shaft mines was stuck forever waiting for tools, but the problem may have been that it was waiting for iron, which requires Level 2 mining to produce.

I'm really frustrated by trying to set up efficient shipping channels, because my visual memory isn't good enough to keep track of everything and where it is. I wound up drawing a map last night. Naming everything by the cute names of the robots is fine in general, but it sucks for naming ports. My big wish is being able to copy/paste settings between ports. This is especially a problem when you're putting a big port next to a small one.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

They're all good. Pick the ones that sound fun to you

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Man Oxygen Not Included is the first game to give me optimization paralysis. I can't even get five minutes into a game without restarting, this is getting silly.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Manager Hoyden posted:

Man Oxygen Not Included is the first game to give me optimization paralysis. I can't even get five minutes into a game without restarting, this is getting silly.

Follow a play along with a dedicated seed to get you going? Or. Or. Just start digging up and see what happens.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’d just keep doing what you’re doing, and you’ll get hundreds of hours of fun out of the game. I probably made it to the “making steel and plastic” phase a few dozens of times before even thinking of a rocket.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I played a map without knowing what I was doing, I think I lasted till cycle 40 before everyone died. I watched a getting started video by Francis John, and now I’m up to cycle 45, with stable food and oxygen.

Just starting to get refined metals.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is Empyrion - Galactic Survival?

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I've played Empyrion a few times over different versions the last few years, but the last time was at least half a year ago so can't speak to how it is right now. That said, I enjoyed it. The core gameplay was pretty fun to me - survival, base defense, exploration, and mining. You start on a planet with some basic survival tooling and from there need to gather resources (mainly through mining with a beam tool) which itself is reasonably fun. There's monsters around, various humanoid npcs, some neutral animals, and there are also ruined bases and some kind of enemy that also has active bases on the planet. You get regular attacks by flying drones (they're announced) and you need to defend your base until you build turrets and stuff. The tech tree has some decent progression via XP you get by doing stuff and surviving, you unlock various class vehicles, and build everything out of blocks. Eventually you can build a space ship, and afterwards bigger space ships that also function as bases (storing stuff, building stuff, growing food), and you need to travel to various planets to gather some resources for more advanced stuff.

I didn't find anything spectacular about any of it, but everything is done pretty well so overall it's a good time. I also never played multiplayer which presumably adds some depth. I just enjoyed the effort of gather resources, slowly upgrading your infrastructure, building bases and space ships, and exploring the planet and later other planets.

Edit: Thinking about the game made me curious, turns out I played about 2 years ago and since then a lot has changed including travel between solar systems in a randomly generated universe. It sounds a lot better now so I will be giving it another spin, I've played 99h so far which is decent for me and I definitely feel I got good value out of it.

Koobze fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 7, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
How does Empyrion compare vs Space Engineers? I've played quite a bit of the latter, but it always felt a little too sterile to really get too deep into.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Space Engineers is a bit more engineer-y - the properties of your ship can matter a lot, destruction of components is more fine grained, different thrusters are modelled much differently. E:GS is a much more toned down physics model however there is a *ton* more in regards to exploration, NPCs, traders, and so forth. Basically if you like one you'll like the other.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Captain Monkey posted:

My girlfriend sucks at numbers but likes making nice looking parks, so in planet coaster we just turned on unlimited money and then i taught her how to adjust prices because you can still see how much money things are making.

It wasn't fun for her, so she went back to ignoring it and made some kickass maps with cool cave pathways and poo poo. In comparison all my parks make loving bank but look like poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Koobze posted:

Edit: Thinking about the game made me curious, turns out I played about 2 years ago and since then a lot has changed including travel between solar systems in a randomly generated universe. It sounds a lot better now so I will be giving it another spin, I've played 99h so far which is decent for me and I definitely feel I got good value out of it.

It feels like a cheaper version of ARK+No Man's Sky. For $8 It doesn't feel like I got ripped off, but it is loving clunky.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Empyrion is pretty fun but mining is super tedious and combat is a pain because it kinda feels like it's designed for people who's been playing since early early access. Also I'm not sure if they have changed it since I last played but repairing your ships or structures is massively inconvenient. Your stuff is made up of blocks so if an enemy sprays you with bullets from very away several dozen blocks can be damaged and you have to manually use the repair gun on each one.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This thread is a weird reflection of my psyche seeing as I just reinstalled Empyrion and got started on the Oxygen game.

Empyrion: No Man’s Budget, without the figment that you’re in a simulation. I’m about 30 minutes in and it’s ok. I hoovered up some resources, looked at some pretty vistas, rode a bike, found a broken hover bike.

ONI: I made a toilet. My drones used it. Then they died because of excess carbon dioxide. I’m not really sure what to make out of this game: the progression looks from the tech free to be very limited but I may be being unfair to its

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The progression in ONI happens mainly in your brain. Or in other words the unlocks aren't just something you plop down by itself. You need to build whole engineering contraptions to use them safely.