Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
This thread is to discuss the multitudes of base building games, city building games, railroad games, and other management style games out there, especially after the release of big ones like Factorio, City Skylines and Transport Fever 1 &2. I'm hoping it will be a place where players can come to get suggestions about other management style games that they'd like to play from people who are already playing them. The existing threads should be used for detailed advice on how to play or improve your game, this thread is really for discovery.

Existing (active) base buildings threads:

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Oxygen Not Included
Factorio
Terraria
Subnautica
Satisfactory
Rimworld
Stardew Valley(More of a farming game?)
Astroneer
My Time At Portia
7 Days to Die
Kenshi
Cities Skylines
Prison Architect
Surviving Mars
Sim City Retro Thread
Transport Fever
OTTD
Tropico

If there's more than these, let me know and I'll add those. This thread will be focused on PvE play or co-op play, not PvP play.

My current faves are Factory Town a more accessible (imo of course) version of Factorio (my review https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991369617/recommended/860890/) Railway Empireand Autonauts. Astroneer, and Terraria are quite popular as well. I also have a lot of time (over 1,000 hours) in Oxygen Not Included.

Popular City Building games include Banished, Tropico 6, Rise to Ruins, Foundation, Kingdoms and Castles, Dawn of Man, Surviving the Aftermath (Epic Store Early Access exclusive), Frostpunk, Anno 1800 (Epic/Uplay exclusive; game requires Uplay so just get it there), Workers and Resources in the Soviet Republic.

Popular games in the railroad genre specifically are Transport Fever, Railway Empire, Mashinky, Railroad Corporation, and OTTD.

YouTubers in this space:
Katherine of Sky
Nookrium
Orbital Potato
Raptor
Nilaeus
Conflict Nerd
Sky Storme
Colonel Failure

I hope this is helpful to folks and I'm happy to answer questions and consider changes.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Mindustry is a good one, it's like Factorio but the graphics are better and it just seems like a general improvement, I haven't actually played Factorio so I can't compare them well but I really enjoyed Mindustry.

I have not been able to get into that game. But that's often true for me with these games, I think I played Terraria for 40 hours plus before it finally clicked for me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I bought Astroneer when it first came out a long time ago in early access and didn't put a lot of time in. is there anything there worth putting time into? Is it better alone or with friends?

It's certainly better with friends, that said out of my 600 hours with it I only had a single day co op with my son, all the rest was single player. What base building games do you like?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rise to Ruins on sale right now.
Empyrion Galactic Survival

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

manero posted:

Also, in case you've been living under a rock, KatherineOfSky is a good place to find new games like this!

Yeah I'll add her and a couple of other youtubers as well who do games in this space. Biffa used to, but he's off fixing traffic in Cities Skylines sadly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I would put Banished in a city building megathread, a megathread which needs to exist but first I need to get this one going. If this one goes well, I'll create a city building megathread which would include Banished, Anno, Surviving Mars, the new Aftermath game, and a bunch of others.

Two Point Hospital and Megaquarium are more like simulation games instead of base building games. A hospital is not really a base :). Simulation games are interesting too but I can only do so much :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

KillHour posted:

Does prison architect count? You could argue it's a tycoon game, but I feel like it has enough similarities with Dwarf Fortress and Rim World.

I think so, is there a Prison Architect thread and is it active? I'll add it if so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OK so post games that you have played a decent amount in and recommend and I'll add them to the OP so in case this gets seriously big people can still find recommended games. Sorry should have thought of this at first.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If you look at a definitive base builder such as Dwarf Fortress/Minecraft vs a definitive city builder such as Cities Skylines, I think there's just too much difference between those games where that a fan of one type would automatically be a fan of the other.

That's what I want to do here is give people who like similar games a place to find and talk about why they like them. If everything becomes everything :) the thread won't be very useful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A guy named Raptor does a lot of videos on games like this, and lately so has Colonel Failure, kind of.

What do you guys say the difference between a base builder and a city builder is? In particular, I’d be interested in the categorization of these two as an example: Anno 1800 and Foundation.

Wow I kept that window open a while.

You don't have a base in Anno 1800, you have cities, right? The approach to a city builder is totally different than in a base builder. In a city builder you are focused on keeping a lot of people happy, in a base builder the focus is smaller. While Dwarf Fortress will eventually have a lot of dwarfs (if you are lucky :) ) it's still focused on building a base for those dwarfs to live in. Those dwarfs have names and skills as well, it's not like in City Skylines where yeah they might have names but at the end of the day they are just pixels needing to go somewhere and have no real skills or unique impact on the city. Anno doesn't even have named citizens.

All of this is part of a bigger genre of simulation games, but again I'm not sure that everyone is looking for the same thing.

If you folks really think that city and base builders overlap and that people wouldn't be bored/disappointed then I'm happy to combine them. I just want the thread to be focused and useful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

This is my jam, these type of games and 'Set them up and watch them go' games, which I can't even begin to describe really. Thanks for making this thread!

Sure thing :) A bunch of smaller indie base builders came out this past week and I was thinking a mega thread made way more sense than starting multiple threads that would simply die away. The biggest of those by the way is [url=https://store.steampowered.com/app/979120/Autonauts/]Autonauts[/ur]. I started on it, but the teaching of the programming didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I'll go back to it later and see if I grok it better.

I've been considering it more and I do think there should be a separate city building megathread. It's funny I think going from base building to city building makes more organic sense than going from city building to base building if that makes sense. Like I was saying I don't think someone who really liked Cities Skylines is going to necessarily like Minecraft et al at all. But I could see easily going from Minecraft to Cities Skylines.

Also one note, I'm not mentioning whether or not a game is in Early Access. I'd rather people evaluate the games on where they are at the moment vs the labels the devs have put on them. Factorio is in 'early access' but it's already sold over a million copies. Whereas Stonehearth, they admitted that they 'released' it and it wasn't done. And you can that tell other games have been 'released' in a poor state as well. So I don't want to get caught up in labels because that won't help anyone who wants to play a game they'd enjoy. Most of my 1,000+ hours of Oxygen Not Included for example were spent when the game was in early access and I'm sure there are players of Factorio who are in the five digits in hours played.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

That does look sort of interesting but I don't own any consoles :)

Yes it's unfortunate they didn't port it to Steam like they did with Dragon Quest XI. Maybe they will sometime in the future, it's a great base builder.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I didn't play Frostpunk, do you folks think it's a base builder or more of a village style game?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Speaking of all of these games, one of my favorite YouTube channels is right in this demographic: Neebs Gaming.

I went to his page and didn't get any kind of a real base building vibe so I didn't add him, sorry.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Stevefin posted:

Village since the only threat is the climate around you, even some of the later laws that say this will kill 1/3 1/4 of your population happens instantly, or not building troops, your recruiting scouts to comb the frostland before blizzards hit, and outside of main campaign your not setting up outposts

OK I'll be sure to add it to the City/Village Megathread when I make it. Which will be when this one kind of settles down and folks are happy or at least satisfied with this OP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Any love for the really old school builders like Impression Games series? (Caesar, Zeus, Cleopatra, etc...) I'd buy those on a Friday night and next thing I knew it was time to go to work on monday! I really liked the resource and trade walk management of those games and feel nothing has come close since.

I'll include them in the city building mega thread. GamerZakh is really good with them if you want to watch some vids.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If you recommend an early access game just be sure it’s good 'as is' not 'as it will/could be'. Other than that, feel free.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Kenshi is awesome and I had to uninstall it because I need to focus on work and school.

What I really like is games that allow you to base build in order to supply and train raiders to then attack other bases. I was training up an army of ninja robots to exterminate the Holy Nation and having a blast raiding, kidnapping and executing holy nation prisoners in my gladiator pit.

How different is Kenshi from Rimworld?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hihohe posted:

Yeah kenshi isnt about making your guys happy. Its about kitting them out and training them to stomp rear end and then getting stomped anyway because gently caress why are the cannibals and the shek coming at the same time.

Doesn’t sound like the focus is base building.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Synastren posted:

Nilaus (Twitch | YouTube) is a fantastic streamer who specializes in Factorio, but also has done a lot with Satisfactory and Oxygen Not Included. Dude's actual career is as a logistical manager in Europe, so he has a very different sort of sensibilities from any number of other players.

On a completely different note:

I cannot fathom why you've included Stardew Valley in this category; there's a whole category of farming games (e.g., Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing) that don't exactly have any sort of focus on building any sort of logistical nexus. For that matter, Terraria nominally has base building--which is more important than in Stardew!--and that game is hardly one I would consider a base builder.

My personal understanding of base building games involves creating some apparatus to automate things to let the player progress to ever more complex undertakings. Anno is more like a base builder than a city builder (virtually every thing the player does involves supply chain management and logistics, rather than zoning and traffic patterns), but that doesn't conform I guess? The genre identified for this thread is unclear, at best.

Some noteworthy recommendations, though; gonna take a hard look into Raft.

Added Nilaus. Put a parenthetical around Stardew Valley.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

City Builder Megathread is up, link here.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey guys can we talk about Rise of Ruins in the city thread now that I've made it? So more city builder types will see that there's interest in the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zesty posted:

Hey Mayveena. Thanks for coming to a game thread you’ve never been to before, provide no content, and then spam an ad for your thread.

:one:

Do I get something for the spam?? Please enlighten me!!!!

The purpose of these threads is for people who may be playing a game that they like but want to discover other games that are like the game that they like. That's it. There are so many indie games in both base building and city/village building that it'd be silly to start a thread for all of them. Thus the mega thread. Seems to be working as intended.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Raptor is doing a series on Stranded Sails. If other games (Outer Worlds) weren't coming out today I might have gotten into it. Raptor's channel is linked in the OP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Wow factory town owns. I finally picked it up this week after going back and forth on it for months thanks to your recommendation Mayveena and wound up staying up til 5 am playing it while in a discord cfhst with a friend of mine, also picking it up for the first time. What a delightful indie gem. The marketplace and mining systems feel extremely well realized, and it actually reminds me a lot of Roads & Boats in how it models certain subsystems.

Yep! I love it!! It's so good y'all. And the dev is awesome, be sure to join Factory Town Discord!

https://discord.gg/z5TV789

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Wow factory town owns. I finally picked it up this week after going back and forth on it for months thanks to your recommendation Mayveena and wound up staying up til 5 am playing it while in a discord cfhst with a friend of mine, also picking it up for the first time. What a delightful indie gem. The marketplace and mining systems feel extremely well realized, and it actually reminds me a lot of Roads & Boats in how it models certain subsystems.

Yep! I love it!! It's so good y'all. And the dev is awesome, be sure to join Factory Town Discord!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

triplicate

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 2, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

d

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 2, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

People seem to enjoy it but I thought it was kind of meh. Feels like Stardew except more of a focus on building instead of farming. I really do not like the mining/digging part of the game which is pretty necessary to get materials for building. It is on the PC Xbox Gamepass so I tried it there for cheap without having to buy it outright though so I might go back at some point to re-visit it.

My feeling as well. Felt like drinking milk when I wanted whiskey.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I think Don’t Starve is fine here. You have to make some kind of base right? I’ve never been able to play for more than an hour at a time without dying myself.

How does alt F4 save your dude?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone play Eco? Thoughts?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Thanks. I searched for it but the only thing that came up was this thread.

All of the existing base building threads are in the OP.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OgNar posted:

Here's the link to the Kenshi thread if you couldn't find it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862574

Added.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well this is going pretty well, I think I'll start a Megathread for Simulations such as Planet Zoo/Coaster, Truck/Train/etc etc Simulator, Railway Empires/Railroad Tycoon/Railroad Corporation, Megaquarium and others you can think of. I know there's an OTTD thread (or was) and a Transport Fever thread already. Please post the link for any other simulations by quoting this, thanks! Also mention any Youtubers in this space. The thread will go up tomorrow.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

vandalism posted:

There is a game out called Surviving the Aftermath. It is on EGS. I got it for $20 and it's like a cross between banished and civilization. You have a town to build with buildable roads and stuff and people to keep happy, along with groups immigrating and stuff. Then there is an overworld with a map to explore with scout type characters. It's rough now but I think it will be worth $20. It's not as good as banished yet but I think they are doing work on it. Also it's paradox games and I've had good luck with the games they put out. Might be worth a look.

Oh. People already know about it. Ahh well.

Yeah it's related to Surviving Mars. PLEASE talk about games that you are enjoying!!!! I didn't realize it was $20, I'll pick it up now :). Dawn of Man is a little like Banished as well. I eventually found it too basic but it compares favorably to the simplicity of Banished.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

queeb posted:

so what is the best like, build a base and defend it kinda thing. Im leaning towards rimworld, since i already own that and the thread is huge and popular. guessing its good?

It is probably the best in that space. There are Billions is a thing as well but not sure of its Early Access status.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks for the correction, I'd lost track of it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

I am currently hopelessly addicted to Dragon Quest Builders 2 on Switch. It's very much like Rimworld/DF in that you're building rooms for settlers to live in who do automated tasks for you and other rooms for stuff like dining/kitchen/bathrooms/etc. It's a lot of fun so far and you can be as detailed as you want with the building, the only thing it requires for a room is a 2 high wall and a door, no ceiling necessary. Anything past that is just window dressing but the building system is surprisingly easy to use as well. I'm still only playing the new Jumbo Demo they put out on Switch, I have maybe 6 hours in this so far and it's still going so there's a ton of meat to sink your teeth into to get a feel for it.

It's on PS4 as well, love both the first and the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

Can I ask how much more there is to the game past what I've seen on this first island? Are there lots of new building materials and recipes and stuff to keep busy or is it basically more of the same? Also is there ever a point where they just let you go build and not feed you new stuff through quest rewards?

You get a lot of new stuff. Once you beat the final boss I assume you go into essentially creative mode like you did in the first game. I have not gotten to the final boss yet though, still on the last island.