Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd really like more city builders with a focus on organic growth again instead of plopping down every last building. Not that I have anything against Tropico, I just miss that other style.

What city builders have organic growth in 'em?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

that song of syx game is not good, sorry

Explain.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

yeah it's just too unfinished at this point but it might be good in 2-3 years

the ui is really really bad, the game doesn't explain itself at all

it's telling that community seems to only be able to produce guides up to building a few farms and a warehouse... beyond that it's just trial and error

i also felt like building things was really obtuse and it wasn't clear what was needed to actually make a building, some of them require furniture placement and there's no way to tell where the furniture should be or what the outlines are

Now that's a post I can agree with. I think there's a lot of promise in it but it's, well, whoof.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I just want to take a small place and make it prosperous. Where people are happy and they like me.

This is honestly why I'm still playing Tropico 3 even though I've beaten it at this point. The missions get harder but not really because once you get tobacco/sugar up for the cigar/rum factories you win, but drat if I don't feel good about giving my tiny island social security and same-sex marriages and enough food and money to keep everyone happy.

As for Factorio I enjoy it to a point, because I suck at math/planning but enjoy working on one problem at a time. Satisfactory captures this perfectly because the 3D layout encourages dumb spaghetti and nonsense belts as you slowly get all the pieces in order so you can make new item 52.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

What is the best Tropico? I think I own dang near every one from various sales.

I've played 1, 3 and 4 so far and own all of them. I think 3 is one of the best ones to start with as you get Juanito and Betty Boom as the radio DJs. And 4 is basically 3.5 with more stuff, so starting from 3 lets you really appreciate what they added in 4.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Poil posted:

Just go 4, it's better than 3 in pretty much every way. :v:
2 is... different. Personally I refunded 6 and that was my best decision with that one. 5 is ok to good. It has some steps forward and some steps back, but you can play multiplayer if that's something you wanted to do (it also runs cooler on the computer). I've tried that once with a friend and you each build a city on the same island and can send armies to attack each other while competing for objectives. Surprisingly it's not terrible.

I don't understand why some people like Juanito, all he does is shout. Penultimo and Sunny are the best radio hosts by far. Especially since most of the other characters also come on the radio. For example the opening of a museum of modern art is done by General Rodriguez and Father Esteban will happily come on air to express his joy over a new pub or rum distillery (also makes an anonymous call in to say that god is most displeased if you enact a prohibition).

Juanito is so ENTHUSIASTIC it's wholesome, he's so into you being EL PRESIDENTE and I enjoy it! It contrasts nicely with how much Betty Boom HATES MY GUTS. hates them. "god will forgive you. the revolution will not."

I'm working on the original campaign in 3 and loving it a lot even though I've "solved" it and when I'm done I'll do 4 and then move up. It's not a hugely original game but it does what it needs to and is fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"They Are Billions" is 20% off at Humble Bundle; would you describe it as a management game?

Absolutely not, it's a RTS focused on turtling with a surprisingly awful main campaign. I like it, but only in freeplay/survival mode.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone got any tips on A-Train Classic? I love the idea of it but drat if I don't suck at the tutorial level alone!

e: More detail, I build some nice tracks and then I think "okay done" and yet the population isn't increasing yet and ???? what do they need? Materials? MORE trains?

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 9, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Tried A-Train PC Classic and refunded it. The fact it's a Nintendo DS game with all that entails ported directly to PC is a big mark against it for me. I really want to play a game like that because the description of it sounds amazing but I can't see myself staring at it for hours on end. I appreciate it even exists on PC I guess but I also wish the developers put some more effort into it (like proper fullscreen and higher resolution UI at the bare minimum!) before asking 60 whole bucks for it :holymoley:

Meanwhile I just took three hours to finish/solve the first scenario and I kind of love this game. Balancing passenger rails with material rails was an interesting challenge on that island, and seeing the little towns develop into towns with ferris wheels as I got them populated/material-ed was a cool touch. I just had to get used to the timing of the game - I had to fast-forward a lot so my numbers could grow.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I'm glad you get to enjoy it because it seems like a good game. For me the technical side of it is not something I can overlook, though.

That's completely fair. And to be clear I agree that it's insanely overpriced and I only bought it thanks to the sale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Closure to the compelling "John Murdoch waffles over a city builder nobody else cares about" saga:

Turns out I'm just a big dummy who didn't read the Origin page closely enough.

I'm genuinely happy to see a success story this morning :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:sigh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Planetbase?

Yes! I love this game. It is not complex but balancing needs vs production is super fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:sigh:

I wanted to like Railway Empires but it managed to make signals into the most obtuse things possible so I'm stuck with only basic lines and that's no fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Hmmm. They actually changed the signals so they'd be more intuitive. What's your issue specifically?

Cannot figure out what they actually do / which way the train is supposed to go if I put one down.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Did you play the first chapter of the campaign? That's the tutorial.

Yes. Did all but one of the objectives.

It's okay, I'm not very good at train games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tell me about the best train games!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The only games I don't have from those recs are Transport Fever 2 and OpenTTD. Do I need to buy anything for OpenTTD to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Dwarf Fortress is very very well known throughout gaming. ACS not so much. That is why DF is in and ACS is out.

What's the point of an OP that only highlights the popular stuff and not the hot new cool stuff?