Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Alkydere posted:

Also on They Are Billions, I wanted to like it but the game had a cycle of sneaking one, just ONE loving zombie past my defenses early on no matter how well I patrolled. That point before you finally get any sort of defenses or military units on the map in campaign modes is absolutely perilous and I got tired of the number of times I experienced "I got 9 single zombies patrolling my way only for the 10th to show up at a colonist's tent and ask them if they've heard the good word of undeath"

I found a lot of this was because there was little gaps that you can't otherwise see without enabling the grid. It's really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Anime Store Adventure posted:

A joke youtube is Let’s Game It Out and he mostly plays management games and horribly breaks them in some way.

He’s kinda funny, but I actually find them interesting because of the creative way he breaks things sometimes.

His zoo tycoon series is batshit, but it's still insane how good it is.

Fucker made a city

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like doing the huge maps but then i cultivate my little towns and see how fast they grow in comparison to the ones without me. Really fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Orv posted:

Guild 2 isn't really worse per se, it's one of those sequels that is enough of a departure that it really presents as a different game. Guild 1 is definitely gonna show its age but it's a remarkably deep - relatively speaking, both for the time and the game type - game that could serve up a whole lot of time if you sink your teeth into it.

I think my main problem is that it seems really glitchy for 90% of the things I actually want to do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Volmarias posted:

That's a ridiculous copout. As someone who was a ~CoMmUtEr RaIlRoAd~ user for about a decade, platforms were decided by timetable, not necessarily line, and there were plenty of times when 2 minutes before arrival there's an announcement that whoops actually it's going to be platform 3 and several hundred people all rush to go to the other side of the tracks before their ride shows up.

I mean, same. But that's not how its supposed to work in the real world, it just happens due to any number of reasons, including signalling fuckups, trains being late, etc. The game doesn't model fuckups because its not fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Next you'll tell me that eating 30 loaves of bread won't heal this gaping hole in my chest.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

zedprime posted:

Most people playing it end up falling into the rehab camp because its just easier to manage. For a game that set out to make you think about the hard decisions in for profit prison systems it sure settled on modeling and encouraging the Scandinavian model.

The developers are English and are incredibly left on the political scale, so its not surprising that they leaned into the rehabilitation camp. It almost feels like all the hard punishment you have in the game, you're still encouraged to be nice about it. Death row, but you still want to give them books and a way to work out, etc. So for anyone who's on the fence about it being a game primarily about punishment, it doesn't seem to be.

That said, their reoffend mechanic is basically useless. You either set it to 100% of not reoffending or accept you're gonna get a random game over at some point.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 18, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Volmarias posted:

I thought the problem with that approach was that you need to clean each shower area daily, and each cell requires a guard to walk up and open / close the door for maintenance, unless you do something like set all the doors to a schedule?

And yeah, I'm really surprised at how Tropico didn't let you lean into the awful aspects when one of the success metrics is "how much money can you siphon off into your bank account"

You can set the doors the schedules in prison architect. Later on you can control them all from a central room, too. Cell blocks all open at the same time, etc.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I now suddenly understand why my boss did a nervous laugh when i mentioned my favourite game as a child was Evil Genius and that it was a shame they never made a sequel. Fairly sure he's still got friends in Rebellion

And this year? Jesus christ. Take my money.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 14, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lobotomy corporation was a lot of fun, but some of the translation in that game was so dire that it would sometimes tell you the opposite of the correct thing to do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ShootaBoy posted:

They got a whole new translation done.

Oh no poo poo?

Time to redownload.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Captain Monkey posted:

There’s also a sandbox mode but I have never understood the point of unlimited money/happiness modes in management games.

My girlfriend sucks at numbers but likes making nice looking parks, so in planet coaster we just turned on unlimited money and then i taught her how to adjust prices because you can still see how much money things are making.

It wasn't fun for her, so she went back to ignoring it and made some kickass maps with cool cave pathways and poo poo. In comparison all my parks make loving bank but look like poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Super old game, but dark cloud has procedural dungeons and town building. I know its not strictly what you're after, but i'll always jump at the opportunity to suggest it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WarpedNaba posted:

I could never figure out how to properly turn the rocket to obtain orbit.

Rule of thumb:

1. Go up until about 10,000
2. Slowly turn towards the horizon, facing east (or west either way you'll get orbit).
3. Continue burning, it'll be easier when you're out of atmosphere which starts going away at 10k, so you should be flying now.
4. Go to your map and burn slowly while on the map. You'll see a blue line eventually go into a circle
5. There's two points on the line, AP and PE (correct me if i'm wrong people, it's been like 5 years since i played). You want to get both of those points to above 75000. Ideally 100,000.
6. Congrats you're now in orbit. Good luck getting down.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

zedprime posted:

10k is high since 1.0

Oh for real? Where are we at for ideal turns now? I'll probably have to pick it back up.

Just Offscreen posted:

Also, one Happy Meal Mighty Kids meal with apple slices and chocolate milk. Thanks

Am i missing something?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

queeb posted:

if anyone hasnt seen, the menu updates their doing for dwarf fortress do look insanely nice.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/975370/view/4639224265623959693

and its mouse driven now as well

I can't imagine mouse driven dwarf fort being anywhere near as fast as just using the keyboard commands, tbh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wouldn't recommend omerta to anyone, even if it was free, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I go back to factorio occasionally because now i know the problem, i can just speedrun it. That's fun in its own way.