Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I rented Blast Corps once and that game has one built-in save slot. To erase it and start over, you have to hold the start button on console power-up, but there was no way to know this without the manual. So when I played it, all the levels were beat already.

For those who don't know, the goal in each Blast Corps level is to blow up buildings that are blocking the path of a (slow) runaway vehicle. Once you do that, you are free to re-enter any level and clean up any remaining buildings and find the collectables. So the game I got to play was just a bunch of levels missing 90% of their buildings with no goals, objectives, or instruction ever presented.

I imagine this was a pretty common experience for people renting it. They should have just made a save slot option on the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I briefly had an Atari game from three decades ago where I started on the right side of some castle and repeatedly died to a monster that chased me after a bit of wandering. Couldn't remember the name if I tried.

Sounds like Thunder Castle on Intellivision.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ur in my world now posted:

I rented bad game Mario Is Missing for the SNES when I was 6 solely because it said Mario on the box. It did not go well.

Yeah this was probably my biggest rental disappointment on the SNES. I don't think I even knew it was an educational game after playing it for a while.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

Man when I was a kid, my best friend kept pronouncing “plague” like “pla-goo” (rhymes with Mr Magoo) and I couldn’t figure out what the hell he was talking about till we were playing diablo one day. I corrected him and his mom told me off because “some people find it rude to correct their pronunciations”. I still can’t understand what was going on in her head.

E: just to be clear, they were English native speakers.

Speaking of pla-gue and games where I have no idea what's happening
https://youtu.be/Vpuv7VPb2rA?si=G34Z8SSAIPh4JaWq