Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

So, I had this game for DOS (it releases in like a bajillion formats).

Back in the day, a way some games saved on space was to put a lot of the plot text in the manual or a secondary book. This was one of them. Instead of printing it out in game, it'd just say "Read #43" or similar. Companies would often print a lot of stuff the game never uses, insane stuff (I remember one game told an entirely nonexistent side quest with space travel in its stuff), or false hints, and stuff was usually printed 'out of order' to keep you from cheating.

This wasn't the issue with this game.

...I lost the manual.

ETA: For retro fantasy art fans, yes, that is totally a digitized Boris Vallejo painting, by the way.

Dragon Wars! I'm, uh, slightly familiar with that game! :)

However, I had another game, Future Wars where I lost the manual and was totally hosed because you couldn't even start the game without passing the copy protection screen. When I did have the manual, I still couldn't get past the second screen of the game. It sure was something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Golden Axe Warrior isn't terrible once you get going, but it's a little rough starting off. The sword has a really small hitbox. Once you get the axe (bigger hitbox) and more than three hearts, it's a little easier to breathe. It's not as good as an actual Zelda game, but it's as close as you were going to get on the Master System.