Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think I may have found an AI exploit. Approximately 300 worth of enemy threat chose to attack my 24 strength settlement guarded by a single 14 strength fleet (difficulty 7 across the board for the AI). It of course easily destroyed my base. However, the units just continue to sit there because I keep rebuilding my base which they love to concentrate on, so my dinky strength 14 ship's units are slowly whittling away at the enemy. It started at strength 340 and is already down to 260, continuing to hang out there. Maybe Blood in the Water should be on by default at difficulties 7+.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

AtomikKrab posted:

Thotmix got linked on that ama. and responded.

Yeah that was pretty cool and fun. Some other things from this week that are totally new for me were having Chris pin this series, by itself the first couple of days, at the Steam discussion forums and this guy deigning to pop in and give me feedback on a couple of the videos as well .

I try to avoid turning stuff on SA into a 'hey look at all the cool stuff happening on my channel' deal because that's not really the point of posting here, but there's definitely been a lot of firsts for me in recent days. And now I've got some good direction in terms of improving that bad editing.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I didn't know there was even a sequel until I saw this LP. Game is pretty cool, but the bug that causes some units to never get repaired or reclaimed is a little too much for me on top of learning the game and after a few hours I couldn't even get the 'fix' to work at all so all those golems and citadels just sat there at 0% forever.

Once it's fixed, I'll dive back in. I'm glad this somehow got released against all odds.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

doctorfrog posted:

:ohdear: I'm sure he's just wiped out after his marathon AMA on reddit.

This is making me sad. I knew it was tough to get the game made, but this is brutal. I feel really bad for him. It sounds like it's doing well on sales, but I might send him some cash after I get paid.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Luceid posted:

I didn't know there was even a sequel until I saw this LP. Game is pretty cool, but the bug that causes some units to never get repaired or reclaimed is a little too much for me on top of learning the game and after a few hours I couldn't even get the 'fix' to work at all so all those golems and citadels just sat there at 0% forever.

Once it's fixed, I'll dive back in. I'm glad this somehow got released against all odds.

The fix has been uploaded. The patch notes have a bit more to them. A few highlights:
  • Clicking on an Objective will now tag it with an Importance. Clicking once makes an Objective High importance, putting it at the top of the displayed list. Clicking again will make it Low importance, putting that objective at the bottom. Clicking a third time makes it Normal.
  • Paraphrasing: Some text boxes have been updated to match the mechanics, notably hacking
  • Raid Engines now show on the galaxy map
  • Hunter Waves option is renamed to Threat Waves
  • Grant Technology Hack cost increased to 20 see previous update

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 28, 2019

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Thanks for that. Chris noted that it didn't appear to harm sales which is nice. By all appearances the Arcen Machine is back in full swing.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
Galactic Scavenging (27:55)

I haul out the old AI War - Chess comparison and do some discussion of the typical approach of beginner vs. veteran to the game. We see Data Centers, Tech Vaults, Warden Fleet Bases, Zenith Power Generator, and our first Citadel. Some hacking is done and we do an ill-advised expansion to another nearby system. Ill-advised on purpose, because starting here I'm playing badly on purpose as I explain in order to get us into some trouble - not too much, but some - and demonstrate why this stuff matters as we see the affects from increased AI resistance while it's in the current neutered state for this run.

Up Next

Impatience will be the next general theme as the typical false sense of security you can feel as a new player will sooner or later raise its head. Also will have a bit about the 1.003 patch as it'll be the first episode on that release.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Hubris (27:36)

Explanation of the 1.003 patch stuff and then we expand some more. Gate-raiding gets some explanation and we add another system to our empire. We find a couple of new toys; the Zenith Matter Converter is IMO sort of a poor cousin to the ZPG, but it's still a cool find. And then we discover the legendary SuperTerminal. I'm curious to see AI War 2's implementation of that little ray of sunshine.

Up Next

Continuing to poke the bear until it does something to convince us otherwhise, and moving further into the galaxy.

Amusingly a distinctively-AI War bug report came in yesterday, from someone who beat the game of difficulty 10. Favorable starting fleet and only one AI, but still.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 1, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have just noticed that getting tech through hacking does not increase the tech points required to get the next one and that's a very nice piece of design.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh hell, I didn't realize it was you, but finding your videos on Youtube drove a sale. I loved the concept of the first one but eventually got overwhelmed with micromanagement. This is great so far!

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I understand why you're doing it, and don't think you should stop, but seeing you deliberately mess up is actually kind of bugging me for some reason.

Thinking on in, I'm not really much better than a novice myself, but as far as I can tell I have some very different problems with how I approach the game. In particular, around the time where I've established my cordon around my home system I start suffering from choice paralysis; I simply have too many options. As a result I can get through the opening act decently and then just sort of... stop. I don't think I've ever done the thing where I just started gobbling up unclaimed fleets, but I also did start fiddling around in the game well before the fleets were a thing, so that might have more to do with it. shrugs

E: I should probably note that so far in most of my custom games I've selected a start position where I could limit things down to a single front relatively simply (e.g. putting myself in a cluster with one entrance/exit) which maybe could be a contributing factor. I dunno.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 30, 2019

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I recommend you start using the recently introduced priority system on the intel list, it helps propel me out of my own indecision.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

MShadowy posted:

as far as I can tell I have some very different problems with how I approach the game. In particular, around the time where I've established my cordon around my home system I start suffering from choice paralysis; I simply have too many options. As a result I can get through the opening act decently and then just sort of... stop.

Yeah there's definitely a lot of different ways a player can go when improving at these games. Right now I'm just sort of rolling based off of a combination of what I did when learning Classic and what I see players talking about on the forums (i.e., stuff like I've got 32 mobile fleet strength and 200 AIP on diff. 7, the AI is overwhelming me, this game is impossible how can I win this is BS) kind of thing. I sort of felt like if anything I leaned too much into some of the different choices/strategy discussion, but if I run into any specific 'I don't know what to do in this situation' stuff then I'll go back into that more.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Support Matters (27:09)

Funny how I keep telling myself 'ok, I'm going to limit this one to being closer to 20 minutes', then something happens in-game and … nope! Anyway, I change the resolution setting a bit to try and improve graphics, which apparently ended up making it much worse :(. So that I'll be switching back. We see how it's really not at all a good idea not to bring your support fleet(s) when deepstriking, and this coincides with the arrival of our first Instigator Base. Slightly and unnecessarily increased AIP, check! A new unwise research strategy is adopted and I experiment with a new 'fast-forwarding' method of getting through the ever-compelling turret-building and refleeting process. And more that I forgot to mention too, there's was actually a fair bit that happened in this session.

Up Next

I take a day off to handle something that badly needs doing, and then we'll jump back in for the weekend and see what fresh chaos we can find.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I‘m really enjoying the new LP. I watched a lot of your AI War 1 videos, but at some point burned out (same with the Creeper World LP - picked it up again with the switch to Particle Fleet). I liked the fast forward instead of the jump cut a lot. It was sometimes difficult to follow before, especially when multiple jumps shortly after each other happened.

Is it in any way possible to make it possible to understand what the AI says when it taunts you, or you take a planet or whatever? There are no subtitles for it and it is pretty quiet unfortunately.

One gameplay question: How much is it possible to „push“ the scouting in a certain direction? Because right now you are actually extremely close to unscouted systems on the right side (which is the direction you‘ve been going) while almost the entire left side has been explored.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Thanks. I've put suggestions on the 'Mantis' reporting website that Arcen uses for both issues. On the fast-forward thing, I think that's the best of the ideas I've gotten - another was basically 'just talk about other stuff while tedious things are being done' but … sometimes there's only so much that's worth saying without repeating myself. Appreciate your perspective. It's a little complicated because it does require me to change the way I record things, and I've started leaving a little more 'dead air' in parts instead of doing a jump-cut that I can't 'hide', if that makes any sense. I.e. if I'm just looking at a stationary screen with it paused or whatever and say something particularly stupid or repetitive or mumblemouthed I'm getting in the habit of just taking a moment, leave things where they are, and then just resay whatever knowing I'll cut the garbage out later and since the screen doesn't move anywhere in that timeframe it won't be obvious. But if we're in the middle of a battle or something - couple moments in the last video where the fleets were moving from planet to planet - I think I'm going to err on the side of just leaving the dead air in or adding some commentary in post if possible rather than doing a particularly jarring cut like I've gotten used to doing over the course of the past year.

** AI voices - nope, I've actually got the sound on that louder than everything else and I may actually make it quieter because you can't understand it anyway. I only get the occasional word. To get what they are saying, I'd have to make it so loud that you wouldn't be able to hear anything else, including me. There's no translation option or anything. Honestly this is one of the few things in the game that makes me scratch my head and say 'Wait, this feature got through EA how?'

** Scouting - As much as you want it you'd like to spend hacking points to do it. Otherwhise, not at all and it's totally random. You might be interested in this long response from the man himself on why it is the way it is over on the steam forums. I replied in the original thread on Arcen's forum, but basically I understand why they did it, it's better than the Classic scouting, but I don't entirely agree. Which is fine, it's not my game :).

ETA: Also, since you're far from the only one who burned out on the AI War series, I'd be interested in any ideas on how to keep this one fresh - i.e. what stuff seems overly repetitive over time and so on. There is a certain formula to the game, and particularly the early-game I don't know how to keep it interesting without literally cutting straight from the setup screen to: "And after several hours of off-screen play, here's the second half starting from well into the mid-game". Cause you know, that's not really an LP at that point, it's a highlight reel :P

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 31, 2019

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

That post on the rationale for having scouting work the way it does was quite interesting. I definitely understand and support the goal of making the scouting system less of a chore and time waster in comparison to AI War 1. I guess just having to roll with the way the systems get explored or using hacking to force explore systems is a pretty good solution. The one tweak I can think of would be doing something like increasing the chance that a system gets explored the closer it is to one of the systems you aleady currently control.

As for the burning out, two thoughts about that.
First, this might seem simplistic, but I watch LPs because I find the games they show to be interesting. When a LP (or the game) becomes extremely repetitive, or nothing relatively new happens, well at some point it simply feels like a waste of time. The LPer can do some stuff to keep it interesting longer, or break up some of that repetitiveness, but only so much.
The second thing builds up on that: A LP does not have to run forever or show 100% of the game. Its completely fine to say: I‘ve shown pretty much everything the game has for gameplay variety and story, the LP is finished. Or to go and do some serious time jumps in order to skip the tedium and only show some highlights or quickly get to the new parts.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That makes a lot of sense I think. One thing I'm really good at (not just on AI War) is overcommitting; deciding way too far ahead of time how much I'm going to do on a series before it's known whether or not that's going to be interesting to anyone beyond me. Probably the original MOO is the only project where that ended up being even arguably the right call. With the first AI War I tried to do the whole expansion focus thing to keep things fresh - and I'm still legit not through all the content on it yet - and I ended up in a place where I was showing about a third of each run, give or take.

Good food for thought for me to consider a new approach while I get through the rest of this beginner game.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 1, 2019

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Hacking Spree (22:08)

After talking about how Custom Fleets are currently OP and showing the swap ship lines mechanic, the discussion shifts to the importance of research in having a competitive collection of fleet assets. Most of the visible Tech Vaults are then taken down, resulting in a modest increase - we're basically up to nearly Mk III on average now.

Up Next

More expansion - we just really need to see more of the map at this point. I think it's probably an opportune time to talk about chokepoints.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's the original MOO project?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If nothing else you really need to go back and finish the showdown device run of AIW because I want to see your reaction to what they do.

And if you're up for it do an exodian blade run because it gives you the single most powerful unit in the game to play with.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

PerniciousKnid posted:

What's the original MOO project?

Love the username! Also, what I was referring to is the LP that got me started on SA really - did one before it but abandoned it fairly quickly and it frankly wasn't very good. Master of Orion 1(aka MOO) is in my opinion one of the handful of best strategy games ever made, despite its age. I played through all 10 races on Impossible, the hardest difficulty, winning once with each - took 17 playthroughs and that's less than I expected it to require. Impossible is difficult enough to challenge the very best players, who will win most but not all of the time. It's where my avatar came from - one of the readers was kind enough to donate that to me. It's also the reason why I'm even on YouTube, as someone in that thread suggested I should stream the game which I still would like to do sometime, but it was sort of the push I needed to get over my insecurities and just go freaking do it and eventually learn to not completely suck at it. That LP is now in the Archives and on the Master List. I recommend the fan art in the Mrrshan run highly, while the Sakkra one was the best game of the bunch for gameplay reasons.

@ Sindai - that will for sure happen. Right now my plan is to finish this walkthrough, get into a standard AI War 2 game and once that's underway, reactivate the other LPs on a reduced 1-episode-per-week basis. Finishing the Showdown and doing the Exodian Blade is my minimum goal for Classic - I may also do a hardest-settings-possible 10/10 setup just because it'd be oh so very short and for the lolz at how mercilessly the AI would crush my pathetic arse (and anyone else's for that matter) given such an advantage.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 2, 2019

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Also, for anyone who wants a peek at what AI War 2 looks like when you make it angry, Chris Park did a stream of him losing (twice) to Diff-9 AIs. A good spot to maybe check out is a bit before the 15-minute mark and for 5-10 mins. afterwards. Gets his brain beat in while just trying to get out of his own system by the Hunter/Warden fleets, there's Level-9 Marauders about, and the Level-9 Nanocausts haven't even shown up at that point.

You don't want to make it angry. You wouldn't like it when it's angry. I also think the ability to make just sheer chaos galaxies in this version is really great, almost like watching the Covenant and Flood fight in Halo. It could get a lot worse than this - I'm envisioning four or five high-level AIs with Civil War on, then throwing Marauders/Macrophage/Nanocaust in with them and a strong Dark Spire faction to feed off of everything. The point wouldn't be to win (you wouldn't), but to laugh your head off at the sheer insanity of it all.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Thotimx posted:

Love the username! Also, what I was referring to is the LP that got me started on SA really - did one before it but abandoned it fairly quickly and it frankly wasn't very good. Master of Orion 1(aka MOO) is in my opinion one of the handful of best strategy games ever made, despite its age. I played through all 10 races on Impossible, the hardest difficulty, winning once with each - took 17 playthroughs and that's less than I expected it to require. Impossible is difficult enough to challenge the very best players, who will win most but not all of the time. It's where my avatar came from - one of the readers was kind enough to donate that to me. It's also the reason why I'm even on YouTube, as someone in that thread suggested I should stream the game which I still would like to do sometime, but it was sort of the push I needed to get over my insecurities and just go freaking do it and eventually learn to completely suck at it. That LP is now in the Archives and on the Master List. I recommend the fan art in the Mrrshan run highly, while the Sakkra one was the best game of the bunch for gameplay reasons.

Thank you for the reference, I'll check it out. MOO is one of my favorites as well; I even had a crappy GeoCities page dedicated to it, and was active on the newsgroups.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Deep-striking, Golems, and More (23:35)

Didn't get as far in expanding on this one as I wanted to, but lots of stuff came up. We discover our first Alarm Post, do some ARS-hacking, neutering and whipping boys get a mention, and so on. And we also ran into that Nanocaust Suppression Emitter, the desc. of which pretty clearly indicates taking it down is not a benign activity.

Up Next

Finally getting to the chokepoint. I think.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Chokepoints for Fun and Profit (21:41)

A few more systems are gained including that chokepoint along the left side, the Sabotage hack option is demonstrated on the Raid Engine … and I think we may have stirred the AI from its slumber. The mounting threat actually becomes … well, a threat … for the first time, and our first CPA is announced. We spot the new version of the memorable Hive Golem; is it still as obscene as ever? Coordinators appear, a Major Data Center, we're finding all manner of new toys to ponder.

Up Next

The CPA arrives - will it do anything? Looks like we need three more systems to finish scouting the galaxy. We can now see the end of the tunnel, but there's still work to do before we actually get there.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I have to say, I've not quite gotten the hang of deep-striking and claiming a remote system out in the middle of nowhere. Especially if it's got something that needs to be held and defended. I'm always concerned that it's going to be the first target once the AIP spikes up later in the game and it'll become a snowball if/when the AI wipes out a couple of augmenters or Zenith generators or something, so I end up (trying to be) keeping things behind at least one defense system if at all possible.

I note that stealth is a lot easier to get in this game, and is a LOT more useful! The stealth custom fleet transport has ended up being my go-to for neutering systems and prepping things for invasion. Once you get enough hard-hitting ship lines that you can blap a guard post in one volley, then load up a stealth ship and go around pulling the teeth out of everything. It's kinda tedious in some ways, I spend 10-15 minutes prepping a system for invasion, but it basically makes AI counterattacks a non-entity. Why worry about the race to destroy guard posts during an invasion to avoid the counterattack when you can load up your stealth transport and wipe out any chance of it happening in the first place? Then you really can attrition down a super-high defense system because the AI will never do anything about it.

Thinking about it, custom fleets are really the way to go. Park a couple in your backline for quickly redeploying your fleet in the event of a sneak attack. Load up a couple of stealth transports to purge systems of guard posts. Rotate a set of deep-strikers that operate out past support with a set within support range: once the fleet ships have been destroyed and transports crippled, simply swap the ship lines to the fresh transports and get right back into it. You really only need the regular transports for hacking new shiplines, otherwise they can sit in the garage.

It is a bunch of micro, and I'm not sure if that's the intended gameplay the creater expected, but it's certainly a way of doing things.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Unmasking the Overlord (19:19)

The CPA was rather hilariously whimperish on these settings, so it was summarily ignored and we went about the business of grabbing more planets and scouting the rest of the galaxy. Eventually we found the Core Systems and the Overlord itself. Which we're in no position to take on just yet. More old friends of the Golem variety are discovered, and we blast through a couple of Plasma Eyes in obscene brute-force fashion along the way.

Up Next

Having reached an endgame that we aren't prepared for, we need to experiment with some of the things we haven't yet dabbled in, and then get set to pound a path to the Overlord's lair. The conclusion is near, but not yet here. .

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Well, update 1.005 is out and it has quite a lot to process to it.

Steam Announcement, in case the Arcen Website and Wiki are slow and unresponsive again
Release Notes
Even the highlights in the steam announcement is long, so here's a few highlights of the highlights - I recommend checking the steam announcement.
  • Advanced Research Stations now give you a whole bunch of choices on which ship to gain for yourself without you having to spend hacking points every stinking time.
  • Advanced Research Stations can't merge ship lines anymore
  • A whole new structure, Fleet Capacity Extenders, has been added. These let you double the ship cap of any strikecraft or frigate line in the fleet that hacks it. You get to choose the line you want to up the cap on, so it's way more powerful than the confusing ARS mechanic ever was. And these things are very plentiful. May your fleets be ever larger and prosper.
  • Income in general has been slashed from metal harvesters and economic command stations, as it was out of balance.
  • Turrets are no longer quite so energy-hungry, as it was difficult to field all of them.
  • Eyes can now be triggered by the number of fleets on a planet, not just the number of ships.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 6, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Can't please everyone, I guess.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

doctorfrog posted:

Can't please everyone, I guess.

I see that guy all over the place in every strategy game steam forum- he is a real dimwit, lol.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This seems a good change in general. Making stuff consistent and giving players more options is a good thing. From my understanding it makes stuff easier because you can get more mileage from Tech by focusing fewer groups, but, on the other hand, there are enough difficulty levers to make that a moot point.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Panzeh posted:

I see that guy all over the place in every strategy game steam forum- he is a real dimwit, lol.

You're not kidding. His post went unacknowledged, so he made another.

He's a needy dude.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 6, 2019

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
drat, another update!

Oh wait, this game makes starting a new game an insanely low opportunity cost for an RTS.

One thing I don't like though is that it won't save a preset for faction/fleet/allies settings. I'd love to play with all the maps, but use the same mix of participants. Maybe send an RFE to his bug tracker? For now, I just cope...

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I think FroBodine has a point to a degree - tutorials should generally be updated to reflect the latest version of a game. At the same time, the ones that exist are really just meant to give you elementary basics, and if you aren't willing to extrapolate/experiment after that point in your own games then … well, AI War 2 just might not be the thing for you.

El Spamo posted:

One thing I don't like though is that it won't save a preset for faction/fleet/allies settings.

FYI that's already on the Mantis, along with people who want a Random option for basically everything, and so on.

On the deep-striking thing, there are a couple of things that are being talked about to make it more difficult (it's way easier than anyone wants it to be right now). It looks like at least the first thing that's going to happen, go-ahead has now been given for them to work on it, is a rapid-response AI subfleet that comes to stomp you in deepstrike circumstances. Probably scaling with AIP, Difficulty, and distance from the nearest friendly system. Similar to Human Resistance Fighters in functionality, but decidedly unfriendly. It sounds to me like between that and other things play will eventually come around again to a point where you sort of need to establish 'stepping stones' through the galaxy.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I think part of the deep-striking ease was the power of having a stealth transport immediately available no matter what kind of starting scenario you had. With the latest update, you almost MUST take the stealth starting fleet if you want any hope of having a stealth transport available. Between the RNG and the way expansion works there's no reasonable chance you can hope for that a stealth capable transport would be available or accessible.

I do think that making stealth transports squishy is a good thing. Wormholes with tachyon guards makes for a real challenge to bypass. But I don't think that stealth should be quite so hard to get either. A tech-tree option to unlock different styles of transport would be good, or maybe making transports modular in some way to pimp them out with special abilities. Then you can spend limited resources on crafting the fleet you really want. In games like this there's always a 'must-have' option that clearly stands above the rest even if it's only a bit above. For this game, the ability to get to the backline, get hacks in on resources that are remote, take out dangerous installations, those are incredibly powerful no matter what you do.

The game is a bit rogue-like in some sense, there are situations where just the wrong combination of location, unit, and your own advancement can develop an unwinnable scenario. Need to take out that instigator base? Too bad, it's behind a plasma eye, troop enhancer, 6 guard posts, and 150 fleet strength. Contrariwise, you can also end up with a golden setup that makes winning a breeze. So it goes. :)

Anyway, my point is bring back stealth as something you can MAKE happen through costs, even if those costs might be variable. That way sometimes it'll be worth it, and sometimes it won't, and you'll have the (trap) option no matter what.

edit: Also the game is really good, these are nitpicks and wishes, so play it play it and enjoy it.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Cloaking honestly feels like more of a bonus to the AI than the player at the moment. For it to work you need a stealth transport with just cloaked ships, however a) getting a stealth transport is... rare and b) a fleet of cloaked ships isn't necessarily good.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

A couple of things worth noting; just recently they've added the ability to have identical ship lines in the same fleet to the next patch. It's expected to be bug-ridden at first, but it's been one of the top complaints so they've decided to make that happen. Also hacking cost escalate a lot more than the tooltips say currently. I'm hoping this gets changed, but the way it works now is that the second hack of a given type is 20% more than the first, but the third isn't an additional 20% higher - it's 2x as much as the first one, fourth is 3x, and so on.

Crisis Management (24:05)

Today's frivolity is all about how to handle the fallout when you screw up. I finally manage to do so by getting a sizable counterattack wave on my way through some high-mark territory. Right now, these counterattacks are the most reliable way to lose in this game. There's some people on Steam playing one of the quickstarts (A Tale of Two Stars) which has the counter-attack boosting Reconquista AI type and a couple of them are absolutely fit to be tied about the size of the waves it sends when they get wiped in a hostile system. General advice I have is obviously don't screw up in the first place, but once you have don't panic and make things worse, handle the biggest short-term problems first and then work your way back to a manageable situation, however long that takes. We also eventually purge the galaxy of the remaining small Data Centers, getting AIP a bit more under control.

Up Next

It's going to be time to tempt fate and head over to the SuperTerminal soon. There's a couple other things I want to get as well before making the push in to the Overlord's lair on Elban. .

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

1.007, the next patch, will in fact change the hacking thing to being modest increases. So if anyone is thinking about starting a new serious game, I'd recommend waiting till that hits - it's a big deal in terms of hacking strategy flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

1.007 Patch Released

** A bunch of changes to hacking; point costs now scale properly, time required reduced again but also now scales up on difficulties greater than 5, some hacks no longer escalate in cost at all.
** AI Reserve fleet to combat deepstriking 4 hops or more away from friendly territory is now implemented, scales with distance from your territory and the difficulty level of the AI.

And some other things. Naturally they released when I was in the middle of recording the next video, so part of that will be a big disjointed.