Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Missouri just passed medical but that doesn't matter for us close to the river cause Illinois just passed rec weed. It'll be interesting to see if any of that weed money will go towards revitalizing East St Louis.
But I can see it becoming legal nationwide in the next 5 years. There will still be dry counties just like with alcohol and employers will probably take longer to come on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

donald trump is gonna federally legalize marijuana right before the 2020 elections to steal it from democrats.

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I know a guy who makes bump stocks out of weed. He's in a weird situation.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's been legal in Canada for a year now and it still feels like a wonderland to me.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hell Yeah posted:

donald trump is gonna federally legalize marijuana right before the 2020 elections to steal it from democrats.
:2bong::chaostrump::2bong:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Kazak posted:

Is the United States going to end one of their wars on something?

Hmmmmmm

They're trying but people are getting super pissed about it

Personally, I think we should never have gone into Syria in the first place

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
New york and Connecticut will legalize within two to three years, federally I'd say we're looking at closer to 10-15 years because the prison industrial complex really does not want this situation to change.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

New york and Connecticut will legalize within two to three years, federally I'd say we're looking at closer to 10-15 years because the prison industrial complex really does not want this situation to change.

Federally legal does not mean every state has to sell it, it means the sates can actually make it legal. Right now every state selling even medical is technically breaking federal law.

You are talking about full legal sales, which is still different from making it legal. If it is federally legal a state can still make it illegal to have while in their borders and can in fact arrest people from out of state for bringing it in.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

lunch in a crate posted:

Missouri just passed medical but that doesn't matter for us close to the river cause Illinois just passed rec weed. It'll be interesting to see if any of that weed money will go towards revitalizing East St Louis.
But I can see it becoming legal nationwide in the next 5 years. There will still be dry counties just like with alcohol and employers will probably take longer to come on board.

gently caress yeah Illinois legalizing, almost forgot. I'm extremely pumped as a Southeast Wisconsinite, with that caveat that our shithead State Patrol goons will probably ramp up their traffic stops

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's been legal in Canada for a year now and it still feels like a wonderland to me.

It's pretty funny how nothing changed. People still walk deep into the woods near my house, where they can't easily be seen, just to smoke weed.

Or maybe they just like smoking trees among the trees :350:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
It will be right aftwr the Browns win the Super Bowl

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm sad because even if it becomes totally legal my industry prolly won't budge.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

JK Fresco posted:

It will be right aftwr the Dallas Cowboys, America's Team, win the Super Bowl

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i'm movin to one of these weed legal states in january and instead of finding a job I might start a business

like a hotdog stand but for weed

a hotdog stand

for weed

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

oh poo poo would the ice cream man business model work better than hotdog stand i don't fuckin know

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Lemonade stand
For weed

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Tom Gorman posted:

i'm movin to one of these weed legal states in january and instead of finding a job I might start a business

like a hotdog stand but for weed

a hotdog stand

for weed

Doobie's Doob House

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I think part of the difficulty will be for law enforcement to be able to tell if you are currently under the influence. Since alcohol clears the system just about as rapidly as the drunkenness goes away, there are accurate tests that show just how under the influence someone may be. As far as I know, there is nothing similar for weed. This would cause some difficulty for traffic stops, where presence of THC and metabolites in the blood really can't indicate just how under the influence someone is.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Genesplicer posted:

I think part of the difficulty will be for law enforcement to be able to tell if you are currently under the influence. Since alcohol clears the system just about as rapidly as the drunkenness goes away, there are accurate tests that show just how under the influence someone may be. As far as I know, there is nothing similar for weed. This would cause some difficulty for traffic stops, where presence of THC and metabolites in the blood really can't indicate just how under the influence someone is.

This was a problem in Washington, and law enforcement got 1 or 2 years to figure out how to bust people for DUI on weed. But they were never really able to establish a safe limit or anything like that.

I think part of the problem is that everybody is really interested in using it recreationally but nobody is really interested in studying the metabolism and the effects in great detail. You have one side who wants it to be considered generally safe and another side who desperately wants to curtail use, and there's not really an interested middle group who would fund such research.

If the FDA were responsible for licensing dispensaries and establishing safe dosage schedules then you'd probably see a lot more research into metabolism. And if the USDA were responsible for certifying and grading marijuana crops then you could guarantee consistent quality standards. And both of those things would go pretty far toward helping people understand the effects of what they're consuming.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Kirkland Premium Strain Marijuana.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I dunno, how soon will the major tobacco companies decide they can turn a profit selling packs of joints to kids? Once it becomes a good idea to Wall Street, it will be legalized in 6 months.

Weed will never be as profitable as private prisons.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Genesplicer posted:

If you can't tell they're under the influence maybe there's no reason to arrest them for it? I don't understand your point. What difference would cannabis being legal have on law enforcement's difficulty in telling whether someone is currently under the influence? That problem already exists regardless of weed's legal status.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Private Cumshoe posted:

If you can't tell they're under the influence maybe there's no reason to arrest them for it? I don't understand your point. What difference would cannabis being legal have on law enforcement's difficulty in telling whether someone is currently under the influence? That problem already exists regardless of weed's legal status.

Once weed is fully legal, they will have to deal with the fact that there will be some usage along with operating motor vehicles. When weed was illegal at the federal level, just possessing weed was enough to be an issue. Now safe and unsafe levels will need to be established, just as they are for alcohol. That is problematic, as tests for cannabinoids and metabolites will come up positive for weeks after the last time a person partakes, unlike with alcohol where the BAC is reasonably close to the level of impairment at any given moment.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Genesplicer posted:

Once weed is fully legal, they will have to deal with the fact that there will be some usage along with operating motor vehicles. When weed was illegal at the federal level, just possessing weed was enough to be an issue. Now safe and unsafe levels will need to be established, just as they are for alcohol. That is problematic, as tests for cannabinoids and metabolites will come up positive for weeks after the last time a person partakes, unlike with alcohol where the BAC is reasonably close to the level of impairment at any given moment.

I understand that part, I'm just suggesting your naivety that people don't already use and operate motor vehicles. The legality of cannabis has no bearing on the issue, we already have people using legal drugs like Xanax for example that present similar issues to what concerns you. I'm also seriously questioning the premise that we need to be going after hypothetical stealth weed smokers who show no other signs of intoxication other than metabolites who have presumably (lol American cops) already been stopped for a different offense.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Private Cumshoe posted:

I understand that part, I'm just suggesting your naivety that people don't already use and operate motor vehicles. The legality of cannabis has no bearing on the issue, we already have people using legal drugs like Xanax for example that present similar issues to what concerns you. I'm also seriously questioning the premise that we need to be going after hypothetical stealth weed smokers who show no other signs of intoxication other than metabolites who have presumably (lol American cops) already been stopped for a different offense.

I understand what you are saying, but they will need to establish a limit of some sort. Without that, both prosecution and defense will be more difficult. I have a friend who had prescription opioids for a severe back injury. She was taking them as she needed, drove home from work, and was stopped for DUI. She was arrested, charged, tried and convicted of DUI. They will need to be able to do the same for weed. When weed was illegal, it was easy. Catch them driving erratically, suspect weed, do a blood test and ANY level of cannabinoids was enough to establish DUI in the eyes of the law. (I know, I was responsible for running these tests for part of Southern California.) That is no longer the case. Not until they can establish levels, just as they do for alcohol and other drugs, like opioids.

Private Cumshoe posted:

I'm also seriously questioning the premise that we need to be going after hypothetical stealth weed smokers who show no other signs of intoxication other than metabolites who have presumably (lol American cops) already been stopped for a different offense.

It's not stealth. But right now, if they suspect you were driving while high (maybe your car smelled a little like weed) and you did a California Stop at a stop sign, and you have any cannabinoids in your system (Even from that brownie you ate a week ago) that was enough to establish DUI. That will need to change.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Remeber the guy who would huff computer dusters and crash his minivan? Legendary lmao. Those are legal too tho. Over the counter even.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

But then I remember how cops use it to mask the fact that they really dig institutionalized racism, and I feel like a bad person.

You don't actually believe this do you?

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Right now it's still THE DEVIL'S LETTUCE to a lot of people and Reefer Madness is a documentary.

What decade are you posting from?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the movie high life is NOT about smoking the reefer

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Hell Yeah posted:

This is possible too

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

JK Fresco posted:

This is possible too

https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/845005456082821120

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

numberoneposter posted:

Remeber the guy who would huff computer dusters and crash his minivan? Legendary lmao. Those are legal too tho. Over the counter even.

So are whip-its. Really makes you think.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
well since republicans are all for personal rights they will get it legalized right after they get planned parenthood funded again

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Sex Skeleton posted:

So are whip-its. Really makes you think.
Makes me think I want to drive around listening to Major Lazer while doing whip-its until I crash my car.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

RaceBannon posted:

You don't actually believe this do you?

Pretty sure everyone who's made even the slightest loving effort to educate themselves on the issue believes it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Time_pants posted:

A friend of mine was trying to convince me that he firmly believed that marijuana would be legalized on a federal level and well on its way to being available for recreational use in all 50 states within the next three years. Of course, this guy also thought the Browns were guaranteed to win a playoff game this year, so you have to at least admire his relentless optimism.

Legalizing it would be great, but can anyone conceive of this actually happening? Is there any reason to believe that there is even that sort of momentum or political will to even bring this to a vote with even a faint possibility of passing? I look at our legislative branch and I'm not really getting a 4/20 blaze it vibe, and I'm really, really good at telling who's cool to pack a bowl with and who's going to buzzkill if they catch a whiff of that green, and Mitch McConnell was definitely throwing some buzzkill vibes last time I saw him on Face the Nation or My Super Sweet 16 or whatever.

Trying to guess the answer to this and there are a few barriers that need to be overcome, but there are definitely forces pushing things in that direction. Firstly Mitch McConnell is pretty opposed to legalization and right now he may be the biggest stumbling block. Before Federal legislation can move forward either he has to be replaced by someone pro-weed or there has to be meaningful pressure on him to take action. At 77 he is likely to be replaced as Senate Majority Leader within the next 10 years, beyond that interval legalization becomes much more likely. For anything to happen while he is still Majority Leader, the structure of the Senate means that effective pressure must come from within the Republican caucus. While getting a majority of Senate Republicans behind legalization in the next 10 years seems unlikely, even a relatively small bloc could apply enough pressure in cooperation with Democrats to force McConnell's hand.

As seen in states like Colorado and Alaska, following legalization, Federal level politicians who were previously anti-cannabis have generally turned around and become advocates. This isn't that surprising, because most politicians follow the money, and legalization created large pro-cannabis lobbying and donor networks. This means that Republican Senators who are now opposed or indifferent to legalization can be converted into advocates through state level legalization. For this reason, I believe the best way to force national cannabis legalization is to win ballot initiatives in states with Republican Senators. Fortunately next election we will have several of these in states like Arizona, Florida, and North Dakota. Within four years I think there will be sufficient support within the Republican party to force legislation through Congress even if the leadership is still opposed.

Now most likely we'll have to win take a few small wins at first. One of the most important gradualist changes on the way to complete legalization is to liberalize cannabis banking. This seems esoteric, but it has huge potential power. This is because by liberalizing the financing of cannabis business, allowing large national corporations to participate and money to cross state lines, we create a much more powerful pro-cannabis lobby. The point is to inject money into the fight. We have already seen the power of unleashing money to make change, legalization in just a few states has created an explosion of well financed efforts to fight for legalization. Unleash the money and business interests will be able to apply more pressure for descheduling than grass-roots activists could ever dream of.

Alternatively if Democrats can win the Senate and House it's likely they could get legalization passed. That seems unlikely in the next two years at least, but who knows. I'd estimate that given the present rate of change there will be sufficient bipartisan consensus on drug-liberalization that will will see de-scheduling within four-six years. State level criminalization might continue decades in a few states but the vast majority of people I think will be free to toke within that time frame.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Genesplicer posted:

I understand what you are saying, but they will need to establish a limit of some sort. Without that, both prosecution and defense will be more difficult. I have a friend who had prescription opioids for a severe back injury. She was taking them as she needed, drove home from work, and was stopped for DUI. She was arrested, charged, tried and convicted of DUI. They will need to be able to do the same for weed. When weed was illegal, it was easy. Catch them driving erratically, suspect weed, do a blood test and ANY level of cannabinoids was enough to establish DUI in the eyes of the law. (I know, I was responsible for running these tests for part of Southern California.) That is no longer the case. Not until they can establish levels, just as they do for alcohol and other drugs, like opioids.

It's not stealth. But right now, if they suspect you were driving while high (maybe your car smelled a little like weed) and you did a California Stop at a stop sign, and you have any cannabinoids in your system (Even from that brownie you ate a week ago) that was enough to establish DUI. That will need to change.

I'm still not following your argument, but I think I was unfair to you earlier, from what I can tell it doesn't seem like you're in favor of keeping the federal ban until, um, whatever you think needs figuring out needs to be figured out?

If that's the case I'll stop but your mishmash of anecdotes make it confusing as to what you're trying to get at.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

numberoneposter posted:

Makes me think I want to drive around listening to Major Lazer while doing whip-its until I crash my car.

Wait, are you not already daggering like crazy while driving???

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

ubachung posted:

Pretty sure everyone who's made even the slightest loving effort to educate themselves on the issue believes it.

it makes it super true because you said loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Chinatown posted:

Kirkland Premium Strain Marijuana.

In WA state Costcos have trouble retaining forklift drivers. If a driver has a trace of weed in their system and gets in a minor accident on the lift even if not at fault (super common), they have to take a drug test immediately. If weed is detected from a week before it’s treated as being drunk on the forklift, instant termination.

So warehouses are having a lot of trouble getting employees to drive, and if someone can operate power equipment and can pass drug tests they are likely to leave and begin work in the red hot construction industry for more pay.