Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seag ages is so great and I hope one day they can graduate to doing saturn or dreamcast games. If anyone could figure it out it'd be m2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
I wish they'd re-release all the Treasure on the PS4 and Switch, Guardian Heroes and RSG are locked to XBLA and Gunstar, etc to the Wii, PS2 and 3DS. Japanese Silhouette Mirage would be nice too, as far as I know it's still Saturn only. I hope there's not some bullshit rights issue.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Storm One posted:

I wish they'd re-release all the Treasure on the PS4 and Switch, Guardian Heroes and RSG are locked to XBLA and Gunstar, etc to the Wii, PS2 and 3DS. Japanese Silhouette Mirage would be nice too, as far as I know it's still Saturn only. I hope there's not some bullshit rights issue.

Don't forget there's a few shmups on xbox, like raystorm HD and radiant silver gun hd. They (game publishers) really should put out more classics

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Storm One posted:

Treasure's rights are all over the place - Sega owns all their Mega Drive games, most of their GBA games and others like Guardian Heroes, various other publishers own individual games and then Treasure owns the rights to a few (Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Silhouette Mirage and Bangai-O) but they don't always own the rights to specific ports/versions so they still can't put them out again - Microsoft paid for Silvergun HD, for example, so that specific version's tied up with them.

The other problem is Treasure isn't really a functioning developer anymore and it's all they can manage to port Ikaruga once every few years.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Treasure's rights are all over the place - Sega owns all their Mega Drive games, most of their GBA games and others like Guardian Heroes, various other publishers own individual games and then Treasure owns the rights to a few (Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Silhouette Mirage and Bangai-O) but they don't always own the rights to specific ports/versions so they still can't put them out again - Microsoft paid for Silvergun HD, for example, so that specific version's tied up with them.

The other problem is Treasure isn't really a functioning developer anymore and it's all they can manage to port Ikaruga once every few years.

I thought it's also kind of nicalis that's helping push that out as well.

But yeah there is a lot of old video games that deserve to be at least released in some form on modern consoles.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

RSG HD is missing features the Saturn port had like the hitbox viewer/ship speed that you'd open up over time so I would be fine with a brand new port of that anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love this releases and I hope covid hasn't hosed up M2's plans too much. I'd really love Ristar, that amazing original arcade conversion they did for Fantasy Zone 2, and whatever for Saturn/Dreamcast. I did have a lot of these games on 3DS but it's just so much more comfortable to play them on Switch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love this releases and I hope covid hasn't hosed up M2's plans too much. I'd really love Ristar, that amazing original arcade conversion they did for Fantasy Zone 2, and whatever for Saturn/Dreamcast. I did have a lot of these games on 3DS but it's just so much more comfortable to play them on Switch.

Herzog Zwei is the last game they're doing for Sega Ages at this stage - after that, it's up in the air as to whether they'll end up doing a second run of games or which hardware they'll target.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zeether posted:

RSG HD is missing features the Saturn port had like the hitbox viewer/ship speed that you'd open up over time so I would be fine with a brand new port of that anyway.

Oh really? The Xbox 360 port is a little rough graphically too so a new port would be great too. But yeah I'm really interested to see what M2 is doing next.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chu Chu Rocket with online play and its not even close for me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone have any Outrun tips? I’m trying to complete run on the default difficulty and I can only barely make it to the 4th branch.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Part of keeping your speed up in OutRun is, paradoxically, learning to modulate the brake and when you need to down shift. Crashing is the worst thing you can do, so slowing down to avoid crashing or even going off the road will do a lot more for your time than not. Going off the road makes speeding back up really hard to do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to a Game Watch interview, Herzog Zwei will be the final Sega Ages release.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Final? What the gently caress? There's still so much to release

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I thought they were doing them in "seasons” and this was the last of the first batch. We don't even have Fantasy Zone II!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Typical Sega.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heath posted:

I thought they were doing them in "seasons” and this was the last of the first batch. We don't even have Fantasy Zone II!

They always said this might be the only batch and that they wouldn't be making a decision either way about more games until they were all done.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Phantasy Star IV or we riot

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Disappointing they are closing this batch up so soon, because these have all been great and arguably the best "Ages" collection yet. I'm frustrated they only barely dipped their toe outside of SMS/Genesis porting this time around. Virtua Racing makes up for it a bit but there are countless other Model 1/2/3/Saturn games dying to get this treatment.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Claytor posted:

Phantasy Star IV or we riot

It's on the Sega collection

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zophar posted:

there are countless other Model 1/2/3/Saturn games dying to get this treatment.
There really are. I wonder just how screwed SEGA's archives must be if the perceived labor cost of digging up/upscaling some ports isn't worth the quick cash.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Considering they lost the source to loving Daytona USA, very.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sega fans: Sega please we already have so many copies of Sonic and other System 16/SMS titles. Please branch out a bit. A crumb.

Sega: Did I hear Sonic and Columns?! Wait why isn't anyone buying these, kill the initiative

Some of the stuff on the Astro City mini would have been nice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

It's on the Sega collection

That collection sucks poo poo on Switch with massive input lag. Although that doesn’t matter much for RPGs.

I’m looking forward to Herzog Zwei. It sounds like a really interesting unique game like Gain Ground.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 25, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sorry for the double post but Herzog Zwei is out!:siren:

Any impressions? I've never played it but it looks fun and the fact that it's apparently the father of RTS games interests me.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 25, 2020

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sorry for the double post but Herzog Zwei is out!:siren:

Any impressions? I've never played it but it looks fun and the fact that it's apparently the father of RTS games interests me.

Thanks, I just bought it!

I'll see if I can post about it when I get home from "work"

Sega is so loving terrible about their poo poo, I had to find out from a random forum post this was released :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It looks really fun so I’ll probably pick it up soon. Grabbed Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone and Lightning Force from this latest sale.

A ton of the Ages games are currently on sale on Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

Sega is so loving terrible about their poo poo, I had to find out from a random forum post this was released :smith:

They announced it on their social media platforms including Twitter
https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/1309130477694005250
so if you were following them somewhere you'd have seen it.

And they also updated the Sega Ages web site.

It will probably be featured in the news section of the eShop when Nintendo feels like updating it.

Were you expecting more?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Should probably cross-post this: M2's new Sega-centric project is Aleste Collection for Switch and PS4, covering the console versions of Compile's 8-bit shmups

Games announced are:
Aleste (aka Power Strike) (1988, Master System)
GG Aleste (1991, Game Gear)
GG Aleste II (aka Power Strike II) (1993, Game Gear)
Power Strike II (Never released in Japan) (1993, Master System)
GG Aleste 3 (Brand new game because M2) (2020, Game Gear)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Kins posted:

Should probably cross-post this: M2's new Sega-centric project is Aleste Collection for Switch and PS4, covering the console versions of Compile's 8-bit shmups

Games announced are:
Aleste (aka Power Strike) (1988, Master System)
GG Aleste (1991, Game Gear)
GG Aleste II (aka Power Strike II) (1993, Game Gear)
Power Strike II (Never released in Japan) (1993, Master System)
GG Aleste 3 (Brand new game because M2) (2020, Game Gear)

That's cool but why not the 16-bit ones like Musha

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's cool but why not the 16-bit ones like Musha

Wondering the same, but there will probably be a second collection at some point, much like the Psikyo ones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Every AGES port is on sale right now, including Herzog Zwei, which I just picked up along with Phantasy Star and Thunder Force AC.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

How did you like the Zwei? That's the first game I ever learned to exploit the AI to beat, which I always remember (for ruining my enjoyment of the game)

It's amazingly good two player on the OG hardware but I dunno how a port would feel

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiderdrake posted:

How did you like the Zwei? That's the first game I ever learned to exploit the AI to beat, which I always remember (for ruining my enjoyment of the game)

It's amazingly good two player on the OG hardware but I dunno how a port would feel

I don't have my head fully around it yet but I'm enjoying it. It's a really good port so I'm sure multiplayer would be good on it as well. I'll give it a go next time my gf is here.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't have my head fully around it yet but I'm enjoying it. It's a really good port so I'm sure multiplayer would be good on it as well. I'll give it a go next time my gf is here.
It's all a foggy memory but resource acquisition is the name of the game, the 'attack if provoked' field command is worth buying for most units and missiles only impact opposing players.

In a lot of ways it's weird how much the game is... Realistic. Logistics is everything, specialized equipment is for specialized fights and your troops get lost in swamps. Like, a lot.

Also only sometimes are there boats.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1354742836185288706

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

God I hope they can do more on Switch even if it’s not on the Ages banner. I love all of these.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Where is the Fantasy Zone II remake :choco:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

Where is the Fantasy Zone II remake :choco:

I was hoping they could at least do that one and Gunstar Heroes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

God I hope they can do more on Switch even if it’s not on the Ages banner. I love all of these.
They did the recent Namcot Collections and Collection of Mana, just put out Aleste Collection and ESP Ra.De. Psi, and are just about to put out Darius Cozmic Revelation. They're not dropping the Switch anytime soon, but they might be a bit shmup-centric.