Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The ones you really can't stand

Son of Sun is optional but easily the worst part of Chrono Trigger. Such a stupid fight.

That stupid spider in Metroid Fusion

That even stupider spider in Mega Man X

The completely unfair genie boss in Gauntlet: Dark Legacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Most SNK fighting game bosses qualify. Special shoutouts to Rugal 2k2 that son of bitch :argh:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

That even stupider spider in Mega Man X

Ugggggh, Bospider is the worst. I've had so many people be all "It's a really easy puzzle! Just figure out where it can't land." Yeah, well, I'm a big dum-dum and can't do it that fast.

Rangda Bangda (the face one) is super neat looking, but it always gave me a hard time when I was younger, too.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I don't think I ever beat Yellow Devil without save states or rewinding

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

chaleski posted:

I don't think I ever beat Yellow Devil without save states or rewinding

The Pause glitch with Elec Man's weapon takes it down super duper fast. Though that only applies to the original version of the game, I think.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I played Ys 1 some time ago to find out what's the series is all about and both the first and last boss suck poo poo. They just feel unpredictable and cheaty.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Ugggggh, Bospider is the worst. I've had so many people be all "It's a really easy puzzle! Just figure out where it can't land." Yeah, well, I'm a big dum-dum and can't do it that fast.
Yeah this one sucks, because as far as I know, those types of games are really popular in Japan, and children grow up with them. In the west, of course, not so much, so you need to understand what the gently caress it's even doing first. Still, I like that one.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Metal Sonic and MechaRobotnik at the end of Sonic 2.

Metal Sonic is pretty easy but the hitbox on MechaRobotnik is so tiny and having no rings is torture :cry:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It wasn't until this year when playing Castlevania 3 where I finally found a faultless strategy to take out that loving doppleganger boss who just really likes faking you out as to where they jump.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Robotnik at the end of Ice Cap Zone in Sonic 3. gently caress that guy. I made sure I was always Super Sonic at that point because I hated it so much.

Robotnik at the end of Sonic Spinball. gently caress you and your socks flinging me back outside the ship. As an adult now I understand that there's a sequence to learn but when I was a dumb kid I didn't figure that out.

Demon's Gate in FFVII, again as a kid I was usually underlevelled and he would kick my arse. Sweet revenge playing as an adult now though.

The final boss in Revenge of Shinobi. That and the truck/train thing with the bombs on it.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
The secret boss from Demon's Crest. Holy poo poo that fight is slog. The fight is hard enough on it's own, but he just has so much health it's just a game of attrition.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Morpha still gets me. Trying to hookshot it is freakin impossible.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Shadow Link in OoT's Water Temple. I give up on fighting him fairly with my sword and just Din's Fire him to death every time.

Nine-Ball in most Armored Core games, but especially the first one - Generally speaking, Nine-Ball is specifically programmed to have every single 'hack' in the game imaginable. For example:
  • I'm pretty sure his AC is technically overweight, but the game ignores that limit for him. (Note: it's not, but he has a weapon that is otherwise unobtainable by the player so it may well be).
  • He can use shoulder weapons while on the move despite using humanoid legs - ACs with human legs generally have to take a knee and remain stationary while firing heavy shoulder weapons.
  • Also, one of his shoulder weapons is the Grenade Launcher - the heaviest hitting gun in the game.
  • He has a fuckton of energy and will remain airborne seemingly indefinitely.
  • He can fire energy waves from his sword, which will also hit like a truck AND has infinite ammo.
  • The AI is better at controlling ACs than you and Nine-Ball's AI exploits this to the limit

In some of the games, you can fight him in an arena with a low ceiling which negates most of his advantages (because he can't go airborne forever, it's a lot easier to target him and you can outlast him in a war of attrition). But he gets a special mention in the first game because his appearance there is extreme levels of bullshit. Nine-Ball only appears in the last mission, but he appears twice and he initially appears after one of the most tedious platforming sections in an early 3D game ever. You'll also take some damage before getting to him, so you never quite get to fight him when you're at 100% (which further ratchets up the difficulty).

Anyways, when you take him on in the final stage, you will lose. The area you fight him in is especially well-suited to his advantages (the ceiling is very, very high) and the moment he sees you he starts making GBS threads grenades which will take at least 10% of your health (much more if you're in a Light AC).

What the game doesn't communicate to you however is that the Sir Robin strategy works - if you just run away and try to head for the end of the level, you can usually get away from him.

Not content to let you get away with that though, there are actually two Nine-Balls in the final level. After running away from the first one, you'll enter an area where there is a second one waiting for you. It really is a second one, too - if you destroy the first Nine-Ball, this one will still be there waiting for you.

Needless to say, this was very frustrating for me to overcome as a teenager. Eventually, running away from both was the strategy that won the day.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

LuiCypher posted:

Shadow Link in OoT's Water Temple. I give up on fighting him fairly with my sword and just Din's Fire him to death every time.

Shadow Link in Zelda II was total bullshit as well.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

LuiCypher posted:

Horizontal attacks with the hammer are nearly as cheesy

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
That loving Antlion boss on Sonic 2 for Game Gear is literally impossible due to the way the screen is cropped.

Also Vargas in the SNES version of Final Fantasy 6, I was a dumbass child who couldn’t figure out how Blitz worked for a decade.

There’s also a Tarantula boss in Lufia 2 I never figured out before I had to return the game to blockbuster :(

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Agreed on Bospider. I love Megaman X but that stupid spider throws me off every goddamn time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

bradzilla posted:

the hitbox on MechaRobotnik is so tiny and having no rings is torture :cry:
He had multiple places where you can hit him and you would be stupid to bounce him where his spikes stick out.

Salabog on Secret of Evermore. More HP than the next three bosses and one of them is a chapter-ending boss. Plays hide and seek half the time and alchemy is garbage at this point.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Is there a worse boss than the wall crash bomb one in Mega Man 2? I think that might actually be the worst boss design in history.

LuiCypher posted:

I'm honestly not sure what they were going for here. They set up this awesome sword duel and then you can't use your sword because he just perfect counters it every time, and you have to use whatever big heavy weapons you have instead because the AI doesn't react to it. Like, maybe that was the idea? Outsmart your equal by using outside-the-box weapons? Doesn't seem right. An actual proper sword fight there would have been amazing.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Metal Sonic and MechaRobotnik at the end of Sonic 2.

Metal Sonic is pretty easy but the hitbox on MechaRobotnik is so tiny and having no rings is torture :cry:

Sonic 3's final boss was harder if you didn't have rings. The only saving grace was you had the opportunity to collect loads in Act 2 of Launch Base Zone as well as a useful shield.

If you're Super Sonic you need at least 100 rings or else you run out by the time you get to the platform.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

magikid posted:

Is there a worse boss than the wall crash bomb one in Mega Man 2? I think that might actually be the worst boss design in history.

Oh yes, that one was loving dumb. It made the game chuggy, wasn't clear, design was poo poo AND you needed a special weapon. It's not that hard when you know what to do, but holy hell is it a combo of bad ideas.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i don't like draygon in super metroid

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the Bloody Mary boss in Terranigma was so ridiculous (I think it took over 200 hits to kill her) that I almost quit the game over it, and according to google/youtube I am not alone. there's people who do speedruns of just that bossfight because of how ridiculous it is. I think it took me over half an hour to beat her in realtime (not including deaths or anything). that poo poo sucked.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

He had multiple places where you can hit him and you would be stupid to bounce him where his spikes stick out.

What the hell, me and my friends only ever knew about hitting him on the belly. I remember literally praying for the person that was playing to be able to beat it. We never did.

Where else can you hit him?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

This oval office

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

magikid posted:

it reminds me of the bad attempts at non-standard boss design i see in mario maker.

Chrs posted:

This oval office

she's not even that bad it's just the "sends you back to the autoscroller level that fakes you out" part that's poo poo. thank goodness for the level skip code.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Chrs posted:

This oval office

jesus christ that thing is pretty terrifying for a game featuring a dolphin as the main character

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

bradzilla posted:

jesus christ that thing is pretty terrifying for a game featuring a dolphin as the main character

I feel like that could apply to....most everything in both of the Genesis games, really.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

the Bloody Mary boss in Terranigma was so ridiculous (I think it took over 200 hits to kill her) that I almost quit the game over it, and according to google/youtube I am not alone. there's people who do speedruns of just that bossfight because of how ridiculous it is. I think it took me over half an hour to beat her in realtime (not including deaths or anything). that poo poo sucked.
Just level up some more and you do 50 damage a shot.

bradzilla posted:

What the hell, me and my friends only ever knew about hitting him on the belly. I remember literally praying for the person that was playing to be able to beat it. We never did.

Where else can you hit him?
You can hit his butt, but the flame might hit you. The rocket engine is easy enough and everyone hits him there.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Phantasium posted:

she's not even that bad it's just the "sends you back to the autoscroller level that fakes you out" part that's poo poo. thank goodness for the level skip code.

Autoscroller level that fakes you out and has enemies that can swim through the walls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think only like 10 people ever got that far but the last boss in Thousand Arms (THE DARKNESS) was mega-trash. He had an ability to freeze you in a crystal and heal himself.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The loving Nightmare Mother from Mega Man X6, definitely.

Also Gate.

Also Infinity Mijinion.

You know what? gently caress it, all of Mega Man X6 could go here.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aniodia posted:

The loving Nightmare Mother from Mega Man X6, definitely.

Also Gate.

Also Infinity Mijinion.

You know what? gently caress it, all of Mega Man X6 could go here.
How many good MMX games even are there? 1 and 2?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

X1/4/8 are good, X2 is okay but not great, X3/5/6 are varying degrees of not hot, and while I like X7, it's....its own beast and troubled. The Xtreme games are good if you are alright with "downgraded for GBC" versions of X1-3, and Command Mission is a decent enough RPG.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

and 4 at least. I don't mind 3 but after replaying it in the collection i know why people are down on it now.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Phantasium posted:

and 4 at least. I don't mind 3 but after replaying it in the collection i know why people are down on it now.

If you want, give it a shot again sometime, with the Zero hack. Its base goal is to make Zero fully playable, but it also fixes a lot of the stuff that makes the game not all that good. I'd go so far as it takes the game from bottom tier for me, to up with the good ones.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nonono you've got me wrong, i like x3, i'm just no longer confused as to why people were hating on it.

once somebody pointed out that half the bosses just use an attack to dash at you while you're on the wall, i can't help but notice it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ah, misread then! Still, if you haven't, give that hack a go sometime. I don't think it changes any boss patterns, but it does fix a lot of issues. Like making the underwater ride armor not The Worst.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Demon Wall in Final Fantasy IV can gently caress right off. I've got a good success rate against it but that poo poo is the most stressful thing I've ever had in video games.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

1 is good outside the aforementioned bospider. The Sigma fight was challenging but not entirely unfair.
2 is meh. Tunnel RhinoWheel Gator was an annoying fight, and some of the jumps are just annoyingly dumb.
3 is good.
4 is... okay? Playing as Zero is hard as hell.
5 is good.
6 is... meh.
7 and 8 are trash.

Edit: dumb typo, tunnel Rhino was in 3, not 2!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, Bloody Mary from Terranigma. Yeesh.